Bath Seeking New Head Football Coach

there are bath folks saying they have a "successful local coach" on the hook and it's only a matter of time before a hire is announced, similar to the way they hired their basketball coach.

I have heard two names. One is Chris Sommers, who left Spencerville. The other name I will not say, because if he decides to take that job, he deserves to announce that he's leaving his school before his players hear it from some idiot on Yappi.

I have heard two names. One is Chris Sommers, who left Spencerville. The other name I will not say, because if he decides to take that job, he deserves to announce that he's leaving his school before his players hear it from some idiot on Yappi.
If that other coach you heard just played in the state semi's against Marion Local - ain't happening. No way he would touch Bath with a 10 foot pole and if he leaves where he's at it'll probably be to retire

If that other coach you heard just played in the state semi's against Marion Local - ain't happening. No way he would touch Bath with a 10 foot pole and if he leaves where he's at it'll probably be to retire
it is not. More successful than that.

To each their own, but I can't see why a more successful coach would want anything to do with the Bath job right now. It may be Sommers but I doubt it, if it's not then I'd bet on it being a younger coach moving up in the ranks
agreed, but that's what the rumor is and there seems to be some bit of truth. from what I have heard, Sommers isn't in play to go to Bath as much as he's the choice to replace the person who goes to bath.

agreed, but that's what the rumor is and there seems to be some bit of truth. from what I have heard, Sommers isn't in play to go to Bath as much as he's the choice to replace the person who goes to bath.
Are you sure? Because I think you were saying that Ada was going to leave the NWC last fall.....

there are bath folks saying they have a "successful local coach" on the hook and it's only a matter of time before a hire is announced, similar to the way they hired their basketball coach.

i'm sure it was discussed back then but why did Jefferson grad Sommers leave Del Jefferson for Spencerville?

None of these will happen. Those two aren't that dumb. I won't knock either of these guys, but they ain't winning at a very high clip at Bath as long as Bath plays WBL schools. I would assume there is a reason Bath has the least league wins since 2000. Is it true they were canceling reserve games? Not enough numbers for 2 MS teams?

Sommers can't handle a talent dip at Spencerville just like leaving DJ? I would guess somewhere close to route 66 still.

67 seems to know much more than I. I'm skeptical about a Putnam County coach being interested in the Bath job let alone "someone more successful". Is Bath offering duffle bags full of cash and a new car? Lol. I can't think of a single reason why a "successful coach" would take a job with so many obstacles to being successful in the eyes of the general public. Who is the "more successful" coach being interested in that job? I still think that job goes to a younger coach either with no HC experience or HC at a smaller school who has a big enough ego to think they are the answer at Bath.

67 seems to know much more than I. I'm skeptical about a Putnam County coach being interested in the Bath job let alone "someone more successful". Is Bath offering duffle bags full of cash and a new car? Lol. I can't think of a single reason why a "successful coach" would take a job with so many obstacles to being successful in the eyes of the general public. Who is the "more successful" coach being interested in that job? I still think that job goes to a younger coach either with no HC experience or HC at a smaller school who has a big enough ego to think they are the answer at Bath.
Yeah, I'm calling BS on that. No one "more successful" than Schafer is looking to move schools at all, let alone downgrade to a school that's been at the bottom of their league for almost 20 years with no extra incentive.

I never said it was a Putnam County coach. @BirdDog10 said if I thought it was Schaffer, he ain't it. I don't think it's Schaffer. The coach rumored to Bath, with Sommers replacing the departing coach, is infinitely more successful than Schaffer. I am still skeptical that this coach is taking the job, because there have been flirtations with other jobs in the past that haven't materialized, but there is some smoke with this fire.

