D1 region 3

lhubble

I know this is Pick Central’s region to win. Who will meet them in the region championship is the question?

At this point, the top challengers look to be Pick North and Groveport (Central already beat both) and Westerville Central (Pick North beat them). I agree tho this is Pick Centrals Region to lose

The game would be the Regional Semi's- Can Pick North or West Central stand up to the physicality of a GM and limit the run game

It really comes down to whether or not PN is the 2/3 seed or not (they should be unless they slip up these last 2 weeks). If they are, it seems clear it will be those 2 teams, and PCentral is tons better as we already know. An incredibly weak region. If for some reason PN ends up 4th seed and has to play PC in the semis, I'd say WCentral, Groveport, and Orange all have a shot, depending on who is in the bottom half of the bracket

Did Westland opt in? I mean getting beat by 40+ points a game isn’t enough? They’d like to go for a 50-60 point beat down?

So coaches vote for seeds. Assuming Pick Central is top seed and Groveport, Pick North, and Westerville Central are the 2-4 seeds.

Who does everyone see in the 5-17 slots?

Where does Darby and Davidson end up? How about Lancaster, Reynoldsburg, Gahanna?

The real question is who does end up 2-4. If PN wins out, they should be 2, GP 3 and WC 4. PN has done a good job of putting the pieces back together after losing Jack Sawyer and the Week 1 destruction by PC. The crazy thing is the PN game has been PC's closest game all year, LOL. No matter what PC is the biggest favorite out of any other region.

Groveport got beat by 40 points in week 4. What are they the 2 or 3 based on? Last year's graduating class?

PN is an entirely different team than the one that played PC. The new QB has brought a totally different dynamic and seems to be getting comfortable in their offense.

Westerville Central seems to have kicked it into gear.

Orange is always formidable and is much more battle tested this season than GPM.

I would rank it 1. PC 2. PN 3. WC 4. Orange 5. Groveport then the rest.

No matter how you cut it, PC is the clear favorite in this region (or maybe any other region).

How is Groveport ranked 6 losing to the #1 team in the state and Pick North only touch down was against the JV ranked #2 that makes no sense. 1. Pick Central 2. Pick North 3. Groveport 4. West Central is the more logical seeding

Right now my top five would be:

1. Pick Central
2. Pick North or Groveport
3. Groveport or Pick North
4. W’ville Central
5. Orange

I’m not impressed by W’ville Central and as someone who has seen both Pick North and Groveport I’d call it a toss up. North’s move-ins might be enough to get them the 2 seed, but if/when they play G-port I’m not convinced they have the muscle in the trenches to win the line of scrimmage. G-port is solid on the offensive and defensive line. Not sure North could stop a steady dose of G-port’s 250 lb fullback/battering ram between the tackles. He won’t rip off long gains but he’s good for 3-4 yds a carry. G’port could eat the clock up with first down after first down ala Davidson 10 years ago. North would have to score every possession because they might only get 1 possession a quarter.

So what does everyone have as their 6-17 seed? Where will Darby, Davidson, UA, Gahanna, Reynoldsburg, and Lancaster land?

Who might we see in first and second round match ups?

Right now my top five would be:

1. Pick Central
2. Pick North or Groveport
3. Groveport or Pick North
4. W’ville Central
5. Orange

I’m not impressed by W’ville Central and as someone who has seen both Pick North and Groveport I’d call it a toss up. North’s move-ins might be enough to get them the 2 seed, but if/when they play G-port I’m not convinced they have the muscle in the trenches to win the line of scrimmage. G-port is solid on the offensive and defensive line. Not sure North could stop a steady dose of G-port’s 250 lb fullback/battering ram between the tackles. He won’t rip off long gains but he’s good for 3-4 yds a carry. G’port could eat the clock up with first down after first down ala Davidson 10 years ago. North would have to score every possession because they might only get 1 possession a quarter.

The tape I saw of GPM ? PN beats them . They didn’t stand up and compete with PC at all in the second half . I was shocked at kids waving and not wanting to stick their heads and shoulders into the fray . I get they have a HUGE RB. But Walt ? GPM is not as good as PN overall this year . Centennial guys help , but this physical presence I hear GPM has is overrated from what I’ve seen . They got this reputation from the Burg game . We have seen that Burg is a year away and they are very challenged physically on defense this year .

The tape I saw of GPM ? PN beats them . They didn’t stand up and compete with PC at all in the second half . I was shocked at kids waving and not wanting to stick their heads and shoulders into the fray . I get they have a HUGE RB. But Walt ? GPM is not as good as PN overall this year . Centennial guys help , but this physical presence I hear GPM has is overrated from what I’ve seen . They got this reputation from the Burg game . We have seen that Burg is a year away and they are very challenged physically on defense this year .

I’ve seen both live. Groveport’s o-line and d-line are as good or better. I’m just saying that if it’s a stalemate at the LOS the 250 lb back wins.

North’s offense might be better but if Groveport shortens the game it puts pressure on North to score. North might get impatient and do something they regret.

It’s similar to formula that Davidson used 10-12 years ago that enabled them to win or keep games close against Central and Coffman when they had less talent.

I just don’t see North as being heads and shoulders better than Groveport. And I don’t see how/why W’ville Central should be ranked ahead of Groveport.

