Ex-Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores accuses NFL of racial discrimination in lawsuit

Was listening to Doug Gottleib and he had an NFL insider on talking about all this. It was very interesting and from what they were saying, it doesn't sound like the Giants did anything wrong IMO. Some things I found interesting:

- The Giants had already interviewed two minority candidates (Frazier & Graham) so the Flores interview had nothing to do with the Rooney rule
- Mara is obsessed with the Patriots and wanted to meet with Flores because of his past experience there
- The new GM had worked with Daboll so that was going to be his guy, but the interview with Flores was already scheduled
- Flores rubbed a lot of people the wrong way and apparently every Belichik coach that has become a head coach (beside Crenell) has done the same
Of course the Giants did nothing wrong. I don’t know of any job where it isn’t a huge advantage to be known already to the person doing the hiring. Is Flores in the real world? My employer routinely hires people we all know are earmarked for a certain opening, but is required to interview a certain number of candidates as a requirement of the process. I’ve interviewed for jobs I knew were already going to someone else, but I did it to get face time with an eye on impressing the higher-ups for consideration for a future opening. There is nothing about Flores complaints that are earth-shattering other than Ross offering him money to throw games.

I don't disagree on Tua, but we're not his former bosses.
True. I’m just trying to be fair. He’s getting compared to Kaepernick and I don’t think they’re situation is similar. Frankly, Flores is a much better Coach than Kaepernick was a QB (at the end of his 49ers tenure).

There is nothing about Flores complaints that are earth-shattering other than Ross offering him money to throw games.
Exactly how Rose McGowan did it with this same law firm. I would be stunned if Flores ever worked in the NFL again. It's sort of a max option lawsuit including the racial stuff when that's not the issue. Flores gets to screw Ross and the NFL at the same time. Basic as.

As for the Browns offering Hue Jackson money to tank? Only the Browns would tank for Baker. What a hapless franchise.
This is Hueless is being Hueless … and throwing more people under the bus … his only real talent … pointing fingers at others and blaming them … if he got paid to lose he would be a billionaire

Joesports - You bring up a valid point regarding Hugh Jackson and it’s hard to believe that anyone would have to pay anyone for those Browns teams to lose during their 1-31 streak. However, Browns owner Jimmy Haslam has his own faults. In 2013 his company Pilot Flying J was charged by the FBI with a 5 year fraud scheme with their ‘customer rewards program’ and had to pay $92 mil in restitution. So, there is a history on both sides.

What I do believe in is the old saying “water seeks its own level”. Was there a bonus to tank/lose? Who know. Hugh says he has proof - Haslam & the Browns say it’s completely false. Sounds like a perfect marriage of incompetence.

I'm disappointed in ESPN covering this issue.
This is really all that needs to be from this post. We have to remember first and foremost that ESPN is not in any way worried or concerned with the truth. As their letters spell out, the E is for Entertainment. The are only concerned with entertainment and getting people to watch the network. Look at all the good, reputable men that's left ESPN over the last decade.

Was listening to Doug Gottleib and he had an NFL insider on talking about all this. It was very interesting and from what they were saying, it doesn't sound like the Giants did anything wrong IMO. Some things I found interesting:

- The Giants had already interviewed two minority candidates (Frazier & Graham) so the Flores interview had nothing to do with the Rooney rule
- Mara is obsessed with the Patriots and wanted to meet with Flores because of his past experience there
- The new GM had worked with Daboll so that was going to be his guy, but the interview with Flores was already scheduled
- Flores rubbed a lot of people the wrong way and apparently every Belichik coach that has become a head coach (beside Crenell) has done the same
B-I-N-G-O!!! You are the poster of the week Tyler. I heard the same interview and I really like Doug Gotleib. He's very middle of the road and does not pamper to the left. Many seems to have forgotten that Flores was very difficult to work with, that his GM in Miami is black, and just many of the other details of this story.
This clearly looks to me like a guy looking to hit the talk show circuit, like Kaepernick. He's mad because he got fired.

