Western Buckeye League 2021

The one that hurts the most is the 2018 team, Moyer and Harmon had that offense humming!

The 2018 team would have gotten molly whopped by Kenston even if they beat Alter and Norwalk the next rounds. That Kenston team was too good

Though, my argument was that Wapak would have been able to give them a game as Chardon ran a wing t and was the only team to beat them, and Wapak had an outstanding secondary that could have limited Kenston’s elite receivers. It would have been their all state running back, Porter, vs our linebackers that would be the deciding factor.

The only way the Wing-T makes it tougher is that if you run into a week where nothing is going on the ground, you're screwed. Same with the 5 wide spread if the coverage is shutting you down. Balance is definitely preferable as it keeps you open to finding ways to move the ball, but if you know a system, run a system, and execute it well you can win.

The only way the Wing-T makes it tougher is that if you run into a week where nothing is going on the ground, you're screwed. Same with the 5 wide spread if the coverage is shutting you down. Balance is definitely preferable as it keeps you open to finding ways to move the ball, but if you know a system, run a system, and execute it well you can win.
Balance is the key, but generally teams that are effective running the football are crowned the champs.

Balance is the key, but generally teams that are effective running the football are crowned the champs.

Yep, I'm a firm believer in winning in the trenches. Run the ball, stop the run, throw when you WANT not when you have to. You'll be fine.

It's just having the ability to throw it to keep the D honest or even to win a game if the run game isn't working is good. Like most schools in the area, some years Wapak has the QB/WR talent to do it. Some years they don't. It's cyclical.

I find it hilarious to say they struggle against top WBL teams as someone said. They've BEEN the top WBL team for a while. The only one beating them with any regularity is St. Marys, who runs the same system. Maybe it hurts them against a Trotwood, but they're doing more than ok in league.

Yep, I'm a firm believer in winning in the trenches. Run the ball, stop the run, throw when you WANT not when you have to. You'll be fine.

It's just having the ability to throw it to keep the D honest or even to win a game if the run game isn't working is good. Like most schools in the area, some years Wapak has the QB/WR talent to do it. Some years they don't. It's cyclical.

I find it hilarious to say they struggle against top WBL teams as someone said. They've BEEN the top WBL team for a while. The only one beating them with any regularity is St. Marys, who runs the same system. Maybe it hurts them against a Trotwood, but they're doing more than ok in league.
That is one thing that has been a benefit to the MAC schools as rarely will you find one that is so one dimensional like you see so many places.

That is one thing that has been a benefit to the MAC schools as rarely will you find one that is so one dimensional like you see so many places.
MAC schools seem to adjust year to year to the talent they have that season- how it should be done!

anyways, it has nothing to do with Wapak’s offense why they haven’t won a state title.
Hard disagree. Their defense has consistently carried the team while the offense has significantly lagged behind. I don't have anything against the wing-t system. It has its strengths and can be successful. It just seems like we know the ending to the story before the season even begins... Wapak is going to overwhelm the majority of the WBL, winning in the trenches and with their strong running backs, but then come playoffs they'll run into Trotwood, Alter, or another solid D3 R12 team that can actually go toe-to-toe with them in the trenches. Then once they start trailing in a playoff game, they have a frantic and unsuccessful pass game because they didn't make any concerted effort to develop it throughout the season.

Looking at the WBL Stats database, Wapak hasn't finished higher than 7th in the league in regular season passing yards in the past five full seasons (2015-2019), and most recently placed 9th and 10th in 2018 and 2019 respectively. While sole air raid or sole power rush teams can be successful and win titles, I just prefer a balanced/spread approach. Coach Moyer is obviously free to run his team the way he wants to. I just don't see them getting to an elite level (state title) with their current slow approach to O.

And just curious - "if it has nothing to do with offense," then what does it have to do with? Stubborn coaching? The other teams just having better athletes? Luck? It isn't anti-Wapak to make fair critiques about a team. Meanwhile, you're using the transitive property to say how Wapak could've beaten or been competitive with different state champs over the past few years. So if Wapak really is that good, then why aren't they getting those results?

