Cleveland Browns 2024 Edition

Absolutely agree. I don't even think it's close, high school football is by far the best value. Though it's probably easy to say that as an Eds guy right now. :)

I'll most likely keep the tickets until they leave the lakefront because they were handed down to me about 10 years ago right as we were coming out of the dark ages (or entering them now that I think about it). I was there for those games in 2016 and 2017. In those years, me being a young 20s guy living downtown, it was great thing to have. No matter how bad they were, someone always wanted to go, and work thought I was "sick" on a lot of Mondays.

My allegiance to "going to the game" actually comes from the good times before and after the game Downtown. That's what years of being terrible does to fans. If they do move out to Brook Park, I probably won't renew unless I get some really good deal. I've been fortunate enough to go to a lot of stadiums, we're spoiled when it comes to stadium location. So are the Steelers and a handful of other teams. Sadly, the Haslams see the money in doing what Kraft did and building their own thing somewhere else where they control everything. I get that it's business, but it ruins the fan experience entirely. I have no desire to go to a chain bar before a game or tailgate in a parking lot that has ridiculous rules on letting people have fun.
I've had season tickets the last two years, attended many games before that and while I love going to the game and delusionally like to believe it makes a difference on the field the memories before and after the games with friends is the best part.

County sources told 3News Investigates' Lynna Lai that the Haslams began floating the idea of a new $2 billion stadium outside of downtown Cleveland last summer. Those same sources told Lai that the Haslams would be willing to put up half of the money and would look to cobble together regional, state, and private funding for the rest.
So why this piece of land by the airport? County insiders tell 3News Investigates the Haslams like the ready-made infrastructure, with the I-X Center nearby along with easy interstate access. Donovan also points out that owners in today's NFL like to build their own stadiums and develop the area around them.

"One hundred seventy-six acres in Brook Park would give you a dome stadium and all kinds of events there, but you're also looking at restaurants, bars, retail," he added. "A big development, a football experience."

Build it outside Cleveland and avoid all of the red tape and ridiculous politics.

Keep it where it is open air. Domes suck.

It's a shame. I feel like the faithful fans that stuck around when they were garbage should be locked in at the price point for when they went 0-16. I went to a game in December that year for 5 bucks and was able to walk down to the front row of the dog pound. I think I still overpaid for that ticket.
I forget what year it was but one time I waited till Sunday morning and got 3 tickets for like 24 bucks, it was high school prices 😂

If the Browns build a domed stadium in Brookpark, season tickets and waiting lists will skyrocket. First, everyone will want to brag that they were amongst the first to attend a game in the new facility; it happened with both Jacobs Field and Gund Arena. Secondly, those who hated sitting in the cold or rain will want tickets that they would have never bought on the lakefront. The diehards who think that sitting outside is the way football is supposed to be played will eventually come around and probably complain that it was like seeing a game in an airplane hanger and that the entire atmosphere was missing. But, they'll still come, even though they might say they never will. And...so many more events could take place in the facility that people will wonder why Cleveland went so long without one.
There is no reason they can't have those events now. Its a booking issue, not a stadium issue.

Pluto:

CLEVELAND, Ohio – When it comes to a football stadium, the last thing Cleveland needs to do is spend $1 billion upgrading the current Browns Stadium. It’s 25 years old. It never was a great venue when it opened – especially compared to the baseball stadium up the street. In 1994, Jacobs Field, as it was originally called, was a palace. It’s now Progressive Field and it’s undergoing major renovations over the next few years. It remains a tremendous ballpark with lots of character.

Browns Stadium has about as much personality as an old-fashioned shopping mall, the kind that are going out of business across the country. Like those malls, no matter what you’d do with them – time has passed them by. The Browns and the city of Cleveland are in a negotiating battle over the stadium. The current plan is to renovate Browns Stadium. Don’t do it. Not worth it.

WHERE TO BUILD IT?

