Division lll Region 9

With Region 9 looking like it might be the deepest region in Division lll, what’s everyone’s thoughts after two weeks of play? What’s the magic harbin number to get in? Who’s in and who’s out?

Drew’s site will be up in a week.

But
Steubenville
Dover
New Phila
Csnfield
Ytown east
Ytown Chaney
Kenston
Aurora

So far.

When I first saw this Region I told people
8-2 most years means home game and 7-3 is playoffs

7-3 this year means no playoffs and 8-2 means road game

9 wins are a must
8 wins if you have a tough schedule and beat the right teams

Chardon hosted at 7-3 last year while 3 8-2 teams went on the road 2 others plus 3 7-3 teams didn’t make it in. Too many of these teams play each other. I’d guess it will be similar to last year. 1,2,3 10-0 or 9-1 teams. Filled up with 8-2 and one or 2 7-3 teams. Same as always.

Most improved team in the region and one that gets a home game this year will be NP.

Nailed it. These are projected.

Kenston wins out they will be a 1 or 2 seed. Steubenville will likely be 2 or 3 if they win out. Dover should clinch a playoff game before the Dover/NP game if they win their next 3 games. Elimination game for Chardon this week against Kenston. Niles Mckinley controls their own destiny if they win out. Aurora needs to beat Barberton for a chance at a home playoff game. What a brutal competitive region.

1. New Philadelphia (10-0) 33.56
2. Streetsboro (10-0) 28.75
3. Chagrin Falls Kenston (9-1) 27.65
4. Steubenville (7-2) 26.48
(Top 4 earn a first round home game)
5. Ravenna (9-1) 23.90
6. Dover (7-3) 23.59
7. Aurora (9-1) 22.95
8. Akron St Vincent-St Mary (8-2) 22.35
(Top 8 earn a playoff berth)
9. Niles McKinley (8-2) 22.00
10. Alliance Marlington (8-2) 21.00
11. Chardon (7-3) 20.05
12. Canfield (7-3) 18.35
13. Akron East (7-3) 18.00

You mean fourth or fifth best.

I would say kenston the is the best team in Reg 9 returning D3 state Champs with almost everyone retuning. Hard to put anyone in front of them in Reg 9.. prob replete.

svsm would be a bad a bad draw for anyone first round. Np better hope that’s not his first round match up.
Big red will be a tough out for anyone come playoff time. Young team starting to figure it out and will be playing well by week 11

Dover does not deserve to be playing week 11. To young and still have have a long ways to go before they get there. Still have 4 games to prove they can

I would say kenston the is the best team in Reg 9 returning D3 state Champs with almost everyone retuning. Hard to put anyone in front of them in Reg 9.. prob replete.

svsm would be a bad a bad draw for anyone first round. Np better hope that’s not his first round match up.
Big red will be a tough out for anyone come playoff time. Young team starting to figure it out and will be playing well by week 11

Dover does not deserve to be playing week 11. To young and still have have a long ways to go before they get there. Still have 4 games to prove they can
In no particular order it's New Phila (if they get some kids back healthy), kenston, steubenville and then everyone else. I can't say anything about streetsboro because I know nothing about them.

And I'd go as far to say SVSM has just as good of chance of getting out of R9 as anyone else.
I'm not say they're a group of scrubs. They're talented every year. And I know they're young and I'm sure they're getting better. But those teams at the top are veteran teams. Imo I just think that the experience of those teams will be too much for them. But that's why they play the games. This region is stacked so anything can happen.

I'm not say they're a group of scrubs. They're talented every year. And I know they're young and I'm sure they're getting better. But those teams at the top are veteran teams. Imo I just think that the experience of those teams will be too much for them. But that's why they play the games. This region is stacked so anything can happen.
The "experience" is a wash when comparing NP to SVSM; both missed postseason last year while making it in 2017. SVSM as a culture has been there many times while Quakers 2-11 playoff record is alarming. The Irish will also be a bit more battle tested should they be fortunate to make postseason.

Here are my thoughts on Region 9:

Streetsboro: I believe they're having their best year since 2012, when they last made the playoffs. Don't know how far they're gonna go in this region, but either way, they have something special brewing over there.

Aurora: According to fantastic50.net, Drew Pasteur has the Greenmen finishing in 7th in the region. If they match up with Streetsboro in Week 11, I could see the Greenmen defense putting together a good performance. The most points they've allowed this season is 13 (Week 4). That is impressive.

SVSM: If the cards fall right with playoff points, they could sneak in over a team like Niles McKinley or Marlington.

This region is CRAZY competitive.

There are three teams projected to miss the postseason, even at 8-2 (Niles McKinley, Marlington, Geneva), and four to miss out at 7-3 (Akron East, Chardon, Canfield, University School). And the Preppers could win out and STILL not have enough points to qualify, because their schedule isn't strong enough. Here are what some of the teams below 8th have to do to qualify:

Marlington: More than likely needs to win out (Best wins are against Salem and Miami Trace). They'll get help from Salem, and Miami Trace should win at least two of their last four games. Could also get help from Roosevelt, if the Rough Riders end up winning out themselves.