Van Wert took advantage of playing in a weak year in the WBL and having good talent run through the program. If their offense was so great and instrumental in winning a title, you’d think they’d AT LEAST finish better than 3rd in the league this decade? They didn’t do anything significant until this year. I’m not trying to hate on Van Wert because winning a state title is obviously tough, just trying to understand where the type of offense a team runs is predictive of them winning a title. As other have stated in this thread, multiple examples have shown teams with a predictable offense winning state. If you’re going to troll, at least make it funny
I think this is another bad take. I don't think it's fair at all to say 2020 was a "weak year in the WBL." It was quite literally one of the most successful seasons in recent WBL history. We had a state champion for the first time in a long time. We had a league team (O-G) beat that state champ during the regular season giving VW their only loss. O-G and St Marys both picked up two playoff wins before bowing out. Kenton, Bath, and Defiance also won the first round playoff against out of league opponents. 7 of the 10 WBL teams finished tied for 5th place or better in the league. The WBL was incredibly competitive, that was a lot of the conversation in the 2020 WBL discussion topic - how level the playing field seemed. Just because it was a down year for Wapak doesn't mean it was a down year for the rest of the league.

Even 2020 aside, I don't think it's fair to say "They didn't do anything significant until this year" when in 2018 they had a very successful campaign making the playoffs, winning their first round match-up, and only being eliminated to fellow WBL foe, St Marys. Wapak has 4 first or second round exits from the playoffs in the past decade. Wapak, probably more than any other WBL team, should be able to empathize with Van Wert. VW had a couple 0-10 seasons in the 2010s and now they've clearly bounced back with a few winning seasons and some state championship hardware. Prior to Wapak being the "king of the WBL hill" (as it's being described here on Yappi), they were largely doormats and the folks in the stands were at the game for the marching band. VW might not have all the WBL trophies Wapak has accumulated over the past decade, but they do have that state title and momentum. I wish VW the best. And I hope Wapak can break in that refreshed stadium reaching new heights of success.

good coaches adjust the system to the talent they have year to year. bad coaches say “my way or the highway”. Wing T is fine if you have the team to do it. but if you have an athletic bunch, you better do something about it.

Cannnot link the story for some reason, but what I just read out of Kenton regarding their basketball program must warm Dave's heart.
A coup inside the boys hoops program?

Cannnot link the story for some reason, but what I just read out of Kenton regarding their basketball program must warm Dave's heart.
A coup inside the boys hoops program?

I'm gonna refrain until we get actual info, but early comments I've seen point to spoiled kids who don't know what to do when things don't go their way.

Aka, just another day in Kenton.

Since I cannot link the story:
Apparently kids refusing to play and the program had to cancel games.

Since I cannot link the story:
Apparently kids refusing to play and the program had to cancel games.
No idea why they would do that. What else do they expect? Never been a basketball school and even when they had Garrick Sherman, Maty Mauk, Max Morrison, and Brent Fackler playing for their basketball program in the late 2000s/early 2010s they couldn't make it past districts in basketball.

No idea why they would do that. What else do they expect? Never been a basketball school and even when they had Garrick Sherman, Maty Mauk, Max Morrison, and Brent Fackler playing for their basketball program in the late 2000s/early 2010s they couldn't make it past districts in basketball.
Likely two reasons:
1. Coach is trying to change the culture of a program and every time they might be making progress they hit a roadbock.
2. Players are right and the coach is beyond oppressive.

Without first hand knowledge, and really does anyone truly have 'normal' friends from Kenton they could ask, it will be difficult to discern. Unless I know said parent and trust them I pretty much dismiss parental comments as they are almost always the most biased 'fans' of all.

Hard disagree. Their defense has consistently carried the team while the offense has significantly lagged behind. I don't have anything against the wing-t system. It has its strengths and can be successful. It just seems like we know the ending to the story before the season even begins... Wapak is going to overwhelm the majority of the WBL, winning in the trenches and with their strong running backs, but then come playoffs they'll run into Trotwood, Alter, or another solid D3 R12 team that can actually go toe-to-toe with them in the trenches. Then once they start trailing in a playoff game, they have a frantic and unsuccessful pass game because they didn't make any concerted effort to develop it throughout the season.

