2022 Cleveland Browns Thread

All the while, Al Lerner takes Art to Baltimore, on his private plane, to finalize the damn deal, then swoops in to get the Cleveland expansion franchise. You just can't make this **** up.
Yes! I never understood why Lerner not only got a free pass for brokering the deal for Art with Baltimore, but then gets treated as a hero for bringing in this garbage faux Browns expansion franchise that’s brought nothing but misery to its fans.

Its tough...I am cle born raised and current...but my word, it is tough to not become a Bills fan after what we have gone thru. I was raised to never do it....but it is getting really tough. Would be nice to ever be able to watch a good team that you support on Sundays

Its tough...I am cle born raised and current...but my word, it is tough to not become a Bills fan after what we have gone thru. I was raised to never do it....but it is getting really tough. Would be nice to ever be able to watch a good team that you support on Sundays
My first favorite team was the Vikings, and then I eventually added the hometown Browns, so I’ve always had another team to shoulder the load…but the Vikings, though they have certainly had more winning and great moments than the expansion Browns…have not won a Super Bowl and haven’t appeared in one since the nation’s Bicentennial.

What’s really sad is what could’ve been. You look at how the Ravens franchise evolved into not just a winning culture, but a team with a well known identity of being brutally physical. The fans in this area would have eaten it up. Imagine if all those unbelievably physical and consequential Ravens vs Steelers battles over the last couple decades would have been Browns vs Steelers? My gosh, Art Modell cheated us out of so much. I hope he’s rotting in Hell with Al Lerner.

“I honestly just think it’s just keeping things more vanilla,” Greg Newsome II said. “When you got the talent that we have on the defense, just calling base stuff, just allow us to go out there, keep our eyes on the quarterback and just play ball. So I feel like Joe did a great job in the second half of the year with just realizing ‘You know what, alright, maybe we don’t need to call everything, let’s just shorten the menu down and just let those guys go out there and play.’ And I think when we did that you can kind of see how the take over started.”

From si.com:

Interesting to see the first three names that Kevin Stefanski tapped for defensive-coordinator interviews—Mayo, Flores and Titans senior defensive assistant Jim Schwartz—in Cleveland were all Bill Belichick-raised coaches. Schwartz crossed over with Browns GM Andrew Berry in Philadelphia, too, and has been the name most bandied about. But I wouldn’t rule out the other two. Flores might even be the clubhouse favorite.
As for Mayo, my understanding is he’s very open to taking a coordinator job elsewhere after four years as a defensive assistant in New England. Mayo handles a fair amount of coordinator duties for the Patriots, helping in game-planning and running defensive meetings, but the chance to be a primary play-caller and standalone coordinator elsewhere would help him stand out in the ever-growing list of solid defense-first head coaching candidates over the next few years.
One thing that would help a team land Mayo to be a DC would be geography—I think he’d like to stay in commuting distance from New England, so he wouldn’t have to move his family twice to become a head coach. And he does have the flexibility that Ryans does to be choosy, as strong as his reputation is across the NFL.

What’s really sad is what could’ve been. You look at how the Ravens franchise evolved into not just a winning culture, but a team with a well known identity of being brutally physical. The fans in this area would have eaten it up. Imagine if all those unbelievably physical and consequential Ravens vs Steelers battles over the last couple decades would have been Browns vs Steelers? My gosh, Art Modell cheated us out of so much. I hope he’s rotting in Hell with Al Lerner.
You need mental help 😂

I recall back in 1995 the Glazers looked into moving the Buccaneers to Cleveland…playing home games in Columbus until the new stadium was built in CLE. Of course Tampa finally gave in and built a new stadium to keep the Bucs.

What might have been? Since 1995 the Bucs made the playoffs 10 times, won six division titles, two conference championships and two Super Bowls.

Got the worse end of that too.
Interesting, I hadn't heard that story

And when adversity hit, the Browns were missing leaders on the roster who could grab teammates by the scruff of the neck and pull them out of it.

Chief Strategy Officer Paul DePodesta and General Manager Andrew Berry have not prioritized locker-room dynamics enough. Among the most damning pieces of evidence are their decisions to cut fiery veteran leaders like wide receiver Jarvis Landry and defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson in each of the past two offseasons.

