2012 Mason Comet Football

JediMaster

Unfortunately the season has come to an end, but the fortunate thing is that "there's always next year"... The way I see it is that next years squad will almost solely be focused on the RB position (as they have been for the past 5 years) and are losing a lot more than they did last year... Not only are key starters from the defense gone but practically the entire offense (except Johnson) will be gone as well... A little curious to see how the upcoming off-season shapes up in regards to getting the entire O-line replaced... The line was a HUGE factor in the success the team had offensively, and the younger guys playing next year are going to have to dedicate themselves to that weight room in order to fill all the cleats left by the 2012 class... Just making sure, the OOC games are 2 year contracts, correct? I can't wait to see what the next line-up of games is going to be... With Mason getting better an better every year, the times when Mason was scheduling for the Crosstown showdowns might be making a return... Though I have heard that Castner isn't a big fan of the showdown and would prefer to play the opening game at home if possible...

They do return all of their backs. Shaeffer, Johnson, McCrea, and Stewart. I wouldn't be surprised to see Stewart playing linebacker next year with Hauser returning. The defense will be in pretty good shape, they return 2 DL in Hamel and Hurley and all 3 safeties and 1 CB. So defense should be good. Replacing the line will be the issue, they have some giants on the OL but I don't know how good they will be. I wouldn't be surprised to see 5/6 sophmores playing quite a bit next year.

Coach Castner will continue to have high expectations for the players. Those expectations were voiced time and time again by the coaching staff this season (like after the Colerain game).

The numbers are there. The coaches have shown they can coach players up. The strength program is modeled after St Xavier and there is already a group of student leaders who will "get after it" in the off season program.

The Freshman team was undefeated and unlike past years, one or two of the best young players will not leave for Moeller or St. X because they have "bought in" to the family approach of the Castners. There may also be a couple of move ins who for various reasons may come to Southwest Ohio and not necessarily think private school football when there is a public school like Mason with the great package of academics, facilities, top notch league and coaches.

Just a few more seats are needed to be filled on "The Bus".

How will the Comets be able to not only a whole o-line but, also key players such as Dooley, Sprague, Suess, Lewis and Spencer. Strong jv and freshmen should help but, you need leaders.

When it comes to new leaders, there's always someone willing to step up and take charge, especially with Castner leading the way... Whether it be as a collective (as the seniors of '11), or a few individual (vocally Spencer this past season), there's always going to be leaders for the Comets...

Anyone know how workouts has been going? How are the lineman looking up? Still doing morning workouts? Thanks
:thumb:

Ok, Comet fans...as of today, the first game is four weeks away!

I can't remember the last time a Mason team lost so many two year starters. That being said, there were 39 juniors listed on last season's roster which is also unusually high. It will be interesting to see how the season unfolds with all the inexperience on offense (but no complaints with the returning backfield).

So what's the buzz in Comet Country?

Looks like Jensen the Springboro transfer will be the starter after today's 4 way scrimmage. Will be interesting with the sophomore next year and get a year of a new speed. This Mason team has a chance to do some damage in the GMC.

Looks like Jensen the Springboro transfer will be the starter after today's 4 way scrimmage. Will be interesting with the sophomore next year and get a year of a new speed. This Mason team has a chance to do some damage in the GMC.
As a Mason fan, I have been pretty skeptical about this year, but today eased my doubts. The line is huge, probably bigger than last year once they get used to each other they should be fine. Darryl Johnson looked great and was very hard to tackle in space. But Mason's Defense was the best part of the day, they forced many turnovers and hit hard. Mason this year won't be an easy win for anyone on their schedule.
So after the first scrimmage, I basically heard (I couldn't be there) everything that you stated. Castner said 4 of the top 8 defensive linemen were actually out for the four-way. I'm not sure how many of those guys were able to play yesterday (I saw one who was definitely out) but based on what I've seen and heard, I think the defense should do well if everyone gets healthy.

Were you able to go to the Elder/Withrow scrimmage last night? Since I wasn't at the first one, I'm not really able to compare. I'm guessing Mason had a lot more trouble running the ball last night than Tuesday. The passing game looked good but this is a run-first team that struggled on the ground. Of course they did keep it simple and didn't always use Johnson, but I was expecting more success. Thoughts?

Chat with Coach Castner

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/preps/2012/08/08/chat-with-mason-football-coach-brian-castner-at-noon/

Nothing earth-shattering, really, but I liked what he said about scheduling:

We just added for the 2013 season Winton Woods and got rid of Glen Este. Our non league will be Springboro, Winton Woods and still looking for a third which could be a Columbus team.