I’m not going to jump into the politics of a Brook Park site vs. something in Cleveland. Browns owners Dee and Jimmy Haslam have floated the Brook Park idea. But I will ask this question: “Is having an outdoor stadium at its current location the best use of downtown Cleveland’s lakefront property?” If you’ve been to other cities on the Great Lakes, you know how Cleveland has wasted that valuable real estate. You can put a football stadium anywhere, you don’t need waterfront property. Those running the city have to know that, just as they have to know the lakefront doesn’t require a football stadium to enhance the location.

I know this won’t make some small businesses near the stadium happy, but please, get the football stadium away from the lake.
How many events are at Browns Stadium each year? Perhaps a dozen? The venues that bring business to downtown Cleveland are the arena and the ballpark. Combined, they cover about 300 days a year with something going on.

WHAT KIND OF STADIUM?

The Haslams are right: The best option for Northeast Ohio when it comes to a football stadium is a dome. It’s also more expensive, perhaps twice as much as upgrading the current stadium. The two stadiums being built now are in Buffalo and Nashville.

1. The Bills are starting a $1.5 billion project for an outdoor stadium. Public funding covers $850 million.
2. Nashville is building a dome for $2.1 billion, with at least $1.2 billion coming from public funding. It will be the new home of the NFL Titans, but other events will be held there because it’s a dome.
3. The three NFL stadiums built entirely with private money are SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles (2020); Gillette Stadium (2002) in Foxboro, Mass.; and MetLife Stadium (2010) in New Jersey.

Notice that only SoFi has recently been entirely funded privately. It also is the home of the Rams and Chargers, two NFL franchises.
There is some discussion of the Bears launching a stadium project, with the team offering $2 billion for a dome project. We’ll see how that plays out.

The NFL hates it when teams pay the entire bill for a stadium. They want all their owners having the option of squeezing cash out of the taxpayers for new venues. It’s how they have always done business and always will. The league has only 32 teams. You can’t open your own NFL franchise. And they leverage that power.

The Browns stadium issue will linger for months. I will write more about it. But the Browns and the city should look at what is best for the lakefront (not a football stadium) and where it would make sense to build a dome. They need to be focused. Put a mutual target on the wall instead of being distracted with different options. Once that’s done, then fight over the money.
I love Pluto but he's got shiny new thing-itis.

Yes the stadium is 25 years old...that's a baby in stadium years. No one is talking about taking a wrecking ball to Lambeau, it opened in 57. The new tax issue that just failed in KC I believe was for renovation, not new construction....its 52 years old. The Steelers stadium is roughly as old as our stadium, they getting ready to tear it down?

Speaking of Pittsburgh, for those who say we need a dome to draw big concerts and other events, Taylor Swift just played Pittsburgh in the facility formerly named for ketchup. For those who complain about the weather Buffalo is under snow 9 months out of the year and is building a new open air stadium.

Why isn't every town demanding a dome to "get a SB"? First I don't believe they'd put one in Cleveland, there are a number of events surrounding the game itself and no one wants to spend that week+ in Cleveland in February. And how many people could actually afford to go? If you are watching from your coach it makes no difference if its in Cleveland or LA. Even if they did award one it would be a one off, is that worth it for the extra billion plus cost to the taxpayer and losing a true home field advantage? And if you don't think the elements play a role just ask the Dolphins from this past postseason who wanted nothing to do with playing in cold KC. Or ask yourself how many games did the Browns win over the years because Dawson knew how to kick on the lakefront better than the opposing kicker?

Lastly people keep talking about this pie in the sky "development of the lakefront". What do you think they are putting there? I've seen condos mentioned...who's paying a premium to live on a lake that's frozen 7 months of the year? And how does that serve the public interest? Oh we'll put some bars down there...there's plenty of bars in Cleveland, what's special about being on the lake other than an increase in drunk drownings. The stadium, Rock Hall and science center bring plenty of people down to enjoy a view of the lake already.

