Dublin Coffman Rocks 2020

Hiring a coach who is from a small school seems risky for a place like Coffman. Especially with no experience at the D1 level. Not living or knowing the community. Doesn't mean it wouldn't or couldn't work out. Hard to compare coaching at London, Minster, Coldwater to Top Tier D1 program... different worlds. And its not the aspect of coaching football. It is all the things outside of football: parents, coaches, booster clubs, community, etc.

A place like Coffman which is a top 2 job in Central Ohio (Pick Central, 1)... they shouldn't have to hire a coach who has been running a D6 program.
I would think having someone like Crager who has been heavily involved in the program for 15 years seems to be an easy transition. Unless the admin think the culture of the program needs to change.... and want to shake things. If they do think they want to make a change... I would be making some calls to get the guy we want for the next 10-15 years.

I agree . Crager is an EASY transition . He has put the time in and done good work and I realize some may not think so , but his body of work as a top assistant here is impressive . He has earned a shot , BUT that doesn't mean you don't take a few other candidates or possible candidates seriously . Again this notion that there are several BIG SCHOOL really good candidates out there { The best have jobs and aren't looking } is simply not true . Yes taking a 'small school guy is a risk , but sometimes a big risky swing can produce a home-run once in a while .

I agree . Crager is an EASY transition . He has put the time in and done good work and I realize some may not think so , but his body of work as a top assistant here is impressive . He has earned a shot , BUT that doesn't mean you don't take a few other candidates or possible candidates seriously . Again this notion that there are several BIG SCHOOL really good candidates out there { The best have jobs and aren't looking } is simply not true . Yes taking a 'small school guy is a risk , but sometimes a big risky swing can produce a home-run once in a while .

So from what I heard and this might have been touched in the last 20 pages but the Jerome and Doffman jobs have been very underwhelming with their applications. Seems like DC job is pretty close to be over with some candidates. I haven't read to much on Jerome. Any thoughts on who they are targeting?

Hiring a coach who is from a small school seems risky for a place like Coffman. Especially with no experience at the D1 level. Not living or knowing the community. Doesn't mean it wouldn't or couldn't work out. Hard to compare coaching at London, Minster, Coldwater to Top Tier D1 program... different worlds. And its not the aspect of coaching football. It is all the things outside of football: parents, coaches, booster clubs, community, etc.

A place like Coffman which is a top 2 job in Central Ohio (Pick Central, 1)... they shouldn't have to hire a coach who has been running a D6 program.
I would think having someone like Crager who has been heavily involved in the program for 15 years seems to be an easy transition. Unless the admin think the culture of the program needs to change.... and want to shake things. If they do think they want to make a change... I would be making some calls to get the guy we want for the next 10-15 years.
To say that it is "risky" to hire a D6/7 coach is a stretch especially if he is coming from the MAC...as mentioned above....I would venture to bet a solid majority of programs across the STATE would hear out top tier MAC coaches. Hardnosed well coached football translates to ANY division. Maybe its just me, but consideration for the current "division" the coaching applicant comes from is about as far back on the burner as it should get.

To say that it is "risky" to hire a D6/7 coach is a stretch especially if he is coming from the MAC...as mentioned above....I would venture to bet a solid majority of programs across the STATE would hear out top tier MAC coaches. Hardnosed well coached football translates to ANY division. Maybe its just me, but consideration for the current "division" the coaching applicant comes from is about as far back on the burner as it should get.
while agree with your statement, does hardnosed translate well in the dublin community as a whole? That would be a contributing factor to the success of this coach I would think

So from what I heard and this might have been touched in the last 20 pages but the Jerome and Coffman jobs have been very underwhelming with their applications. Seems like DC job is pretty close to be over with some candidates. I haven't read to much on Jerome. Any thoughts on who they are targeting?
For some reason that has been the trend this year of hiring. Maybe because of the pandemic etc. I would think this is the job that will have a domino effect. A coach that is comfortable where he is at but coffman is considered a destination job i think. Or they could hire within and go from there. Tough Decision

uh... how do you explain Mark Crabtree?

no d-1 experience for Crabtree, but Desales asst, St. Charles Head Coach and before St. Charles he was the head coach at Fisher Cathoic (State Runner-Up. Some D2-D3 experience even with some D6 at the time.

