ECC 23-24

cincinnatieng82

Way too early as school has not even started yet but I am interested on getting some thoughts about where we see the ECC in basketball this year. We are due for an exciting football season in the conference and I think basketball will give us much of the same

Anderson - They lost a lot in their senior class which was pretty talented including the Chandler Starks which they do have some talent returning will be interesting to see how the football talent/success will impact basketball
Kings - The favorite to win the conference they return a lot of their core with some new young guys stepping up and from what I heard about them over the summer they will be fun to watch
Lebanon - One of the biggest questions of the season, they have one of the best prospects in the state but do they have anything around him to win now?
Little Miami - Coach Kerr will give them a new energy, they are returning key guys to their rotation, and I Actually saw them play this summer I think they will be much improved and take some strides and win some games
Loveland - I have not heard or seen anything about them over the summer but I think maybe middle of the pack?
Milford - Dark horse team, they lose their leading scorer guard but Gavin Dalen is the real deal and a contender for OPOY for the conference
Turpin - Lost pretty much everything new coach they may be competing at the bottom
Walnut Hills - Lost a lot of seniors last year including one of the leading scorers in the conference, saw them play this summer they are long athletic and inexperienced I don't see them competing for a championship but if they can put it together they can be a solid team
West Clermont - The bottom of the conference lost a lot including their starting freshmen point guard last season I don't think they will be improved
Winton Woods - This is the biggest question mark in the entire conference, you have a new head coach hearing they had some transfers, I saw them play once this summer and their were a few new faces but the rumors around this program of transfers and such makes them a team to keep an eye on

Last edited:

Way too early as school has not even started yet but I am interested on getting some thoughts about where we see the ECC in basketball this year. We are due for an exciting football season in the conference and I think basketball will give us much of the same

Anderson - They lost a lot in their senior class which was pretty talented including the Chandler Starks which they do have some talent returning will be interesting to see how the football talent/success will impact basketball
Kings - The favorite to win the conference they return a lot of their core with some new young guys stepping up and from what I heard about them over the summer they will be fun to watch
Lebanon - One of the biggest questions of the season, they have one of the best prospects in the state but do they have anything around him to win now?
Little Miami - Coach Kerr will give them a new energy, they are returning key guys to their rotation, and I Actually saw them play this summer I think they will be much improved and take some strides and win some games
Loveland - I have not heard or seen anything about them over the summer but I think maybe middle of the pack?
Milford - Dark horse team, they lose their leading scorer guard but Gavin Dalen is the real deal and a contender for OPOY for the conference
Turpin - Lost pretty much everything new coach they may be competing at the bottom
Walnut Hills - Lost a lot of seniors last year including one of the leading scorers in the conference, saw them play this summer they are long athletic and inexperienced I don't see them competing for a championship but if they can put it together they can be a solid team
West Clermont - The bottom of the conference lost a lot including their starting freshmen point guard last season I don't think they will be improved
Winton Woods - This is the biggest question mark in the entire conference, you have a new head coach hearing they had some transfers, I saw them play once this summer and their were a few new faces but the rumors around this program of transfers and such makes them a team to keep an eye on
Anderson- agree
Kings- Solid choice to win the league
Lebanon- IMO kid is overrated. Gives zero energy or effort on the Defensive end of the floor. Offensively he can play. Rumors around Lebanon is HC Chivington is on the hot seat this season.... Multiple guys not playing that should be because of him...Stay tuned!
Little Miami- Can't wait to see what Kerr can do with this squad. Little Miami has played a lot of 2-3 zone in recent years and we all know that isn't Kerr's style. We will see.
Loveland- Solid squad middle of the pack who has the potential to knock off upper tier teams on any given night.
Milford- See above about Loveland.
Turpin- Ugh....
Walnut Hills-You can't prepare for the long athleticism that they bring to the court. Always a tough match up. I put them in the category with Milford and Loveland
West Clermont- Ugh...
Winton Woods- My dark horse... Will finish in the top two!

