No Stage for state finals

I do think actual time (the time it takes to actually tear everything down, build the stage, and get it all setup) is playing a bigger part in this than people are realizing. Not trying to say its not still possible but does need to be acknowledged.
I have worked construction for a better part of my life, and I can assure you that an extra mat's length of construction for that stage is not a big deal. Even changing the stage into a square would be a simple project, if they wanted to run 2x2.That is merely an excuse.

I can also say that aesthetically, putting 4 mats down for the finals is going to have a terrible effect. Visually, it will become very crowded and chaotic. I think it's a terrible idea.

I agree, boys wrestling doesn’t need saved. Adding the girls helps grow the sport but separating their state tournaments doesn’t make sense.
I hate to break it to everyone who thinks the girls will stay with the boys, but they won't. If it continues to grow, and it will, the girls will not be able to wrestle alongside the boys. They will have to have either their own venue or their own weekend. They are currently only one division and look how much time and space they are taking up. Once they split into 2 divisions they will be on their own. If this year's tournament doesn't run as smoothly as planned, they may not even be back next year.

The girls are bringing in a little more revenue, yes, but they're nowhere near as popular as the boys yet and definitely aren't saving wrestling from anything lol

There is a time constraint and a resource cost associated with the stage.
I don't have the exact time it takes to create the stage, but I do know that it is just about being completed as I come back from my between sessions lunch break to get back in the arena. With the session ending later this year, there is question about if the stage (which has to be larger to accommodate four mats) can be constructed and ready in time.
The lack of a stage has been talked about since the girls' event was added in late spring.
Wait until the public arrives for the finals.

I have stated my position many times. Breaking with tradition won't sit well and the excuses won't either. I like the position "Nothing to hear here folks, move along"

Be sure to let the “Association” know this weekend that girls wrestling has not “earned” the right to have what the boys have earned from decades of hard work.
Or it's an attempt to grow ladies wrestling? I don't mind the ladies but not at the expense of tradition. Raised platforms and medal presentations are inspirational. Signifies we're all not equal when wrestling. There are champions and championships. Those that make it to the top of the mountain should be recognized. I can't help but wonder if that's a problem in today's OHSAA.

Two pages in 12 hours complaining about something that has been known for months.
Amazing!
You seem to be following the thread pretty closely. You must find it interesting. Take off your OHSAA hat for a minute and realize these things are important to people.

People know about elections way before they happen too. Doesn't the chatter and discussion always pick up when the event is upon us?

Two pages in 12 hours complaining about something that has been known for months.
Amazing!
You also have to realize that not everyone has the time to sit on Yappi all day for the entire length of the wrestling season to desperately search for any criticism of officials in order to save the day with a "We need officials, if you know so much about the sport I can help you become one" comment.

So, not everyone knew this for months.

Last edited:
You seem to be following the thread pretty closely. You must find it interesting. Take off your OHSAA hat for a minute and realize these things are important to people.
I would not say that I was following it closely, just that complaining about something that a decision was made months ago seems like complaining just to be complaining.
Obviously you don't know me at all if you really think I am a fan of the OHSAA.
The stage NEVER existed before the event came to the Schott so not having it was a "tradition" for a much longer period of time.
Is it nice to have? Certainly.
Does it lessen the event or is anyone less of a champion without it? Nope.
People know about elections way before they happen too. Doesn't the chatter and discussion always pick up when the event is upon us?
Interesting thought that has nothing to do with the discussion.
Have fun wasting your time on something that is not going to change.

You also have to realize that not everyone has the time to sit on Yappi all day for the entire length of the wrestling season to desperately search for any criticism of officials in order to save the day with a "We need officials, if you know so much about the sport I can help you become one" comment.

So, not everyone knew this for months.
LOL Funny guy. If YOU didn't know, you weren't paying attention.
More Old142 clones.
Enjoy the weekend.

I would not say that I was following it closely, just that complaining about something that a decision was made months ago seems like complaining just to be complaining.
Obviously you don't know me at all if you really think I am a fan of the OHSAA.
The stage NEVER existed before the event came to the Schott so not having it was a "tradition" for a much longer period of time.
Is it nice to have? Certainly.
Does it lessen the event or is anyone less of a champion without it? Nope.

Interesting thought that has nothing to do with the discussion.
Have fun wasting your time on something that is not going to change.
Going through looking at your likes and comments, I'd say you are definitely following it closely.

Have fun wasting your time telling me that I'm wasting my time. Thanks for always trying to save us from ourselves.

tumblr_inline_n8vwlep6pi1rf5nvc.gif

trying to say that the stage doesnt lessen the event for those finalists is way off base.
ask those finalists afterwards if they would have loved to have been on the stage
ask the previous finalists if the stage was awesome
ask the previous finalists if the march up on the stage was awesome and would have lessened the experience if that didnt happen
ask the young kids if the stage is something to really look forward to trying to make
some old ref speaking for those kids is wrong. ask the kids .. i have...and EVERY ONE has said the same thing

those are the real opinions that matter

trying to say that the stage doesnt lessen the event for those finalists is way off base.
ask those finalists afterwards if they would have loved to have been on the stage
ask the previous finalists if the stage was awesome
ask the previous finalists if the march up on the stage was awesome and would have lessened the experience if that didnt happen
ask the young kids if the stage is something to really look forward to trying to make
some old ref speaking for those kids is wrong. ask the kids .. i have...and EVERY ONE has said the same thing

those are the real opinions that matter
Wait until the finals take place. Shhhh it's already been discussed.

