Potential New Football Programs

The schools on the islands in Lake Erie probably have no sports. They are OHSAA members.
They would likely have cross country and track athletes and maintain that OHSAA membership to give those kids that kind of opportunity. Tennis, Golf, Wrestling, even Swimming if a kid wants it I guess.

According to the OHSAA’s constitution, a school must offer 2 sports per season in order to maintain membership in the OHSAA.

They both have sports, but neither have 2 in each season, at least according to their own school websites.

Put-in-Bay's sports are coed CC, volleyball, boys and girls basketball, archery, and sailing. The last 2 not being OHSAA sponsored sports I wouldn't think count toward the 2 per season rule.

Kelley's Island has only CC.

I'd imagine that since they're special cases where the schools are tiny, the cost to send students mainland every day would be astronomical, and they don't enter OHSAA tournaments anyway, they don't enforce the rule on them. They're really just members in name alone, considering their schedules have very few actual OHSAA members on them (and in PIB's case, they have Ottawa Hill's listed for bball.....OH doesn't have the same, so it very well may be a JV game for OH anyway) and they don't bother entering the postseason.

They both have sports, but neither have 2 in each season, at least according to their own school websites.

Put-in-Bay's sports are coed CC, volleyball, boys and girls basketball, archery, and sailing. The last 2 not being OHSAA sponsored sports I wouldn't think count toward the 2 per season rule.

Kelley's Island has only CC.

I'd imagine that since they're special cases where the schools are tiny, the cost to send students mainland every day would be astronomical, and they don't enter OHSAA tournaments anyway, they don't enforce the rule on them. They're really just members in name alone, considering their schedules have very few actual OHSAA members on them (and in PIB's case, they have Ottawa Hill's listed for bball.....OH doesn't have the same, so it very well may be a JV game for OH anyway) and they don't bother entering the postseason.
Actually Put-in-Bay participated in the OHSAA volleyball tourney this year.

Are there any schools have been in the transition phase to varsity that would be starting varsity August 2023?

Are there any schools have been in the transition phase to varsity that would be starting varsity August 2023?
I know that New London is playing another season of JV football. Last season was also a JV season, and the year before that was an 8 man season.

The only school coming up on the horizon so far is Patriot Prep Academy out of Columbus. They have Junior high at the moment.

The Dock heard a rumor about Tree of Life Christian awhile back but I haven't seen or heard anything since

The only school coming up on the horizon so far is Patriot Prep Academy out of Columbus. They have Junior high at the moment.

The Dock heard a rumor about Tree of Life Christian awhile back but I haven't seen or heard anything since
One of those “we’re interested in your league. Oh, we can get consideration if we add football? We’ll look to make a football program.” type deals.

Patriot Preparatory Academy Football Program is seeking:
HS Assistant Football Coach
MS Assistant Football Coach

We are hiring assistant football coaches for both sides of the field to grow and develop our Middle School/High School football programs. Responsibilities include assisting the head coach in leadership and supervision of the football program and team, helping to facilitate practices and drills for various position groups, and building a positive team environment that promotes the success of student athletes both on and off the field.
Candidates interested please reach out to Athletic Director Curt Caffey at ccaffey@patriotprep.com

They having some sort of JV team this year? Do they even have a Head Football Coach?

Patriot Preparatory Academy Football Program is seeking:
HS Assistant Football Coach
MS Assistant Football Coach

We are hiring assistant football coaches for both sides of the field to grow and develop our Middle School/High School football programs. Responsibilities include assisting the head coach in leadership and supervision of the football program and team, helping to facilitate practices and drills for various position groups, and building a positive team environment that promotes the success of student athletes both on and off the field.
Candidates interested please reach out to Athletic Director Curt Caffey at ccaffey@patriotprep.com

They having some sort of JV team this year? Do they even have a Head Football Coach?
I've never even heard of this place.

I don't see Hiland or Kidron CC ever fielding football teams in any form. Soccer is king at Kidron CC, and I don't know if it's true or not, but I'd always heard tales that Hiland's athletic fields sit on land that was deeded under the stipulation that they never start a football program.
which it is a shame, Hiland has a boat load of really good athletic kids, I would bet if Hiland got Football they would eventually be a very very good Div 7 football team.