Looking at the WBL Stats database, Wapak hasn't finished higher than 7th in the league in regular season passing yards in the past five full seasons (2015-2019), and most recently placed 9th and 10th in 2018 and 2019 respectively. While sole air raid or sole power rush teams can be successful and win titles, I just prefer a balanced/spread approach. Coach Moyer is obviously free to run his team the way he wants to. I just don't see them getting to an elite level (state title) with their current slow approach to O.

And just curious - "if it has nothing to do with offense," then what does it have to do with? Stubborn coaching? The other teams just having better athletes? Luck? It isn't anti-Wapak to make fair critiques about a team. Meanwhile, you're using the transitive property to say how Wapak could've beaten or been competitive with different state champs over the past few years. So if Wapak really is that good, then why aren't they getting those results?

First off, I was using the transitive property for teams that WEREN’T EVEN IN WAPAKS DIVISION. If you were actually reading the argument, the OP was trying to say Wapak is not winning in DIV any of those years, and I used transitive property to prove Wapak definitely could be favorites or have a chance to win those games. It wasn’t possible for Wapak to even be in that position. Just hypothetical since the other posters brought it up.

Second off, I actually PLAYED for some of these Wapak teams. I’ve watched every single game in the Moyer era. It’s more than just “Wing-T doesn’t work”. Like you said, other teams have a combination of better athletes and Coach Moyer pissing down his leg come playoff time. 2014, we lost in 4OT to Trotwood, doesn’t get closer than that. 2015, we were just simply not good or athletic enough on defense to compete, not state caliber. 2016, Defense wasn’t good or athletic enough, not state caliber. 2017, injuries killed us and had a down year. 2018, horrendous play calling against Alter and a fumble on the 2 yard line before halftime killed our chances. Still a one score game until 4th quarter. 2019, we gave up 21 points in the span of 90 seconds after being tied 7-7 due to a punt return touchdown, fumble recovery on kickoff, and blown coverage after a 3 and out. The OFFENSE, you know, the one you said is holding Wapak back, game back to make it a 6 point game but the defense couldn’t hold on a game clinching drive.

Lastly, just bc the WBL is “competitive” does not mean it’s a strong year. 2017 was a competitive year, and the league champ St. Mary’s lost week 1 to Sidney, and got 40 balled by a Shelby team that didn’t even win state. Elida was the only other playoff team and got ran through by Trotwood.

First off, I was using the transitive property for teams that WEREN’T EVEN IN WAPAKS DIVISION. If you were actually reading the argument, the OP was trying to say Wapak is not winning in DIV any of those years, and I used transitive property to prove Wapak definitely could be favorites or have a chance to win those games. It wasn’t possible for Wapak to even be in that position. Just hypothetical since the other posters brought it up.

Second off, I actually PLAYED for some of these Wapak teams. I’ve watched every single game in the Moyer era. It’s more than just “Wing-T doesn’t work”. Like you said, other teams have a combination of better athletes and Coach Moyer pissing down his leg come playoff time. 2014, we lost in 4OT to Trotwood, doesn’t get closer than that. 2015, we were just simply not good or athletic enough on defense to compete, not state caliber. 2016, Defense wasn’t good or athletic enough, not state caliber. 2017, injuries killed us and had a down year. 2018, horrendous play calling against Alter and a fumble on the 2 yard line before halftime killed our chances. Still a one score game until 4th quarter. 2019, we gave up 21 points in the span of 90 seconds after being tied 7-7 due to a punt return touchdown, fumble recovery on kickoff, and blown coverage after a 3 and out. The OFFENSE, you know, the one you said is holding Wapak back, game back to make it a 6 point game but the defense couldn’t hold on a game clinching drive.

Lastly, just bc the WBL is “competitive” does not mean it’s a strong year. 2017 was a competitive year, and the league champ St. Mary’s lost week 1 to Sidney, and got 40 balled by a Shelby team that didn’t even win state. Elida was the only other playoff team and got ran through by Trotwood.
I am appalled by the Moyer hate he is an incredible coach who saved the program.

No need to get testy, I think I was plenty respectful in my post - but feel free to use CAPS LOCK if that suits you.

