• Russia

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • Jackson Center

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Troy Christian

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hopefully Richmond heights opts up next year. I think you will also see Lutheran East do the same thing.

It shouldn’t just be D1 though. I think it should be D1 and D2. Maybe all divisions you could move up?

If you have a good team you aren’t going to move up to D1. In all reality Russia could’ve competed in D2 to be honest. That was a hell of a team. Why would they move up to D1 though? But staying in D4 is a cake walk for them.

For instance if we did that in football there would honestly be no incentive for a team like Marion Local who are dominating these small divisions to move up if you can only move up to D1.

That’s not a great fix to be honest. The whole system is awful.

You can believe whatever you want. I'm telling you that every single player on that floor was in one of the Lima Catholic grade schools and did not transfer to LCC other than the one individual mentioned.
It has nothing to do with what Jr. High - grade school players came from. The advantage comes from drawing from a larger population area. It's sort of like playing a pick up BB game as a kid where my team is made up of the kids from my street and we are playing against a team made up from kids from all over the rest of the town. I know LCC runs a clean program, but they have a potentially much larger player pool to pick from than other D4 schools around them, and that is an advantage no matter how you look at it.

Naahh. Your on here every year defending the same thing. Call it for what it is. Your aau coaches want to dominate D4 and do everything they can to stay there. They want no part of of Harvest Prep or LE. That would hurt their legacy. So let's keep beating up on D4 small town schools and let's make sure stay away from Jesse and those guys that can match up athletically with us. You know it's true and that's why your on here every year defending it. It's a bad look. RH kids are great players and technically everything is legal technically with the ohsaa. Doesnt change it for it is. Beating up on a Hiland team missing 3 of their top 6 players is not what I call a great win but you guys celebrate all your D4 chips.

Naahh. Your on here every year defending the same thing. Call it for what it is. Your aau coaches want to dominate D4 and do everything they can to stay there. They want no part of of Harvest Prep or LE. That would hurt their legacy. So let's keep beating up on D4 small town schools and let's make sure stay away from Jesse and those guys that can match up athletically with us. You know it's true and that's why your on here every year defending it. It's a bad look. RH kids are great players and technically everything is legal technically with the ohsaa. Doesnt change it for it is. Beating up on a Hiland team missing 3 of their top 6 players is not what I call a great win but you guys celebrate all your D4 chips.
First off I'm not a Richmond Heights fan. Second you do realize that it's the number of boys in the school that dictates where you play - not how many basketball players you have. 🤔 Do you honestly think the basketball coach has control over how many kids attend the school ? If you do then your more clueless then I imagined. Do you think everybody associated with the school administration is trying to stay in D4 just so they win basketball games ? Why do they not do the same for the rest of their sports ? Which are horrible for the most part.

Richmond Heights has a coach that kids want to play for. Area kids want to play for a winning program. Is that so hard to understand ? Open enrollment allows that to happen. I wish there was a Heights person on this thread because they could verify that a majority of the team was long time Heights kids that have played together for a long time. Yes they do have some.transfers - many schools do. The word is Heights tried to go D1 this year and were denied permission - so what are they supposed to do. If Heights goes D1 next year you will find another team to cry about. Nothing is stopping your team from having open enrollment and attempt to attract players. Winning is the greatest recruiting tool and right now Heights and East are winning.

Definitely didn't have Richmond Heights is scared of Harvest Prep on my yappi bingo card for today
They are the best team in Ohio when healthy as they proved. They beat the D1 champs on the road. I'm sure Heights is not afraid of any team - let alone one from Ohio.

I'm astonished that people from small towns aren't aware that people in the big city relocate for opportunities for themselves and their kids.

If RH had 1 or 2 of their best 3 injured and Hiland won, would you call it a great win?
Could RH have moved up divisions this year for the tournament? I just don’t understand when people say things like “they do everything they can to stay there.” What were their options? lol
Did you know that RH has played Jesse and LE the past two seasons?

I'm astonished that people from small towns aren't aware that people in the big city relocate for opportunities for themselves and their kids.
Most people in very rural school districts are tied to the soil, so transferring very far is not an option. Small town America, there is a reason why they live there, and again not so many options. Urban people, many options for work and relocation is fairly simple. They probably in my opinion live the hardest life if the three, but can be more transient.

