Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Struthers

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • Lakeview

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Hubbard

Votes: 8 8.2%

• Total voters
I thought the start of 9th grade you go where you want anyway. After that is when the transfer rules come into effect. Maybe I'm wrong though
The issue was he participated in the first scrimmage of the off season with Ursuline. After a meeting with the state he was granted able to play at Struthers his home district without penalty. The issue was reardon tried to do everything to keep him from being eligible. Which is a joke

I see Ursuline, and Struthers are both open Week 3? Why not schedule it?
Most area public schools decline/refuse to play the Youngtown parochials. There are tons of reasons, perhaps too many to get into.
At Struthers, the bad blood goes way back, quite possibly to the 70's. Plenty of old timers have influenced even the young people in this regard. It is what it is. Most of the animosity goes towards Mooney due to the proximity and other issues. Ursuline not so much.
With how the area is drying up population-wise, there are quite a few publics that can keep up with Mooney and Ursuline nowadays. It's definitely a way better option than Chaney or East who hardly travel, even locally.

If I was the AD, I'd get either or both on the schedule early. It's a win-win.
I know the attention/excitement this type of game would create. Would be a financial windfall. And considering football and boys basketball practically bankroll the other sports it's a no-brainer.
As an old fossil, many moons ago, I sat at South Stadium on a Week Two Saturday night between Mooney and Struthers. Unbelievable crowd of 14,000 that night. This could never happen again with all the diehards passing on, but just goes to show you how much interest there could be in matchups like this.
But for all intents and purposes, it'll never happen in the regular season or in what little time I have left.
Just my 2 cents. :rolleyes:

After watching Poland/SR basketball game tonight
Maybe Poland better concentrate on South Range rather than Canfield as a rival.
Canfield and Poland rt. 224
Big F'ing deal
South Range has owned us not than the Cardinals ever did

The reality of everything there’s a bigger chance Struthers would play fitch or boardman before they played a regular season game against ursuline or Mooney
A few years ago (specifically 2 ADs ago, I think) Hubbard had an AD that used to be on Ursuline's football coaching staff. He told my buddy Roberto that Ursuline thought they had an "open door to be on Hubbard's schedule" since he had such recent ties to Ursuline. He said they were shocked when he told the Ursuline people that there's no way Hubbard would ever schedule them as long as he was Hubbard's AD.

I can't remember the AD's name but he seemed like a really nice guy and did a good job while he was there...

A few years ago (specifically 2 ADs ago, I think) Hubbard had an AD that used to be on Ursuline's football coaching staff. He told my buddy Roberto that Ursuline thought they had an "open door to be on Hubbard's schedule" since he had such recent ties to Ursuline. He said they were shocked when he told the Ursuline people that there's no way Hubbard would ever schedule them as long as he was Hubbard's AD.

I can't remember the AD's name but he seemed like a really nice guy and did a good job while he was there...
Vivo. EH.

There’s been too much stuff that happened over the past 40 years for the local public schools to just forgive that and start to schedule Ursuline and Mooney again on a regular basis. A lot of the old folk harbor crazy grudges. But I absolutely don’t blame them as Ursuline absolutely recruits and gets away with it. So The prevailing notion from area coaches is”let them travel, screw ‘em “

I can see his face, and his name is on the tip of my tongue. Think his last name started with an "A".... Little bald gentleman...
Yes, I think you're right, his last name did start with an A I believe as well. He didn't want anything to do with Ursuline when he was Hubbard's AD, I thought he did a good job. I think Montgomery took over after he left if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, I think you're right, his last name did start with an A I believe as well. He didn't want anything to do with Ursuline when he was Hubbard's AD, I thought he did a good job. I think Montgomery took over after he left if I'm not mistaken.
Immediately after, Montgomery split the job with long time Girl's Basketball Coach Dave Konzcal. Eventually Konzcal was phased out and it was Montgomery's job.

Are you talking about Paul Andraso?

Are you talking about Paul Andraso?
No HE74 not Andraso

This guy was there right before Montgomery. The only reason I'm posting about him is he used to be an assistant coach at Ursuline and told Roberto that he would never schedule Ursuline while he was Hubbard's AD. This thread was posting about not scheduling Ursuline and/or Mooney and I thought it was quite ironic that a former assistant coach from Ursuline wouldn't even schedule them.

You got something else to add to the conference instead of just saying let’s move on from a topic of information to a question that many outside of the valley don’t know when it comes to why local
Teams rarely wanna play Ursuline
The move on part was a joke . But ya Mooneys just as guilty . I know they grabbed up some players from Poland in the late 80s

I think the top of the conference is going to be South Range and Struthers. In what order I don’t know. But everyone else after that I think. Hubbard is a ? But with an extremely weak out of conference schedule, they should win at least five games, regardless. Girard has the potential to be pretty good. Poland is a big? The team seemed to have no identity last year and did not seem like a typical Poland team. Like they were not a physical football team at all and it showed. Then you have Lakeview and Niles. I don’t expect much from them.
Poland was 10-2 and was pretty darn physical. Not sure what team you watched. Honestly- should have beaten Struthers twice. Loss to SR was 100% a coaching issue for Poland. I expect Poland to be physical again in 2024, but they will be young.

Poland was 10-2 and was pretty darn physical. Not sure what team you watched. Honestly- should have beaten Struthers twice. Loss to SR was 100% a coaching issue for Poland. I expect Poland to be physical again in 2024, but they will be young.
Stop with your bias, Poland won the turnover battle both games and lost the second one, saying they should have won both is a joke. They lost when it mattered and they lost up front, and in every statistical measure other then turnovers. Take those blinders off and worry about next year. We don’t wanna get into what happened the weekend before the playoff game and what your school allowed to happen.

Last edited:
I posted that BEFORE the season.

But Poland beat the cats in OT in the regular season.
Then lost in the playoffs. At home. And I believe the cats kneeled on the ball near the goal line to finish the game? Maybe not. But I’ll take a playoff win over a regular season win any day of the week.
And I’m pretty sure Struthers dominated both those games in every statistical catagory except turnovers. So I’m not sure where you’re getting off by saying they “should have beaten Struthers twice”

Then lost in the playoffs. At home. And I believe the cats kneeled on the ball near the goal line to finish the game? Maybe not. But I’ll take a playoff win over a regular season win any day of the week.
And I’m pretty sure Struthers dominated both those games in every statistical catagory except turnovers. So I’m not sure where you’re getting off by saying they “should have beaten Struthers twice”
It’s delusion

I get it now. You were one of those clowns dancing on the floor at halftime of the Poland-Struthers basketball game right? Celebrating the school's first ever 10 win season. Struthers did not win the NE8, split with Poland and won a couple of meaningless playoff games. Your idea of a historical season is what we in Poland call an "off year". But go ahead and continue to "make your own plaques" (that was funny by the way) and continue to celebrate your "historical season".

I get it now. You were one of those clowns dancing on the floor at halftime of the Poland-Struthers basketball game right? Celebrating the school's first ever 10 win season. Struthers did not win the NE8, split with Poland and won a couple of meaningless playoff games. Your idea of a historical season is what we in Poland call an "off year". But go ahead and continue to "make your own plaques" (that was funny by the way) and continue to celebrate your "historical season".
those kids that when they got announced for getting to the regional final proceeded to start jumping up and down after the Poland fans showed 0 class and booed them. You stood right next to your students like the clown you are

Discrediting a team going to the regional final isn’t as low of a blow as you think it is. Now letting kids play after they got caught with a dui the week before is something lmao