DO BETTER/OHSAA PUPPETS

I’ll help you out graplinforeskin… and carpmentor (I know you’re there).
I will allow girls to wrestle.
I just disagree with an entity that just became existent two years ago (ohsaa sanctioning girls) and immediately gets all the perks of an entity that has been around for 60 years.
Perhaps the better way of looking at the same situation is that we should be happy that 58 years of inequality is now over.

To have weigh in lines at a tournament of that caliber is unacceptable. However, I have a hard time feeling bad for someone that misses weight at the biggest tournament of their life.

Perhaps the better way of looking at the same situation is that we should be happy that 58 years of inequality is now over.
Have the girls tournament another weekend instead of licking up the gravy of mens/boys fans who have earned it. MOST fans do not want to see the girls at the same weekend. The only thing unequal is the girls earning credit they don't deserve by infiltrating the real reason most fans are there. Go back to the drawing board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell me you got beat by a girl without telling me you got beat by a girl! 😂
Tell me where why girls aren't being any boys unless they're at 106, older and the boys aren't even close to being ranked nationally? Can you say OPPORTUNISTIC BS? ? Let me know when a girl gets a scholarship tp wrestle DI college, until then quit trying to pretend they're capable. Have the girls tournament another weekend end of story.

what they should have done for covid- report to your mat for weigh ins. dont leave the mat until your bracket is over. if you dont like it, go home BUT we are going to get the state tournament in

- Weigh-ins conducted on arena floor

- 10 scales on 10 mats

- Individuals are staged in the arena seating

- Video bout board used to assign weight/division to specific mat

- Proceed to nearest Bob Evans
given that virtually no one else is in the facility at that point, that would make absolute sense. Probably too much sense to actually get implemented :)

I just disagree with an entity that just became existent two years ago (ohsaa sanctioning girls) and immediately gets all the perks
Let me guess, you'd let putin invade Finland and Switzerland because they are so new to nato and shouldn't immediately get all the perks?

The board of directors are all school employees, if that’s what you mean, but the people in columbus working day to day are not government employees.
I think we’re on the same page here and saying the same thing. School employees can technically be considered government employees, just local governments. And the day to day workers are stated FUNDED employees…they may not be paid directly from the state of Ohio, but it’s tax dollars filtered down and OHSAA revenues that pay the bills. I could be wrong on this, but I don’t believe I am.

I think we’re on the same page here and saying the same thing. School employees can technically be considered government employees, just local governments. And the day to day workers are stated FUNDED employees…they may not be paid directly from the state of Ohio, but it’s tax dollars filtered down and OHSAA revenues that pay the bills. I could be wrong on this, but I don’t believe I am.
OHSAA receives 0 tax dollars. 80% of their income is from ticket sales. 10% from sponsorships, 8% or so from referee dues. Any amount they get directly from schools, which would be the closest you could say to filtered down tax dollars, is a rounding error on their balance sheet.

OHSAA receives 0 tax dollars. 80% of their income is from ticket sales. 10% from sponsorships, 8% or so from referee dues. Any amount they get directly from schools, which would be the closest you could say to filtered down tax dollars, is a rounding error on their balance sheet.
Where does the grant money come from then?

I actually like having the girls finals the same time. I agree, it kinda makes it a bigger nightmare but still.
Not saying there couldn't be improvements.

OAC has been doing weighin/skin checks correctly for years. Have it on the gym floor. Divided up as you please. Instead of cramming wrestlers and coaches in a 75’ area. It’s mind-blowing the lack of common sense that went into the planning for the tournament. Don’t get me going about the absents of the platforms for the finals! Ridiculous.

Get rid of the girls.
Lines too long.
Weigh-ins too clustered.
Wrestlers unable to get there in time to check their weight.
Just one man’s observation.
Orrrrrr hear me out......make all the boys one division and see how crowded the weigh in gets! Ignorance! The girls earned their spot there too. Many of them battling their way through the boys for the majority of the season until the state run

It's absolute fact adding the women to boy's tournament is 1. Unnecessary let them earn their own fans. 2. Making an already difficult logistics situation a nightmare for no reason. 3. Have it another weekend problem solved.
Renting the Schott for a second weekend doesn't make financial sense. And before someone jumps down my throat, if the OHSAA failed to provide the same or similar accommodations for the girls a Title IX lawsuit is waiting in the wings.

To have weigh in lines at a tournament of that caliber is unacceptable. However, I have a hard time feeling bad for someone that misses weight at the biggest tournament of their life.
We can agree that the lines from this weekend were unacceptable. But there are too many participants for there to be absolutely zero line.

Renting the Schott for a second weekend doesn't make financial sense. And before someone jumps down my throat, if the OHSAA failed to provide the same or similar accommodations for the girls a Title IX lawsuit is waiting in the wings.
Doubtful on all your thoughts. First of all the "Girls " could never quantify anywhere near the same amount of revenue, which would be criteria in any lawsuit, if they can't afford a venue based on logistics then they can be sent somewhere more affordable based on their FAR LESS and numbers and revenue. Girls will NEVER reach anywhere near the numbers of boys...you heard it here first a year ago and now. Title IX was responsible for eliminating over 100 NCAA wrestling programs, complete BS based on the criteria and a dagger for our sport.

The lines were because the staff from the Schott were checking everyone's bag upon entry. They were doing that last year at weigh-ins and stopped shortly after starting. This year they decided to do it for 1 hour prior to someone telling them to abort the mission and let everyone in without checking bags.