Who is one team, not in your league, that you would love to play on an annual basis?

Lebanon.
Winton Woods is typically strong and worth a lot of valuable Harbins. And I would love to have Lebanon back on the schedule.

Were you able to go to the Elder/Withrow scrimmage last night? Since I wasn't at the first one, I'm not really able to compare. I'm guessing Mason had a lot more trouble running the ball last night than Tuesday. The passing game looked good but this is a run-first team that struggled on the ground. Of course they did keep it simple and didn't always use Johnson, but I was expecting more success. Thoughts?

I thought Elder was a much better team defensively than Lasalle. So taking that into consideration, I thought we did alright. With the way Mason runs the ball, it will come, its usually the thing that comes last. Its hard to see in a scrimmage setting because they are just testing thing and not really putting a script together and such. But the passing game looks amazing for a pretty depleted receiving core and a brand new QB.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/preps/2012/08/08/chat-with-mason-football-coach-brian-castner-at-noon/

Nothing earth-shattering, really, but I liked what he said about scheduling:

Winton Woods is typically strong and worth a lot of valuable Harbins. And I would love to have Lebanon back on the schedule.

The offer to Lebanon goes out every time there is an opening on the schedule (over the last 5-10 years), Lebanon for whatever reason does not want to play Mason.

The offer to Lebanon goes out every time there is an opening on the schedule (over the last 5-10 years), Lebanon for whatever reason does not want to play Mason.
That’s disappointing. I remember a few years ago, Mason played a team from Columbus the same night Lebanon played a team from Northern Kentucky. Such a waste for both schools both financially and Harbin-wise.
I thought Elder was a much better team defensively than Lasalle. So taking that into consideration, I thought we did alright. With the way Mason runs the ball, it will come, its usually the thing that comes last. Its hard to see in a scrimmage setting because they are just testing thing and not really putting a script together and such. But the passing game looks amazing for a pretty depleted receiving core and a brand new QB.
I tend to agree with that. Of, course, that’s why you scrimmage teams like Elder, to improve, and it is just a scrimmage.

So apparently Mason’s first team vs Milford’s first team was a complete mismatch. I heard Milford’s first team may not have even gotten a first down and the Comets scored on like their first four possessions. I don’t think Milford’s going to be any kind of gauge at all but I’d rather dominate than not dominate. Observations?

Week 1: Springboro @ Mason

I feel a lot better about where the Comet defense is at this point verses the same time last year. There are a lot of new faces so it will be interesting to see how they do on Friday night. I have a good feeling about this Comet team but I really don’t know what to expect from Boro. Thoughts?

I mean Springboro lost their top two QBs last year and their running back. I know they have a big OT commited to Iowa. But I see Mason winning by atleast 2 scores if not more. It will be interesting to see how Mason does this year because this will be the first year that people actually see Mason as favorites outside of the Mason area and I would think people in the Mason area had lesser thoughts than the previous years.

If this team keeps getting better, Mason can do some serious contending in the GMC if not southwest Ohio. Their passing game hasn't been stopped yet and we know Darryl can run the ball. While the defense is very physical and making many plays in the secondary. If I were to pick a weak spot on this team it would be the defensive line and a strong point I would say the DBs.

I mean Springboro lost their top two QBs last year and their running back. I know they have a big OT commited to Iowa. But I see Mason winning by atleast 2 scores if not more. It will be interesting to see how Mason does this year because this will be the first year that people actually see Mason as favorites outside of the Mason area and I would think people in the Mason area had lesser thoughts than the previous years.

If this team keeps getting better, Mason can do some serious contending in the GMC if not southwest Ohio. Their passing game hasn't been stopped yet and we know Darryl can run the ball. While the defense is very physical and making many plays in the secondary. If I were to pick a weak spot on this team it would be the defensive line and a strong point I would say the DBs.
Well we are about to find out. It seems to me the D-line was banged up when I had occasion to see them but you could be right. The first game of the year is usually pretty difficult to get a good feel for. Springboro was expecting to have one of their best teams last season but it ended up being pretty disappointing. But I will say there's something I really like about this Mason team. The offense is almost entirely new but they looked pretty sharp early. The defense was more shaky last preseason compared to this one; I just have a lot more confidence in it going into the first game. We'll see if it translates to Friday nights. Less than 24 hours!

GO COMETS

Anyone know the story on Jensen? I heard he was suspended from something from the OHSAA, but do not know any other details.. Anyone confirm this and elaborate on it?

I heard Sophomore Rodney Hutchinson will be starting tonight, thats all I really know. I wouldn't expect much difference in the offense, but he probably has the best arm on the team.

