2022 Cleveland Browns Thread

Will the NFL be pressured by doing what's "politically correct," in response to the threats of retaliation by the involved organizations?!

Then the NFLPA will sue and it will be in court for a final disposition!
The NFLPA’s case would go nowhere in court. They literally signed this agreement last year. Remember, Tom was losing his case against the NFL before he dropped it.

Listen, most women that are into the NFL are into it because guys are into it and they like guys. Most feminists and most of the gay female crowd are never going to be interested in the NFL no matter what. The Watson thing isn’t going to stop the league from growing a female audience. And woke be darned, advertisers and networks are not going to abort the NFL. The money will trump all, no pun intended.
You and I have chatted privately on this. I think it’s huge (in terms of placing this in some sort of perspective) that he wasn’t indicted. There are many moving parts, multiple jurisdictions and prosecutors…no criminal charges. Yes, prosecutors, in a grand jury, can be like a butcher with his thumb on the scale, but lots of cops and prosecutors had their hands on this…no criminal charges. Makes it hard to justify “the worst of the worst“ types of punishments in a union setting.

I would disagree with the poo-pooing of how women see this. In my world (and multi-generational), the women all know SOME football and I find them to be almost universally disgusted with Watson AND the Browns (and finding out, if they didn’t already know, that men can be gross). There‘s also been a “drip, drip, drip” aspect to this. They have to work very aggressively to get this out of the newspaper.

You and I have chatted privately on this. I think it’s huge (in terms of placing this in some sort of perspective) that he wasn’t indicted. There are many moving parts, multiple jurisdictions and prosecutors…no criminal charges. Yes, prosecutors, in a grand jury, can be like a butcher with his thumb on the scale, but lots of cops and prosecutors had their hands on this…no criminal charges. Makes it hard to justify “the worst of the worst“ types of punishments in a union setting.

I would disagree with the poo-pooing of how women see this. In my world (and multi-generational), the women all know SOME football and I find them to be almost universally disgusted with Watson AND the Browns (and finding out, if they didn’t already know, that men can be gross). There‘s also been a “drip, drip, drip” aspect to this. They have to work very aggressively to get this out of the newspaper.
Agree with pretty much all of this. When it comes to women, though, I just don’t think this is something that’s going to stop the NFL’s growth of female fans.

Get rid if Watson completely
What I find interesting about this situation…

Playing football is a job. When someone commits a crime, do we expect, as one of the consequences, that a convict should be prohibited from working? Obviously, a terrible policy. Bunch of convicts, wandering around, without a job, time on their hands, no money…hmmm, wonder what they’ll do to get money?

Watson shouldn’t be allowed to work at what he’s been trained to do?

What I find interesting about this situation…

Playing football is a job. When someone commits a crime, do we expect, as one of the consequences, that a convict should be prohibited from working? Obviously, a terrible policy. Bunch of convicts, wandering around, without a job, time on their hands, no money…hmmm, wonder what they’ll do to get money?

Watson shouldn’t be allowed to work at what he’s been trained to do?
Maybe it’s because I’m relatively a peon at my company vs. Watson’s standing in the Browns organization, but I would 100% be fired if my place of employment found out I had 20+ accusations of sexual assault.

A lot of outside pressure for the League to lengthen and add a fine to this ruling, it is not a slam dunk as there are consequences if Goodell unilaterally decides to make changes. Namely the Union will take them to court and probably get an injunction so Watson could play week 1 and make this the primary story for most of the season.

As they say in TV, to be continued...

Maybe it’s because I’m relatively a peon at my company vs. Watson’s standing in the Browns organization, but I would 100% be fired if my place of employment found out I had 20+ accusations of sexual assault.
That's a fair point. I think I can distinguish MY point. If you do bad things, I understand that it may have a significant impact on your getting a job...or keeping the one you have.

But, I frequently read comments, about Watson (and others) that they should be PROHIBITED from working in their chosen field. I don't agree with that; in his case or in anyone's, really. A job is one of the best methods of keeping people out of trouble. Work is good...

A lot of outside pressure for the League to lengthen and add a fine to this ruling, it is not a slam dunk as there are consequences if Goodell unilaterally decides to make changes. Namely the Union will take them to court and probably get an injunction so Watson could play week 1 and make this the primary story for most of the season.

As they say in TV, to be continued...
IT'S THE BROWNS AGAINST THE WORLD

That's a fair point. I think I can distinguish MY point. If you do bad things, I understand that it may have a significant impact on your getting a job...or keeping the one you have.

But, I frequently read comments, about Watson (and others) that they should be PROHIBITED from working in their chosen field. I don't agree with that; in his case or in anyone's, really. A job is one of the best methods of keeping people out of trouble. Work is good...
A very fair point and I agree. I picked up on it in your first post but hyper focused on a small portion, my apologies.

A very fair point and I agree. I picked up on it in your first post but hyper focused on a small portion, my apologies.
There is a different issue and it's directed at the Browns. I don't think a guy like Watson should be banned from working in the NFL. BUT, I think it's fair for the fans of the Browns to decide whether or not they support the team after they decided to hire a guy with this baggage.

