2023 Massillon Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be mistaken but I think those are small schools in Kentucky
Louisville Male is in the largest classification in Kentucky. Mayfield is in the 2nd smallest classification. Both schools lost in their state championship games, respectively this season.

Last edited:
Just curious. Has Massillon ever tried to get a Florida or Georgia team on its schedule? And would Massillon be willing to make a contractual return trip?
Massillon played a home game against team from Miami Fl. back in the 90s. You have to have special permission from the OHSAA to travel to a non bordering state.

Anyone but MSML....
Worry Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

@Rich Kotite
Bloom-Carroll wasn't even the 2nd best team in D-III last year, they were probably only like 5th at best. Most of the best teams again were in region 9.

Not the out of state team coming to Massillon that week.

check that.. Middletown is also open 9/22 and could make a move to be open 9/29 and Massillon is considering either of those two weeks for Middletown. I think Middletown would really like to come up again but I guess it is up to Mass brass

Yeah, I'm kinda hoping we're playing Valdosta in the event at PBTS. As far as playing a bunch of outta state teams on a regular basis, I'd rather play some schools we either haven't played in a while or some new schools. Would love to play Glenville, let's get Hoban signed to a home and home, get Iggy back, get something worked out with Uniontown Lake, Avon, Avon Lake....etc....

Just 1, or 2 tops. An out of stater with name recognition adds interest. Becomes more of state pride thing instead of the usual town pride.
Hate to say it. I almost think it is to avoid road games. Let's take the show to them. If it just about the game. I truly do not think any other Ohio team cares. It will be talked about Massillon playing some NY team. That means nothing to the rival of both teams. Fill in

Yeah, I'm kinda hoping we're playing Valdosta in the event at PBTS. As far as playing a bunch of outta state teams on a regular basis, I'd rather play some schools we either haven't played in a while or some new schools. Would love to play Glenville, let's get Hoban signed to a home and home, get Iggy back, get something worked out with Uniontown Lake, Avon, Avon Lake....etc....
Exactly. That one out of state game. Is where we open up the play book.

1. "Marietta (Ga.) Wheeler won the 2002 Arby’s Classic in Bristol, Tenn., defeating Mansfield Senior, 68-51."

Anything having to do with Arby's had to be top of the line. That tournament clearly had the meats at the concession stand.

2. "@Rich Kotite Bloom-Carroll wasn't even the 2nd best team in D-III last year, they were probably only like 5th at best. Most of the best teams again were in region 9."

Bloom Carroll lost in the 2022 state title game of D3. Thus, state runner up. I am not debating who is better.

3. "check that.. Middletown is also open 9/22 and could make a move to be open 9/29 and Massillon is considering either of those two weeks for Middletown. I think Middletown would really like to come up again but I guess it is up to Mass brass."

Middletown Middies - bring 'em back for a game. They were 3-8 last year with wins over Loveland, Sycamore, and Colerain. All three of those teams were under .500. But it's better than an 8-man nerf football game vs Toledo Cardinal Stritch in someone's backyard.

4. "get something worked out with Uniontown Lake."

In theory, yes, but the Federalists have negotiators worse than my ex-wife's divorce attorney.

Hate to say it. I almost think it is to avoid road games. Let's take the show to them. If it just about the game. I truly do not think any other Ohio team cares. It will be talked about Massillon playing some NY team. That means nothing to the rival of both teams. Fill in
It’s next to impossible to find Ohio teams that want to play for the open weeks we have.

I know that many fans have specific teams they would like the Tigers to play. Unfortunately, most schools are in conferences so their schedule options are limited. Plus these options, for the most part, are in games 4-10. That limits who the Tigers can schedule. In addition, some schools will not play MWHS. Why?🤔

It’s next to impossible to find Ohio teams that want to play for the open weeks we have.
Should be considered a privilege to have Massillon on the schedule.
Massillon is a good test. Massillon will bring a good size crowd.
How do I know it is not Massillon.
Not wanting to sign road&road.
That teams will not play Massillon

Should be considered a privilege to have Massillon on the schedule.
Massillon is a good test. Massillon will bring a good size crowd.
How do I know it is not Massillon.
Not wanting to sign road&road.
That teams will not play Massillon
Send that out to all of the AD’s of D1 and D2 schools in Ohio.
Massillon has offered many many teams, especially local, a home and home and got turned down time and time again. It’s laughable now because you can make the playoffs with a 5-5 or worse record, so why not test your team against the better teams in the State.