I think it was somewhat expected when you graduate almost an entire offense. Give it some time, they will improve each week.

Just thought I’d consolidate the thoughts on the game from the "GMC Week 1 " thread:
Mason apparently did nothing offensively. No run game whatsoever. Their offensive line is not very good. I know Springboro is pretty good, but this could be a long season for Mason. Personally, I thought they would be good again.
I didn't... Lost too many players, not enough ammunition to reload
Mason fans knew this was going to be a year of struggles and kids getting experience. However I don't know how it all played out but OHSAA ruled Mason's starting QB ineligible to play like two days before the first game. You would think you would get more notice than two days before the first game or maybe it was ignored. But regardless the sophomore QB was not to blame for the no offense tonight, he actually looked pretty good.

The problem with Mason goes to three spots. Offensive line is big and super soft, they have 3 kids at 6'3" or taller and all weigh 250+lbs. Then they act they are playing with pillows. Next is the defensive line, they play like they have roller skates on. There is absolutely no size here. Lastly is where I think the game was lost, the receivers. They drop passes, they were slow, they ran poor routes, they wouldn't go after balls.

All in all, I still think this Mason team can make it to the play-offs and go 7-3 but its going to come down to the growth of the young kids. I think 6 or 7 sophomores were in tonight. But coming into this season I thought they were a very average team, then they surprised me against Lasalle and Elder in the scrimmages and competed well
Mason graduated six seniors, 3 of which play at the next level, who rotated on the O-line for the past two years. Not sure how you can expect an entirely new O-line to do anything but struggle until they become a more cohesive unit. They will improve as the season goes on as they have excellent coaching.
^That sums it up. Mason stunk last night. I would have expected just that if the scrimmages hadn’t looked so promising…hopefully I won’t fall for that again. :laugh:

BUT, as terrible as Mason played, they still had a chance to win the game. But on Mason’s final drive, Mason decided to run it (was that supposed to be a draw???) on 3rd and 15. The play before was a pass play that netted 0 yards. On 4th and 15, do or die, Mason had the QB under center. I can’t think of one thing the Comets did well last night, aside from allowing only 10 points (but Springboro had several of their 9 penalties near the red zone to assist the Comets in that regard). I will say that Darryl Johnson ran extremely hard, and earned every yard he got. He barely got shoe-sting tackled on the hook and lateral which would have put the Comets ahead.

But I agree with MVD1962, this team is pretty green and we can expect them to improve. I’ve seen Mason teams that looked terrible early, look great at the end of the year and make the playoffs.

Anyway, Lancaster’s Wing-T rushed for over 400 yards against the Comets last year. Hopefully the Mason offense can sustain some drives so the defense doesn’t have to keep running back onto the field all night.

So, is Harris out for the year? What violation, if any, occurred?

The offense can only get better, as the new guys gain more friday night game experience.. I don't know how long it will take to get acclimated to the speed of varsity football, but it seems like once the offense finally gets going, it should be a pretty good year for the comets again.. The next two games are must wins to make the playoffs, unless the comets can take 1 and then 6 of the 7 conference games, however the odds of that are pretty slim. They don't play Jalin Marshall this year, so that helps dealing without the probable loss... Hutchinson is only a sophomore and if he can get in the weight room and develop into the athlete he could be, come his senior year he could be a hard SOB to bring down and
stop... Good luck against Lancaster, Comets!!

The offense can only get better, as the new guys gain more friday night game experience.. I don't know how long it will take to get acclimated to the speed of varsity football, but it seems like once the offense finally gets going, it should be a pretty good year for the comets again.. The next two games are must wins to make the playoffs, unless the comets can take 1 and then 6 of the 7 conference games, however the odds of that are pretty slim. They don't play Jalin Marshall this year, so that helps dealing without the probable loss... Hutchinson is only a sophomore and if he can get in the weight room and develop into the athlete he could be, come his senior year he could be a hard SOB to bring down and
stop... Good luck against Lancaster, Comets!!

The thing about Hutchinson there isn't much time for the weight room. The kid plays like every sport imaginable. He played varsity baseball last year as a frosh...

10 new starters on offense including 2 sophs. Most others got no playing time last year. I'm not ready to give up on the O line yet. They do need to get better quickly.

Anybody know the seating capacity of Dwire Field? Standing room only crowd was great to see even though the game was a let down. Hang in there, we'll see improvement.

Dwyer can seat 7,000. Given how people like their space, there were probably 6,000 in attendance.

Plenty of room in the second half when a few youth football parents left with their future Comets.