None of these will happen. Those two aren't that dumb. I won't knock either of these guys, but they ain't winning at a very high clip at Bath as long as Bath plays WBL schools. I would assume there is a reason Bath has the least league wins since 2000. Is it true they were canceling reserve games? Not enough numbers for 2 MS teams?
It's not like the WBL is a powerhouse in football. There is a big drop off after the top 4, perennial power Wapak, VW will be hard pressed to find another stud QB, St. Marys is not SM's of old. and OG is good. After those 4 schools not a whole lot, the right coach Bath could be a top 5 WBL school in football

Infinitely more successful local coach than Schaffer? Really? That is a very small list and anyone on it isn't going to Bath. Coaches do like to have their ego stroked though so I could see someone listening and blabbing about it. No way they would take it. Who are the people you consider infinitely more successful than Shaffer? Jerry Cooper has won a state title and coached at Bath in a completely different era. Doubt he would return to Bath let a lone make Bath a top half of WBL football program. Scott Palte? I don't consider him infinitely more successful than Andy. New Bremen, HC is the only other logical guess. 2 state titles. I could see him leaving NB if the talent well dried up, but Bath wouldn't be where he would land his airplane.

Infinitely more successful local coach than Schaffer? Really? That is a very small list and anyone on it isn't going to Bath. Coaches do like to have their ego stroked though so I could see someone listening and blabbing about it. No way they would take it. Who are the people you consider infinitely more successful than Shaffer? Jerry Cooper has won a state title and coached at Bath in a completely different era. Doubt he would return to Bath let a lone make Bath a top half of WBL football program. Scott Palte? I don't consider him infinitely more successful than Andy. New Bremen, HC is the only other logical guess. 2 state titles. I could see him leaving NB if the talent well dried up, but Bath wouldn't be where he would land his airplane.
That would be my guess but just that a guess. Be easier to finish in top 3 in WBL at Bath than MAC with Marion Local, Coldwater, and Versailles. Don't know if the pay would be significantly better?

That would be my guess but just that a guess. Be easier to finish in top 3 in WBL at Bath than MAC with Marion Local, Coldwater, and Versailles. Don't know if the pay would be significantly better?
I really doubt it. Most HC's in the area make close enough to each other that the pay is never really a consideration when they jump schools

I find it interesting that so many people think ultra-successful coaches wouldn’t be up for a challenge. Tim Goodwin, Brent Niekamp, Nate Moore, and Chris Schmidt all took over MAC programs at varying levels of moribundity and faced with various hurdles and turned them around. Those guys weren’t thought of as great coaches at that time - imagine what a proven winner could do at Bath if they believe it could be done?

Good points. However, not really what's being said on here. No one is arguing an unproven coach can't become successful at a school that hasn't been good. The argument is only being made that someone with an already ultra successful resume isn't taking a job like a Bath. Not saying it's impossible...just not probable. It's most likely going to be someone unproven and they just may add their name to the likes of those mentioned by making Bath ultra successful in football. No doubt it would be good for the WBL.

The boys basketball coach they hired had just won a state championship and had two of its top three players returning. To pretend as if it's out of left field for a smaller division coach to want to move to a larger division with in a larger city after a successful run elsewhere isn't out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
I agree with you. I'm simply saying it isn't likely to happen at Bath. It's definitely possible though. Most other league schools are more attractive. Makes more sense to be patient and take a better job. We'll see what happens with this opening.

The boys basketball coach they hired had just won a state championship and had two of its top three players returning. To pretend as if it's out of left field for a smaller division coach to want to move to a larger division with in a larger city after a successful run elsewhere isn't out of the ordinary.
That boys basketball coach is also a Lima guy and Bath boys basketball has been much more successful than football in the last 20 years

Not going very well either.

One big thing (not the only) but definitely up there for someone with a good resume from a smaller school to take a job like Bath is whether or not there is known talent coming up in the program. I don't know the answer to that. Would want to know if I have something to work with. Can't make chicken salad out of chicken...well you know.

That had a little freshman RB that, at least against Defiance, looked like he had potential.

But if there's nothing around him it doesn't matter. Kid was like 5'2" and weighed maybe 120 soaking wet.