I watched the NFHS broadcast of the finals (freezing constantly by the way. Yay). While watching Mat #1 Chris Kallai (one of play by play commentators) of Wrestle One Tournaments/USA-Ohio was in charge of running The OHSAA State Tournament. He mentioned that they decided to change weigh-ins this year and have some kinks to work out for next year based on what happened. I would say that it was much more than a "kink". I'm not sure why they thought moving the weigh-ins out of a much more open space in the Aux gym into the bottle neck of the concourse was a smart idea. Let's take 896 wrestlers and 100's of coaches and shove them into an area 1/10 of the size of the last area. Makes no sense.

What does make sense. Stagger weigh-ins and/or weigh everyone in on the huge arena floor. D3 first while everyone sits in the stands. Then D2 and so on and so forth. It would be done in less than 30 minutes. Put the alternate list on the jumbotron instead of a dry erase board that everyone crowds around.

As far as missing weight. Not being able to check your weight prior to weigh-ins on the official scales is a MAJOR problem. Many teams arrive early to give their wrestlers enough time to check their weight and get off that last bit of weight if needed. Not sure if anyone remembers that not too long ago OHSAA's scales were extremely heavy at State Duals and tons of wrestlers were over and running. OHSAA ended up giving everyone an extra lb because their scales were so off. Luckily that didn't happen this year but that young man who was 0.2 over would have had an opportunity to get that weight off prior to official weigh-ins.

The OHSAA state tournament is supposed to be the culmination of years of hard work and for many it's a decade or more of dedication. This is supposed to be the pinnacle and crowing jewel of our sport in Ohio. In recent years this has not been the case. Don't even get me started on the blown calls the last couple of years in HUGE matches. Our young people deserve better. And adding the girls has NOTHING to do with the problems that occurred as some would like you to believe.

The lines were because the staff from the Schott were checking everyone's bag upon entry. They were doing that last year at weigh-ins and stopped shortly after starting. This year they decided to do it for 1 hour prior to someone telling them to abort the mission and let everyone in without checking bags.

I watched the NFHS broadcast of the finals (freezing constantly by the way. Yay). While watching Mat #1 Chris Kallai (one of play by play commentators) of Wrestle One Tournaments/USA-Ohio was in charge of running The OHSAA State Tournament. He mentioned that they decided to change weigh-ins this year and have some kinks to work out for next year based on what happened. I would say that it was much more than a "kink". I'm not sure why they thought moving the weigh-ins out of a much more open space in the Aux gym into the bottle neck of the concourse was a smart idea. Let's take 896 wrestlers and 100's of coaches and shove them into an area 1/10 of the size of the last area. Makes no sense.

What does make sense. Stagger weigh-ins and/or weigh everyone in on the huge arena floor. D3 first while everyone sits in the stands. Then D2 and so on and so forth. It would be done in less than 30 minutes. Put the alternate list on the jumbotron instead of a dry erase board that everyone crowds around.

As far as missing weight. Not being able to check your weight prior to weigh-ins on the official scales is a MAJOR problem. Many teams arrive early to give their wrestlers enough time to check their weight and get off that last bit of weight if needed. Not sure if anyone remembers that not too long ago OHSAA's scales were extremely heavy at State Duals and tons of wrestlers were over and running. OHSAA ended up giving everyone an extra lb because their scales were so off. Luckily that didn't happen this year but that young man who was 0.2 over would have had an opportunity to get that weight off prior to official weigh-ins.

The OHSAA state tournament is supposed to be the culmination of years of hard work and for many it's a decade or more of dedication. This is supposed to be the pinnacle and crowing jewel of our sport in Ohio. In recent years this has not been the case. Don't even get me started on the blown calls the last couple of years in HUGE matches. Our young people deserve better. And adding the girls has NOTHING to do with the problems that occurred as some would like you to believe.
Do you think part of the problem is the fact that for the second time in the last~3 years, the OHSAA wrestling admin quit midseason?

Doubtful on all your thoughts. First of all the "Girls " could never quantify anywhere near the same amount of revenue, which would be criteria in any lawsuit, if they can't afford a venue based on logistics then they can be sent somewhere more affordable based on their FAR LESS and numbers and revenue. Girls will NEVER reach anywhere near the numbers of boys...you heard it here first a year ago and now. Title IX was responsible for eliminating over 100 NCAA wrestling programs, complete BS based on the criteria and a dagger for our sport.
I'm just going off what I have seen before. You may be right but the OHSAA will have to be ready to go to court and fight to prove it. For now, the girls are here to stay so I recommend everyone accept that and stop blaming them for every issue they see within the sport.

All the sources I just listed. OHSAA posts all their financials online.
I see that…the OHSAA receives grants. You’re right that a large portion of the revenue comes from ticket sales. But, the money that those grants are made up from does not come out of thin air. Who gives the OHSAA those grants? And where did they get the money for those grants? The financial statements that I read through show in 2021 they receive over $2 million. I assume they did not just add in a line item on the GL, nor was there an envelope on the OHSAA doorstep packed with millions. I’m going to guess it came from…TAXES!

Easy fix, there are 4 div each side of the building gets a div and its own weigh in area. Spread the teams and coaches out and it will not be a cluster. If you want to take it one more step have Div weigh in at different times also. Not a hard fix. No clue why the changed it from the past years anyway. Crazy and Poor choice.