I would give North the 2 seed and Groveport the 3 seed. Then we’ll see how the regional semifinal game goes between the two of them. I bet it will be tight.

I’ve seen both live. Groveport’s o-line and d-line are as good or better. I’m just saying that if it’s a stalemate at the LOS the 250 lb back wins.

North’s offense might be better but if Groveport shortens the game it puts pressure on North to score. North might get impatient and do something they regret.

It’s similar to formula that Davidson used 10-12 years ago that enabled them to win or keep games close against Central and Coffman when they had less talent.

I just don’t see North as being heads and shoulders better than Groveport. And I don’t see how/why W’ville Central should be ranked ahead of Groveport.

I would give North the 2 seed and Groveport the 3 seed. Then we’ll see how the regional semifinal game goes between the two of them. I bet it will be tight.

Didn't say heads and shoulders above, but GPM played the OLE defense vs PC at some point , they quit , they waved they put a half hearted effort into keeping them out of the end zone on a couple of drives .They aren't that physical when they get punched in the face . 3 point win vs Lenkuhster? Nuff said

Last edited:
Groveport lost by 40 in week 4. That is much different scenario than getting blown out in week 1, especially this year. Pick North is a new team with the new QB. I bet they have a much closer game with PC if/when they play them again. Groveport in the top 3 or 4 just doesn't add up with their resume. I'd go with Orange and WC over them based on schedule. The only interesting game in this grouping is the PN- NA game. We won't learn anything from the others. In the end, it will all play out on the field anyway.

Groveport lost by 40 in week 4. That is much different scenario than getting blown out in week 1, especially this year. Pick North is a new team with the new QB. I bet they have a much closer game with PC if/when they play them again. Groveport in the top 3 or 4 just doesn't add up with their resume. I'd go with Orange and WC over them based on schedule. The only interesting game in this grouping is the PN- NA game. We won't learn anything from the others. In the end, it will all play out on the field anyway.
Absolutely , GPM will play one of these teams they are supposedly just too physical for in the play-offs . They beat up R-burg who is rebuilding on defense especially , and they couldn't get off of blocks and tackle the 250 pound kid . If they were as Physical as some seem to think , they aren't played to pretty much a draw vs Lancaster, no offense to the Gaels .

Pickerington Central will beat everybody in this region by 30+ Pick North will still lose by 30+ even with the transfers Pickerington Central is that good. WC lost to Pick North , Orange has 2 losses and Groveport only lose to is to the #1 team in the state. Your logic is off

When Central and North play again in the playoffs, I don't think the score will be as close as it was earlier this year. After this week, Central will not be dressing nearly as many players. They will not start rotating JV players in as early and they will start utilizing their best playmakers more often. The last time these two teams played, it was on ESPN so I think they wanted to get everyone in the game. The only points that North scored was on a long TD pass against the backups in garbage time. The new QB is a big upgrade and maybe North can get a few more players to transfer in over the next few weeks. When I went back and watched the film, the game was really much more of a mismatch than the score indicated.

Thanks to Joe E once again , even though the Harbins aren't being used this season, its a great seeding tool for the coaches. Seeding starts after this weekend or after your region has played all week five contests. Top 4 are easy to figure, seeds 5-16, the order gets Interesting and some good match ups will happen......Lets give this a try.......

1 PK Central vs 16 Grove City

2 PK North vs 15 Central Crossing

3 WV Central vs 14 Davidson

4 Groveport Madison vs 13 Bradley

5 Orange vs 12 UA

6 Reynoldsburg vs 11 New Albany

7 WV North vs 10 Gahanna Lincoln

8 Darby vs 9 Lancaster

Thanks to Joe E once again , even though the Harbins aren't being used this season, its a great seeding tool for the coaches. Seeding starts after this weekend or after your region has played all week five contests. Top 4 are easy to figure, seeds 5-16, the order gets Interesting and some good match ups will happen......Lets give this a try.......

5 Orange vs 12 UA

8 Darby vs 9 Lancaster
That seems about spot on. Some good match ups here. Possibly a few upsets in the middle seeds?

I feel like Westerville Central, Groveport & Orange are all capable to knock off PN on a given night (depending on how seeding shakes out). Any of those teams wouldn’t be a huge upset IMO. Upset maybe, but not out of this world.

5 Orange vs 12 UA

8 Darby vs 9 Lancaster

The only upset that i can see from those seeds would be Gahanna over West North.

UA over Orange isn’t too far fetched.
Heck, I’m not so sure Bradley couldn’t give a higher seed a tough game if their offense keeps improving. Ya never know...

I agree about Bradley. UA has qb injuries, if they get the #1 or #2 back then a game vs Orange would be a good one. Orange is well coached and has a solid defense, they struggle with teams who's QB's can run.

5 Orange vs 12 UA

8 Darby vs 9 Lancaster

Not sure how Central Crossing would be 6 lines worse than Lancaster when they have a better record and beat them head to head.

1 PC

2PN

3/4 West Central/Groveport

5 West North

6/7/8/9 Orange/Reynoldsburg/Gahanna/New Albany-of these 4 I'd probably have them exactly in this order. All of them 3-2 and Reynoldsburg beat Gahanna while Gahanna beat New Albany

10-16 GC/CC/Lancaster/UA/Darby/Bradley/Davidson-Hard to imagine considering the lineage, but I think Davidson might actually end up as the bottom seed. How times have changed.