Anderson- agree
Kings- Solid choice to win the league
Lebanon- IMO kid is overrated. Gives zero energy or effort on the Defensive end of the floor. Offensively he can play. Rumors around Lebanon is HC Chivington is on the hot seat this season.... Multiple guys not playing that should be because of him...Stay tuned!
Little Miami- Can't wait to see what Kerr can do with this squad. Little Miami has played a lot of 2-3 zone in recent years and we all know that isn't Kerr's style. We will see.
Loveland- Solid squad middle of the pack who has the potential to knock off upper tier teams on any given night.
Milford- See above about Loveland.
Turpin- Ugh....
Walnut Hills-You can't prepare for the long athleticism that they bring to the court. Always a tough match up. I put them in the category with Milford and Loveland
West Clermont- Ugh...
Winton Woods- My dark horse... Will finish in the top two!
I haven't seen much of the Lebanon kid except for the second Walnut game last year and I was impressed for the most part. Kerr had his guys playing some really tough defense in the summer and I am excited to see them. I agree with WW being the dark horse not sure if I am ready to say top two I think shooting will be there Achilles heel through the season and of course being a Walnut guy I have high hopes for Coach Holt and company to have those young guys with there length and athleticism ready to play and turn some heads

I haven't seen much of the Lebanon kid except for the second Walnut game last year and I was impressed for the most part. Kerr had his guys playing some really tough defense in the summer and I am excited to see them. I agree with WW being the dark horse not sure if I am ready to say top two I think shooting will be there Achilles heel through the season and of course being a Walnut guy I have high hopes for Coach Holt and company to have those young guys with there length and athleticism ready to play and turn some heads
Pause

good league overall, im thinking 7 teams that will beat up on each other every night, 2 teams that might struggle, and 1 team that is just bad

anderson lost a bunch w starks thon etc...but they still have some guard play and one big guy. they should be just fine....brandy is a very very good coach
kings obviously returns lots of scoring talent but my question is what kind of defense do they play. if they can get stops they will probably win the league
lebanon is one of my two sleepers...thompson obviously very good and they really only graduated one guy who was important. in theory they should be good.
lm...new coach means new approach. maybe kerrs preferred style works with the players returning, maybe it doesnt? jones is good and they have some good shooting.
loveland lots their big guy and a few other seniors but returns their two scoring guards. not sure beyond that
milford will be huge. obviously losing morgan hurts but pretty much everyone else is back, i would ""sharpie"" them in for top 3 league finish
turpin is probably going to struggle not that anyone should feel bad for them with their long run of talented players. otoole is pretty good, no idea beyond him. probably a long year
walnut will also probably struggle...graduation and outgoing transfers will take a toll. inevitably some new faces will emerge but it seems they are in for a tough season
west clermont....yikes
winton woods is my other sleeper. yea they lost bostic but they have returning guards, weah kid is huge and once again im sure they will have some new faces. i dont know anything about the new coach so its possible that hurts them but on paper they should compete

groupings and possible predicted order...
kings
milford

anderson
lebanon
winton woods
loveland
little miami

walnut

turpin

west clermont
Just from being around Walnut I have more inside info on the team and I've seen them rather closely they will be better this year than they were last year a lot of length and athleticism that will make for a new brand of ball for them

curious if anyone has news or opinions on scrimmages....any transfers in our out of note....season coming quickly just trying to get ball rolling on chatter again

This is about the same now I think Winton Woods in now the clear favorite to win the conference interested to see how it shakes

Lebanon Roster added there leading rusher leading receiver and leader in sacks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231118_233729_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231118_233729_Chrome.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 71
I just looked at the Kings roster. Pretty much all the guys I expected from last year. But they’ve also added 2 sophomores. 6’6” and 6’8”. If those guys are getting good minutes, I think that bodes very well from them, because lack of size was definitely going to be their biggest weakness with the juniors and seniors.

I just looked at the Kings roster. Pretty much all the guys I expected from last year. But they’ve also added 2 sophomores. 6’6” and 6’8”. If those guys are getting good minutes, I think that bodes very well from them, because lack of size was definitely going to be their biggest weakness with the juniors and seniors.
One of them is a good player the other not so much

One of them is a good player the other not so much
I see Coach Molz listed Wyatt Kroll as a new impact player. He's the 6'6" one. I guess that figures.

I was wondering if our QB, Grant Nurre, would be on the roster. I've heard from lots of parents that he's a heck of a basketball player, but he's not listed. I wonder if he's taking the Will Kocher route and passing on basketball for a couple years, or if he'll be on JV.

