Baltimore student passes 3 classes in 4 years!!

Yorktown

Ranks 62 out of 120............LMFAO...........WTF.............Game Over.

The sad part is he has the latest iPhone and $300 kicks.

News Article said:
Her son's records show in his first three years at Augusta Fells, he failed 22 classes and was late or absent 272 days. But in those three years, only one teacher requested a parent conference, which France says never happened. No one from the school told France her son was failing and not going to class.

Jeez.

In SEO who has had UBI since the coal mine days, you can make more money to not work than to work. Get money, free rent, free power, free internet, free food, free gas, can’t go to prison for a crime, free mowing service, and free repairs to their house. People in suburbs have no clue this is real. In poor areas the only people with new cars don’t work ?

It is silly but as a mom you dont question the school passing your kid along when you know he failed all these classes?
You have to put the blame squarely on both the school and parent(s) here.
You are right, but the fact that nobody from this school tried to communicate with the parents about the fact that here son had 272 absences is unacceptable.

You are right, but the fact that nobody from this school tried to communicate with the parents about the fact that here son had 272 absences is unacceptable.
Yea it is what it is... the district has voters and tax payers right? No one is taking the responsibility.
And then here is the problem.. they end up blaming something or someone else... and the solution is to throw federal dollars at it...

It is silly but as a mom you dont question the school passing your kid along when you know he failed all these classes?
You have to put the blame squarely on both the school and parent(s) here.
I definitely agree that both sides bear responsibility. I will however pose this in defense for the Mom.

I know that we are talking public education here, so the Mom didn’t technically hire the teachers. If you (Yorktown) hire a landscaper to do a complete overhaul on your yard, and you give the specifications of what you expect, do you expect the professional you hired to contact you when they move from re-sodding to mulching? Or do you expect, because they’re moving on to the next phase of your project, that the sod is done correctly?

I know it’s a rough comparison, but the teachers/ admins are the professionals in this scenario, and shouldn’t be “moving on” (next grade) to the next stage because the sodding (previous grade) isn’t complete.

This one is on both mom and the school. How a school can allow a student to accumulate that many tardies/absences without intervention is beyond me, but it is almost every school's policy to have required written notice to parents before issuing a failing grade. I am not aware of ANY school district in Ohio that would allow a student to be given a failing grade for a course without prior written notice and/or documented attempts to communicate with the parents.

On the flip side, how a parent can simply not know what his or her kid is doing in school is simply not an excuse in today's schools. Unless this school is still using carbon copy paper grade books and lack the usage of internet technology, this parent should have immediate access to the grades. Additionally, they are issued report cards every nine weeks, or semester, which would indicate that her son did not pass these classes. Where was she come report card time? It is clear she doesn't prioritize her son's education, so why would he?

This is an epic failure at so many points it is unbelievable, but the most atrocious thing is that he ranks above nearly HALF HIS CLASS! What a cluster!

“He feels embarrassed, he feels like a failure,” France said of her son.

What's dad say about it?

The real sad part is local businesses have to hire these "graduates" to keep their balance of whites and blacks. This teaches these kids to get at least a .13 GPA so you can be highly saught after for employment.

The parent is at fault for not investigating further but the school not getting on her about it is completely crazy, too.
I'm sure they notified her repeatedly about it, maybe she and her son are just boneheaded idiots.

“He feels embarrassed, he feels like a failure,” France said of her son.

What's dad say about it?
Agree.

Further is the "feels like" portion. This is the grand problem. Everyone gets a pass based on feelings. Everyone outside of reality fails to see root cause. No offense, but F the kids feelings and whoever got him to the point that he is embarrassed about his own failings. Normal people do not even get to this point and if any of us would have told someone about our feelings a belt comes next.

We need more tough love and consequences. There is a labor shortage, send him to dig ditches. Parents too. Knock down the school and fire all because they have failed.

People will never learn until they get burned by the hot stove. Never forget my grandma telling me don't play next to the stove (just once). When I got burned is all she said was "told ya." I never played around a hot stove again. Pretty simple really.

Honest question IB, what is an “honest” discussion on race/racism? I feel like that’s what is attempted on this forum daily, albeit with much sarcasm. When your behind the keyboard anonymously, it’s easier for most to be honest imo.

When your behind the keyboard anonymously, it’s easier for most to be honest imo.
IMO, it's a lot easier to say things you wouldn't say in public in the anonymity of forums like these, but I think face to face conversations where you can actually engage with the person and realize how "tough" one is when not behind a keyboard are a lot more effective. It's hard to do because the topic of race is a difficult subject to engage with, especially face-to-face, but I believe that throwing away that anonymity and taking a chance is something that is a lot more effective. That's the way I think of it at least.

And until we can have honest discussions about race and culture. Nothing will change.
Until we have honest discussions on politicians keeping minorities down nothing will change. The Dem party you love so much has done nothing for minorities except pandering to them for votes. How long have the inner cities been a cesspool? They have had almost 100% Dem leadership for the last fifty years. The public school systems are also run by bureaucrats that talk a good game and don’t deliver. Until a large segment of the minority population changes their culture, and they way they vote, you’re right nothing will change

Honest question IB, what is an “honest” discussion on race/racism? I feel like that’s what is attempted on this forum daily, albeit with much sarcasm. When your behind the keyboard anonymously, it’s easier for most to be honest imo.
I don't have the time to look it up but Bill Maher pointed to a survey during his cancel culture rant that 65% of Americans are afraid to say how they feel openly. Something to that affect. We have gotten to the point where you are a "insert term here" (racist, bigot, sexist, whatever) for being honest. People are losing their jobs over this sort of thing so it is easier to shut up and nod. And it is ALWAYS someone else's fault.

We will never get anywhere until we can have honest dialgoue.