You do realize that last year they played Harvest Prep and wiped the floor with them 75-59 - they did not appear to be scared.

Hopefully Richmond heights opts up next year. I think you will also see Lutheran East do the same thing.

It shouldn’t just be D1 though. I think it should be D1 and D2. Maybe all divisions you could move up?

If you have a good team you aren’t going to move up to D1. In all reality Russia could’ve competed in D2 to be honest. That was a hell of a team. Why would they move up to D1 though? But staying in D4 is a cake walk for them.

For instance if we did that in football there would honestly be no incentive for a team like Marion Local who are dominating these small divisions to move up if you can only move up to D1.

That’s not a great fix to be honest. The whole system is awful.
Russia has never won a state bball title, doubt if they would have moved from D4. Plus, if LE is D5 next season and decided to stay D5, I imagine you would have quite a few D5 teams moving to D4. You could have twice as many teams in a region in one division vs another division. Not too many teams are going to opt to play in D1.

Edit: Let me put it this way if Marion Local is D7 region 28 this year but could move up to D6 R-24, about ever school in R 24 would jump to D5 R20. As the Flyers are going to have a very good team this year and area coaches know that.

Last edited:
If RH had 1 or 2 of their best 3 injured and Hiland won, would you call it a great win?
Could RH have moved up divisions this year for the tournament? I just don’t understand when people say things like “they do everything they can to stay there.” What were their options? lol
Did you know that RH has played Jesse and LE the past two seasons?
You know what I mean. Everyone does. Staying in D4 is not a myth. Tell me you guys are smarter then that. I'm not getting into the weeds on that one. I know RH played LE this year. They lost. Sure wouldn't want to take chance on that happening on the tournament. I have no issue with LE. They are at least D3. And they did it without TJ which RH took away and got caught. Everything's so perfect why was your star transfer ineligible? He got caught and yes it was shady. That's why people question everything they do. It's not hard.

You know what I mean. Everyone does. Staying in D4 is not a myth. Tell me you guys are smarter then that. I'm not getting into the weeds on that one. I know RH played LE this year. They lost. Sure wouldn't want to take chance on that happening on the tournament. I have no issue with LE. They are at least D3. And they did it without TJ which RH took away and got caught. Everything's so perfect why was your star transfer ineligible? He got caught and yes it was shady. That's why people question everything they do. It's not hard.
Explain it for us slow ones how does Richmond Heights "stay in D4 on purpose." Why do you keep ignoring its a legit small school in SIZE and there was no referendum for them to opt up?

Wait you said they were underdogs? What changed
Nothing on my end. I've said they were the best team in Ohio when healthy prior to the season starting. I knew once the post season started that nobody would hang with them. The AP poll unfortunately thought otherwise. I don't think RH was higher then 5 all season. They were not the top seeded team (on paper) heading into the post season - and that was according to the so called experts. The AP has and always will be a joke.

Russia has never won a state bball title, doubt if they would have moved from D4. Plus, if LE is D5 next season and decided to stay D5, I imagine you would have quite a few D5 teams moving to D4. You could have twice as many teams in a region in one division vs another division. Not too many teams are going to opt to play in D1.

Edit: Let me put it this way if Marion Local is D7 region 28 this year but could move up to D6 R-24, about ever school in R 24 would jump to D5 R20. As the Flyers are going to have a very good team this year and area coaches know that.
Yeah. An impossible system to be honest. Thats kore than likely exactly what would happen.

So maybe just d1 and d2 because those are being capped at 64

You only have the option to go D1 - you cannot opt into another division. It's where you belong or D1.
I know. I am saying they should maybe open up both of those. Would give more of an incentive. Seeing OG opt this year to D2 with other schools would’ve been awesome to see. Or Lutheran East. Would be cool.

