Meechie Johnson to enroll at OSU to play this year!

Ohio State's thin at guard, I know that. Not sure how much good it does considering the season is scheduled to start November 25th, and how much he'll be able to play and help the team out. The good news for him is that this year is basically house money in terms of his eligibility clock for college basketball.

In terms of the Garfield Hts side of things, they didn't have him last year anyway and his season ended early due to injury the previous year. Then you have the question of what the 2020-21 high school season will look like due to COVID.

So he is able to play in January ? I wonder how much playing time he will get and lose a year of eligibility, is it worth is?

So he is able to play in January ? I wonder how much playing time he will get and lose a year of eligibility, is it worth is?

Able to play in Jan, yes. He will not lose a year of eligibility. The NCAA has voted to give fall and winter sports athletes essentially a free year of eligibility this year. So while he can enroll and play this school year he will still be considered a freshman, eligibility wise, in 2021-2022.

Able to play in Jan, yes. He will not lose a year of eligibility. The NCAA has voted to give fall and winter sports athletes essentially a free year of eligibility this year. So while he can enroll and play this school year he will still be considered a freshman, eligibility wise, in 2021-2022.

Ok, got it...That's good news for him and OSU. Thanks for the info !

Interesting. I'm sure the NCAA didn't mean to open up this loophole but not much they can do to shut it down at this point.

I will be interesting to see him play for the Buckeyes this season.

Problem will be down the line if number of scholarships doesn't get raised. I see a lot of seniors staying and not opening up slots for incoming freshmen.

You are 100% correct. Coaches will be doing some big time number crunching. Hopefully the NCAA allows for extra scholarship/roster spots.

There is still the scholarship max, which won't change. The incoming number won't change either. There's going to be an exemption carved out for 21-22 where if a senior uses their free year to stay in the program the team will be allowed to go over the scholarship max -- that is my understanding at least.

There is still the scholarship max, which won't change. The incoming number won't change either. There's going to be an exemption carved out for 21-22 where if a senior uses their free year to stay in the program the team will be allowed to go over the scholarship max -- that is my understanding at least.
Yes but there is going to be extra players around for 4 years. This is going to lead quite a few athletes (D2 level) that are not going to get money to play sports in college. So does that mean some of them don't even go to college?

As players stay many of those HS seniors are going to be pushed down a level. So players that may have played B10 will end of playing at MAC schools and MAC level may end up D2 and players that would have been recruited to play D2 will now either have to go NAIA or D3 with no scholarship and potential high tuition.

IMO this was not very well thought out by the NCAA.