CAN be risky. Obviously, it can work out.

Example being... Chip Otten went 26-34 at Middletown (D1 program which won before him) and was fired. No playoff appearances. Goes to Coldwater and becomes a HOF coach and legend. Small school coaching is just different. As I said, not the football aspect... all the other things that go into running a program like Coffman.

Depending on the Coffman/Jerome hires... could be a swing in which program has more success in the next decade.

Great game last night in Westerville with the Rocks downing Reynoldsburg in the last 30 seconds defeating former teammate Russell who transferred . She was a force leading all scorers with 27 . Elite 8 fir a young Rocks team with pretty much everyone back next year . Burg has pretty most everyone back as well . Burg will be area favorite next year

Last edited:
The very thought of there being JJHuddle forums in 2001 with this discussion taking place humors me, thinking that indeed it would have been suggested then that Crabtree didn't have the big school experience (and no -- St. Charles does NOT count as big school football) necessary to get considered for Coffman.

Sometimes small school to big school fails. Sometimes big school to small school fails.

Again, what some people FAILmiserably to understand is that you can win WITH TALENT, but you most certainly will not win consistently without it...some places are set up for success, if us knucklehead coaches, don't mess it up. In some cases, we can even enhance it! What should be more scrutinized is a coach who wins where no one else wins and/or loses where no one else ever loses. Then, you can truly measure the coach's ability to affect a program. Some coaches only take jobs that are "easy" on the win/loss "look". Some never choose to challenge themselves, but are looking for the "magical job" to compete for a state title. Do the research. There is a reason why the same teams have competed at a high level and for state titles over the past 40 years! Every once in a while there is a new breakthrough, but those rarely stand the test of time and longevity. When you see a coach enhance the level of a program to a level that they had not seen before, then you are watching a special coach who is probably just as successful in shaping and changing the lives of our youth! We've been fortunate to sea a handful of those coaches here in Central Ohio. I've been blessed to be able to meet/talk/coach against some of those men. Good luck DCHS! You are replacing one of those men! Not an easy chore!

I could NOT disagree with you more. In my opinion, it is MUCH MORE risky hiring a guy who has never been a head coach as opposed to guy who has been doing it for many years and has been successful at every stop along the way, has rebuilt cultures, has demonstrated experience of instilling his own philosophies and belief systems, and has a history of WINNING on Friday night!. I think people are overstating the jump from D6/7 to D1. Its high school football. It's not more than that. I don't believe assistant coaches should get "rewarded" to the head coach just because you were a good assistant. It doesn't work that way

You talk about the outside of football stuff. Do you have an understanding of smaller communities or have you only experienced city/suburbs? There might be way more similarities (and millionaires per capita) in a particular MAC town with Dublin than you may realize. With influential booster meetings ect. Just no frosted tips ;)
Per my UA source it is in vogue for the folks in that area to assume anyone outside the metroplex of the capital is a rube. Not always true.....

I can only speak for myself , but I don't share the opinion that small town = rube . Not at all . My perspective is somewhat formed by some of the folks from a handful of more rural places that I know and have met over the years I have been in Dublin . People from Mechanisburg , New Bremen , Minster , and Ottawa Glandorf and Plain City . They moved to Dublin/Columbus for jobs. I know two families who moved back to their roots and more who have stayed . Not rubes at all . Very smart , educated and successful people with families that are doing very well both academically { great HS students and many Going to top University's } and athletically.

Now these community's are a bit more conservative in general and more homogenous than this area is , sensibilities are a bit different may be . But they hold the same basic values and the hopes we have for our families. I know the MAC community's are very successful in many realms , including financially . The High schools are high performing with kids who work hard and family's that value education.

Coaching here is a bit different than in some of these community's BUT the thing that any coach who may come from a smaller more rural community , the one thing that will be the same is the support he or she will get from the school , the community and the parents . I have talked with a couple coaches who came here from other places including some very similar to Dublin in size and demo's and from a smaller school and they BOTH were impressed with the support they got . One was blown away at the parental support, the community support, infrastructure , facilities and the AD support. Programs here are top notch as they are in many Columbus outerbelt suburbs. Schools are high performing , sports programs have grown and gotten better in reference to competing at the state level over the years .

