The state really dropped the ball

Just another perspective on what could happen. There might be super carrier's They would infect many at a large gathering. Is the risk worth it? That's the point isn't it? We just don't know. At some point we are going to have to resume life. Do we need a pause to try and come up with solutions? The Brits would have conducted the event. They wanted to use the herd immunity. They quickly decided to change course. Google the herd immunity. As we gather data we will be able to look back and see if the cancellation was necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: SCC
The tournament could of happened and should of happened that weekend with just family. They jumped to early and the kids got the short end of the stick. Sorry boys they let you guys down.
The NCAA shut down a billion dollar basketball tournament and you think some high school wrestlers were okay to go? It's been two weeks- it sucks for the students involved, but it was the right decision. We all need to move on

I think they should of gave 3 lb weight allowance and started the tournament on Friday and finished Saturday. No bells and whistles for finals etc just wrestle straight through. Just family and family only, no friends of family. Simple quick process , birth certificate, tax return from previous year or something that shows dependents , eliminates trying to bring friends in. Run online with video for each match and keep it that simple. Yes , it’s easy to armchair quarterback what they should of done . My thoughts probably have loop holes and folks that will criticize as well. For the seniors who don’t get that last chance, this won’t ever be easy to forget. For the underclassmen , this is why you go out and wrestle every match like it’s your last match! The last time you win or lose, it doesn’t define you, just something to think about in general . Not an exact comparison, however this is why the follow the leader format years ago was garbage . Until next year , or not, wash those hands and stay healthy .

The NCAA shut down a billion dollar basketball tournament and you think some high school wrestlers were okay to go? It's been two weeks- it sucks for the students involved, but it was the right decision. We all need to move on

Hey, dont bring common sense into this. I mean its not like the NCAA shut everything down, NBA, MLB and the list goes on.

I think they should of gave 3 lb weight allowance and started the tournament on Friday and finished Saturday. No bells and whistles for finals etc just wrestle straight through. Just family and family only, no friends of family. Simple quick process , birth certificate, tax return from previous year or something that shows dependents , eliminates trying to bring friends in. Run online with video for each match and keep it that simple. Yes , it’s easy to armchair quarterback what they should of done . My thoughts probably have loop holes and folks that will criticize as well. For the seniors who don’t get that last chance, this won’t ever be easy to forget. For the underclassmen , this is why you go out and wrestle every match like it’s your last match! The last time you win or lose, it doesn’t define you, just something to think about in general . Not an exact comparison, however this is why the follow the leader format years ago was garbage . Until next year , or not, wash those hands and stay healthy .
Well said. It could have and should have happened. The kids are still working out together. At least until the past 24 hours or so. I go to the park I see many of people there. Kids playing basketball together. People get the flu and died by the thousands each year and we don’t stop the world. Fear is the enemy within.

Well said. It could have and should have happened. The kids are still working out together. At least until the past 24 hours or so. I go to the park I see many of people there. Kids playing basketball together. People get the flu and died by the thousands each year and we don’t stop the world. Fear is the enemy within.

Thank you, I am guessing that you are one of the worlds leading epidemiologists and you have given your recommendations on this to the WHO, CDC and other organizations.

The tournament could of happened and should of happened that weekend with just family. They jumped to early and the kids got the short end of the stick. Sorry boys they let you guys down.

Like I've said before-there are more important things in this world than wrestling. Period end of story. This COVID19 will be written about in the history books and you want to talk about kids getting the short end of the stick. Wow.

it will be written about for sure.... something that killed millions or an over reaction affections billions yet to be determined

Like I've said before-there are more important things in this world than wrestling. Period end of story. This COVID19 will be written about in the history books and you want to talk about kids getting the short end of the stick. Wow.
To play devil's advocate, bate the kids so they can jump start this herd immunity Bill Cunningham ( 700am radio) talks about. Be a state champ and save lives! Watch what President Trump does. Ok on a serious note it's better to error on the side of caution ( make all the state qualifiers All- Ohio to qualify for some athletic merit scholarships), but history books are gonna judge what Trump actions were with more scrunity than the virus that Dr. Amy Acton got botched numbers/ models on, as said by one of the President's medical advisors( 6 to 8 thousand new cases per day).

Of all the high schools sports wrestling would be most likely sport to spread the virus around the easiest. I mean if one kid that weekend had the virus he could of affected the 5/6 kids he wrestled, could of affected multiple drill partners, coaches, teammates family who are congratulated him, refs, and who knows how many more people. That infected kid could of came in contact and infected 25+ people that weekend.

