Drew Pasteur's Fantastic 50 2022

GridironGod

Does anyone know if Drew's site will be back this coming year. I always thought it was something fun and interesting to look at during the season. I understand for Covid and then personal reasons he didn't or couldn't do it the past couple of years but I really hope it returns. Both Joe Eitel and Drew Pasteur really add a great deal to high school football in Ohio.

Does anyone know if Drew's site will be back this coming year. I always thought it was something fun and interesting to look at during the season. I understand for Covid and then personal reasons he didn't or couldn't do it the past couple of years but I really hope it returns. Both Joe Eitel and Drew Pasteur really add a great deal to high school football in Ohio.
I hope so. Really enjoyed reading it.

I think there is a good chance he gets back to it this year . But with everyone making the playoffs now (. I hope they at least reduce it to 12 a region relatively soon) it puts a damper on his great work a bit . I
Miss going against his numbers . Especially after the first few weeks .

I think there is a good chance he gets back to it this year . But with everyone making the playoffs now (. I hope they at least reduce it to 12 a region relatively soon) it puts a damper on his great work a bit . I
Agree about the playoff expansion kinda dampening the magnitude of his work, but I hope he brings it back because it was a useful tool and a fun read.

He did not last year because he was swamped with work adapting his college teaching workload to online from in-person.

Plus, I don't think the constant schedule changes due to Covid helped.

I hope he brings it back this year.

Everyone doesn’t make the playoffs.

Amazing to hear, spend a lot of time on F50 during the fall.

Since you will need to have 2021 rankings/results input in order to develop the rankings for 22, will you be posting them? Would love to see a post-mortem for 2021 on your website
If things slow down a little at my day job over the summer, I hope to implement the process & website entirely. The admittedly ambitious project would include historical rankings going back 10-15 years. However, these would be based on the new ranking methodology, not necessarily matching what was posted when those seasons occurred.

As ridiculous as the last Ohio playoff expansion is, I hate the idea of giving teams byes even more. Either make it 32 or 64 in the playoffs. I don't know why anybody would want something in the middle.

Then again, people still defend the region system on this board. So, I shouldn't be shocked at all that people are also talking about having 48 teams in the playoffs.

As ridiculous as the last Ohio playoff expansion is, I hate the idea of giving teams byes even more. Either make it 32 or 64 in the playoffs. I don't know why anybody would want something in the middle.

Then again, people still defend the region system on this board. So, I shouldn't be shocked at all that people are also talking about having 48 teams in the playoffs.
I 100% agree with you regarding "byes". There should not be any "byes" in the playoffs. Seed and play.

That's because you're literally the only one who thinks a trip from Bryan to Steubenville for a football game would be a good idea.

I guess I'm also the only one who doesn't think undefeated teams should be out of the playoffs. That happened in 2019 because of the regions.
That happened in 2019 because the state thought it was a good decision to re-draw the regions and put the best of 22 and best of 24 together. If they stuck with the traditional regions that never would have happened.

That happened in 2019 because the state thought it was a good decision to re-draw the regions and put the best of 22 and best of 24 together. If they stuck with the traditional regions that never would have happened.
Traditional regions? I naturally wonder what that means. Well, you are going to have OHSAA screwing around like this. It's inevitable. I've watched schools move around all the time. I assume you want the four regions in each division to have the about the same number of teams.

You are also going to have issues because small schools are concentrated in some areas and big schools are concentrated in some areas. The 740 area code hardly has any D1 or D2 schools at all, for example. It is still the largest area code in the state by land area.

They have maps and there are some lines that have to be drawn. We've all seem them on here at one time o another.

are people really saying get rid of regions? LOL!

only way i can see justifying that is to take the top 32 teams based on harbin score and then divide them into groups of 8 based on geography, and then seed accordingly. that could balance out different parts of ohio being stronger some years, like northwest ohio in D6/7.

but that’s uneccesary with the 64 team format. every team who has a pulse gets the chance to show what they can do in the playoffs now, which is what it seems like the OHSAA wanted (and the money of course).

to be fair, there were some upsets and close games with teams from the 9-16 seed range. it made the playoffs more entertaining, so i don’t HATE the expansion. but i don’t think the 32 team system was that broke in the first place IMO

are people really saying get rid of regions? LOL!

only way i can see justifying that is to take the top 32 teams based on harbin score and then divide them into groups of 8 based on geography, and then seed accordingly. that could balance out different parts of ohio being stronger some years, like northwest ohio in D6/7.

but that’s uneccesary with the 64 team format. every team who has a pulse gets the chance to show what they can do in the playoffs now, which is what it seems like the OHSAA wanted (and the money of course).

to be fair, there were some upsets and close games with teams from the 9-16 seed range. it made the playoffs more entertaining, so i don’t HATE the expansion. but i don’t think the 32 team system was that broke in the first place IMO
There are plenty of upsets with 32 teams in the playoffs.

I guess I'm also the only one who doesn't think undefeated teams should be out of the playoffs. That happened in 2019 because of the regions.

Northwood and Gibsonburg both would have been destroyed round 1. I'm not a fan of undefeated missing either, but let's not act like those were state title teams that got left out.

I can handle eliminating regions AT FIRST, taking the top 32/48/64, then putting them into regions once the playoffs start. That's a plan that could still keep travel to a relative minimum while making sure the best teams get in. But just the straight up seed 1-32 and play it off you want? Will never work. This state is bigger than you think and there are so many absolute killer road trips that would be happening.

Northwood and Gibsonburg both would have been destroyed round 1. I'm not a fan of undefeated missing either, but let's not act like those were state title teams that got left out.

I can handle eliminating regions AT FIRST, taking the top 32/48/64, then putting them into regions once the playoffs start. That's a plan that could still keep travel to a relative minimum while making sure the best teams get in. But just the straight up seed 1-32 and play it off you want? Will never work. This state is bigger than you think and there are so many absolute killer road trips that would be happening.
Defiance to Marietta in the playoffs and winner goes to Chardon. sounds logical to me!

Nobody ever said they were state-title teams. The teams that got less points in other regions weren't state-title teams either. Two undefeated teams were out, and two 5-5 teams were in.

Last edited:
Imagine if they expand D1 and force more teams with 500+ Less boys in the school up from D2 to compete.

The OHSAA is a sham money grabbing farce.