D 1 106 Final

A cartwheel requires your hands to be on the ground, they were not in this situation
Fine then call it an aerial cartwheel. He snapped the hands out of the way and went to the side. His feet didn't go over his head, they went to the side. Its literally almost the same situation in a front headlock when you snap, snap, change direction, snap and leap to clear your feet so they dont grab at your feet... except he was standing. there was ZERO illegal in that move.

and if you.

Pause the video,. you'll see both of Dodds hands on the mat and the Ref awarding the TWO at the same time. One could even argue that when Dodd circled to face Bickerton was his reaction time.. Yes it was a very close call. and I do agree with another poster who mentioned had this happened in the second period instead they'd likely let them wrestle through.. I believe Vegas had the line for Highland at .5 for state champs. might want to call Nevada and see if you can get your money back.

Sorry but you don’t “let it burn” when criteria is met. Bickerton was behind Dodd while Dodd had weight on his hands. It is true that refs all weekend were “letting it burn” after criteria has been met but that was wrong each time. This time they got it right.

Sorry but you don’t “let it burn” when criteria is met. Bickerton was behind Dodd while Dodd had weight on his hands.
That would have been control in college. In high school, within reaction time becomes a more important variable to if criteria was met. I thought they were still in a scramble, but when time ran out, it was exactly as you said. So it comes down to the official's judgment of reaction time.

Where it 2023-24 rule book is it.?. don;t see it, but if we are going by letter of law, a flying squirrel is a somersault over their opponent.. that did not happen in the match.
Rule 7, Art 5.w
"a back flip from the standing position, or a front flip and/or front hurdle over
an opponent in the standing position"
Fine then call it an aerial cartwheel. He snapped the hands out of the way and went to the side. His feet didn't go over his head, they went to the side. Its literally almost the same situation in a front headlock when you snap, snap, change direction, snap and leap to clear your feet so they dont grab at your feet... except he was standing. there was ZERO illegal in that move.
It doesn't matter where the feet go, it matters if the opponent is in the standing position at the beginning of the interaction and they are in this case. Later in the evening Attisano of Legacy Christian hit two flying squirrels during his tech fall to claim the state title where the opponent was grounded, both were completely legal. It's a nuanced rule that I don't blame people for.not understanding but you would think in the state finals this would be a call SOMEBODY in stripes could have gotten correct
1000002956.png

Well when there is time left on clock, officials can and tend to give a bit more time to confirm, but ive seen this type of call numerous times for years in last seconds of a period or match, they have to make a call either way . I saw no controversy call in D3 match with the officials, tough calls sure but no blatant error

We are on the same page. I was attempting to add on from another slide I viewed from NFHS as to why it is illegal.
Are we really surprised?

Sorry but you don’t “let it burn” when criteria is met. Bickerton was behind Dodd while Dodd had weight on his hands. It is true that refs all weekend were “letting it burn” after criteria has been met but that was wrong each time. This time they got it right.
Go take an officiating course.

Don't know about the legality (it happened too fast), but not convinced at all that control was established before time ran out. Personally, I think the scramble was still continuing.
Tough call. Reaction time is defined as "two seconds or less." It's been a point of contention all year and needs to be cleaned up. He had control, "two second or less."

If it was a cartwheel sure, but the rule interpretation explicitly mentions the "flying squirrel" in the interpretation which this undoubtedly is. I get that officials miss calls and are human but this is pretty black and white
The rule states no "forward flip." 7-1-5w. He didn't flip forward, meaning like a summersault, he spun around, facing down the whole time. More a slide by, like a frisbee. And for sure not a hurdle and not a flying squirrel. A flying squirrel if where the offensive wrestler dives over and ends up with his butt above his head, grabbing from behind. It was made illegal because it puts that wrestler in a piledriver position. Two all day.

Rule 7, Art 5.w
"a back flip from the standing position, or a front flip and/or front hurdle over

It doesn't matter where the feet go, it matters if the opponent is in the standing position at the beginning of the interaction and they are in this case. Later in the evening Attisano of Legacy Christian hit two flying squirrels during his tech fall to claim the state title where the opponent was grounded, both were completely legal. It's a nuanced rule that I don't blame people for.not understanding but you would think in the state finals this would be a call SOMEBODY in stripes could have gotten correct
View attachment 55669
You cite correct rule. But interpretted it wrong.
an opponent in the standing position."

No back flip. No front flip. Not a hurdle over his opponent. He spun sideways around him, more like a slide by. No rule about leaving his feet.

and if you.

Pause the video,. you'll see both of Dodds hands on the mat and the Ref awarding the TWO at the same time. One could even argue that when Dodd circled to face Bickerton was his reaction time.. Yes it was a very close call. and I do agree with another poster who mentioned had this happened in the second period instead they'd likely let them wrestle through.. I believe Vegas had the line for Highland at .5 for state champs. might want to call Nevada and see if you can get your money back.