^^^ This
Why isn't every town demanding a dome to "get a SB"? First I don't believe they'd put one in Cleveland, there are a number of events surrounding the game itself and no one wants to spend that week+ in Cleveland in February. And how many people could actually afford to go? If you are watching from your coach it makes no difference if its in Cleveland or LA. Even if they did award one it would be a one off, is that worth it for the extra billion plus cost to the taxpayer and losing a true home field advantage? And if you don't think the elements play a role just ask the Dolphins from this past postseason who wanted nothing to do with playing in cold KC. Or ask yourself how many games did the Browns win over the years because Dawson knew how to kick on the lakefront better than the opposing kicker?
^^ This is the truth.

I've been a Browns fan in Columbus for 50+ years. If the Browns get to a Super Bowl in my life, I want it to be someplace warm that I can go to enjoy it. I would not want it to be in Cleveland, or god forbid, Brookpark.

The Browns might not have to figure out how to overcome jet lag from their 12-hour flight to Brazil for the opener after all. Packers team president Mark Murphy, speaking Tuesday at the kickoff of the Packers’ Tailgate Tour, hinted that the Packers might get the nod over the Browns, the other finalist to face the Eagles in the opener Sept. 6 in São Paulo, because of Green Bay’s immense popularity in the country. “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil. ... We’re kind of the people’s team,” Murphy said, via Wes Hodkiewicz of Packers.com. “People really like the idea of a community-owned team, with our history and tradition.”

He said the Packers “anticipate a decision pretty soon” and noted that the Packers would embrace the opportunity to participate in the first-ever NFL game in South America, where Commissioner Roger Goodell said there are 38 million sports fans. “This is very important for the league,” Murphy said. “The Packers are very popular in Brazil. If we’re chosen, we’ll gladly go.”

The Browns might not have to figure out how to overcome jet lag from their 12-hour flight to Brazil for the opener after all. Packers team president Mark Murphy, speaking Tuesday at the kickoff of the Packers’ Tailgate Tour, hinted that the Packers might get the nod over the Browns, the other finalist to face the Eagles in the opener Sept. 6 in São Paulo, because of Green Bay’s immense popularity in the country. “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil. ... We’re kind of the people’s team,” Murphy said, via Wes Hodkiewicz of Packers.com. “People really like the idea of a community-owned team, with our history and tradition.”

He said the Packers “anticipate a decision pretty soon” and noted that the Packers would embrace the opportunity to participate in the first-ever NFL game in South America, where Commissioner Roger Goodell said there are 38 million sports fans. “This is very important for the league,” Murphy said. “The Packers are very popular in Brazil. If we’re chosen, we’ll gladly go.”
Good, let them go.

I don't like the idea of the Browns opening the season 5,000 miles away.

Worst NFL Draft Picks of the Past 10 Years​

Browns selections dominate our list, which features multiple quarterbacks and an offensive lineman as our top choice.

Brazilian national colors are green and yellow. Not hard to understand why the Packers are popular.

Flag-Brazil.jpg

The one day contracts are silly. If you really want to retire from a certain team sign a one game contract and log a couple plays on the field then tap out.

The Browns/media are really trying to sell the new helmet with the white face mask.

The Browns/media are really trying to sell the new helmet with the white face mask.
I like the look. There isn't really much to sell though, it's a recycled look. I wish they would update the official logo from the helmet. I'd like to see them officially use a dog or go back to the elf. The helmet logo is lame.

The one day contracts are silly. If you really want to retire from a certain team sign a one game contract and log a couple plays on the field then tap out.
Agreed. If you are a big time player that might make a teams' HOF or ring of honor, then sure. Not these two guys though..

Agreed. If you are a big time player that might make a teams' HOF or ring of honor, then sure. Not these two guys though..
I think it is says something about the players that they would choose to be identified as a Brown. Considering the fiasco the Browns have been, most players would run away from it.

I think it is says something about the players that they would choose to be identified as a Brown. Considering the fiasco the Browns have been, most players would run away from it.
Also the level of players Cleveland has had. What quality players have stayed here long enough to even want to come back and retire as a Brown?

The white face masks remind me of the mid '70's when they introduced the orange pants.