I have a good idea at this point who is interviewing and who has a shot and I see some impressive resumes and a couple really good coaches . That being said after doing a deeper dive , I have a feeling that my original feeling will be right . Crager likely gets the job as it will be concluded that he knows the program , has grown in the program , and will be a better choice especially in the short term . That's not to say I would disappointed as a fan if one of the two guys whose work I am really impressed with gets the nod. I would be disappointed for Crager for sure.

As a famous Hall of fame coach once said " There are many ways to skin a cat, but the cat must be skinned . There are a handful of guys who I think would do a really nice job being the head guy at Coffman . In terms of the so called dearth of viable candidates , I would offer that may be because it's never an optimum starting point replacing a 20 year program builder with the consistency that Coach Crabtree had , and the fact that this appears to be a couple years of rebuilding in reference to where the program has bene for a long time . Again good luck to any remaining interviews if any and the guys who have put themselves out there for consideration . A couple really solid good men to choose from . Good luck Gentleman and to the committee who are making the decision.

I can only speak for myself , but I don't share the opinion that small town = rube . Not at all . My perspective is somewhat formed by some of the folks from a handful of more rural places that I know and have met over the years I have been in Dublin . People from Mechanisburg , New Bremen , Minster , and Ottawa Glandorf and Plain City . They moved to Dublin/Columbus for jobs. I know two families who moved back to their roots and more who have stayed . Not rubes at all . Very smart , educated and successful people with families that are doing very well both academically { great HS students and many Going to top University's } and athletically.

Now these community's are a bit more conservative in general and more homogenous than this area is , sensibilities are a bit different may be . But they hold the same basic values and the hopes we have for our families. I know the MAC community's are very successful in many realms , including financially . The High schools are high performing with kids who work hard and family's that value education.

Coaching here is a bit different than in some of these community's BUT the thing that any coach who may come from a smaller more rural community , the one thing that will be the same is the support he or she will get from the school , the community and the parents . I have talked with a couple coaches who came here from other places including some very similar to Dublin in size and demo's and from a smaller school and they BOTH were impressed with the support they got . One was blown away at the parental support, the community support, infrastructure , facilities and the AD support. Programs here are top notch as they are in many Columbus outerbelt suburbs. Schools are high performing , sports programs have grown and gotten better in reference to competing at the state level over the years .

I have a good idea at this point who is interviewing and who has a shot and I see some impressive resumes and a couple really good coaches . That being said after doing a deeper dive , I have a feeling that my original feeling will be right . Crager likely gets the job as it will be concluded that he knows the program , has grown in the program , and will be a better choice especially in the short term . That's not to say I would disappointed as a fan if one of the two guys whose work I am really impressed with gets the nod. I would be disappointed for Crager for sure.

A a famous Hal of fame coach once said " There are many ways to skin a cat, but the cat must be skinned . There are a handful of guys who I think would do a really nice job being the head guy at Coffman . In terms of the so called dearth of viable candidates , I would offer that may be because it's never an optimum starting point replacing a 20 year program builder with the consistency that Coach Crabtree had , and the fact that this appears to be a couple years of rebuilding in reference to where the program has bene for a long time . Again good luck to any remaining interviews if any and the guys who have put themselves out there for consideration . A couple really solid good men to choose from . Good luck Gentleman and to the committee who are making the decision.

You seem to know the same things I do at this point Harry. It’s basically down to two coaches: Crager and the successful small town head coach. I really don’t know which way it goes. I think we’ll know after this weekend

You seem to know the same things I do at this point Harry. It’s basically down to two coaches: Crager and the successful small town head coach. I really don’t know which way it goes. I think we’ll know after this weekend

I agree I think it's about time to name the guy any day now . Kids are doing the work but a tad less than 5 months until camp starts . You need to get this settled now to go forward full steam .

How does Crager fit into the situation going forward if he is not named the HC...hearing how well liked the man seems to be within the community and school district leads me to believe he would stick around in a potential role. I guess that also falls on the incoming staff and what is open.

How does Crager fit into the situation going forward if he is not named the HC...hearing how well liked the man seems to be within the community and school district leads me to believe he would stick around in a potential role. I guess that also falls on the incoming staff and what is open.