Geneva: Their best win is...Madison. They're gonna have to beat Perry in Week 9 to even have a shot. Either way, this is their best season in a long time.

Chardon: The game against Kenston is almost an elimination game for them. If they win tomorrow night, and the rest of the way, they will more than likely get in. Losing to Kenston and winning everything else gives them a less than 30% shot at making it. They did beat Kenston last year at their place. Can they do it again?

Canfield: Even if the Cardinals are to win out, they have a better shot than Chardon, but still less than 40%. They need to win out and get help from the teams above them, and teams such as Louisville and Alliance.

NDCL: Tomorrow night is a must-win for the Lions. If they can get past Benedictine at home and win their next two, they have a shot against Hoban. They win that game, they're in.

Coventry: The Comets have picked the wrong time to go south, with losses to Springfield and Woodridge. They have to beat both Streetsboro AND Ravenna, in addition to their last two. A split won't cut it. Tomorrow night is a must-win for the Comets with Streetsboro coming into town.

If anybody has anything else to add, feel free to do so.

The "experience" is a wash when comparing NP to SVSM; both missed postseason last year while making it in
The "experience" is a wash when comparing NP to SVSM; both missed postseason last year while making it in 2017. SVSM as a culture has been there many times while Quakers 2-11 playoff record is alarming. The Irish will also be a bit more battle tested should they be fortunate to make postseason.
By battle tested you meaning beating ONE team above .500? But you're right. They might be fortunate enough to back their way in.

By battle tested you meaning beating ONE team above .500? But you're right. They might be fortunate enough to back their way in.
That's the new criterion; it's only who you beat? I thought it would be the overall schedule. Listen, there are 2 schools on Irish schedule that would mop the water with NP and Steubenville, and 1 or 2 others that have a fair shot to win. As mentioned, it would be hazardous to Quakers if matched up with SVSM Week 11.

That's the new criterion; it's only who you beat? I thought it would be the overall schedule. Listen, there are 2 schools on Irish schedule that would mop the water with NP and Steubenville, and 1 or 2 others that have a fair shot to win. As mentioned, it would be hazardous to Quakers if matched up with SVSM Week 11.
IF the irish make it. They'll be the best of the bottom four. Should be a good warm up game for whoever plays them from the top of the region. Like I said, it's New Phila, steubenville, kenston, then everyone else.

Steubenville has a very difficult final three games. National Christian Academy comes in this week with a loaded roster. They have several players offered to FBS teams. Reno feels they have as much talent as we have seen in Harding Stadium in a while. Then after a bye week due to the Canadian Team disbanding, they travel to Columbus Desales. Then an undefeated Linsly School finishes the regular season. In normal years, Linsly will have a few good athletes but not ready to compete . I probably expect the same but they are undefeated for a reason. Winning all three puts Big Red in great shape for week 11. Two out of three probably clinches a home game too.

Regardless of Harbins or Pasteurs chances here are the best teams in Region 9

SVSM
Kenston
New Philadelphia
Aurora
Steubenville
Chardon
Louisville
Dover
Canfield
Akron East
also NDCL, Streetsboro, Geneva, Niles McKinley, Buchtel, Howland, Marlington

IF the irish make it. They'll be the best of the bottom four. Should be a good warm up game for whoever plays them from the top of the region. Like I said, it's New Phila, steubenville, kenston, then everyone else.

ASVSM is more than capable of beating any team in this region and probably the favorite other than Kenston. It would be a shame for NP to have the play them in the first round. Every team in this region would have at least two losses if they played ASVSM's schedule.

As a Philly fan I hope Kenston, ASVSM and Steubenville knock each other out in the first two rounds.

Funny thing is, If Philly played SVSM schedule they'd be in the same boat if not worse than the Irish. Hoban and Massillon would mop the floor with anyone in D3 and most teams in D2/D1. There's two losses. New Philly would have a hell of a time beating all three of Harding, Mooney, and Akron East. Let's say they would. You're calling SVSM a good "warm up" game when in reality, if NP played the Irish schedule they'd be in the same boat if not worse.

Funny thing is, If Philly played SVSM schedule they'd be in the same boat if not worse than the Irish. Hoban and Massillon would mop the floor with anyone in D3 and most teams in D2/D1. There's two losses. New Philly would have a hell of a time beating all three of Harding, Mooney, and Akron East. Let's say they would. You're calling SVSM a good "warm up" game when in reality, if NP played the Irish schedule they'd be in the same boat if not worse.
8-2

NP has had that schedule over the years.
It is what it is but in 2015
Played zanesville who was final 4
Played CCC who was state runner up
Played Perry who was state runner up.
Played Hoban in week 11.

Not sure about Mooney or Harding but NP would beat East.

New Philly is still riding on their high horse after they beat us (Steubenville). Not saying their a bad team at all, as a matter of fact their solid.

But come playoff time, it’s a whole new ballgame. Steubenville, Kenston, St.V/M, everyone knows they step it up a notch. I don’t think New Philly will be ready for that.

I hope we see New Philly again