W.O.A.C 2022-2023

I'm a BIG fan of the MAC and MAC schools. You'll rarely see me say a bad word word any school in up that way. But why do you think they have so much success? I mean across the board? Because they never leave! I would say 95% of every kids that plays MAC sports parents and parent parents played for a MAC school. Those Catholic areas are a rare bread. I cant think of another area (especially in the south) where small town football is like that. I honestly love it. If I could afford a farm in Mercer county, Id live there.

But as Far as the Ahrens boys, The one that played for Michigan State was way more impressive to me than the one that played at Ohio State. Shardo was also a great player. 2006-07 seems like a lifetime ago lol
Agree, best place to live for a high school sports junkie!

I'm a BIG fan of the MAC and MAC schools. You'll rarely see me say a bad word word any school in up that way. But why do you think they have so much success? I mean across the board? Because they never leave! I would say 95% of every kids that plays MAC sports parents and parent parents played for a MAC school. Those Catholic areas are a rare bread. I cant think of another area (especially in the south) where small town football is like that. I honestly love it. If I could afford a farm in Mercer county, Id live there.

But as Far as the Ahrens boys, The one that played for Michigan State was way more impressive to me than the one that played at Ohio State. Shardo was also a great player. 2006-07 seems like a lifetime ago lol
I come down just the opposite on the Arhens kids. The one who played at Michigan State would not take control of a game the way his little brother would.

Versailles has a good program no doubt but make no mistake they have had some very good players to get them to that point. There’s no doubt a good coach can do more with a good team I won’t say you’re wrong there but a great coach isn’t taking a bad team and making them good maybe better than they were but still not good.
Over what period of time and what constitutes good?

Troy Christian had some very good athletes before Ray Zawadski got there, but winning 4-6 games per year was very much the norm for the school. Taking the same athletes, Zawadski had a very bad first year, only winning 4 games total going 4-17 on the year and 2-10 in the Metro Buckeye Conference. The second year, after installing a program that featured summer basketball league in June (no coach prior had ever done more than open gyms in off season and zero discipline was expected of the players among themselves in the off season. So, with kids holding each other accountable and summer league ball played at Wayne , that same group of kids went 14-7 (11-1) winning the schools first conference title ever in 2011. That turnaround was not all about game prep and X's and O's, but was equally about instilling discipline, work ethic, leadership and buying into a system. Once tha program was built, players who would typically have left the school for better opportunities began to stay and the program continued to build,

Would a bad coach take the same players and win half those games? I seriously doubt it. Is there a limit to what a good coach can accomplish with less than stellar athletes? Absolutely.

I think of Bethel's coach Steve Fisher. He showed up for perhaps the greatest stretch of talent Bethel ever had in 1999 - 2002. He installed his 2-3 zone and they win a state title out of that in 2001. Then following the 2002 season Fisher decides to move on. He goes to Sidney and has great talent in the pipeline, that program never came together. He and I discussed some of the reasons things never came together at Sidney for him, I will just leave it at sometimes there are issues that a good coach can not solve if the athletes do not want to help solve them.

So I will say, some coaches have a personality and drive that extends far beyond the court (Zawadski), and some good game coaches do not (Fisher). But for those program builder type coaches, they really can turn a perineal bad program into a winner, but it will take a year or two.

Preble Shawnee drew Heritage Christian (IN) for the first game of the season at Mason High school. I'm eager for the the Flying to the Hoop schedule release next month

😂 Shawnee has plenty of successful seasons with different HC good and bad. I get sick of the great coach can make bad players good takes on here it’s just not true. It’s the reason Coach Sags is always looking for kids from different schools to invite to “BBQ’s” at his house to “talk some basketball”.
When sags had bad kids he ran away Takes a pair to pour into kids life even if they might win games on the court.

Does that make it 5 or 6 DI offers?cool to have this talent in conference.
Believe that’s 6 but I can tell you there been multiple D1 coaches at Shawnee open gyms everyday so I’m guessing more will follow. It is great for this league to have a player like him league is two years old and we’ve already seen some great players hopefully the WOAC keeps developing players like Sarver Shrout and Davidson.

I got TV, PS, then Bradford.

Shrout will be a handfull but just not enough help to beat out the TV depth. Could PS win sure but I dont think Sags lets one player beat him.
Not sure if it will translate to the regular season but over the summer I know bradford played TV at Versailles and the game was within a score or two. Both schools had full rosters their. With bradford not playing football and bringing back the 6 guys that played every game I agree with them 3 at the top. Does anyone in the league surprise anyone this year? Ansonia? North?

Believe that’s 6 but I can tell you there been multiple D1 coaches at Shawnee open gyms everyday so I’m guessing more will follow. It is great for this league to have a player like him league is two years old and we’ve already seen some great players hopefully the WOAC keeps developing players like Sarver Shrout and Davidson.
We can only hope.

If your basketball first this is where 16 teams in the playoffs hurts. 448 teams make the football playoffs, so most teams not starting this Friday with their whole team.
Yes and no. With the 8 team playoffs, this would be week 10 so everyone would have a football game this week regardless. Did the basketball season start move up a week? If not, the only teams affected would be the ones who are seeded 9-16 and make it past the 1st round of playoffs, which then makes it the same amount as before.

Yes and no. With the 8 team playoffs, this would be week 10 so everyone would have a football game this week regardless. Did the basketball season start move up a week? If not, the only teams affected would be the ones who are seeded 9-16 and make it past the 1st round of playoffs, which then makes it the same amount as before.
Not sure about moving up a week but I think it did. Last year we were playing games right after Thanksgiving in November, usually first game was always first week of Dec.

Not sure if it will translate to the regular season but over the summer I know bradford played TV at Versailles and the game was within a score or two. Both schools had full rosters their. With bradford not playing football and bringing back the 6 guys that played every game I agree with them 3 at the top. Does anyone in the league surprise anyone this year? Ansonia? North?
I don’t think any other team can get into the top 3 but South should be better and FM and Newton should be also. North is far away from having a good basketball team I’d guess them to be the worst in the league this year. NT might be OK Arcanum always plays hard and well coached. MV probably only better than North and Ansonia somewhere between that 4-10 range. My predictions would be.
1.PS
2.TV
3.Bradford
4.South
5.FM
6.Arcanum
7.Newton
8.Ansonia
9.NT
10.MV
11.Dixie
12.North

I don’t think any other team can get into the top 3 but South should be better and FM and Newton should be also. North is far away from having a good basketball team I’d guess them to be the worst in the league this year. NT might be OK Arcanum always plays hard and well coached. MV probably only better than North and Ansonia somewhere between that 4-10 range. My predictions would be.
1.PS
2.TV
3.Bradford
4.South
5.FM
6.Arcanum
7.Newton
8.Ansonia
9.NT
10.MV
11.Dixie
12.North
FM was real bad this summer, if that is their team and they finish fifth, the conference is really bad this year

FM was real bad this summer, if that is their team and they finish fifth, the conference is really bad this year
Maybe they had some kids I didn’t think were seniors that were they weren’t awful last year. Honestly any team in that 4-10 could finish anywhere in that group. But it’s hard to judge off summer because some kids might not have been there.

Maybe they had some kids I didn’t think were seniors that were they weren’t awful last year. Honestly any team in that 4-10 could finish anywhere in that group. But it’s hard to judge off summer because some kids might not have been there.
Top 3 are set in my opinion how it plays out depends on health for each team. TV has the most depth I would say by far.