Elder Basketball 2022-2023

E had so many opportunities to make the game even closer but CV found a way to get a loose ball or E turned it over. And they especially were hurt on missed FTs. Tough to look at all those opportunities missed.

That said, they deserve credit for fighting until the very end and making CV pucker up late.

Was a fun season. I liked this team. Proud of the Seniors. May be one of Joes best coaching jobs even though maybe I was too critical at times.
IMO, he did a great job managing his lineup & subbing. I just wish they didn’t try to run with Centerville that 1st Half. That wasn’t this team’s strength.

And Double Helix, Cupps is why you want stars.
Cupps is certainly a star. Great player.

But Elder isn't going out and wooing them. I'd love to see a kid with that kind of talent at Elder, but it's just not what they do. Cupps would never have the freedom to do what he does anyway in Elder's offense.

They like the home grown kids and I don't think that will ever change. It is what it is, I still enjoy watching them.

Agree on the seniors, they didn't have alot of fanfare, but I would say they overachieved their expectations.

As I said earlier in this thread, Elder should hold their heads high. They absolutely had a great year and went as far as they could/should have gone. When you lose to a team that is better/has more talent, it is what it is. All you can do is maximize your ability and this team did that.

Altiora and thanks for representing Elder and all that it stands for.

Cupps is certainly a star. Great player.

But Elder isn't going out and wooing them. I'd love to see a kid with that kind of talent at Elder, but it's just not what they do. Cupps would never have the freedom to do what he does anyway in Elder's offense.

They like the home grown kids and I don't think that will ever change. It is what it is, I still enjoy watching them.

Agree on the seniors, they didn't have alot of fanfare, but I would say they overachieved their expectations.
What is “home grown?” Their best freshman player, who will play on Varsity next yr, isn’t from a westside feeder. Your oversimplification is dumb. Elder adapts to its strengths and they don’t avoid kids who are superstars.

They were down 14 at the half (33-19) and cut it to 10 at the end of the third (40-30). When they cut it to 46-43 with 1:05 left and the Elk called a time out, I thought to myself, "Man, they're going to do it!" But they scored a bucket and basically that was that.
Still, Purple Reign expressed my thoughts above.

What is “home grown?” Their best freshman player, who will play on Varsity next yr, isn’t from a westside feeder. Your oversimplification is dumb. Elder adapts to its strengths and they don’t avoid kids who are superstars.
There's no one in the program that even sniffs the talent of Cupps. There are no superstars. And I don't say that in a bad way. They're mostly Cincinnati Catholic feeder kids who collectively gel and put their hearts into winning and the team. I have no problem rooting for that. Sure it would be nice to have an ultra-talented player like Cupps, but they've never really had kids like that in their history, especially recent history, and it's not going to happen anytime soon.

You refuse to see the good in what they do and accomplish. They get the best out of the kids they have, and that's pretty damn admirable if you ask me. You might choose a different path if you were in charge, but you never give them credit for consistently competing at a high level with kids that aren't top tier athletes. You just look for things to complain about.

Last edited:
There's no one in the program that even sniffs the talent of Cupps. There are no superstars. And I don't say that in a bad way. They're mostly Cincinnati Catholic feeder kids who collectively gel and put their hearts into winning and the team. I have no problem rooting for that. Sure it would be nice to have an ultra-talented player like Cupps, but they've never really had kids like that in their history, especially recent history, and it's not going to happen anytime soon.

You refuse to see the good in what they do and accomplish. They get the best out of the kids they have, and that's pretty damn admirable if you ask me. You might choose a different path if you were in charge, but you never give them credit for consistently competing at a high level with kids that aren't top tier athletes. You just look for things to complain about.
No you jag, you’re saying Elder goes out of their way to not bring those types of players in, not true. That’s not the same as not having those kids come through.

And I’m tired of hearing how they don’t have top level talent. Browne is one of the best players in the city, if not state. He might not be a P6 recruit, but as a HS player, he’s top tier.

I’m also sick of always feeling like Elder needs to play the underdog narrative. They’re not some tiny school with limited resources. They should want to be looked at as a Goliath. All of these cheesy bulls**t about being nothing but scrappy tryhards is dumb. They have talent, they have resources. They’re just a few players away in football & basketball from being elite.

No you jag, you’re saying Elder goes out of their way to not bring those types of players in, not true. That’s not the same as not having those kids come through.

And I’m tired of hearing how they don’t have top level talent. Browne is one of the best players in the city, if not state. He might not be a P6 recruit, but as a HS player, he’s top tier.

I’m also sick of always feeling like Elder needs to play the underdog narrative. They’re not some tiny school with limited resources. They should want to be looked at as a Goliath. All of these cheesy bulls**t about being nothing but scrappy tryhards is dumb. They have talent, they have resources. They’re just a few players away in football & basketball from being elite.
I don't say they go out of their way not to bring them in. But Elder is not getting kids like Gabe Cupps and Jerome Powell like you want them to. They're not going to chase that, they never have. Give me an example of where they have chased that elite, high profile player? That's what you want them to do, and continue to focus on that instead of enjoying the success that's right in front of you.