Well, the results and outcomes haven't been good, and a chief reason the Browns need a more diverse mix of leadership styles in the locker room is Stefanski's low-key personality. A coach with Stefanski's demeanor can succeed in the NFL, but football is an emotional game fueled by passion.

If those solutions don't come to fruition and spark a turnaround, Stefanski, DePodesta and Berry will find their job security further waning a year from now, if not sooner.

Let’s see…fired Paul Brown, Marty Schottenheimer, Bill Belichick and Forrest Gregg (who took the Bengals to the Super Bowl a few years later)…wouldn’t sign Jim Brown…traded Paul Warfield…moved a successful NFL franchise because he couldn’t manage his own finances. That’s enough. No Hall of Fame for Art Modell…ever.

• Love
Reactions: y2h
I actually heard that today. I believe it's 30 years.

Remember when we were fed that pile of **** that Jimmy had been a minority owner in the Steelers and had learned the lessons of how to lead a successful franchise?

I was at the last two home games of the 1995 Browns, a loss to the Steelers and a win vs the Bengals. The mood around the stadium was like a funeral. Browns & Steeler fans hated Model more than one another. Unforgivable what Model did to the city not once (firing Paul Brown) but twice (moving the team to Baltimore). At least he did leave the team name.

Since their return to the NFL in 1999 the Browns:
* Record 127-258-1, 33.03%
* 2 playoff appearances in 2002 & 2020, 1-2 record
* 21 losing seasons
* 3 winning seasons: 2002, 2007 & 2020
* 10-39-1 vs the Steelers since 1999, 62-80-1 all time

In the AFC North/Central the Browns have:
* 16 times finished 4th
* 6 times finished 3rd
* 2 times finished 2nd
* 0 times finished 1st

Last Divisional Championship was 1989. The last time the Browns finished ahead of the Steelers in the AFC North/Central...1989. Yes, 30 consecutive seasons over 33 years of finishing behind the Steelers in the division. The Browns last won the NFL Championship in 1964.

Why has Mike Priefer not been fired yet? 32nd ranked special teams unit two years running and it's by a large margin. Reflects very poorly on an increasingly unlikeable Stefanski on a team with a very unlikeable QB. And owners. And beat reporters. And really anyone but Jim Donovan.

10-39-1 vs the Steelers since 1999, 62-80-1 all time
I remember frequenting a Browns Message Board in the early-mid 90s. The tag line from many Browns fans on the debate board was “well we have a better overall record v the Steelers”…built on their domination in the 50s-60s. Things certainly changed.

10-39-1 vs the Steelers since 1999, 62-80-1 all time
I remember frequenting a Browns Message Board in the early-mid 90s. The tag line from many Browns fans on the debate board was “well we have a better overall record v the Steelers”…built on their domination in the 50s-60s. Things certainly changed.
Muck Fodell

Reactions: y2h
Pro Football Focus rankings for Browns' defense:

Defensive: 61.3 (25th out of 32)

Run Defense: 39.8 (29th)

Tackling: 40.6 (29th)

Pass Rushing: 75.4 (9th)

Coverage: 73.0 (17th)

Individual grades on season:
DEFENSIVE END
Myles Garrett: 92.6
Jadeveon Clowney: 75.8
Chase Winovich: 61.1
Isaiah Thomas: 51.0
Alex Wright: 38.4

DEFENSIVE TACKLE
Taven Bryan: 60.0
Perrion Winfrey: 41.6
Jordan Elliott: 40.6
Tommy Togiai: 38.8

LINEBACKER
Anthony Walker: 82.7
Sione Takitaki: 67.7
Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah: 64.3
Jordan Kunaszyk: 52.4
Tony Fields II: 49.1
Deion Jones: 48.7
Jacob Phillips: 36.7

CORNERBACK
Martin Emerson: 72.5
Greg Newsome II: 69.1
Denzel Ward: 56.8
A.J. Green: 43.6

SAFETY
Grant Delpit: 63.6
John Johnson III: 62.8
D’Anthony Bell: 48.0
Ronnie Harrison: 46.0

The Browns cannot hire someone who will need on the job training on how to be a d coordinator. Those days have to be over.