D5 Region 17

Garaway is up there for sure, and I'm not sure if Mooney is quite a favorite. What I do know about Mooney is that they are probably going to finish 4-6 or 5-5. That means they will be in the lower end of the seeding and some high seeded team will draw them in the first round. And some team seeded just below that high seeded team will draw someone like Champion. Roughly an 80 point difference in team quality.

That's the big regular season mystery for R17. It seems clear that SR will finish 1. Garaway will finish 2 if they beat Ridgewood, and they should. Perry and Norwayne should win out. I'd assume Perry would stay 3 and Norwayne 4.

The other less interesting mystery is where Edison will finish. They should finish 10-0, but they'll end up way over-seeded. It'd be sort of fitting if they played Mooney in the 1st round.

Garaway is up there for sure, and I'm not sure if Mooney is quite a favorite. What I do know about Mooney is that they are probably going to finish 4-6 or 5-5. That means they will be in the lower end of the seeding and some high seeded team will draw them in the first round. And some team seeded just below that high seeded team will draw someone like Champion. Roughly an 80 point difference in team quality.

That's the big regular season mystery for R17. It seems clear that SR will finish 1. Garaway will finish 2 if they beat Ridgewood, and they should. Perry and Norwayne should win out. I'd assume Perry would stay 3 and Norwayne 4.

The other less interesting mystery is where Edison will finish. They should finish 10-0, but they'll end up way over-seeded. It'd be sort of fitting if they played Mooney in the 1st round.
The Mooney talk was about strength of schedule, it’s going to end up SR/garaway but the other games I think will
Be some upsets. I wouldn’t pick anyone other then those 2 to beat Mooney

Yes, I was talking about the SOS list.
I know Mooney is down currently but I also think they can do some damage in the D5 playoffs. I haven’t seen them play in years so admittedly I’m going from history and reputation.

Yes, I was talking about the SOS list.
I know they are down currently but I also think they can do some damage in the D5 playoffs. I haven’t seen them play in years so admittedly I’m going from history and reputation.
Crazy thing is if this were around 09-10 there wouldn’t even be talk about anyone competing with Mooney around then. It was crazy how good some of those Mooney teams were with D1 players everywhere running stretch until you quit

Crazy thing is if this were around 09-10 there wouldn’t even be talk about anyone competing with Mooney around then. It was crazy how good some of those Mooney teams were with D1 players everywhere running stretch until you quit
Those teams were ridiculously stacked. For awhile you couldn’t watch a Big 10 or ND game without seeing someone from Mooney on the field

I think Norwayne had the fire power on offense to beat anyone on any night they prob have the best offense in this region . The biggest flaw of them is there defense

I think Norwayne had the fire power on offense to beat anyone on any night they prob have the best offense in this region . The biggest flaw of them is there defense
SR has had games where they haven’t punted until the Jv got in. I agree norwayne has a good offense tho. That SR defense is dominant tho

SR has had games where they haven’t punted until the Jv got in. I agree norwayne has a good offense tho. That SR defense is dominant tho
Norwayne will likely be seeded 4th & that’s where they belong. SR is far away the best & Garaway/Perry the closest competition. (Frankly, Perry showed better in 20pt loss to Kirtland than any of Norwayne’s wins. ). Norwayne is best of rest.

I think they will probably finish 5-5.
Who do you think their 5th win is? Harding?

I'm not sure if they can win another regular season game. I don't like to sound negative but to be blunt about it I don't think the four teams they have beaten are very good. On the other hand, they played Chaney and Boardman tough & could have won both games. They led Lynsly 14-0 in the middle of the 3rd quarter and Lynsly just beat Big Red last night. The fake punt seemed to change that game completely. The D gave up some big plays in that one. They are young so mistakes like that happen.

We shall see. Good luck to all the R17 teams going forward.

I'm not sure if they can win another regular season game. I don't like to sound negative but to be blunt about it I don't think the four teams they have beaten are very good. On the other hand, they played Chaney and Boardman tough & could have won both games. They led Lynsly 14-0 in the middle of the 3rd quarter and Lynsly just beat Big Red last night. The fake punt seemed to change that game completely. The D gave up some big plays in that one. They are young so mistakes like that happen.

Yes, I believe it might be WGH. Mooney's defense has been really good this year, for the most part, except the Linsly game in the 4th quarter. WGH offense has struggled all year, scoring points. I just don't see them scoring much against Mooney. I do think it will be a low scoring close game though.

1. SR 10-0
2. Garaway 10-0
3. Perry 8-2
4. Edison 10-0
5. Norwayne 7-3
6. Garfield 9-1
7. Fairless 8-2
8. Conneaut 8-2
9. Ridgewood 7-3
10. Berkshire 6-4
11. Youngstown Cardinal Mooney 5-5
12. Harrison Central 6-4
13. Triway 5-5
14. Warren Champion 5-5
15. Smithville 6-4
16. Youngstown Liberty 4-5

I'm with you on this one after seeing one of their game films. The team they beat was not very good (3 wins against opponents currently a combined 2-19, and a loss to a 2-5 team) but Mooney didn't exactly look like a well-oiled machine en route to victory. Depending on seeding, maybe Mooney can give a 2nd round opponent a scare, but that's as far as I see them going if they qualify.

I'm with you on this one after seeing one of their game films. The team they beat was not very good (3 wins against opponents currently a combined 2-19, and a loss to a 2-5 team) but Mooney didn't exactly look like a well-oiled machine en route to victory. Depending on seeding, maybe Mooney can give a 2nd round opponent a scare, but that's as far as I see them going if they qualify.
There’s maybe 4 teams in the region better than CM.

You really don't have to tell me that. Lol. In all honesty I know about the coaching, but the talent is way down this year too
Very surprised they are lacking talent, they’re normally one of the most athletic teams in the state, now it seems like they can’t get anyone to block

Very surprised they are lacking talent, they’re normally one of the most athletic teams in the state, now it seems like they can’t get anyone to block
They have no receivers close to the talent of Ivory, and Foster from last year. Beside being pressured like crazy, Jett doesn't have anyone to really throw to to get separation. Ivory, and Foster got easy separation against everyone last year. Now with all that said, you can't do much of anything on offense if the OLine gets no push.

They have no receivers close to the talent of Ivory, and Foster from last year. Beside being pressured like crazy, Jett doesn't have anyone to really throw to to get separation. Ivory, and Foster got easy separation against everyone last year. Now with all that said, you can't do much of anything on offense if the OLine gets no push.
I agree. Those 2 were crazy talented last year