OHSAA changes tournament financial structure

hammer89

Summary- tickets are online only, schools dont get a cut of the ticket sales this year, no tournament expenses will be paid by the OHSAA anymore, and some smaller sports (bowling, golf, etc) will have a $25 tournament entry fee.

This association has been the only game in town for ever rarely serving it's constituents best interests..

Pay the membership fee to a new body.

It would be a shame if a lot of schools opted out of the state football tournament and just played local schools for whatever gate money they can get.
We don't need them for a state tournament..they need us. It's time those pompous arses recognize that.

This association has been the only game in town for ever rarely serving it's constituents best interests..

Pay the membership fee to a new body.

That's part of the problem...there are no membership fees. And DeWine capped the attendance. Not the OHSAA

It would be a shame if a lot of schools opted out of the state football tournament and just played local schools for whatever gate money they can get.
It does make you wonder if this would cause any schools to use the option and opt out to be able to recoup any $$ on their own

A new organization isn't going to function differently is it? It's revenue would still be primarily ticket sales, no? What would a change accomplish?
A new organization would somehow do all the governance and organizational tasks we take for granted from the OHSAA with no revenue and all the schools would suddenly be swimming in money from all the imaginary membership fees they already aren’t paying. Duh.

Won't happen. Insurance and liability
What are you talking about again? The insurance is for the year and the OHSAA specifically said that schools could opt of tourney and just play games against each other to recoup money. 1500 paying customers is better than nothing. I don't understand your fascination with liability. It has been proven to be BS time and time again.

If you're sitting at 2-3 or 1-4 going into the draw for tournaments, I think this is probably a much easier choice now.
A few weeks ago would have said this is crazy, but the more you look at it, who's "excited" to have a #16 seed play a #1 seed on the road in football? Maybe get another league/local game in. Especially as we move forward & the haves vs have-nots in this crazy season will be clearly identified.

I think that's what they are going for. I don't think they really want a playoff with all 700+ football programs.

I think that's what they are going for. I don't think they really want a playoff with all 700+ football programs.

Yuuuup. You think the OHSAA wants to double the amount of refs they have to hire/pay just for some blowouts, among their other expenses? No way.

Half schools that opt in will lose in Week 7, and 75% by Week 8. THat still leaves 4 more weeks to play more regular season games. I think you'll see that a lot.

You don't have to opt out of playoffs to book more home games. You can do both

Half schools that opt in will lose in Week 7, and 75% by Week 8. THat still leaves 4 more weeks to play more regular season games. I think you'll see that a lot.

You don't have to opt out of playoffs to book more home games. You can do both
Correct. You can play two playoff games and a ten game regular season. I might be a little hectic but it can be done.

Some schools will opt out of the playoffs, but lost revenue won't be the reason why.

Correct. You can play two playoff games and a ten game regular season. I might be a little hectic but it can be done.

Some schools will opt out of the playoffs, but lost revenue won't be the reason why.
We already see that with basketball and baseball. The post season tournament starts while some teams still have regular season games going on. A little weirder for football, but should be navigable for schools that want to get in close to a regular number of games.

It does make you wonder if this would cause any schools to use the option and opt out to be able to recoup any $$ on their own

Ah yeah that’s good optics for the ‘we’re playing for the kids’- hey team, that tournament you guys want to compete in? sorry we’re actually opting out so we can make a little more money.