Dover 2022/2023

Gilliard has been playing fantastic the last few weeks. Definitely has stepped up his game from the beginning of the season.

Really nice win for Dover last night on the road vs a solid Alliance team!

Next 4 games are home. 2 of them being teams from WV. WV teams are solid, hopefully dover can get the 3 ball going again so they can open up the offense.

Why is Dover playing
Wheeling CC, they are one of the smallest schools in WV. This will not get this team ready for the D1 tourney

How many quality D1 teams has Dover played. Lake-Massillon=Hudson. They are 500 teams or worse in D1

How many quality D1 teams has Dover played. Lake-Massillon=Hudson. They are 500 teams or worse in D1
It’s a fine schedule for a borderline D1-D2 team. It’s also tougher than the ECOL schedules of the olden days. You can’t expect them to play schools that have hundreds of more kids every night. As much as I’d love a deep D1 playoff run, it’s not realistic, so playing teams with similar talent and school size makes sense.

They have to play a certain number of OVAC games to get into the OVAC tournament. They play all the bigger high schools along the Ohio River that they can schedule. Playing 21 different teams is not an ideal situation but they have to do it to put together a full schedule.

These kinda people make no sense.. in years past when they never played any D1 schools they got criticized for playing a trashy schedule, so they schedule several D1 schools that are always solid at basketball and still get criticized 😂 Like cmon…

Dover is a D1 school who is playing at least 2 D4 schools. This is Hilands worst team in decades, why play them this year, why not in the past.

Dover is a D1 school who is playing at least 2 D4 schools. This is Hilands worst team in decades, why play them this year, why not in the past.
You’re really nitpicking:
- ISA- private school with talent
- Ellet- larger school
- Wooster- comparable-larger
- Hiland- small, but good program
- Zanesville- comparable
- Tri-Valley- comparable
- Lake- comparable-larger
- Benedictine- comparable/private
- Olentangy- larger
- Wheeling Park- larger/good WV school
- Massillon- larger
- New Phila- comparable
- Hudson- larger
- Alliance- comparable
- Wheeling CC- small/private
- Perry- comparable-larger
- Parkersburg South- larger/good WV school
- Steubenville- comparable
- River- small, but good program
- New Phila- comparable

While I don’t love playing the 3 D4 teams, they’re either good programs, or private. Not one game on the schedule is as bad as you’re making it out to be. Again, Dover has more in common with Phila, Zanesville, Tri-Valley, and Steubenville, than they do Massillon, Lake, and Hudson. It’s great to play up some of the games, but it’s fine to play a few big schools that won’t dominate you, and a few small schools that you won’t dominate.

Last edited:
It’s a fine schedule for a borderline D1-D2 team. It’s also tougher than the ECOL schedules of the olden days. You can’t expect them to play schools that have hundreds of more kids every night. As much as I’d love a deep D1 playoff run, it’s not realistic, so playing teams with similar talent and school size makes sense.
Disagree about the ECOL comment. When Philly, Zanesville, Cambridge, maybe Coshocton, Claymont, Marietta were at the top of their games, this was a brutal league. Not D-1 basketball, but an incredible, dog fight league almost every night and every ones non league schedule was usually really good.

Are you suggesting that BVK checks the schools enrollment before scheduling?

Last meeting the OCC said no.
It was Lexington and WH for a while. Now WH has NP’s old principal as their superintendent so they are on board with Dover. Now it’s Lexington and Madison that are blocking Dover from joining.

Hoping this either works out or they can get 6 teams together and start one. Dover, NP, Louisville, Canfield would be a great start if they can get 2 more to join them.

Dover's schedule isn't bad, especially for a very small D1 school. Unfortunately it doesn't help that the 4 D1 teams that Dover played from the same District aren't having good seasons at all. Here are their MartinRPI rankings for D1 (/198) and the Super District (/38): Lake #82 and #18, Massillon #101 and #23, Hudson #140 and #23, and Ellet #156 and #26.

I agree with Fumblerooski that a deep playoff run is not likely based on the results against the other 4 teams in Super District. Really good season so far though for the Tornadoes.

I’m suggesting the AD schedules schools that are similar in size?
Know they will be competing in D1 tournament they need to be ready for that. Unless they put more value on coaching victories, then by all means look at the school size and make sure they have more games against smaller schools. :giggle:

It was Lexington and WH for a while. Now WH has NP’s old principal as their superintendent so they are on board with Dover. Now it’s Lexington and Madison that are blocking Dover from joining.

Hoping this either works out or they can get 6 teams together and start one. Dover, NP, Louisville, Canfield would be a great start if they can get 2 more to join them.
Right now Lexington and Madison are a NO and Mansfield and Ashland are okay but not strong. Wooster is a YES and WH is YES but being careful it does not go to a 10 team league and they get tossed into a west division with Wooster, NP & Dover

I became curious about how Dover stands enrollment wise in the OVAC. For those not familiar,the OVAC is the largest athletic conference in the nation with over 18,000 students. The schools are divided in 5 divisions going from 1A up to 5A each with 10 schools. Dover sits as the 5th largest school in 5A.

And for Cone, Wheeling CC is in 3 A. Look for them to be very good in the next few years as they had some pretty good athletes.

I became curious about how Dover stands enrollment wise in the OVAC. For those not familiar,the OVAC is the largest athletic conference in the nation with over 18,000 students. The schools are divided in 5 divisions going from 1A up to 5A each with 10 schools. Dover sits as the 5th largest school in 5A.

And for Cone, Wheeling CC is in 3 A. Look for them to be very good in the next few years as they had some pretty good athletes.
So as they belong to the OVAC, the largest Athletic Conference in the nation with over 18,000 students, the OCC is not a concern.

And I believe Wheeling CC is a 2A not a 3.

Right now Lexington and Madison are a NO and Mansfield and Ashland are okay but not strong. Wooster is a YES and WH is YES but being careful it does not go to a 10 team league and they get tossed into a west division with Wooster, NP & Dover
I don't why Wooster,NP,Dover, Louisville,and maybe get Alliance and Marlington to come on board, to get a league started

I don't why Wooster,NP,Dover, Louisville,and maybe get Alliance and Marlington to come on board, to get a league started
I think that would be a great league. Geography, facilities, competitiveness- it makes sense. I think the EBC would need to fold first, to make that happen though.