2023 MLB General Chat

I really wish the World Series schedule would go Thursday, Friday, take the weekend off, then Games 3 thru 7 Monday thru Friday. It’s tough to watch baseball when there are a ton of football games on. I didn’t watch any of Game 2 because of that.

Dusty Baker has retired, which means there are no more MLB clubs’ World Series opportunities for him to screw up.
I think Dusty had a really good career in baseball. A little surprised he lasted as long as he did, I don't see him as an analytics guy. Sometimes you wonder if he's really in tune with any stats. As the Reds manager, I think he used his gut feeling on most decisions.

I really wish the World Series schedule would go Thursday, Friday, take the weekend off, then Games 3 thru 7 Monday thru Friday. It’s tough to watch baseball when there are a ton of football games on. I didn’t watch any of Game 2 because of that.
I watched game 2, flipped over to Ohio State/ Wisky between innings. Some thought the Buckeyes would have a tough game in Madison. I think Fickel will turn things around eventually, but not yet. He needs to convince some there that you have to throw the ball to be successful in college football. Have they ever had a QB that could throw?

I think the series has turned after game 2. The Diamondbacks have really kind of dominated this series so far, not for a blast by Segar and the extra inning jolt by Garcia, they'd be up 2-0 coming home. Add to that the Rangers, in a critical game 3 tonight, has to send out old, tired Max Scherzer, who is just trying to come back from injury. He got knocked around this post season. The Astros got him for 7 runs in 6 innings.

I watched game 2, flipped over to Ohio State/ Wisky between innings. Some thought the Buckeyes would have a tough game in Madison. I think Fickel will turn things around eventually, but not yet. He needs to convince some there that you have to throw the ball to be successful in college football. Have they ever had a QB that could throw?
Wisconsin's offensive coordinator is an "Air Raid" offense guy. Their QB is not bad, they need better receivers.

They know not to compete with NFL on Sunday. But the weeknight 8:00pm games lose a lot of viewers by 10pm. Work and school night. MLB has made a lot of good improvements lately, with the pitch clock and expanded playoffs to regain and retain interest. They need to start their weekday playoff games earlier. 7pm Eastern would make a world of difference for many viewers.

Wisconsin's offensive coordinator is an "Air Raid" offense guy. Their QB is not bad, they need better receivers.
It looked like the kid they had could throw a little. Wisconsin always played that 1960's brand of football. Pretty hard to compete with the big boys these days and hard to recruit elite players with that style.

They know not to compete with NFL on Sunday. But the weeknight 8:00pm games lose a lot of viewers by 10pm. Work and school night. MLB has made a lot of good improvements lately, with the pitch clock and expanded playoffs to regain and retain interest. They need to start their weekday playoff games earlier. 7pm Eastern would make a world of difference for many viewers.
Yea I really don't understand the push to continue to cater to the west coast audience, who honestly don't follow sports as much as the east and midwest. It makes no sense to start games at 8pm. People would rather see the end of the games anyway, you start games at 7 or even 6:30 EST, the later innings is between 8-10PM EST for most of the nation.

The DBacks lost a big opportunity last night. The Rangers only score 3 runs, pitch a broken down Scherzer and get by with a 3-1 win.

Boy Aroldis Chapman came in the 8th and got in immediate trouble, gave up a run and was up against it. He got Carroll out on a called third strike on a great slider and got a fantastic double play by Segar. I just remember the days when Chapman was so dominate. Unless he walked you, you were not getting on base.

Losing Adolis Garcia reeeeeeally hurts Texas.
And just like that, it may not matter. I can't believe Arizona had to resort to a bullpen game in the world series. The state of starting pitching in baseball is kind of sad.

And just like that, it may not matter. I can't believe Arizona had to resort to a bullpen game in the world series. The state of starting pitching in baseball is kind of sad.
Yeah that was my thought. Having a bullpen game in Game 4 of the WS is shocking.

Losing Adolis Garcia reeeeeeally hurts Texas.
Oddly enough former Reds - but briefly - Travis Jankowski started in place of Garcia, 2 hits, 2 runs, 2 RBI. He's played very sparingly in the playoffs, up until last night 2 at bats. But hey, took advantage of his opportunity and the Rangers capitalize.

Guessing the Rangers and their fans don’t care about profit margin, prospect rankings or Jacob deGrom’s bad contract right now.

They spent big in free agency. They incorporated young players. They were aggressive at the trade deadline. They got rid of their bad previous manager and brought in a proven winner. Good for them for aggressively trying to win.

Guessing the Rangers and their fans don’t care about profit margin, prospect rankings or Jacob deGrom’s bad contract right now.

