Canfield Cardinals Schedule and Outlook for 2023

This year is the year where the middle school started to be really good they’re gonna be seniors this year. The simple minded Struthers people lump them all together. Last years seniors went 4-4 their 8th grade year I believe. Girard will be very tough this season if they can stay healthy, Hubbard should be better, Poland can’t be much worse, lakeview should move conferences, and Niles will be what they normally are if that RB stays in Niles
I thought the Niles RB, is coming to Girard?

It hasn’t been close and will continue to be. Springfield is not going to be glad they’re in the conference they are in for the next couple years. The other games are tough of course but lumping Springfield into a tough schedule is a stretch them being D7.
I hear ya. I just disagree. Divisions, as the NE8 knows, isn’t really an accurate indicator.
It’s a long time rival and it’s going to be one of three very physical games to start the season.

I hear ya. I just disagree. Divisions, as the NE8 knows, isn’t really an accurate indicator.
It’s a long time rival and it’s going to be one of three very physical games to start the season.
I get what you’re saying, it can be physical but I think it’ll be over by halftime regardless

Unless they move him back to WR, or RB. I know he hasn't completely developed as a passer maybe quite yet, for Girard's standards, but his athletic ability is hard to pass up playing the QB position
I believe that is the case he will move to another skill position

This year is the year where the middle school started to be really good they’re gonna be seniors this year. The simple minded Struthers people lump them all together. Last years seniors went 4-4 their 8th grade year I believe. Girard will be very tough this season if they can stay healthy, Hubbard should be better, Poland can’t be much worse, lakeview should move conferences, and Niles will be what they normally are if that RB stays in Niles
Interesting, if Lakeview should leave would likely mean you expect Canfield and Howland to join the NE8? There is no other interest in the valley to join the NE8 outside maybe maybe Salem and WB

@redlep
Most of this conversation is why Canfield won't get a sniff of this league. They want to pick games they are for sure to win.
Even last year they lose 1 maybe 2 league games
That isn't what coach Pav wants he wants wins no matter if they have to travel or not.
Don't play teams in area that can beat you
That's why he keeps my dogs on schedule
Cause his brother is an of a coach

Interesting, if Lakeview should leave would likely mean you expect Canfield and Howland to join the NE8? There is no other interest in the valley to join the NE8 outside maybe maybe Salem and WB
No I don’t see Canfield or Howland ever joining the conference. Salem/WB would be possible but still not likely.

@redlep
Most of this conversation is why Canfield won't get a sniff of this league. They want to pick games they are for sure to win.
Even last year they lose 1 maybe 2 league games
That isn't what coach Pav wants he wants wins no matter if they have to travel or not.
Don't play teams in area that can beat you
That's why he keeps my dogs on schedule
Cause his brother is an of a coach
I am no fan of Canfield but you are trying to tell me Boardman, Dover and West Branch were not better than the teams in the NE8? If I am not mistaken, the WB QB was hurt when they lost to Jefferson. I believe SR was a great team last year but if they played Canfield, Boardman, Dover and WB they go maybe 2-2. I am on board with the talk of Canfield playing Fitch, Ursuline, CM, Harding, Boardman, Chaney and Louisville but the remaining 3 games should come from the NE8. Or if they are in the NE8 their 3 non conference should be Boardman, Fitch and Harding since there are no D3 schools in the conference.

I am no fan of Canfield but you are trying to tell me Boardman, Dover and West Branch were not better than the teams in the NE8? If I am not mistaken, the WB QB was hurt when they lost to Jefferson. I believe SR was a great team last year but if they played Canfield, Boardman, Dover and WB they go maybe 2-2. I am on board with the talk of Canfield playing Fitch, Ursuline, CM, Harding, Boardman, Chaney and Louisville but the remaining 3 games should come from the NE8. Or if they are in the NE8 their 3 non conference should be Boardman, Fitch and Harding since there are no D3 schools in the conference.

Boardman, Dover, or West Branch would not have touched South Range last year.

@kingpin2010 West Branch with everyone at 100%, and DeShields playing full-time on defense is completely different than the West Branch team that ultimately played Jefferson. Boardman I agree wasn't good, and Dover played really good some weeks and some weeks not so much, so that one is hard to judge. Had they played like they did in their best efforts it would have been a game, had they played like they did in the other half the games, they would get blown out by SR.

@kingpin2010 West Branch with everyone at 100%, and DeShields playing full-time on defense is completely different than the West Branch team that ultimately played Jefferson. Boardman I agree wasn't good, and Dover played really good some weeks and some weeks not so much, so that one is hard to judge. Had they played like they did in their best efforts it would have been a game, had they played like they did in the other half the games, they would get blown out by SR.
You played WB week 1 when they had to replace all of their skill besides the QB. You didn’t play them at their best either not even close

You are totally delusional if you think any of those 4 come close to South Range last year. We played both Canfield and South Range last year
South Range wins by 14+ if those 2 play
That's probably why Canfield doesn't want to play because their best team still gets beat by their neighbor.
As long as his brother is in Poland he knows that will be a win
So won't even be a rivalry much longer

I don’t know who would theoretically win what, against whom and when…I’m just going to enjoy the state championship this season. I never thought I’d see one at SR in my lifetime despite all our success. Many thanks to the coaches, players and supporters who made it happen.
If only the Browns could do the same before I pass on ;-)

@sbfan10 The thing you are completely missing is that Canfield was lost for most of the year on both sides of the ball, and played much worse in the regular season than in the playoffs. Canfield early in the season loses to South Range most likely as you say, and you are basing it off of how Canfield played Poland which was much different than how they played Chardon, Holy Name, Ursuline, Aurora, etc. If Canfield played like they did against Poland, South Range would win, but if Canfield played like they did in the playoffs, Canfield would win. Some teams are consistent throughout the year, whether that is consistently good or bad, Canfield started out the season not playing well and figured things out just in time for the playoffs. Also in the playoffs they were more willing to take some risks with running Lowry than in the regular season when they tried to protect him and keep him healthy. Note how it worked out for West Branch after DeShields got injured...

Just curious, if Lakeview and Niles would leave the NE8 would the 5 remaining schools be open to adding Canfield, Louisville and Howland?

Just curious, if Lakeview and Niles would leave the NE8 would the 5 remaining schools be open to adding Canfield, Louisville and Howland?
No, and Niles wouldn’t leave. Only team I could see ever joining would be Howland and that’s not really realistic either, with most schools on the verge of D5

The Youngstown-Warren area isn't the only area with declining population and/or enrollment, there are many areas around the state where this is the case and because of that, most schools in the NE8 are not as likely to drop down to D-V because everything is relative to the rest of the state and only the Columbus area and a few other areas are gaining enrollment or holding steady, while the rest of the state is in a similar decline.

I think Hubbard would be all in with those 3 teams, they already have Howland on their schedule long term from what I hear. The Hubbard AD would welcome Canfield and Louisville with open arms as would the Hubbard faithful as well. I for one would like to see it happen but I don't know how the other NE8 teams would feel about it.

I understand that MANY on here have long standing grudges, but now, according to the rumor mills we have a running back possibly transferring between NE8 schools & and a PA. quarterback moving to an Ohio public. Apparently neither is considering certain local privates. I would submit that a school we're all aware of in uptown Youngstown, has lost it's ability to attract exceptional local talent. So put an end to their "no body will play us" lament, their "home field" at Mineral Ridge fits well for league schools travel, and appreciate the fact that after years of local dominance you'll get an opportunity to compete with them on a level playing field each year. Get over it and invite Mooney to the NE8, heck, think of the pleasure you'll experience as they tie themselves in knots coming up with reasons to decline.