I hate to break it to everyone who thinks the girls will stay with the boys, but they won't. If it continues to grow, and it will, the girls will not be able to wrestle alongside the boys. They will have to have either their own venue or their own weekend. They are currently only one division and look how much time and space they are taking up. Once they split into 2 divisions they will be on their own. If this year's tournament doesn't run as smoothly as planned, they may not even be back next year.
This hits it on the head. If girls wrestling is here to stay, and it certainly appears that it is, then those who object to the girls wrestling today for whatever reason really should be rooting for girls wrestling to grow exponentially in the next year or two. Because the quicker the girls tournament grows to the point where it can't be held alongside the boys tournament the quicker the OHSAA will have to give the girls their own venue or weekend. And things for the boys tournament can go back to the status quo ante, stage and all.

I understand this problem. But to say there is no solution seems silly. There are so many coaches who would volunteer every single year to help set up to shorten time. Starting placement matches early so there is more time. Move it back to Thursday Friday Saturday so they could start finals a little later if absolutely needed. Not saying any of these are perfect solutions. It all goes back to the fact that they didn’t even try. It was a very lazy decision.
LOL Funny guy. If YOU didn't know, you weren't paying attention.
More Old142 clones.
Enjoy the weekend.
According to this guy we should all rollover with our legs in the air and be the silent majority !☀️

This hits it on the head. If girls wrestling is here to stay, and it certainly appears that it is, then those who object to the girls wrestling today for whatever reason really should be rooting for girls wrestling to grow exponentially in the next year or two. Because the quicker the girls tournament grows to the point where it can't be held alongside the boys tournament the quicker the OHSAA will have to give the girls their own venue or weekend. And things for the boys tournament can go back to the status quo ante, stage and all.
I hope the ladies grow the sport tremendously. I don't see how they won't explode. I will go to the ladies states if they break away. I love watching our women compete.

Stiffle speech you don't agree with?
Stop it. You sound silly.
It's a done deal this year. I don't believe anyone here doesn't want the stage. I liked the stage, but the stage is not going to be there this weekend.
Whining about it here does nothing to help, with the exception of the ol', 'misery loves company.'
I'm not against your speech. I understand what your saying. I don't disagree. But, It's not happening.

Stop it. You sound silly.
It's a done deal this year. I don't believe anyone here doesn't want the stage. I liked the stage, but the stage is not going to be there this weekend.
Whining about it here does nothing to help, with the exception of the ol', 'misery loves company.'
I'm not against your speech. I understand what your saying. I don't disagree. But, It's not happening.
I don't believe in that attitude. People that made the decision need to be held accountable. Explain why the stage is being removed? It's not silly to be against the move. What do you think the public opinion will be? I'd tell the people in charge to get moving and get the stage installed for this weekend finals. They have no idea of the blowback. Maybe they do and just don't care.

First of all, no skin in the game. I've never even seen a girls match live. I have watched plenty of boy v. girl matches. I am glad they have added the girls division because boys wrestling girls is a lose lose proposition. The perception has always been You beat are girl(insert your own comment here). You lost to a girl(insert your own comment here). There are those few exceptions(I'll let old142 explain those).
Adding the girls necessitated the changes to the boys tournament.
My true belief is that adding the girls is fine, but I don't think the number of girls participating warrants 16 girl brackets.
Evidence.
Girls division - 14 weight classes 224 participants.
Boys division - 14 weight classes, 3 divisions, 672 participants.
Bottom five win percentages.
Girls..............................Boys
5. 50 %........................5. 60.4 %
4. 50 %........................4. 59.4 %
3. 43.6 %....................3. 55.3 %
2. 38.1 ........................2. 53.9 %
1. 28.6 %....................1. 53 %
Fewest matches for state qualifiers.
Girls..............................Boys
6. 8..............................6. 19
5. 6..............................5. 16
4. 6..............................4. 16
3. 6..............................3. 16
2. 4..............................2. 12
1. 4..............................1. 9

Remember: 224 girls and 672 boys. Does this justify the girls sharing the same stage? Eventually, but not yet.

I don't believe in that attitude. People that made the decision need to be held accountable. Explain why the stage is being removed? It's not silly to be against the move. What do you think the public opinion will be? I'd tell the people in charge to get moving and get the stage installed for this weekend finals. They have no idea of the blowback. Maybe they do and just don't care.
They have explained it. Time and money. Blowback will be…what exactly? A bunch of people mad who already bought tickets? They gonna get a refund? No. OHSAA has their money already. They not gonna come back next year just because of the stage? Ok, OHSAA will take that risk. Attendance won’t nosedive because of a stage.

be realistic with who you’re dealing with and the likely outcomes here.