They spent big in free agency. They incorporated young players. They were aggressive at the trade deadline. They got rid of their bad previous manager and brought in a proven winner. Good for them for aggressively trying to win.
A recipe I would like to see the Guardians emulate on a smaller scale. Bring in Counsell with an offer he can’t refuse. Identify the main holes and fill them with smart free agent signings and trades. Let the talented young players play and develop.

Wait, so are you saying that once again the champ is a team in the top 5 of player payroll?

It seems to mean that if you invest and have a deep enough roster to overcome injuries to DeGrom and several other players you can win.

So where the Phillies, Mets, Dodgers, Yankees, Padres and Angels. How did that go for them? My point is yes the Rangers swung big and it paid off for them, but even with that, the odds are even if you spend, you may not win anyway.

So where the Phillies, Mets, Dodgers, Yankees, Padres and Angels. How did that go for them? My point is yes the Rangers swung big and it paid off for them, but even with that, the odds are even if you spend, you may not win anyway.
Only 1 team out of 30 can win.

Rumor has it the season is finally over?
Heard and read great things about the new rules but I'd say I watched less than one full game all season.

Each year it s less and less. Where yalls gonna go? Found plenty of things to do and places to go...didn't miss it a bit

Craig Counsell to the Cubs is a bombshell. A lot of MLB writers were predicting he might leave Milwaukee but not for the Cubs. Intra-division managerial moves are always weird.

David Ross was a bad hire from the start. Pretty savvy move by them to cut bait and correct the mistake. I can't believe the Yankees didn't do anything to get him

Craig Counsell to the Cubs is a bombshell. A lot of MLB writers were predicting he might leave Milwaukee but not for the Cubs. Intra-division managerial moves are always weird.

David Ross was a bad hire from the start. Pretty savvy move by them to cut bait and correct the mistake. I can't believe the Yankees didn't do anything to get him
Just goes to show you that money talks. The Mets and Guardians interviewed Counsell to sell him on what they have to offer. The Cubs just said, “How much?” and cut the check.

Pitch clock dropping from 20 seconds to 18 (with runners on base).
I have to admit, I'm really shocked how the players adhered to the pitch clock rules and the management of it. This had to be carefully constructed with the players union's blessing and the umpires enforcing it. I don't know that I saw an argument last season regarding clock issues. As quirky as some players are with time and their at bat rituals (and pitchers)...all that is gone now.
I really don't see the need to decrease this from 20 to 18 seconds, sometimes I think rules are changed just to have rule changes.

Oakland Athletics officially moving to Las Vegas. Very sad.
It's unfortunate that both the city of Oakland or it's leaders felt the A's were important enough to keep. And I get it, fans didn't support them so what can you do? It's crazy to think that back in the 70's, "small market" teams like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Kansas City, Oakland, Cincinnati were some of the best franchises in baseball then.

How about the fact that two pitchers in their prime, Blake Snell and Jordan Montgomery are currently unsigned?? It really shows the mindset of current owners and GM's. It's not about building winning teams anymore, but it's more about what you're willing to pay and what a player is worth. Snell just won the Cy Young for the 2nd time in his career, Montgomery won a world series with the Rangers. Are neither of these guys good enough to make a spot in a rotation of 30 teams? No. A sad commentary on today's game.

It's unfortunate that both the city of Oakland or it's leaders felt the A's were important enough to keep. And I get it, fans didn't support them so what can you do? It's crazy to think that back in the 70's, "small market" teams like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Kansas City, Oakland, Cincinnati were some of the best franchises in baseball then.
A bad owner, a decrepit stadium, terrible politicians, and a city on the decline (certainly in safety) were a lethal combination. It’s hard to blame the fans they have/had.

A bad owner, a decrepit stadium, terrible politicians, and a city on the decline (certainly in safety) were a lethal combination. It’s hard to blame the fans they have/had.

As the adage goes, there's plenty of blame to go around for everyone. Sure you don't expect fans to go support a bad team, but if you haven't been to a game in years, then you can't complain when they are gone. Even a not great team still is good for major cities from an economical standpoint. I don't know what the answer is and who's to blame, but as it stands in Oakland now, everyone lost - yet the owners are in a new city, new stadium, new fans, etc.

As the adage goes, there's plenty of blame to go around for everyone. Sure you don't expect fans to go support a bad team, but if you haven't been to a game in years, then you can't complain when they are gone. Even a not great team still is good for major cities from an economical standpoint. I don't know what the answer is and who's to blame, but as it stands in Oakland now, everyone lost - yet the owners are in a new city, new stadium, new fans, etc.
All I know is I can't wait to go see the Reds in Vegas. Dream scenario for me would be the Reds having a series in Vegas during the World Series of Poker. But I'm being selfish.