Youngstown Ursuline in 2022?

Parma Padua Franciscan vs. Ursuline is a first ever. Interesting that Hartley is scheduled three years in a row (2020 game cancelled due to pandemic). If the Irish beat Cardinal Mooney that will mean 4-in-a-row. That has never happened in the series. Anyone know how the Cards look in '22?
No more Hartley game. Brookfield is playing the Irish week 1 at Stambaugh

Awfully gutsy of the Warriors for heading to Stambaugh to play Ursuline. I know that their QB is legit, going to UCF? I’m unaware of what both teams return.

A little history...
1932-Brookfield 25, Ursuline 0 (1st year of Irish football).
1933-Ursuline 7, Brookfield 6.
1934-Ursuline 6, Brookfield 0.
1935-6-6 tie.
1943-Ursuline 26, Brookfield 6.
Ursuline leads 3-1-1

They
CMHS 2022
Boardman
Mentor Lake Catholic
Youngstown Chaney
at Linsly W Va
at Cleveland Lutheran East
Youngstown East
at Lyndhurst Brush
Warren Harding
at Steubenville
Youngstown Ursuline

Used to be the Cards struggled to pull together a 10 game slate. Everyone's lining up to play Mooney nowadays. Cardinal Mooney vs. Austintown Fitch has been a thing since 1968. All things must pass..
Cards may go 0-10. They need to drop HS FB!

They

Cards may go 0-10. They need to drop HS FB!

Why should they? However, the "Mooney mystic" may still keep smaller schools from scheduling. Maybe renewing rivalries with Campbell Memorial and other formally big schools? Last year's Hubbard loss was down to the wire. Warren JFK is often looking for opponents. Sharon Kennedy Catholic, too. Cards can compete with some larger schools like East. I suspect Ursuline & Boardman will remain slated because of the historic rivalries. Fitch is gone. Akron SV-SM, too. I wish Mooney well (except against that team on the northside). Recent events at the school won't help enrollment. Ursuline keeps growing. Even the Feckos have landed on Wick Avenue. One guarantee of life is that nothing is guaranteed. Who knows what the Valley will look like in 5-10 years? Changed for sure.

While a student at Ursuline the loaded 8-1 Irish were without question going to beat a mediocre 1-8 Youngstown East team. Final score 8-8.
The next season ending game saw 9-0 Struthers on a 26 game winning streak vs. an Ursuline squad with 5 wins. Final score 6-6.
Never say never...
Never lol times have changed big time. I’ll be surprised if it’s not a running clock by halftime tbh

Why the change
Ursuline now open Week 8. Boardman is now playing Dover.
Sad to know. Ursuline's relationship with Boardman on the gridiron stretches back to 1968. I was at that game at Boardman in the 10th week of the season. It was bitter cold. 1968 was the first time the Spartans played Mooney, too. As I recall people seemed surprised at the massive crowd. Not sure why. That was the year that the Cards & Irish joined the Steel Valley Conference.

Ursuline will now be playing at VASJ Week 8. (Atleast VASJ is the home team).
Cleveland St. Joseph was often on the Ursuline schedule during the mid '60s & early '70s. I know a lot of Boardman St. Charles boys are at Ursuline and played football the last couple of years. They are passing on Mooney. Is Boardman unhappy about that? Loss of a traditional rival for both schools.

Pathetic (on Boardman's part).

But wouldn't be surprised to see Canfield and Poland follow suit if they haven't already given that Ursuline is increasingly the choice for even those from the 224 suburbs...
Canfield has already barred the Irish from the grid iron. Poland just hasn't officially done so. Struthers vs. Ursuline isn't a possibility either. The only SVC foe from the league's glory years that'll schedule Ursuline in football now are Fitch & Harding. Mooney's a given.