For the record I did read the posts, although I don't think there's much merit in speaking in hypotheticals and transitive property. Also in case it needs clearing up - I didn't say "Wing-T doesn't work." I know you didn't explicitly say I said that, but you putting that phrase in quotes in response to me makes it seem like I did. I said quite clearly that the system has its strengths and that Wapak will overwhelm the majority of the WBL with it, like they do every year, and then falter in the playoffs, like they do every year.

I stand by my comments and the stats that I cited. It is a fair critique. It is not my fault that Wapak folks can't take a healthy critique. We've interacted, HSFB45, in previous year's WBL threads and I know you've also agreed in the past that the offense lagged behind the defense, so I'm not sure why you're pretending like that isn't an obvious statement. I stand by that the Wapak O holds the team back compared to the Wapak D and the stats summaries showcase the offense-defense lag as well. In the past 5 full seasons (2015-2019) during the 10-week regular season, Wapak ranked (on average) 2.2/10 (2nd) on defense compared to 5.2/10 (5th) on offense. Wapak was in the top 2 with defense in 4 of those 5 years. Meanwhile Wapak's offense was 0 for 5 in cracking the top 2 in total offense in any of those five years. No where am I saying that Wapak's offense is garbage, that it's pathetic, that Coach Moyer is an overrated coach, or any other disrespectful stuff. Calling the Wapak O slow, boring, or predictable may seem like attacks... but is it wrong? Being slow and boring is kind of the point, right? Even if the opposing D knows what's coming, your O is so good that the D can't do anything to stop it. It's demoralizing. Especially as it takes 8 minutes off the clock on a single drive. They aren't insults to the Wapak O, just comments and observations.

I do appreciate your insights as you broke down different reasons for recent year's Wapak playoff exits. I'm not sure they paint the entire picture, but I get what you're saying. Those reasons, excuses, or narrative (whatever you want to call it) don't happen in isolation though. That's just the game of football. You mentioned bad play calling (coaching) or the entire game changing over the course of 90-seconds. In that mention of 2019 with how there was a punt returned for a touchdown, a fumble on a kickoff, and then defense couldn't hold. You can just as easily say, well, the punt return for a TD wouldn't have happened if the offense could've kept the drive going.... you see, you can make whatever narrative you want. I do think Wapak's D has largely performed better than their O come playoff season - the 2015 season comes to mind where they beat Mt Healthy 12-7 or their loss to T-M was 3-33.

I also maintain the strength of the WBL and I'm not sure i understand your metric of what constitutes a strong year for the WBL. On one hand, you say 2017 was a weak year because St Marys lost to a Shelby team that didn't even win the state title. Yet you also call 2020 a weak year for the WBL when Van Wert literally won the state title. So you're counting it against St Marys that they lost to a team that didn't win a state title, but not giving credit to the WBL when one of our own teams won a state title and fellow league member, O-G, also beat state champ VW. Instead, you called 2020 "a weak year" that Van Wert "took advantage of" ??? Make it make sense, because a common thread I see in 2017 and 2020... was that Wapak wasn't at the top of the league. And so I'll say again, just because Wapak is having a down year doesn't mean the rest of the league is. I happen to think of the WBL as one of the better leagues in the area. And that's both when Wapak is doing well and when they have their down years. Is the WBL the MAC or GCL? No. Nobody is the MAC or GCL except for the MAC or GCL. But I'm surprised to see another WBL person like yourself not giving the league credit where credit is due. 2020, with all things considered, was actually a great year for the league as a whole.

2020 was a really good year for the league. I know the standings weren't official and no league title was given, but look at how the league performed from top to bottom.