Personally, I see Watson's situation like that scene in the movie "The World According to Garp". Robin Williams (Garp) is thinking about buying a house. As he starts walking up the sidewalk to go in, the house gets hit by a small airplane. Garp..."I want this house." Wife: "Why?" Garp: "Because the chances of that ever happening again are practically zero".

Watson's never going to get another chance to explore his unusual appetites. He'll probably become the most boring guy in the NFL.

Watson needs to be the most boring guy in the league. A lot of people are going to be watching & waiting anxiously for him to make a slip.

And if it were peons like me and you who have done this, would it be public knowledge? We would have gotten our faces slapped and our a**es kicked out the door and told to never to come back. Seems like the cash settlements are trumping the sexual assaults claims. If it wasn't a high profile figure it would be a non-story.

And if it were peons like me and you who have done this, would it be public knowledge? We would have gotten our faces slapped and our a**es kicked out the door and told to never to come back. Seems like the cash settlements are trumping the sexual assaults claims. If it wasn't a high profile figure it would be a non-story.
I dunno, 20+ might get you in the newspapers and a quick shoutout on the news in your city. But to your point, no it is not discussed on Yappi, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

I dunno, 20+ might get you in the newspapers and a quick shoutout on the news in your city. But to your point, no it is not discussed on Yappi, Twitter, Facebook, etc.
I don't think that the women would make these claims against guys like us. It isn't sexual assault if no one makes a claim. Were the women actually assaulted or were they looking for a payday? Why weren't these acts reported when they happened?

From the judge's opinion, it doesn't look like the NFL presented a very compelling case to warrant a long suspension. But, their tweet looks like the NFL is not going to accept the six games:

Might want to re-read the tweet.

It says the NFL "will be reviewing" the ruling, which of course they will, and they need to say that. You somehow interpreted that to "the NFL will not accept the ruling"?

Might want to re-read the tweet.

It says the NFL "will be reviewing" the ruling, which of course they will, and they need to say that. You somehow interpreted that to "the NFL will not accept the ruling"?
There is little doubt in my mind that the NFL is going to file a protest. Someone has to be the villain here and, if the league doesn't file, then the onus is on them. The judge pretty much stated that he did the deeds and lied about it. The reason she ruled the way she did was because the NFL " changed the rules" midstream. In no way did she exonerate Watson. That's all Goodell needs as ammunition; there is too much pressure on him to do something additional. The six game suspension will only be a part of the actual punishment. This will end up in court. And don't think that Buzbee is finished; he's getting too much publicity. Apparently he's having a news conference on Thurs. If Watson play at all this year, the Browns will be lucky. Will the Browns ever have a "regular" season when all of the talk is about the game?

There is little doubt in my mind that the NFL is going to file a protest. Someone has to be the villain here and, if the league doesn't file, then the onus is on them. The judge pretty much stated that he did the deeds and lied about it. The reason she ruled the way she did was because the NFL " changed the rules" midstream. In no way did she exonerate Watson. That's all Goodell needs as ammunition; there is too much pressure on him to do something additional. The six game suspension will only be a part of the actual punishment. This will end up in court. And don't think that Buzbee is finished; he's getting too much publicity. Apparently he's having a news conference on Thurs. If Watson play at all this year, the Browns will be lucky. Will the Browns ever have a "regular" season when all of the talk is about the game?
Well, of course she didn't exonerate him. She suspended a guy who gets paid by the game to a six game suspension. An enormous punishment...not enough for some, but a lot of this is spin and how we characterize the behavior. I think there's a good argument that this behavior, while extensive (AND sordid), did not result in any criminal charges and is less serious than some other behavior handled by the NFL (including Mixon).

Best way for the NFL to start off the season with Watson doing a penalty is to leave it alone.

Most important camp battle IMO is for DT. Elliot/Bryan/Winfrey/Togiai. Also Sheldon Day who has been on practice squad for awhile and undrafted rookies Roderick Perry and Glen Logan

I wouldn't be so sure; it is not Watson's behavior, but the stupid contract they gave to Watson that is creating the hate from other team's fans.
Why would other teams fans hate what someone else pays a player? Rodgers and now Murray have bigger contracts, people hate GB and Arizona because of it?

Now as a Browns fan the wrecking it does to the salary cap going forward would be understandable to be less than enthused with the contract.

Why should the Browns be hated in this situation? If any team should be hated it's the Texans, who facilitated his behavior. But, they aren't getting anything.

BTW, here is a link for the entire decision:

Although the national talking heads are pretty much unanimous in their disdain for the ruling, some even offering a nasty evaluation of Judge Robinson: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...-six-game-suspension/lwzg4dn5vj7uisdvl7uwljww

This exchange seems to be more level-headed:

gosh a ruddies, a team gives 230 million dollars to a serial sexual abuser of women and you wonder why they are hated.