Good question. I can't imagine his being jazzed about staying on if he doesn't get the job. Of course the administration would probably be fine with it , if the guy they hired was open to having him on his staff, but I think may be Crager from a professional standpoint wants another crack at a head job . First one was brutal. If Coffman doesn't hire him now ? When? If the program had been losing the last few years and lacked it's previous 'juice"? The new guy and regime may make good sense. If he didn't get the nod , I would like if Crager stayed . But I can't picture that .Hopefully for him this isn't an issue or decision and he just keeps doing what he is doing with a different title and some more responsibility

Last edited:

Small town coach has his 2nd interview on Saturday. Things should be wrapped up very soon. I agree with others it could be either one of the two coaches getting this job.

As a famous Hall of fame coach once said " There are many ways to skin a cat, but the cat must be skinned . There are a handful of guys who I think would do a really nice job being the head guy at Coffman . In terms of the so called dearth of viable candidates , I would offer that may be because it's never an optimum starting point replacing a 20 year program builder with the consistency that Coach Crabtree had , and the fact that this appears to be a couple years of rebuilding in reference to where the program has bene for a long time . Again good luck to any remaining interviews if any and the guys who have put themselves out there for consideration . A couple really solid good men to choose from . Good luck Gentleman and to the committee who are making the decision.

I'm glad those "immigrants" to your neighborhood were able to give you some diversity in backgrounds ;).
I really have no dog in the fight a sincere wish of good luck to the next coach. It is a hard job whether it's at a D1 or D7 and I'm thankful for good people wanting to be a positive force in young peoples life.

I'm glad those "immigrants" to your neighborhood were able to give you some diversity in backgrounds ;).
I really have no dog in the fight a sincere wish of good luck to the next coach. It is a hard job whether it's at a D1 or D7 and I'm thankful for good people wanting to be a positive force in young peoples life.

Immigrants? What the hell is your problem ? Dublin is a move to type of place , not that many lifetime and long term natives . As many people as not are from other states originally {myself included } not only other parts of the state of Ohio . I was merely responding to someone's comment about small town = rube attitude.

Immigrants? What the hell is your problem ?
He's being tongue-in-cheek, Harry. Coming from rural, low-population density Ohio and settling into a burgeoning suburb of the Midwest's second-largest city can, in a sense, be thought of as "immigration." (Playfully.)

Kick back, crack a beer and relax my man.

He's being tongue-in-cheek, Harry. Coming from rural, low-population density Ohio and settling into a burgeoning suburb of the Midwest's second-largest city can, in a sense, be thought of as "immigration." (Playfully.)

Kick back, crack a beer and relax my man.
Good idea . But I think I'll have a Bacardi and Coke instead.

Will do. I just cut up a lime , and got a can of Coke zero from the garage fridge. Dinner is in the oven and will be done in about 45 minutes { Pork loin and Au gratin potatoes } with some asparagus . Jeopardy beckons. Sorry for the harsh first line of the response Down the road . Have a nice night

Will do. I just cut up a lime , and got a can of Coke zero from the garage fridge. Dinner is in the oven and will be done in about 45 minutes { Pork loin and Au gratin potatoes } with some asparagus . Jeopardy beckons. Sorry for the harsh first line of the response Down the road . Have a nice night
Dock got it covered. It's all good, I don't live that serious. Note the "" and winky face. No worries on my end.

AHM, with all due respect, you've been all over the map the last few weeks. To summarize your posts ...

Jan 27: It has become highly unlikely that a current Coffman assistant will become the next head coach.

Feb 14: Baring something unforeseen, Coach Crager will be the next coach at Coffman.

Feb 15: ......... I don’t know how or when they set up interviews. But I know Crager is going to be the head coach.

Mar 4: ........ It’s basically down to two coaches: Crager and the successful small town head coach. I really don’t know which way it goes. I think we’ll know after this weekend

I think we all appreciate your posts, but as was said in the movie Rounders "If you can’t spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you are the sucker." I still don't understand if there are 3 finalists why everyone on this board thinks it down to just 2 guys.

Oh well, based on the information from the 'insiders' on this board we should know something in the next week

Happy Friday y'all. .