1. Van Wert 5-1 11-1 Self explanatory. State champs, only lost to "co-champ" OG by 1.
1. Ottawa-Glandorf 5-1 7-2 Gave VW their only loss. Flat out dominated 2 playoff games before running into then undefeated Otsego who won the region.
3. St. Marys 4-2 6-3 Took OG to 2 OT and lost to VW by 6. "Down" year still had them in title contention and they won 2 playoff games.
3. Elida 4-2 6-3 The worst of the good teams. Beat OG, somehow lost to Celina. Lost round 1, struggled with bad Buckeye Valley and Fenwick teams. But there was improvement here, even if the sxhedule did break well for them.
5. Kenton 3-3 5-4 Bath loss was a head scratcher, but played OG tough and caught Wapak on a rare week when they were at full strength. Won a playoff game.
5. Shawnee 3-3 4-5 In every game, that defense was legit. Offense was bad. Lost round 1 to a league team.
5. Celina 3-3 3-6 Honestly think at the end of the season they were the worst team in the league. Greenville's only win, lost big to an average Bryan team. But the Elida win was good, and still almost won a playoff game.
8. Wapakoneta 2-4 3-5 I'll give them a pass because of COVID. The Kenton/Defiance/Shawnee 2 stretch when they were healthy was impressive, just never could get true momentum. They'll be back.
9. Bath 1-5 2-6 The most disappointing team in the league. A few close losses including OG, with a nice win against Kenton and a playoff win sprinkled in.
10. Defiance 0-6 1-9 We weren't good, but if that's your last place team you're doing ok. Could have won the Shawnee and Elida games. Won a playoff game. Gave 7-3 Milton-Union all they could handle on the road. Would have liked to see the Bath and Celina games be played, but that happened. Oh well.

So that's 7 teams that won in the playoffs, an 8th that lost to a league team, and another that lost by 3. Only Elida really got blown out in their first game. Can't judge a league by only playing each other, and the WBL did a solid job in non league games this year. One of the better showings its had lately.

No need to get testy, I think I was plenty respectful in my post - but feel free to use CAPS LOCK if that suits you.

For the record I did read the posts, although I don't think there's much merit in speaking in hypotheticals and transitive property. Also in case it needs clearing up - I didn't say "Wing-T doesn't work." I know you didn't explicitly say I said that, but you putting that phrase in quotes in response to me makes it seem like I did. I said quite clearly that the system has its strengths and that Wapak will overwhelm the majority of the WBL with it, like they do every year, and then falter in the playoffs, like they do every year.

I stand by my comments and the stats that I cited. It is a fair critique. It is not my fault that Wapak folks can't take a healthy critique. We've interacted, HSFB45, in previous year's WBL threads and I know you've also agreed in the past that the offense lagged behind the defense, so I'm not sure why you're pretending like that isn't an obvious statement. I stand by that the Wapak O holds the team back compared to the Wapak D and the stats summaries showcase the offense-defense lag as well. In the past 5 full seasons (2015-2019) during the 10-week regular season, Wapak ranked (on average) 2.2/10 (2nd) on defense compared to 5.2/10 (5th) on offense. Wapak was in the top 2 with defense in 4 of those 5 years. Meanwhile Wapak's offense was 0 for 5 in cracking the top 2 in total offense in any of those five years. No where am I saying that Wapak's offense is garbage, that it's pathetic, that Coach Moyer is an overrated coach, or any other disrespectful stuff. Calling the Wapak O slow, boring, or predictable may seem like attacks... but is it wrong? Being slow and boring is kind of the point, right? Even if the opposing D knows what's coming, your O is so good that the D can't do anything to stop it. It's demoralizing. Especially as it takes 8 minutes off the clock on a single drive. They aren't insults to the Wapak O, just comments and observations.

I do appreciate your insights as you broke down different reasons for recent year's Wapak playoff exits. I'm not sure they paint the entire picture, but I get what you're saying. Those reasons, excuses, or narrative (whatever you want to call it) don't happen in isolation though. That's just the game of football. You mentioned bad play calling (coaching) or the entire game changing over the course of 90-seconds. In that mention of 2019 with how there was a punt returned for a touchdown, a fumble on a kickoff, and then defense couldn't hold. You can just as easily say, well, the punt return for a TD wouldn't have happened if the offense could've kept the drive going.... you see, you can make whatever narrative you want. I do think Wapak's D has largely performed better than their O come playoff season - the 2015 season comes to mind where they beat Mt Healthy 12-7 or their loss to T-M was 3-33.