I agree that a couple top tier players like that would put them over the top. It would put most teams over the top. Every high profile success story coming out of Elder from a sports perspective has pretty much been a feeder kid. They don't chase the superstar, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I don't say they go out of their way not to bring them in. But Elder is not getting kids like Gabe Cupps and Jerome Powell like you want them to. They're not going to chase that, they never have. Give me an example of where they have chased that elite, high profile player? That's what you want them to do, and continue to focus on that instead of enjoying the success that's right in front of you.

I agree that a couple top tier players like that would put them over the top. It would put most teams over the top. Every high profile success story coming out of Elder from a sports perspective has pretty much been a feeder kid. They don't chase the superstar, and there's nothing wrong with that.
They’re not going to actively recruit them, but that doesn’t mean they’ll never get players of that caliber. I’m not sure why you think they need to chase them. Also, Powell is really good, but he’s not better than Browne.

Again, it’s not chasing stars, but working to attract more non traditional players/students. They’re doing that right now. It’s an easier sell for Football & Baseball, but it can be done for bball.

They’re not going to actively recruit them, but that doesn’t mean they’ll never get players of that caliber. I’m not sure why you think they need to chase them. Also, Powell is really good, but he’s not better than Browne.

Again, it’s not chasing stars, but working to attract more non traditional players/students. They’re doing that right now. It’s an easier sell for Football & Baseball, but it can be done for bball.
They are already attracting far more non-traditional students right now. But these kids are cut from the same cloth as the traditional feeder kids from a sports perspective. Do you think getting more kids from Ignatius is going to elevate football and basketball? Yes, more talent to choose from, but the same level of talent.

And stop with the Browne and Powell comparisons. Browne is a college level player. Powell didn't have a great game yesterday, but he's a top 100 national recruit in his class with superior athleticism.

Last edited:
They are already attracting far more non-traditional students right now. But these kids are cut from the same cloth as the traditional feeder kids from a sports perspective. Do you think getting more kids from Ignatius is going to elevate football and basketball? Yes, more talent to choose from, but the same level of talent.

And stop with the Brown and Powell comparisons. Browne is a college level player. Powell didn't have a great game yesterday, but he's a top 100 national recruit in his class with superior athleticism.
If he’s a top 100 player, the ‘24 class must be terrible nationally.

If he’s a top 100 player, the ‘24 class must be terrible nationally.
I don't know, but you don't have to diminish Powell to elevate Browne. I agree Browne is very good, he just doesn't have that top tier athleticism that you crave so much, and is required for high level D1 interest. It's a heck of an accomplishment to play college ball at any level.

Last edited:
Powell is a 6"6 guard, averages 17 a game against a D1 and prep school schedule, shoots 40% from 3, is built well, and is very athletic. He's also only a junior. He didn't have a good game against Elder. You don't just throw out his body of work for one game.

Oh yeah, he has offers from over 10 schools, most of them high major (Indiana, Michigan State, Xavier, Alabama, Notre Dame, UC, A&M, Illinois). I guess you two know better after seeing him one time. SMDH.

Last edited:
Powell is a 6"6 guard, averages 17 a game against a D1 and prep school schedule, shoots 40% from 3, is built well, and is very athletic. He's also only a junior. He didn't have a good game against Elder. You don't just throw out his body of work for one game.

Oh yeah, he has offers from over 10 schools, most of them high major (Indiana, Michigan State, Xavier, Alabama, Notre Dame, UC, A&M, Illinois). I guess you two know better. SMDH.
I prefer my in-person eyeball test over video. The Elder game was my first time seeing Powell play. Even in video I could see he was a baller, and specifically a shooter, who was having an off shooting night. A big part of getting recruited is on the player, but you don't get a list of offers such as that by simply being a good salesman for yourself. You have to have the goods to back it up. Not only does he have great numbers for his high school team that plays a very tough schedule, but he's able to get those numbers despite them blowing many teams out and him sitting at the end of games. Same with Cupps. I'm going to assume he's also probably playing on an elite AAU team where he's excelling in the Spring and Summer against elite talent and in front of recruiters. Same as Cupps as well.

I prefer my in-person eyeball test over video. The Elder game was my first time seeing Powell play. Even in video I could see he was a baller, and specifically a shooter, who was having an off shooting night. A big part of getting recruited is on the player, but you don't get a list of offers such as that by simply being a good salesman for yourself. You have to have the goods to back it up. Not only does he have great numbers for his high school team that plays a very tough schedule, but he's able to get those numbers despite them blowing many teams out and him sitting at the end of games. Same with Cupps. I'm going to assume he's also probably playing on an elite AAU team where he's excelling in the Spring and Summer against elite talent and in front of recruiters. Same as Cupps as well.
Indeed.

We probably don't want to take talent evaluation advice from Omar or MadDog.

Stars show up in big games, where was he?
So if a supposed star has a bad night in what you deem as a big game, that is the line you determine that they are not, and can not, be a "star"? Once you see that happen it's a done deal for you?