2024 Boro Fan Almanac

Where did they end up going?
My oldest committed to EMU full ride but program shut down. Then started at Pitt as freshman, won starting spot sophomore year too but decided to transfer after talking with coaches about years 3/4/5. Transferred to Kent and started but environment & culture not same as Pitt.
My youngest went to Virginia and redshirted and transferred home because of distance and health. He is now at Ohio State in redshirt freshman year beat Kilkeary 2-1 but lost to McCrone 3-0. Has some health issues that he deals with daily and completing in that room will be a grind.

That's what I'm getting at we can't say it matters at the same time saying it doesn't matter. I guess I'm just another mad dad at the end of the day feeling like he got the short end. I'm happy this is the last year I'm getting sucked into the rabbit hole 😆 obviously at#19 he's not getting looked at by big D1 schools but the young man is looking forward to wrestling at the next level whatever that ends up looking like. He's worked extremely hard not many are going to say they were starting point guard in 7th grade then working hard to be at the state tournament as a senior. Not all yappi posters have a state championship doesn't mean we don't have an opinion or want to share an experience.
There are many options below D1.

There are currently 395 men’s wrestling colleges throughout the D1, D2, D3, NAIA and NJCAA levels. Google search colleges in lower levels and see if he can find a match academically and with wrestling. Many good options in small colleges looking for kids who still want to grind.

So on social media what site is everyone siting for rankings borofanohio.net if it doesn't matter it doesn't matter.

I'm not really sure what you are asking here. Him saying "Social media" is him saying that the coaches recruiting your son care about his social media presence. By this, he means that the coaches don't want to see guys that they recruit acting a fool on social media.

Again though - I don't understand where this question came from. Rankings really don't matter to coaches. I say this as a parent that had D3 and NAIA schools interested in my son.

He was recruited by several but it came down to which school had the major that he wanted because, in the end, that was what was most important.

My oldest committed to EMU full ride but program shut down. Then started at Pitt as freshman, won starting spot sophomore year too but decided to transfer after talking with coaches about years 3/4/5. Transferred to Kent and started but environment & culture not same as Pitt.
My youngest went to Virginia and redshirted and transferred home because of distance and health. He is now at Ohio State in redshirt freshman year beat Kilkeary 2-1 but lost to McCrone 3-0. Has some health issues that he deals with daily and completing in that room will be a grind.
Absolutely, good luck to him!

Mine too, they really don’t care about rankings, they care about competing, growing, habits , grades, coachability, attitude, yes winning is a major part but could careless about local area rankings. NSCA is a scam too by the way. You can do the same thing for zero dollars, every college wrestling program has a website to fill out an interest sheet. No matter what division, NAIA, Juco, etc

Not every college can be like Ohio St and Penn St to pick the top nationally ranked guys. A ranking can definitely get their name out there. Do you think college coaches look at Flo, Matscouts, Intermat national weight class rankings? After the name is on their list, yes they would look at the factors you listed. It would not shock me if Ohio colleges get a short list off the borofan rankings. It’s quicker than looking at results from 100s of tournaments. I doubt most college coaches look at his ranking, but you have to admit it would be a quick way to get names of the top wrestlers in Ohio.

Not every college can be like Ohio St and Penn St to pick the top nationally ranked guys. A ranking can definitely get their name out there. Do you think college coaches look at Flo, Matscouts, Intermat national weight class rankings? After the name is on their list, yes they would look at the factors you listed. It would not shock me if Ohio colleges get a short list off the borofan rankings. It’s quicker than looking at results from 100s of tournaments. I doubt most college coaches look at his ranking, but you have to admit it would be a quick way to get names of the top wrestlers in Ohio.
Maybe, I doubt it, for the same reason everyone was up in arms to start this thread. My guess is they would look at the OHSAA state brackets. This is absolutely no slam on Borofan I love the debates he creates. Most small schools don't have the recruiting budget, they prefer to have the athletes that want to continue wrestling in college reach out to them it shows they want it.

Last edited:
It's not hard today for schools to learn what they need to about a potential recruit. Between Track, Flo, You Tube, there is tape on everyone. Performance at States, Districts, USA Wrestling Events (Fargo, Regionals, Duals), Ironman, Super 32, Journeyman, etc. help put a recruit on a schools' radar. Can't understate the importance of academics and character. There's way more academic scholarship money than wrestling money out there. Be proactive, show interest, be responsive, follow up. Be able to communicate your goals as a wrestler and a student. Show them how you'd be a good fit with their program.

Last edited:
Most small schools don't have the recruiting budget, they prefer to have the athletes that want to continue wrestling in college reach out to them it shows they want it.

Yep, this cannot be said enough. You want him to get seen? I cannot stress enough getting to the prospect camps talked about on here. My son went to several and talked to several coaches each time. He filled out interest forms online and we went for visits.

Regarding Pender being ahead of Deem: Pender split with Kuhns this past weekend, while Deem is 0-1 against Kuhns this year. Like most freshmen, Pender seems to have much better results lately compared to the first month of the season.

It can be found here: https://www.borofanohio.net/the2024bfa

Sorry for the slight delay, I had a few problems with formatting when copying/pasting all three divisions into 1. As I stated on Twitter/X over the weekend, there is no dialogue this year due to so many conference events (40+) now falling on the final weekend. I felt like seeing the results this weekend was more important.

As always, I will not make any changes to the rankings. The only changes will be incorrect districts, numbering issues or incorrect stats to avoid causing any confusion.

THANK YOU TO THE COACHES, WRESTLERS AND PARENTS WHO HELPED ME WITH RESULTS ALL SEASON!
D1 120 #8 wrestled 132 at his conference tournament last weekend

Sanchez definitely has wrestled this season. I show him at least wrestling at the Rambler Duals at 127 in PA back in December.
Ok 2nd week of season, maybe been hurt, looked on Jakes wrestling and didn't see any results but saw their team has been wrestling, and saw the 32 from that same event has been wrestling 26 all season

Your boys were always fun to watch compete! Best of luck to the youngest at OSU!

You can always direct College Coaches with limited recruiting budgets to watch your sons matches on Matside Youtube or Spectrum Cable ..... :)

Your boys were always fun to watch compete! Best of luck to the youngest at OSU!
Thanks, it was a heck of a ride. We met a lot great families and lot of great coaches along the way. Many people played a huge part into their success growing up. If anyone ever has a recruiting question I’m willing to answer any questions you may have or point you in right direction as I have done the process 5x with the two boys.

Best of luck to all the boys and girls competing the next three weeks to reach there goals. One thing to remember, No matter what happens next two weekends if you make it to state you only need one good weekend to be a state champ. Take it one match at a time.

Again thanks and best of luck to the young men and women competing.

And if he's made scratch weight at 120 yet
Whether or not he has made scratch weight is not relevant here.

If on January 15th he could be a 120 pounder.. he could never weigh in as a 132 pounder, regardless if he has competed at 120 or not, and maintain his 120 pound eligibility.