The only thing was that th opponent was standing. Most takedowns are from that situation.

For those who don't know the rule, and quite a few here don't... NFHS 2023-24, 7-1-5w: it is illegal to do, "a back flip from the standing position, or a front flip and/or front hurdle over an opponent in the standing position." Clearly wasn't a back flip. Not a front flip, he never went forward like a summersault, he spun around like frisbee, always facing downward. He didn't hurdle him, he spun around the side.
Rule 7, Art 5.w

View attachment 55669
Not a back flip, front flip or hurdle. So, doesn't matter if opponent was on feet. You can clearly see in the photo you posted, he is spinning around, not hurdling and he is face down, not flipping. You didn't understand the rule of didn't see what happened.

The only real question is was there reaction time. That's a subjective call by the ref(s), which is often debateable.

For those who don't know the rule, and quite a few here don't... NFHS 2023-24, 7-1-5w: it is illegal to do, "a back flip from the standing position, or a front flip and/or front hurdle over an opponent in the standing position." Clearly wasn't a back flip. Not a front flip, he never went forward like a summersault, he spun around like frisbee, always facing downward. He didn't hurdle him, he spun around the side.

Not a back flip, front flip or hurdle. So, doesn't matter if opponent was on feet. You can clearly see in the photo you posted, he is spinning around, not hurdling and he is face down, not flipping. You didn't understand the rule of didn't see what happened.

The only real question is was there reaction time. That's a subjective call by the ref(s), which is often debateable.
Agree

Assuming the move was legal, the taken down wrestler had hands on the mats in a weight-bearing position with :01 on the clock (which meets takedown criteria). I do not know if the contention from the Perrysburg coach arguing the takedown (at the table) was about the time and/or his wrestler being in a weight-bearing position vs. the question being about the move's legality.

Tough call. Reaction time is defined as "two seconds or less." It's been a point of contention all year and needs to be cleaned up. He had control, "two second or less."
Believe criteria was established IF there was a standing reversal involved (moot point). Because time ran out before any possible scramble could continue I don't believe the officials made an incorrect call. Knowing how elite wrestlers can scramble I think that a few more seconds would have resulted in no control. LOL!! We will never know. In other words, my opinion is that if time would have continued the time he posted to the mat would not have met the criteria for control. Again, just my opinion.

You cite correct rule. But interpretted it wrong.
an opponent in the standing position."

No back flip. No front flip. Not a hurdle over his opponent. He spun sideways around him, more like a slide by. No rule about leaving his feet.

The only thing was that th opponent was standing. Most takedowns are from that situation.
1710252264686.png

If you sat through the rules interpretation meeting the year that these rules got added to the book and watched the video examples they provided this situation is exactly what they ruled as illegal. You seem to be hung up on the direction that the offensive wrestler's feet go after launching himself into the air which does not matter. What matters is if the athletes were in contact before the move began, they weren't, and if the attacking wrestler is attempting to vault their self over the opponent, he was. It's illegal and a pretty black and white situation that isn't really something up to interpretation.

I'll add to this the slide from Duane Morgan's (NFHS Rules Interpretor) PowerPoint presentation from the meeting they covered it with a diagram of what the illegal move is and how it functions. You'll notice the feet of the attacking wrestler go sideways "like a Frisbee" and his chest faces the mat the entire time
1000002958.png

There is no such definition to be found in any literature I have ever recieved.
What are your thoughts on this situation. I do not know either wrestler you seem to have a great grasp of the rules. Is The move actually legal or not?

If you read the 2017-2018 NFHS rules interpretation situation 6 it nearly perfectly outlines the exact scenario in this match and rules it illegal. Blown call by the officials, nothing new unfortunately
Nope. Rules are clear, not front flip, no hurdling.

I'd advise you to look into the definition of "hurdle" then consult the literature from NFHS on the situation, then watch the clip of the event in question. If after all that you still conclude it's a legal maneuver I would strongly advise you to either turn in your certifications or never attempt to become an official

What are your thoughts on this situation. I do not know either wrestler you seem to have a great grasp of the rules. Is The move actually legal or not?
Not sure what you are asking but I was referring only to the definition of "reaction time".
I recently heard a line that I liked a lot. If it is faster than reaction time, it is anticipation time.

I'll add to this the slide from Duane Morgan's (NFHS Rules Interpretor) PowerPoint presentation from the meeting they covered it with a diagram of what the illegal move is and how it functions. You'll notice the feet of the attacking wrestler go sideways "like a Frisbee" and his chest faces the mat the entire time
View attachment 55706
View attachment 55707
The only thing that didn't happen from the slide or the rationale was both wrestlers remained standing after. This is illegal by the book and rationale given.