2 Day school week this fall?

That’s not going to go over well with parents. It’s also terrible for the economy and detrimental to children’s social and educational progression. The kids need to be in classroom five days a week for everyone’s best interest.

The kids need to be in classroom five days a week for everyone’s best interest.

Agreed. This remote teaching has been awful for teachers, too. Kids of a certain age are not cut out for online learning. Not only are they not as techno-savvy as adults think, but many of them are not self-motivated or responsible enough to handle creating a daily schoolwork schedule for themselves (and many of their parents are hands-off in that regard, too). As a result, kids are not submitting assignments by their due dates or AT ALL. Kids and their parents are then emailing teachers night and day, asking for technical advice and due date extensions, which means the teachers are working 24/7. Nobody reads the technology instructions that teachers repeatedly provide in emails or Google Classroom, or wherever. For sure, this pandemic has exposed how woefully lacking in technological skills both the students and the parents are (being able to press an app on a cellphone does not a computer genius make).They can’t even write or send an email properly, ffs, much less send a photo of a completed assignment through email. And then, you have certain kids and parents who teachers continually email, call, text, etc., in an attempt to establish ANY contact or get ANY response, but the kids and parents are not responding at all. Zero assignments submitted since the school closures took effect. Nada.

No way will teachers agree to this half-and-half in-person arrangement on top of preparing online classes for the whole week! They definitely want to teach kids in-person, and they understand that they can’t right now. But, there has got to be a better option out there next year than these online classes all week!

I agree with almost everything said so far but it is a tough balancing act. I have a family member that is a physician and he said their hell time is when kids go back to school, most of these little suckers have no sense of personnel hygiene. So while students may not die from this virus they will bring it into places that have vulnerable folks because you don't know you have it for days, how bad would you feel as a 7 year old to know that your brought in the thing that killed Gram or Grandad; worse yet mom or dad with a compromised immune system?

IMO school is either all or nothing. Either it's okay to return to normal, or the hazards are bad enough to merit continuing distance learning.

Educationally, it's pretty clear at this point that distance learning is not an equal substitute for the regular thing, especially for younger children. The longer this goes on, the more it is going to hurt our kids in the long run.

I have a son that is a 6th grader and distance learning is a waste of time for him. He is done with his daily assignments within an hour each day and is getting straight A's. Socially, I am very worried. As his father, I can tell he is down. We go throw the football, shot some baskets, been fishing, played video games, watched movies, but that doesn't replace time with kids his own age. This is vital time for a kid his age and he is losing too much. Kids need to be in school, period. I read an article recently that estimated kids will have already lost 50-75% of what they learned in the last school year with this extended summer break. How far will it set them back if we extend it for another semester? Waiting for a vaccine that may or may not ever arrive is fool's gold and we are being sold it by the buckets full by the MSM and many of our government leaders.

1588799088593.png

https://www.nwea.org/content/upload...fsBe-10ncQ2YSESDGce8nALuTR-6p_Ww_PgG4LshZ2EzQ

I have a son that is a 6th grader and distance learning is a waste of time for him. He is done with his daily assignments within an hour each day and is getting straight A's. Socially, I am very worried. As his father, I can tell he is down. We go throw the football, shot some baskets, been fishing, played video games, watched movies, but that doesn't replace time with kids his own age. This is vital time for a kid his age and he is losing too much. Kids need to be in school, period. I read an article recently that estimated kids will have already lost 50-75% of what they learned in the last school year with this extended summer break. How far will it set them back if we extend it for another semester? Waiting for a vaccine that may or may not ever arrive is fool's gold and we are being sold it by the buckets full by the MSM and many of our government leaders.
What you state here hits me pretty hard. We have a college age kid who has had social difficulties throughout his post adolescence age. He has finally gotten his feet on the ground, moved in with a few other kids off campus only to be faced with this college degree from home scenerio. He has no job now for first time in three years and no leads. Not having good outlook on life whatsoever.

I agree completely with the above statement either be 100% in or out. Will the virus affect you only 2/5 normal strength by skipping 3 of 5 days? A teacher will have to avoid the elderly parents even if it is 1 day a week for being with their students. Seems 2/5 of school may be worse than 0 school as teachers will absolutely not have time to do both in school classes and answer all the emails parents will generate on the 3 days they are ticked about having to help their 3rd grader with their math and fire off emails about how different todays lessons are than when they were in school.

I can see a reason for the 2 Day Week being that it gives kids a chance to get into the schools. Have some interaction with classmates and teachers while also doing the best to social distance as possible. As the guidelines are now I don't see how you even get half the kids into a building. There simply isn't room for them to properly distance without the recommendations being relaxed quit a bit.