This is about the same now I think Winton Woods in now the clear favorite to win the conference interested to see how it shakes
Will definitely be interesting. Caught them last night vs Newport and I could definitely see them competing at top of the league. Heard the point guard will only be able to play the first 11 games due to transfer rules so not sure how that might affect them into second half/tournament..but man the McKinley kid has got to get in shape. Was looking winded just 3 minutes in. Expected his body and game to look like he was just a top prep school last year but there was little to no separation. I think everyone there can honestly say he got out played by a sophomore post in James Turner. The freshman Griffin Starks didn’t play too much but the few possessions he had on him, he played McKinley well. I think he should have dominated both of them without a doubt but from my memory he maybe had 5 shot attempts in the second half. I don’t expect many or any teams in ECC to be on Newport’s level so he should dominate and WW should be at the top but he’s honestly got a lot of work to do if he wants to get on that floor for UC next year.

Will definitely be interesting. Caught them last night vs Newport and I could definitely see them competing at top of the league. Heard the point guard will only be able to play the first 11 games due to transfer rules so not sure how that might affect them into second half/tournament..but man the McKinley kid has got to get in shape. Was looking winded just 3 minutes in. Expected his body and game to look like he was just a top prep school last year but there was little to no separation. I think everyone there can honestly say he got out played by a sophomore post in James Turner. The freshman Griffin Starks didn’t play too much but the few possessions he had on him, he played McKinley well. I think he should have dominated both of them without a doubt but from my memory he maybe had 5 shot attempts in the second half. I don’t expect many or any teams in ECC to be on Newport’s level so he should dominate and WW should be at the top but he’s honestly got a lot of work to do if he wants to get on that floor for UC next year.
His big issue has been his conditioning since he was at Walnut so I think that has been his only knock I do believe he is coming off an ankle injury though so I'll shoot him bail there

I did not know the PG would have to sit out that will be interesting to watch play out as well

I see Coach Molz listed Wyatt Kroll as a new impact player. He's the 6'6" one. I guess that figures.

I was wondering if our QB, Grant Nurre, would be on the roster. I've heard from lots of parents that he's a heck of a basketball player, but he's not listed. I wonder if he's taking the Will Kocher route and passing on basketball for a couple years, or if he'll be on JV.
It'll be interesting to watch!

Outside perspective view of the conference:

1. Winton Woods: McKinley is the best player in the state, and they have other talent.
2. Kings: Expect Tommy Clark to average 20+. They will be able to score a lot but maybe aren't as good defensively.
3. Anderson: Lost 4/5 starters, but have a couple of nice players back and I like how their program is run. They will defend.
4. Milford: Good size and one of the better players in the league in Dalen. Not a ton of depth.
5. Loveland: Return 2 of their 3 best players and will be a team that can defend.
6. Walnut Hills: Really young team that has some talent.
7. Little Miami: A few pieces back but lack any firepower.
8: West Clermont: They were awful last year, but they return pretty much everybody and I love Wally. Don't see them finishing last.
9. Lebanon: Bad last year, but return a lot. No size.
10: Turpin: Only return 1 varsity player and there wasn't much in the pipeline.

I would be shocked if Winton Woods doesn't win the league with McKinley. Kings is the pretty clear next best team. You could convince me of any of the teams 3-6 next. Then, there is a big drop off to the bottom 4 teams.

1. Winton Woods: McKinley is the best player in the state, and they have other talent.
2. Kings: Expect Tommy Clark to average 20+. They will be able to score a lot but maybe aren't as good defensively.
3. Anderson: Lost 4/5 starters, but have a couple of nice players back and I like how their program is run. They will defend.
4. Milford: Good size and one of the better players in the league in Dalen. Not a ton of depth.
5. Loveland: Return 2 of their 3 best players and will be a team that can defend.
8: West Clermont: They were awful last year, but they return pretty much everybody and I love Wally. Don't see them finishing last.

I would be shocked if Winton Woods doesn't win the league with McKinley. Kings is the pretty clear next best team. You could convince me of any of the teams 3-6 next. Then, there is a big drop off to the bottom 4 teams.
I can’t wait to see this McKinley character.

I think Clarke is definitely capable of 20 pts a game, but also sharing the ball with Noyes who’s going to get his shots up for sure. That backcourt’s going to be fun.

Any take on Thompson of Lebanon? He looked last year like when he fills out he’s going to be amazing.

I can’t wait to see this McKinley character.