These kids bleed on each other or the mat every other match. They are getting spit on mats from mouth pieces falling out and sweating on each other.

If a kid won a state title but found out he spread the virus to a love one who ends up dying or gets really sick was it worth it.

There was so much unknown about this virus at the time it just wasn’t worth risking someone’s life for a wrestling tournament.

My point is , some kids had school up until the Monday after the tournament. With that take on it , what is the difference between being at school , Thursday through Monday , and finishing the tournaments by Sunday night ! With no fans !

Guys and Gals, it’s extremely hard to have a Tournament for any Sport when the venue is not allowed to have gatherings of more than 100 (at the time) and probably a number of Staff for the Venue in the “high risk” category. Sports and Social Distancing have never really gone together!

They should have sprayed the mats, officials, and wrestlers with lysol before every match. Hand out souvenir respirators to spectators. Table workers could have be put into boxes like hockey. Would have been a good clean time.

I have been all about the kids and said in other posts that it is ridiculous to hold wrestling above everyone's well being, but I didn't consider the fact that many of these kids were in school together on Thursday, Friday, and Monday.

In light of that, I have to kind of agree that the tournaments (all sports) could have continued that weekend, maybe an expedited version (2 days instead of 3), hell, they probably could have done one day if they really wanted to, a 16 man bracket tournament occurs all the time, could have made it single elim, or losers of round 1 are gone (like the old days), semi losers automatically 3/4, whatever it took, but considering they didn't wrestle in the interest of safety, but were sent to school to sit amongst many more people in a smaller space (compared to the venue with no fans), I definitely think it could have continued.

“Well if they could’ve gotten someone sick at school, it’s ok for them to get someone sick at a tournament!”

half this forum, apparently. Just because they were in school doesn’t mean they should’ve been. If it saves even one life by cancelling, that’s worth it.

You do realize that bringing people together from different parts of the state, and then having those people disperse back to their home base is different than just people being around their home base.

Then you also have to consider that the host location (Ohio State) was trying to get everyone the heck off their campus at the same time a hypothetical state tournament would have been happening.

Also it would have looked bad to basically be the only game in town left playing when everything else had basically shut down by Thursday or Friday of the state tournament week (pro sports, college sports, other states -- I think maybe Iowa high school basketball playoffs w/ next to no audience was among the few things that happened).

“Well if they could’ve gotten someone sick at school, it’s ok for them to get someone sick at a tournament!”

half this forum, apparently. Just because they were in school doesn’t mean they should’ve been. If it saves even one life by cancelling, that’s worth it.
well, we need to change the speed limit back to 45, or get rid of driving all together,...lets outlaw swimming in the ocean... going outside in a storm... you know, because if we save a life its worth it

My opinion is that they announced the school closings before enacting them so it'd give parents a chance to make plans.

To flip things...let's say they hold the state tournament. Couple days later a few people start showing symptoms. Little over a week past the state tournament and now there's two positive tests. And those two spent all three days walking around the Schott. Is it worth it then?

Another hypothetical.

Of all the high schools sports wrestling would be most likely sport to spread the virus around the easiest. I mean if one kid that weekend had the virus he could of affected the 5/6 kids he wrestled, could of affected multiple drill partners, coaches, teammates family who are congratulated him, refs, and who knows how many more people. That infected kid could of came in contact and infected 25+ people that weekend.

These kids bleed on each other or the mat every other match. They are getting spit on mats from mouth pieces falling out and sweating on each other.

If a kid won a state title but found out he spread the virus to a love one who ends up dying or gets really sick was it worth it.

There was so much unknown about this virus at the time it just wasn’t worth risking someone’s life for a wrestling tournament.
And the refs...a lot of them are actually in the high risk age.

The kids are fine. The moms and dads who live through their kids however...
You mean the kids will overcome this and deal with it! The kids that have worked truly hard this season and believed the were going to win a title are not doing Fine. They are crushed. The other kids that believe they did everything they could to be on the podium for the first time are crushed. The seniors that this was their first trip through the tunnel are crushed. So IMO to put out a blanket statement to act like its no big deal is unnecessary considering kids are reading this and some absolutely do care.

i dont have a hs kid... im crushed for them so i am not living through anybody... you can deflect this and say what you want about parents.... i feel soo bad for these kids

First, it is not the "state", it was the OHSAA.
Second, and more importantly, you obviously think that it would have been okay to risk the health of approx. 3500 people (672 athletes plus 4 spectators per athlete plus all the event workers) so you could have had "your" tournament?
Sorry, I don't agree. Sad as it might be, they made the right call.