My family grew up in a small town. I dont know what its like to live a city life. I also dont understand what all these kids situations are. Many of you on here aren't from a small town and may have grown up around city schools and players. You don't understand small rural schools unless you've lived in a small community. I know many schools in NE Ohio are not ideal for these kids. Everyone has an opinion. Mine is clear and many people agree with it just like many people agree with the other side. It's a broken system and it's up to each school and program to be as honest about it as they want to. RH got caught with TJ so it opens it up even more. If the best overall team in the state is in the smallest division for 3 years straight that's a problem. It's been spelled out on this thread where all the RH players were from on the team 2 years ago.

I know people say split private and public. In all reality the only way to stop people from complaining is separate small rural. Or just rural in general. So they play each other. 1 rural champion. That would make people happy.

I know people say split private and public. In all reality the only way to stop people from complaining is separate small rural. Or just rural in general. So they play each other. 1 rural champion. That would make people happy.
No it wouldn't. People would still complain. They would accuse teams of getting transfers, or being to tall or having kids that are to athletic - there is ALWAYS crying. They will say your rural area is bigger then our, etc. There is no pleasing people unless their mediocre team has a chance to win a title. We could have 12 divisions and there would be even more complaints.

No it wouldn't. People would still complain. They would accuse teams of getting transfers, or being to tall or having kids that are to athletic - there is ALWAYS crying. They will say your rural area is bigger then our, etc. There is no pleasing people unless their mediocre team has a chance to win a title. We could have 12 divisions and there would be even more complaints.
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I don't think I have ever complained about a school getting any kid via transfer. I think it's kinda weird to think that a certain area or district has a lien on a kid and if the kid moves or open enrollment transfers, some kind of sin has been committed. I either don't care, applaud parents doing what is best for their kid, and/or appreciate the freedoms that allow for that.

You take a RH team, I love seeing talented teams play. Heck, if the second coming of Lebron transfers in, good for them.

Just don't slot them to play in D4 because you make the tournament competition a farce. That's it. That's all.

All this "Oh, they will complain anyway" does have some truth in it because that's a pretty common trait in human nature. But when it is repeated every time someone makes an argument against the system and organization that allows the farce, but the argument is not acknowledged or rebutted, then it becomes nothing more than a cheap deflection and distraction.

Again, the problem isn't transfers, the formation of super teams, RH or any other particular school, or about winning or losing. It is solely for me about how you slot those teams for tournament play in search of the highest degree of competitive fairness.

If anyone wants to address that, I'd appreciate hearing some good criticism, but what we see on this thread from the other view is high on insults and low on addressing directly what many of us are saying is our actual problem. But, of course mischaracterizing it and then arguing against the mischaracterization is easier.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I don't think I have ever complained about a school getting any kid via transfer. I think it's kinda weird to think that a certain area or district has a lien on a kid and if the kid moves or open enrollment transfers, some kind of sin has been committed. I either don't care, applaud parents doing what is best for their kid, and/or appreciate the freedoms that allow for that.

You take a RH team, I love seeing talented teams play. Heck, if the second coming of Lebron transfers in, good for them.

Just don't slot them to play in D4 because you make the tournament competition a farce. That's it. That's all.

All this "Oh, they will complain anyway" does have some truth in it because that's a pretty common trait in human nature. But when it is repeated every time someone makes an argument against the system and organization that allows the farce, but the argument is not acknowledged or rebutted, then it becomes nothing more than a cheap deflection and distraction.

Again, the problem isn't transfers, the formation of super teams, RH or any other particular school, or about winning or losing. It is solely for me about how you slot those teams for tournament play in search of the highest degree of competitive fairness.

If anyone wants to address that, I'd appreciate hearing some good criticism, but what we see on this thread from the other view is high on insults and low on addressing directly what many of us are saying is our actual problem. But, of course mischaracterizing it and then arguing against the mischaracterization is easier.
You have an OHSAA problem. That is completely different from "theyre purposely staying in D4" or something like "they scared to harvest prep or LE in the tournament"

Somebody else sees it. Thats the real solution lol

This right here. It's like they get triggered that parents and athletes make life decisions with athletics in mind lmao.

I guess they don't do this in small towns, you know, relocate for better opportunities. I don't get why it's like a foreign concept to them. Do they not have friends or relatives in metro areas?