I think Clarke is definitely capable of 20 pts a game, but also sharing the ball with Noyes who’s going to get his shots up for sure. That backcourt’s going to be fun.

Any take on Thompson of Lebanon? He looked last year like when he fills out he’s going to be amazing.
Thompson lists himself as 6'6" on his Twitter. Last year he was 6'2. His wingspan is like an eagle. If he's added more to his game than spot shooter, he very well could be the conference's top scorer.

in general i think i agree but i think you are severly underrating lebanon.....i like them to finish top half maybe top 3 in the league.

wc will be last and its not close.... turpin also near the bottom.

winton woods clear top. kings second but they basically appear to have five guys......depth concerns with kings

anderson, milford, loveland, walnut, lm, lebanon will all beat up on each other. should be a fun leauge this season

Thompson lists himself as 6'6" on his Twitter. Last year he was 6'2. His wingspan is like an eagle. If he's added more to his game than spot shooter, he very well could be the conference's top scorer.
I remember seeing 6’2” on the website after watching them play Kings, and thinking he sure seemed taller than all our 6’2” guys… Maybe the 140 lb frame made him look taller than he was… I can’t wait to see him this year, I agree with your assessment.

I remember seeing 6’2” on the website after watching them play Kings, and thinking he sure seemed taller than all our 6’2” guys… Maybe the 140 lb frame made him look taller than he was… I can’t wait to see him this year, I agree with your assessment.
He is towering above the rest of the team, we went to a Lebanon event and he stood out over the entire team, nobody even seemed close and the shot looked good. Hopefully he can put it together, they will have to play run and gun with tough Defense. If they play half court they will get crushed in the paint.

Kings just tweeted out that they’re hosting Lakota East today at 5:00. This is not on the schedule on the ECC website. Is it a scrimmage?

Well, I went to see Kings play, and they got thumped pretty good. Lakota East looked like a pretty dang good team to me, but it’s tough to imagine an ECC contender from tonight’s performance.

The main takeaway for me was really how awesome Mike Mussari was. Last year the ball whizzed all over the court, guys were constantly getting layups and wide open threes, and the defense feasted on turnovers which led to fast breaks out the ting yang. Watching them today, I feel like most of that was due to Mussari’s IQ, presence, opportunism, and communication. Because they got none of those things today.

Apparently the 6’8” sophomore did not make the cut and was replaced by Nurre after football ended. Nurre to me looked like the best of the newcomers. He plays with aggression and confidence. Talan Noyes looked awesome and had 18 or so. Myles Baker looked very aggressive and effective on offense.

Well, I went to see Kings play, and they got thumped pretty good. Lakota East looked like a pretty dang good team to me, but it’s tough to imagine an ECC contender from tonight’s performance.

The main takeaway for me was really how awesome Mike Mussari was. Last year the ball whizzed all over the court, guys were constantly getting layups and wide open threes, and the defense feasted on turnovers which led to fast breaks out the ting yang. Watching them today, I feel like most of that was due to Mussari’s IQ, presence, opportunism, and communication. Because they got none of those things today.

Apparently the 6’8” sophomore did not make the cut and was replaced by Nurre after football ended. Nurre to me looked like the best of the newcomers. He plays with aggression and confidence. Talan Noyes looked awesome and had 18 or so. Myles Baker looked very aggressive and effective on offense.
Did Tommy Clark play?

Kings was such a fun team to watch last year. Hoping it picks up and can catch some of the same this year. Even the ladies games were fun to watch at Kings. GCL South games were killing me. Haha.

Kings was such a fun team to watch last year. Hoping it picks up and can catch some of the same this year. Even the ladies games were fun to watch at Kings. GCL South games were killing me. Haha.
I was probably too pessimistic. They’re relying heavily on a bunch of football guys and sophomores, so they need some time. And East looked really well coached and in mid-season form. They’ve definitely got great backcourt guys. If they get some of the youngsters to develop some inside presence, they could compete.

Kings Girls won a scrimmage yesterday on a buzzer beating half court heave! JV also won on a missed free throw, offensive rebound, and layup at the buzzer.

He did. He was cold. I think he had seven points.

Also - Trey Perry of East is awesome. Combo guard who shot the lights out and created great shots for others. I think he had 25, 16 in the first quarter.
Trey is right behind Tyler for best player in the city he is by far the best guard in the area