No Stage for state finals

Girls wrestling in the US grew from 36K lst year to over 54K this year at the high school level. That is huge growth whether you choose to see it or not.
Awesome to see the growth. Like I have said before, sooner rather than later the quality of the product will be great.
The idea that girls wrestling is saving the sport is simply a ludicrous statement

And the corona virus grew exponentially in just 3 years also.
Doesn’t mean the product is good and doesn’t mean everyone wants it.
It’s not helping to save boys wrestling.
It never needed help to begin with.

Last edited:
Whoever decided that there will no stage should be fired—or tarred and feathered. What a travesty. Please tell me this is not true!

With so many bad decisions being made vis-à-vis our culture, you’d think the wrestling community would get this right.

Obviously finals should be on the stage. Let’s keep a few goddam traditions!

Everyone should voice their concern to the tournament director tomorrow.
The OHSAA wrestling director position is currently open. Get your applications in!

“I don’t like how things are run”
“The job is open to run them if you’d like to apply”
“How dare you, you’re so stupid.”

alrighty then.
Umm, yeah… You don’t have to apply for the job every time you critique the job. Obviously.

And work on your syntax. It reflects your IQ.

No, but the job is currently open, which is why it was suggested. Here is your opportunity to make it better.
In the end OHSAA is responsible for the decision. Deflection won't work. Elevated mats and award presentations are gone. The public reaction is going to be hugely negative. You don’t maximize a sport with negative publicity. The powers to be had to know the negative reactions. Why would they not care?

In the end OHSAA is responsible for the decision. Deflection won't work. Elevated mats and award presentations are gone. The public reaction is going to be hugely negative. You don’t maximize a sport with negative publicity. The powers to be had to know the negative reactions. Why would they not care?
Unless the negative reaction affects their profit, I don’t think they particularly care. That may be a very cynical take but I think it’s accurate.

Unless the negative reaction affects their profit, I don’t think they particularly care. That may be a very cynical take but I think it’s accurate.
I don't think that's the answer. Let's visit the rabbit hole of the educational system. I have no evidence of such thought process put into the decision. But, It's not money and it's not room.

The awards presentation is gone? They just handing out the medals matside and saying congrats and good luck?

They're doing all awards at the end. Everyone complained finals took too long because they were breaking every few weights to do the awards, so they listened by doing it all at the end. Now you're complaining saying they're doing away with awards. This is a prime example of no one will be happy regardless of what OHSAA will do.

I hear ya. So have I. Where's the outrage?
Furthermore and speaking of outrage, I refuse to call Cadiz anything but Cadiz!

Carry on...
I literally was just telling my son about Cadiz in the 80's. Side note: TSFKAC, (the school formerly known as cadiz) has gray turf. Photos of games there are kind of cool. The teams colors pop, visiting teams, not Cadiz' blue and gray.

I'm more upset that I have to pay OSU $10/Session to park a mile away from the arena. And on a Sunday where I lost an hour of sleep.

I'm more upset that I have to pay OSU $10/Session to park a mile away from the arena. And on a Sunday where I lost an hour of sleep.
But.. you haven't parked on Sunday or lost an hour aa of yet, also, Quit smoking the devils lettuce and your eyes may not burn.

Last edited:
Good for the heavies. They've always deserved a crowd. I hope the entire arena stays. That's a win all by itself. It could only be better if they start the awards at 285 and work their way down..
I agree that all awards should always be held to the end, at every tournament. Everyone does deserve a crowd.

I don't really see a need to start wrestling or awards at heavyweight and work back though. Awards aren't really a big deal either way, but let those kids catch their breath and we can get started right away at 106. Especially the wrestling, though. Let's not put people to sleep watching two kids lean on each other for 6 minutes as soon as the finals start. People like to see some action and real wrestling, that's not a crime.

$40,000 cost. Plus starting session five at least 45 minutes later.
Total attendance used to be around 75,000, now has leveled off around 55,000, all the while ticket prices have remained the same for about 8 years.
So if everyone is cool with their ticket prices raising with inflation of the last 8 years and starting session 5 about 45-60 minutes later then the stage can come back.
That’s not laziness, that is financial and tournament logistic facts.

Total attendance used to be around 75,000, now has leveled off around 55,000, all the while ticket prices have remained the same for about 8 years.
So if everyone is cool with their ticket prices raising with inflation of the last 8 years and starting session 5 about 45-60 minutes later then the stage can come back.
Are you trying to say that platform costs $40,000? 🤣

Are you trying to say that platform costs $40,000? 🤣
Yes, that is the cost of the platform rental and the stagehand labor that assembles. This isn't a guess, this is direct knowledge. The previous cost for the 3-mat setup was closer to $30,000, and even that was a jump by about $6,000 compared to pre-pandemic costs.

Since you seem to be in the know..

When did total attendance level off? When they moved the finals to a Sunday?

Since you seem to be in the know..

When did total attendance level off? When they moved the finals to a Sunday?
No, it was years before that, I don't remember the exact years. This isn't secret information, they print the total attendance in the state tournament program. I want to say the peak years at the Schott were around 2005-2008 averaging around 75,000 attendance across all sessions but from 2008-2019 (approximately) it was a steady decline and then leveling off to about 55,000 total attendance the last several years.

I don't think the Fri-Sun schedule change had an appreciable effect on total attendance in 2022 if I recall correctly.

I'm sure someone on here has a state tournament program handy and could give us the exact years on that trend.