Not a fan of the orange pants.
I am always torn about the uniforms. I love the classic uniforms of the 1960’s through early 70’s which were brought back in the mid 80’s except with the white facemasks replacing the gray. I also love the Sipe era uniforms with the orange pants. I hope they keep both looks, actually. Not sure how they decide which look to wear each week, though.

Crazy that if the Browns draft someone in the second round this year that it will be the highest pick since 2021. What does Watson have to do this year to make it less painful and his deal actually worth it for the Browns?

What do the Browns do in the draft? For the most part, I really like this team. There isn't really a glaring need anywhere. I'd like to see them address the dline again and then add some offensive line depth. It'd be cool if they could get Mike Hall Jr. to have another Buckeye on the team, but with the WR depth in this draft, they might be able to find a legit #1 in round 2... or maybe I'm dreaming. I like the WR room, but Cooper isn't getting any younger. I liked the Jeudy trade, but the jury is still out as to whether it was bad QB/Coaching in Denver or if he's a bust. There is a sneaky need at TE for the Browns as well. Could they take Stover and keep him as #2 to develop behind Njoku? Again, I really dream of the day when the Browns take some OSU kids that turn into stars rather than Pittsburg doing it. Do they draft a young RB late in the draft to get some reps as an insurance plan for Chubb? If so, what are viable options late? I always like seeing the late round running backs from schools outside of power five conferences succeed. Some analysts are saying someone like a Danny Laube out of New Hampshire or Isaiah Davis out of South Dakota State.

Crazy that if the Browns draft someone in the second round this year that it will be the highest pick since 2021. What does Watson have to do this year to make it less painful and his deal actually worth it for the Browns?

What do the Browns do in the draft? For the most part, I really like this team. There isn't really a glaring need anywhere. I'd like to see them address the dline again and then add some offensive line depth. It'd be cool if they could get Mike Hall Jr. to have another Buckeye on the team, but with the WR depth in this draft, they might be able to find a legit #1 in round 2... or maybe I'm dreaming. I like the WR room, but Cooper isn't getting any younger. I liked the Jeudy trade, but the jury is still out as to whether it was bad QB/Coaching in Denver or if he's a bust. There is a sneaky need at TE for the Browns as well. Could they take Stover and keep him as #2 to develop behind Njoku? Again, I really dream of the day when the Browns take some OSU kids that turn into stars rather than Pittsburg doing it. Do they draft a young RB late in the draft to get some reps as an insurance plan for Chubb? If so, what are viable options late? I always like seeing the late round running backs from schools outside of power five conferences succeed. Some analysts are saying someone like a Danny Laube out of New Hampshire or Isaiah Davis out of South Dakota State.
I really liked a recent mock that had the Browns get the WR from Oregon and the RB from Florida State (Benson) with their first two picks.

Chubb is done. I wouldn’t extend his contract at all. In today’s NFL you should be drafting your starting RB in the second or third round every three years. It’s a throw away position these days. WR is now far more important.

As for Watson, he simply needs to stay healthy and be Watson. If he does that and the team is winning, which likely goes hand in hand, everything will be great. If he’s hurt all the time again the contract is officially a bust.

• Haha
Reactions: y2h
I really liked a recent mock that had the Browns get the WR from Oregon and the RB from Florida State (Benson) with their first two picks.

Chubb is done. I wouldn’t extend his contract at all. In today’s NFL you should be drafting your starting RB in the second or third round every three years. It’s a throw away position these days. WR is now far more important.

As for Watson, he simply needs to stay healthy and be Watson. If he does that and the team is winning, which likely goes hand in hand, everything will be great. If he’s hurt all the time again the contract is officially a bust.
I think keeping Chubb is really more of a PR move than a move to make the team better. I am hopeful he can return to somewhere near his previous level of play, but I can't imagine he'll be 100% and confident on that knee until at least next year. That was such a gruesome knee injury. Maybe he'll be the Frank Gore of his era and play forever. Although I don't think Gore ever had a knee injury in the pros.