D IV State Semi-Final: Jefferson Area (11-3) vs Glenville (13-0) @ Perry Perry. “Hoosiers”. In real life.

Who wins?

• Glenville by 17+

Votes: 89 74.2%
  • Glenville by 8-16

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Glenville by 1-7

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Jefferson Area by 1-7

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Jefferson Area by 8-16

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Jefferson Area by 17+

Votes: 6 5.0%

• Total voters
Glenville may win the whole thing.

But Steubenville and or Wyoming are good enough to upset them.

Getting into films, I easily can see Steubenville beating Wyoming and it not be an upset. I can see Steubenville having 12-15 penalties and costing them against Wyoming.

Who plays there best game will meet Glenville Saturday Night Dec 3rd 7:30pm for all the marbles.

Glenville may win the whole thing.

But Steubenville and or Wyoming are good enough to upset them.

Getting into films, I easily can see Steubenville beating Wyoming and it not be an upset. I can see Steubenville having 12-15 penalties and costing them against Wyoming.

Who plays there best game will meet Glenville Saturday Night Dec 3rd 7:30pm for all the marbles.
I don't get this regular mentioning of Steubenville getting/having so many penalties-- as, at the same time, people keep trying to say how great their coach/coaching is-- which is it?

You could start training a kicker, as a freshman, the day he arrives at your school-- and have at least a serviceable kicker, by the time that kid is a junior-- you just have to devote resources to it... Gerry Faust did that with Moeller (back in the 1960's-- when MOST teams still featured an erratic, straight-on toe-kicker, with a square-toed kicking shoe-- like George Blanda)-- and it was an immediate advantage for Moeller in those days-- and all Moeller had to do to get it was-- PUT SOME COACH IN CHARGE OF DEVELOPING A KICKER!!! Ginn/Glenville's failure to do that, at ANY time in the last ~25 years is an indictment of his coaching competency... you don't NEED a soccer team, to develop a good soccer-style football placekicker!
Oh sure. Because it worked at Moeller there’s no reason to think it won’t work at Glenville…:rolleyes:

I don't get this regular mentioning of Steubenville getting/having so many penalties-- as, at the same time, people keep trying to say how great their coach/coaching is-- which is it?
X's, and O's, and schemes, are still different from penalties

Oh sure. Because it worked at Moeller there’s no reason to think it won’t work at Glenville…:rolleyes:
It's worked other places too-- just citing an example-- there is no reason that Ginn couldn't assign somebody knowledgable about placekicking to train a freshman for two years, to get him ready to kick as a junior-- it's absurd to think that there is some "structural" reason that Glenville can't groom a placekicker.

Unless you see Glenville in person playing on a dry turf field - you cannot fully understand what an equalizer the snow was in the Van Wert game.
It just couldn’t have been Van Wert was decent. Has to be the weather that effects both teams equally.

LOL

Unless you see Glenville in person playing on a dry turf field - you cannot fully understand what an equalizer the snow was in the Van Wert game.
Van Wert played on a dry field? They also threw it 40 times in the snow and had a lot of success.

That’s why I hope it rains Saturday night lol There team speed on a dry field would be hard to account for. Hope Jefferson can put together some 9 minute drives.

It's worked other places too-- just citing an example-- there is no reason that Ginn couldn't assign somebody knowledgable about placekicking to train a freshman for two years, to get him ready to kick as a junior-- it's absurd to think that there is some "structural" reason that Glenville can't groom a placekicker.
Honest question - do you have an example of an inner-city metropolitan school district without soccer that has a football team with a consistent kicking program?

Don't think anyone would argue with how the lack of kicking game has impacted their teams over the years, but to call it an "indictment of his coaching competency" that's a bit extreme.

Honest question - do you have an example of an inner-city metropolitan school district without soccer that has a football team with a consistent kicking program?

Don't think anyone would argue with how the lack of kicking game has impacted their teams over the years, but to call it an "indictment of his coaching competency" that's a bit extreme.
I'm not saying that it would necessarily be "a consistent kicking program"-- but it could be a LOT better than it consistently is/has been-- as noted by another poster, there was a game about ~15 years ago, in Glenville's "hey day", when Glenville actually defeated Ig on a last second FG! That could be more common, if Ginn would put somebody on the task of coaching some kickers to fill that yawning gap in his teams' competency-- but he just doesn't seem like he bothers to do that...

I remember, when Chad "Ochocinco" was still playing for the Bungals, he used to like to mess around with placekicking, before/after practice-- and he actually got good enough at it (and he kicked "soccer-style") that I think he once was sent into a game to attempt a placekick (can't remember whether it was a kickoff or FG/PAT), when the Bungals regular kicker got injured during the game... If Ginn/Glenville REALLY wanted to improve this shortcoming of their team, they could do so with only modest effort.

It just couldn’t have been Van Wert was decent. Has to be the weather that effects both teams equally.

LOL
It does not effect both teams equally - not even close. The weather strips Glenville of their biggest advantage - Speed. When both teams are slipping around they become a lot closer in speed. Van Wert did pass - in poor weather (NFL and College as well) the offense has the advantage because they know where they are going and the defense needs to react. I can damn well guarantee if Glenville was able to break on the ball like normal the passing would not have been as good. Van Wert had the perfect storm on Saturday - poor weather and 5 turnovers. They still gave up 40+. That begs to question - How many points would the Tarblooders have scored if they were able to run and secure the ball. Let's test my theory on Saturday. Conditions are expected to be much better.

