Canfield Cardinals Schedule and Outlook for 2023

Both coaches diplomatically downplayed the fact that scheduled series was sprung upon them. Who actually sent the contract and who signed it? The world wonders,…

Provide your sources. Not what Jimmy and Joe say at the blue wolf

Beyond the fact that Yeagley states that neither coach knew anything about this, both coaches continue to work behind the scenes to negate this two-year contract. There is a better than decent chance this game doesn't get played.

Why would SR want to back out? They have nothing to lose literally as far as I can tell. Canfield is a different story on the other hand, I can see them not wanting to play for one reason ot another.

@Redzone Blitz

Seeding and bracketing to avoid an early matchup with Chardon or another top team. Had Canfield played Chardon week 11, they would have probably lost to be perfectly honest.

@Buckeye Elite If given the option of facing the #15 or #16 team in the first round or the #1 or #2 seed in the first round without knowing the teams, which would you pick? And to say you wouldn't care or it doesn't matter, well that couldn't be further from the truth. I am not saying that the reason you cited is not also a major consideration, but this is another legitimate consideration.

@Buckeye Elite If given the option of facing the #15 or #16 team in the first round or the #1 or #2 seed in the first round without knowing the teams, which would you pick? And to say you wouldn't care or it doesn't matter, well that couldn't be further from the truth. I am not saying that the reason you cited is not also a major consideration, but this is another legitimate consideration.
Losing one game isn’t gonna take you from changing your seed that drastically. Especially if you schedule that game instead of scheduling a team like east that will give you no points to begin with

A loss gives you zero computer points regardless of who it was against. It doesn't hurt or help you because of their division if you lose to them. On the other hand, beating South Range will give you many more points than when you have beaten East and Howland in recent years because they don't win games.

@Redzone Blitz
Which would you rather have a guaranteed win against a 7-3 D-III or D-IV team or a 50/50 game against a 9-1 South Range?
Granted Howland is just there because we are in the same boat, and East isn't on the schedule this year.

A loss gives you zero computer points regardless of who it was against. It doesn't hurt or help you because of their division if you lose to them. On the other hand, beating South Range will give you many more points than when you have beaten East and Howland in recent years because they don't win games.
Probably give you more then both of those schools combined honestly

@Redzone Blitz
Which would you rather have a guaranteed win against a 7-3 D-III or D-IV team or a 50/50 game against a 9-1 South Range?
Granted Howland is just there because we are in the same boat, and East isn't on the schedule this year.

50/50 game vs 9-1 South Range. Canfield makes the playoffs and has a high seed comfortably most years. Adding a potential loss to the schedule won't dramatically change that.

The main thing that doesn’t make sense is SR will still be pretty good because of where they are as a program, but Canfield being worried about SR should worry Canfield fans as to what they expect going forward. SR just had a generational team and played tremendous for 3 years straight, there will be a drop off that’s normal, they will not do what they did this year next year no matter how many people think they will. This is a blow to Canfield and the biggest compliment to SR if this game were to get cancelled

Who exactly from the two schools actually agreed to play the series / signed the contracts? No one seems to wish to identify them.

People can blame whoever why some people do or don't want this game. That said this upcoming season Canfield will be pretty good, I'm not sure how SR will be but I'm guessing they'll be competitive. 2024 will be a definite rebuild in cardinal country, as the upcoming senior class has some very good players and is a decent size class. However the upcoming soph & junior are both pretty small, both have some good players but not a lot of depth. After that Canfield should be right back to where they've been the past few yrs as the current junior high is loaded. If Canfield & South Range junior high played last year Canfield would've had running clock by half in both 7th & 8th grade.

I assume SR will be solid, but not great. Springfield, Canfield, JFK and then Louisville for Jefferson -- that's a really aggressive OoC schedule for a D5 team. They could be solid and still finish 5-5 or 6-4. I know they like their Junior and Soph classes, but woof...that's brutal.

From my friend who is a parent at South Range. There is only 1 PERSON who does not want to play this game. That person is from Canfield
South Range kids are getting ready for a brutal 3 weeks to start year.
Springfield, Canfield, JFK
Springfield isn’t gonna be any good

Springfield will be South Range 3rd or4th best on schedule.
1 Struthers 2 Canfield 3/4 JFK or Springfield
NE8 maybe a little down
Dfox I don't think Struthers has lost a jr.high game in 6 years but that doesn't mean crap at varsity

NE8 maybe a little down
Dfox I don't think Struthers has lost a jr.high game in 6 years but that doesn't mean crap at varsity
The last two seasons they haven’t been as good but still good for that level. The current incoming seniors and juniors were unbeaten. We will see How they are this year.

It’s SR’s oldest rival. It’s always a physical game.
It hasn’t been close and will continue to be. Springfield is not going to be glad they’re in the conference they are in for the next couple years. The other games are tough of course but lumping Springfield into a tough schedule is a stretch them being D7. JFK is a way better game obviously

NE8 maybe a little down
This year is the year where the middle school started to be really good they’re gonna be seniors this year. The simple minded Struthers people lump them all together. Last years seniors went 4-4 their 8th grade year I believe. Girard will be very tough this season if they can stay healthy, Hubbard should be better, Poland can’t be much worse, lakeview should move conferences, and Niles will be what they normally are if that RB stays in Niles