I also maintain the strength of the WBL and I'm not sure i understand your metric of what constitutes a strong year for the WBL. On one hand, you say 2017 was a weak year because St Marys lost to a Shelby team that didn't even win the state title. Yet you also call 2020 a weak year for the WBL when Van Wert literally won the state title. So you're counting it against St Marys that they lost to a team that didn't win a state title, but not giving credit to the WBL when one of our own teams won a state title and fellow league member, O-G, also beat state champ VW. Instead, you called 2020 "a weak year" that Van Wert "took advantage of" ??? Make it make sense, because a common thread I see in 2017 and 2020... was that Wapak wasn't at the top of the league. And so I'll say again, just because Wapak is having a down year doesn't mean the rest of the league is. I happen to think of the WBL as one of the better leagues in the area. And that's both when Wapak is doing well and when they have their down years. Is the WBL the MAC or GCL? No. Nobody is the MAC or GCL except for the MAC or GCL. But I'm surprised to see another WBL person like yourself not giving the league credit where credit is due. 2020, with all things considered, was actually a great year for the league as a whole.

That was a good response. I agree, most Wapak fans want the offense to be more explosive and just in general a little more unpredictable. Moyer would rather practice a variety of maybe 10 different plays a week in practice for a certain opponent. Occasionally different plays weekly, but the number of plays stays very low. The same play is ran during a game multiple, multiple times. I can’t speak for other teams, but Moyer does not give out a playbook so that is why I think he doesn’t include many plays. Players aren’t able to study outside of practice which is pretty difficult. Moyer’s philosophy is also to milk the clock with methodical drives and let the defense win the game. Like you said, that has benefits when the defense gets the job done. When you play elite teams though, the defense can only do so much.

?‍♂️ Some people have great visitor stands.
It's been a little bit since I've been to Wapak's stadium. Are Wapak's visitors stands that bad? I thought their stadium, as a whole, was considered one of the better ones in the area. I know MAC squads play there a lot come playoff season. The visitors stands do seem old, but still a decent amount of seating. Usually the visitors stands I see that get the most hate on Yappi are the likes of OCC schools, like the Hilliards or Olentangys who build brand new stadiums, yet have tiny visitors stands super far away from the field.

It's been a little bit since I've been to Wapak's stadium. Are Wapak's visitors stands that bad? I thought their stadium, as a whole, was considered one of the better ones in the area. I know MAC squads play there a lot come playoff season. The visitors stands do seem old, but still a decent amount of seating. Usually the visitors stands I see that get the most hate on Yappi are the likes of OCC schools, like the Hilliards or Olentangys who build brand new stadiums, yet have tiny visitors stands super far away from the field.
Not really. It is functional. Parts of it show its age however and could use the upgrade. It was my understanding that the project included both stands. If I'm wrong in that regard then my bad.

Olentangy's visitor stand locations are next level stupid.

Can't believe you forgot Logan Erb at RB. He was a monster in football and wrestling too obviously.
Yes Erb was a beast I have always said the most talented back was the Tuttle kid but never put it all together due to outside issues

I don't believe so, just the home grandstand. Maybe that's a future project? I'm not sure how high priority visitor stands are for most schools. :LOL:
I'd think it is more of a priority for Wapak than it is for most other schools with as many playoff games as they host. I didn't think they were particularly bad, though, I always enjoyed watching playoff games there

I'd think it is more of a priority for Wapak than it is for most other schools with as many playoff games as they host. I didn't think they were particularly bad, though, I always enjoyed watching playoff games there
Their away stands are fine.

Some get spoiled by places like Sidney and such.

Their away stands are fine.

Some get spoiled by places like Sidney and such.
To be fair, Sidney is a pretty incredible stadium.. lol.
IMO the whole stretch of I-75 from Findlay to Dayton is spoiled with amazing football stadiums. Findlay, Lima, and Wapak might not match up to Sidney but are still great stadiums. Sidney and Piqua are in a league of their own, Troy also has a great old school stadium, just needs turf to host playoff games.

To be fair, Sidney is a pretty incredible stadium.. lol.
IMO the whole stretch of I-75 from Findlay to Dayton is spoiled with amazing football stadiums. Findlay, Lima, and Wapak might not match up to Sidney but are still great stadiums. Sidney and Piqua are in a league of their own, Troy also has a great old school stadium, just needs turf to host playoff games.
Troy, Piqua. Sidney, the triple threat if Troy would get turf of course.....