Cory Rawson Forfeits Playoff Game

I'm not sure what the # is or used to be, but Put-in-Bay has fewer than 100 K-12 and Kelleys Island has fewer than 15 K-12. Both have years with no graduating class.

As long as the district is solvent, there is no expectation to consolidate.

Those two are cases are a little different. They are separated from the mainland, albeit not far, by water and certainly causes some travel issues. Vanlue is a few miles by road from Carey, Arcadia and Riverdale High Schools.

I posed this question in another thread, will teams be allowed to forfeit in the 2nd round without penalty. Two examples I have in Region 22 are Delta and Paulding, if they can pull off the upsets in the first round- Delta already traveling 90 miles to Seneca East and Paulding traveling 54 miles to Van Buren. With no cut of presale tickets or travel reimbursement, what is the motivation for some programs to play in the second round if there is no penalty to forfeit and play a previously scheduled game.

Delta Week 8 options:
A. Travel 115 miles to 6-0 Col. Crawford
B. Host 0-6 Evergreen(8 miles away)
Paulding Week 8 options:
A. Travel 75 miles to 6-0 Northwood
B. Host 0-6 Antwerp(10 miles away)

So these teams could travel a long ways to probably get waxed or host a local team to collect a gate, 50/50, and concessions. It would be hard to fault a school for making this choice but now a low seeded team could have 2 weeks without a game.

If your school told ohasa you wanted to be in playoffs and then backed out it should be a forfeit on your record and a W for the other team. If you didn't want to play shouldn't have got in!

I posed this question in another thread, will teams be allowed to forfeit in the 2nd round without penalty. Two examples I have in Region 22 are Delta and Paulding, if they can pull off the upsets in the first round- Delta already traveling 90 miles to Seneca East and Paulding traveling 54 miles to Van Buren. With no cut of presale tickets or travel reimbursement, what is the motivation for some programs to play in the second round if there is no penalty to forfeit and play a previously scheduled game.

Delta Week 8 options:
Paulding Week 8 options:

So these teams could travel a long ways to probably get waxed or host a local team to collect a gate, 50/50, and concessions. It would be hard to fault a school for making this choice but now a low seeded team could have 2 weeks without a game.

You make that choice when you opt in for the playoffs. You commit to something, you stick to it. It's a lost theory now a days.

You make that choice when you opt in for the playoffs. You commit to something, you stick to it. It's a lost theory now a days.
I get it, I'm just saying will those teams be told "Play your scheduled playoff game or no game at all that week!"

Minster's playoff football game with Delphos Jefferson has been cancelled. Minster will move on to play at Allen East on Saturday, Oct. 17 in the second round of the playoffs.
And Minster is playing at Pandora-Gilboa this Friday night now.

Why not jump at the chance to join the Northern 8 while they still can. Danbury did amazing. I don't think there's any turning back for them.
Because jumping to the Northern 8 likely means leaving the Blanchard Valley Conference for every other sport.

Because jumping to the Northern 8 likely means leaving the Blanchard Valley Conference for every other sport.

I doubt it. But if that's the case, the NWCC is there. I mean, somethings going to have to happen in some way, shape or form. Hardin Northern dropped football for a year and got the boot. The old MAL worked for 30 years with non-football playing schools.

If your school told ohasa you wanted to be in playoffs and then backed out it should be a forfeit on your record and a W for the other team. If you didn't want to play shouldn't have got in!
What difference does it make? This isn't affecting seeding or qualification. The other team moves on in either scenario.

What difference does it make? This isn't affecting seeding or qualification. The other team moves on in either scenario.
Right, but the other teams loses out on a game it was counting on. There should be ramifications.

That's a risk I'd be willing to take. Could become a non football member of the Northwest Central Conference like Rolling Train said.

I doubt it. But if that's the case, the NWCC is there. I mean, somethings going to have to happen in some way, shape or form. Hardin Northern dropped football for a year and got the boot. The old MAL worked for 30 years with non-football playing schools.
Holgate just got the boot from the GMC for similar reasons. I think it worked out for both parties

With no cut of presale tickets or travel reimbursement, what is the motivation for some programs to play in the second round if there is no penalty to forfeit and play a previously scheduled game.
I would think playing in a tournament for a state championship would be enough motivation. You can play those makeup regular season games later.

Odd it is not on their website. Since paper sold it has gone down hill. But here is the quote from paper I got.

"Our enrollment numbers are down to 155 total kids K-12. The days of Vanlue football could be numbered unfortunately." Kloepfer said. "Each year we seem to get a team out there. But with our numbers being down, it just feels like our days are numbered."

Note: at the most they will only have 8 players returning from this years team.

The print edition has deteriorated rapidly. sad.

Nope. I’m talking about ramifications for ducking a playoff game. Not sure what they should be, but ‘eh, no biggee’ seems insufficient.
I just don't see what punishment you can give them other than.... You can't play in the playoffs.... Which... You've already decided... Not to do.

It actually saves the ohsaa money so it's hard to argue there's damages.

Plus I'd imagine holding off as long as possible for three other reasons. 1. wait for Vanlue, Arcadia, and whomever else to make the switch at the same time. This puts them in a stronger position to not get booted for all other sports. More teams in the conference = less work for AD's scheduling games for sports with 20+ games. 2. fear of change. 3. praying for a miracle.

Last edited:
How about merge D-I with D-II, merge D-III with D-IV, merge D-V with D-VI, and convert D-VII to 8 man. Go back to the good ole A, AA, AAA format.
Seriously though I think 5 divisions is enough plus, one division of 8 man with what would have formerly been mostly D-VII and some D-VI schools.

Alternatively, the state could force the consolidation of public schools that do not have a minimum enrollment per grade.
Less playoff money.
It is really that simple

Delta Week 8 options:
Paulding Week 8 options:

When.will people learn that these decisions are NOT monetarily driven at the HS level— the money is peanuts— i just can’t believe people honestly think the driving force is money in any HS sport—none of these teams cover their costs— the teams are offered as an adjunct to curriculum==the district administrators go into it, knowing that EVERY sport is a cost center, not a source of profit— They offer the sports anyway— to benefit the students— NOT to make money— every school loses money on football, when the fully loaded cost is accounted— even Massillon (despite what their foolish, non-financially literate boosters think)...
Again, what about maybe combining with another small nearby district— to offer more sports, more competitive teams, more non-sports extracurriculars, and more class offerings— benefiting the students of BOTH schools? Why insist on carrying on at this tiny district level, when it means SO MANY of the district’s offerings are so limited? 8-man football does NOT solve the much broader problem of a district that is handicapped across the board, in resources (teachers, students, money, classes, extracurriculars) by being too small.

If they wanted to be a member of the NWCC, they'd already be there.

It is interesting that the BVC has gone from 12 football playing to possibly 8 football playing schools (losing Hopewell-Loudon, Leipsic, Vanlue, and Cory-Rawson) in only a couple of years.

It is interesting that the BVC has gone from 12 football playing to possibly 8 football playing schools (losing Hopewell-Loudon, Leipsic, Vanlue, and Cory-Rawson) in only a couple of years.
Question is do they want to try to stay at 8 or recruit more members? I'd opine for the latter if I were them