I know that many fans have specific teams they would like the Tigers to play. Unfortunately, most schools are in conferences so their schedule options are limited. Plus these options, for the most part, are in games 4-10. That limits who the Tigers can schedule. In addition, some schools will not play MWHS. Why?🤔

For schools not playing Massillon, I've wondered why Boardman never did except for one playoff game. That struck me as kinda odd. Boardman is down now but has had some strong teams over the years. Boardman just seemed to have a lot of the "right fit." Mahoning Valley school (that part of the state definitely knows Massillon), large enough enrollment, winning team most years, not too far away, decent stadium.

Last edited:
Scheduling is a very difficult task. Look at McKinley. This past season the Bulldogs had 4 home games and 6 away games.

Last edited:
For schools not playing Massillon, I've wondered why Boardman never did except for one playoff game. That struck me as kinda odd. Boardman is down now but has had some strong teams over the years. Boardman just seemed to have a lot of the "right fit." Mahoning Valley school (that part of the state definitely knows Massillon), large enough enrollment, winning team most years, not too far away, decent stadium.
I believe the 2 schools have talked in the past.

The other thing we may not be realizing is some of these Ohio industrial cities have seen a drop-off in their schools over the last 20 years.

Lima was all the rage in 1996.
Marion Harding was all the rage around the year 2000.
Fremont Ross and Sandusky. I barely hear about them anymore.

Warren is in trouble, too. They need a really, really good coach to turn that around.

The other thing we may not be realizing is some of these Ohio industrial cities have seen a drop-off in their schools over the last 20 years.

Lima was all the rage in 1996.
Marion Harding was all the rage around the year 2000.
Fremont Ross and Sandusky. I barely hear about them anymore.

Warren is in trouble, too. They need a really, really good coach to turn that around.
I feel this ⬆️ needs a thread, it is really interesting how some of these schools football programs have fallen completely apart and are a shell of what they once were. I believe it’s a combination of families not staying there or moving there and kids just not wanting to spend so much of their time in extracurriculars. Although I can say for Warren, since the Tigers have played them a lot, that it’s definitely coaching because the talent is absolutely there. So possibly it is as well at Lima, Sandusky etc.

I feel this ⬆️ needs a thread, it is really interesting how some of these schools football programs have fallen completely apart and are a shell of what they once were. I believe it’s a combination of families not staying there or moving there and kids just not wanting to spend so much of their time in extracurriculars. Although I can say for Warren, since the Tigers have played them a lot, that it’s definitely coaching because the talent is absolutely there. So possibly it is as well at Lima, Sandusky etc.
This really speaks well for Coach Bradley at Mansfield and what he's done, Reno in Steubenville, Coach Gatto at Barberton (he turned around a magical dumpster fire and brought winning football back to The Magic City), and how Massillon keeps rolling at such a very high level.

Leonard Rush at Lima had a "way" with Lima kids that worked; Tim Hinton at Marion was an accomplished coach who found his way to Ohio State University; Fremont and Sandusky seem lost as does Elyria, Lorain, and Warren if they don't get their coaching together.

The other part of it for some other familiar "industrial town" programs like Alliance: they can't keep a coach more than 3-4 years, same with Niles. If they had the right coach, even though their enrollment has dropped, there's no reason why they can't win playing smaller schools in smaller leagues. Phil Annarella won at Niles and so did Joel Cockley at Alliance. Those coaches had the ability to tap into what historically made them strong.

Canton McK has kept winning but clearly has had more issues than Massillon and, IMO, has bigger problems in the city than just football games. McK playing the Fed has helped them keep some regular season consistency.

But, again, Massillon rolls along like the mighty Tuscarawas River through good times and bad. Some coaches are better than others, some times are better than others, but they keep rolling. It's a neat thing IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.