It does not effect both teams equally - not even close. The weather strips Glenville of their biggest advantage - Speed. When both teams are slipping around they become a lot closer in speed. Van Wert did pass - in poor weather (NFL and College as well) the offense has the advantage because they know where they are going and the defense needs to react. I can damn well guarantee if Glenville was able to break on the ball like normal the passing would not have been as good. Van Wert had the perfect storm on Saturday - poor weather and 5 turnovers. They still gave up 40+. That begs to question - How many points would the Tarblooders have scored if they were able to run and secure the ball. Let's test my theory on Saturday. Conditions are expected to be much better.
It’s the one thing you can’t teach or prepare for -speed. And you’re right , the only thing that can neutralize speed is weather and field conditions.

Gotta say. Best playoff sign I’ve seen

Attachments

• 6A8C4945-2CC6-4B6F-A82D-C510D8B043A1.jpeg
    6A8C4945-2CC6-4B6F-A82D-C510D8B043A1.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 19
Jefferson is on a magical run and have a lot to be proud of. THEY DESERVE TO BE IN THE STATE SEMIS!. Hitchcock was incredible in that game and has been during the entire playoffs. They had a great game plan and their defense did just enough to limit WBs great QB. However, we all have to remember that WB did score 6 times, their sophomore running had 22 carries for 240 yards. they still had around 180 yard passing and 470 yards of total offense to Jefferson's 350. Glenville is a different animal than WB and those stats would cause me great concern if I were a Jefferson fan. Again, Jefferson deserves to be here - nothing be respect for them but their magical run will likely come to crashing halt. Jefferson exploited WBs defensive weakness, Glenville doesn't have that weakness. Good luck and good health to both team but i expect a running clock in this one.

Jefferson is on a magical run and have a lot to be proud of. THEY DESERVE TO BE IN THE STATE SEMIS!. Hitchcock was incredible in that game and has been during the entire playoffs. They had a great game plan and their defense did just enough to limit WBs great QB. However, we all have to remember that WB did score 6 times, their sophomore running had 22 carries for 240 yards. they still had around 180 yard passing and 470 yards of total offense to Jefferson's 350. Glenville is a different animal than WB and those stats would cause me great concern if I were a Jefferson fan. Again, Jefferson deserves to be here - nothing be respect for them but their magical run will likely come to crashing halt. Jefferson exploited WBs defensive weakness, Glenville doesn't have that weakness. Good luck and good health to both team but i expect a running clock in this one.
Yeah this is a different level of talent, especially if it’s on a dry field. Have to hope to sustain some long drives and shorten the game. It’s been a great ride, but even though we beat wb in a very good game, think wb’s ability to score through the air might have given them a shot at trying to out score them. Now if it’s pouring rain who knows what could happen with some turnovers like glenville did last week.

Yeah this is a different level of talent, especially if it’s on a dry field. Have to hope to sustain some long drives and shorten the game. It’s been a great ride, but even though we beat wb in a very good game, think wb’s ability to score through the air might have given them a shot at trying to out score them. Now if it’s pouring rain who knows what could happen with some turnovers like glenville did last week.
Never say never!! Jefferson deserves to be there. Hitchcock is a stud. Regardless of what happens this team has a lot to be proud of and I assume Hanna, Hitchcock and the gang are playing to win not just to be proud! I would probably pick Glenville by 3-4 scores over WB too. They are an extremely good team with great athletes. Have a great time Saturday night. My school made nice run in 2011 but only has 3 wins in the last 8 years so don't take it for granted..

I think this is undoubtedly a win-win for Jefferson. If they win, obviously it's ridiculous and the whole state will take notice. If they lose, it still builds the culture up and they'll one day be able to tell their kids about playing Glenville with all those great athletes. This playoff run should be a huge boost to their future football program. Remember falcons, just say "No" to drugs and soccer.

Never say never!! Jefferson deserves to be there. Hitchcock is a stud. Regardless of what happens this team has a lot to be proud of and I assume Hanna, Hitchcock and the gang are playing to win not just to be proud! I would probably pick Glenville by 3-4 scores over WB too. They are an extremely good team with great athletes. Have a great time Saturday night. My school made nice run in 2011 but only has 3 wins in the last 8 years so don't take it for granted..
No doubt they are going to lay it all out there Saturday night. They’ve won 6 straight after getting handled by south range and struthers, and it looked like a typical Jefferson year with Poland still on the schedule. I give credit to these boys for rebounding from those 2 blowouts and going on this run. Have to believe they are going to throw a lot versus glenville, otherwise Hitchcock might take a real beating trying to run all night.

I think this is undoubtedly a win-win for Jefferson. If they win, obviously it's ridiculous and the whole state will take notice. If they lose, it still builds the culture up and they'll one day be able to tell their kids about playing Glenville with all those great athletes. This playoff run should be a huge boost to their future football program. Remember falcons, just say "No" to drugs and soccer.
The last sentence may have been the best I have ever seen on the yappi football forum, lol!!!

I think there was still about 2:30 left when they went for two. That's what made it odd to me. It wasn't like "we get this and it's over." Glenville could have definitely scored if they did get it.

That said, the play worked. Kid dropped it. Feel terrible for him.
How did glenville put another TD on the board after the missed 2 pointer?