Canfield has already barred the Irish from the grid iron. Poland just hasn't officially done so. Struthers vs. Ursuline isn't a possibility either. The only SVC foe from the league's glory years that'll schedule Ursuline in football now are Fitch & Harding. Mooney's a given.
Canfield hasn't played Ursuline in football in almost 30 years anyways. Canfield does play Ursuline and Cardinal Mooney in the minor sports still. There was a period where Canfield briefly dropped Mooney in most but not all sports, most notably boys basketball.

From the Struthers POV. Make the Catholic's travel. If we see them in the post season, so be it. - Not my words

A moderator edited my comment. It was much meaner than what’s posted.

Last edited:
Why would Canfield and Boardman not play Ursuline?
The accusation is that there is a vast and long standing conspiracy among Catholic school administrators, coaches, parishes, and parents to cherry pick good athletes and steal them from other schools. We've been hearing this for more than 50 years.
Get ready.... the tyraid against us is about to begin.....

The accusation is that there is a vast and long standing conspiracy among Catholic school administrators, coaches, parishes, and parents to cherry pick good athletes and steal them from other schools. We've been hearing this for more than 50 years.
Get ready.... the tyraid against us is about to begin.....
The fact is a good friend of mine was poached by Ursuline to play QB for them and this was about 15 years ago, and he was a very talented individual. Several of my cousins also lived in Canfield but ultimately went to Mooney. Another cousin of mine who went to Boardman, was approached/recruited by both Ursuline and Mooney to try and get him to go there instead, he is currently in the NFL so that may give you a clue as to who he is...

That said I have no animosity against Ursuline or Mooney, but the facts are the facts, they have poached and tried to poach players from Canfield and other area schools for various sports not just football. Whether it has been happening for the past 50 years or not I can't comment.

The fact is a good friend of mine was poached by Ursuline to play QB for them and this was about 15 years ago, and he was a very talented individual. Several of my cousins also lived in Canfield but ultimately went to Mooney. Another cousin of mine who went to Boardman, was approached/recruited by both Ursuline and Mooney to try and get him to go there instead, he is currently in the NFL so that may give you a clue as to who he is...

That said I have no animosity against Ursuline or Mooney, but the facts are the facts, they have poached and tried to poach players from Canfield and other area schools for various sports not just football. Whether it has been happening for the past 50 years or not I can't comment.
The schools reach out to each and every kid we can---we no longer have 14 parochial feeder schools in the city of Youngstown alone. Others wish to paint this as something sinister. You don't hear that cry when the Irish or Cards are struggling. I guess we just forgot to "recruit" that year.

I personally think the idea of legit recruiting by the catholic school doesn't really exist cause there are so many factors that go into it. From my experience if a family has a connection to Ursuline, Mooney or JFK the kid is going there for high school even if the kid went to his public school all the way thru 8th grade. Open enrollment at public schools makes it just as easy for kids to go to a neighboring schools entering 9th grade and in some instances public schools in the valley are just as bad as the catholics in that respect. Yes there are bad actors at a lot of catholic schools that may try to take kids from the publics but the are just as many at the publics as well. This is coming from a guy who played at a public.

I personally think the idea of legit recruiting by the catholic school doesn't really exist cause there are so many factors that go into it. From my experience if a family has a connection to Ursuline, Mooney or JFK the kid is going there for high school even if the kid went to his public school all the way thru 8th grade. Open enrollment at public schools makes it just as easy for kids to go to a neighboring schools entering 9th grade and in some instances public schools in the valley are just as bad as the catholics in that respect. Yes there are bad actors at a lot of catholic schools that may try to take kids from the publics but the are just as many at the publics as well. This is coming from a guy who played at a public.

Thank you, sir! Living in SW Ohio I can tell you from personal experience and my own contacts that the accusation of "recruiting" is raised against St. Xavier, Chaminade-Julienne, Archbishop Moeller, etc. Purcell Marian faced it just this month when they won the girl's BB state title with four freshmen---accusations arose that the school on Hackberry Street surfed the public junior highs to find them. Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy, a Protestant school, hears it as well. We just can't win (well actually we do win--a lot--and that may be the problem).