Of course the Giants did nothing wrong. I don’t know of any job where it isn’t a huge advantage to be known already to the person doing the hiring. Is Flores in the real world? My employer routinely hires people we all know are earmarked for a certain opening, but is required to interview a certain number of candidates as a requirement of the process. I’ve interviewed for jobs I knew were already going to someone else, but I did it to get face time with an eye on impressing the higher-ups for consideration for a future opening. There is nothing about Flores complaints that are earth-shattering other than Ross offering him money to throw games.
Anyone who's been in the job force and interviewed for jobs knows this. There are candidates who are stronger than others and managers are going to "rank" candidates. Giants needed an offensive minded coach because of their investment in Danny dimes. Dabold fits that. Flores is a defensive coach. Amazing how the details in these situations get blurred.

Maybe there is racism in the NFL but looking at purely numbers is just silly. 70% of the NFL is African-American but the racial disparity cannot be used as proof of racism. Same with the Owners, GMs, and Head Coaches. There needs to be more than simply saying the percentages indicate racism.
This seems to be a go to argument for a lot of things when it comes to race, as proof racism doesn't exist. I would like to counter that premonition on the basis that the selection process for players vs that of coaches and management are totally different. the selection of players is one of the most objective hiring processes in the world, they are poked , prodded, measured, timed and interviewed (even with that process in place, how many decades went pass before they believed Blacks had the intellect to play QB). Where as selecting for coaches is very subjective and made on how someone feels, resume/facts not withstanding.

Jackson claims he has corroborating evidence that Haslem offered him money to lose

His salary was $4.7mill a yr as head coach, $100,000 a game would only come to $1.6 mill

Sorry my joke went over your head.

This seems to be a go to argument for a lot of things when it comes to race, as proof racism doesn't exist. I would like to counter that premonition on the basis that the selection process for players vs that of coaches and management are totally different. the selection of players is one of the most objective hiring processes in the world, they are poked , prodded, measured, timed and interviewed (even with that process in place, how many decades went pass before they believed Blacks had the intellect to play QB). Where as selecting for coaches is very subjective and made on how someone feels, resume/facts not withstanding.
Who says this guy not getting hired is indeed racism?

He did a lousy job, according to his boss, and they got rid of him.

Then he went on an interview where there apparently was a front runner for the job, and didn't get it.

Should he have been hired in front of Whitey just because he's Black?

He looks like a sore loser. He'll be lucky to ever be a head coach again.

Who says this guy not getting hired is indeed racism?

He did a lousy job, according to his boss, and they got rid of him.

Then he went on an interview where there apparently was a front runner for the job, and didn't get it.

Should he have been hired in front of Whitey just because he's Black?

He looks like a sore loser. He'll be lucky to ever be a head coach again.
How many crackers get fired after winning 19 games in two seasons for a franchise that had won 18 the three prior?

Fact is....he didn't play the owners game of tanking. And he is black.

Two reasons why he was fired.

Issue is.....in the NFL owners look for reasons to keep white coaches and reasons to fire blacks

• Haha
Reactions: y2h
I believe there is still alot more subjectivity in the selection process of players than most of us are led to believe. There is a reason that can't miss players miss all the time and the occasional undrafted player goes to the HOF. NFL teams want to win and they are making the best decisions to fill positions. It doesn't mean they aren't wrong many, many times. Just look at the list of Browns QBs since they've returned to Cleveland.

And I am in no way saying that racism doesn't exist. It may very well be a factor in this situation. But I would rather hear alot more about this from all sides.

How many crackers get fired after winning 19 games in two seasons for a franchise that had won 18 the three prior?

Issue is.....in the NFL owners look for reasons to keep white coaches and reasons to fire blacks
I hope he has proof.

If not, he'll look like a jackazz.

There are many reasons for this …. Like most things in life … there is no simple answer
…. Right now the hot coaches are the Sean McVey type … young, offensive minded and QB centric coaches
… right now, there are not many black coaches that fit that type
… in 5 years that could easily change to hard nose defensive minded types of coaches
…. there are many more black DCs than OCs
…. The NFL is all about winning … if the owners thought that a Martian gave them the best chance … they would hire a Martian
… it human nature to look for people like yourself … most (all? ) the owners are white

Really? Harbaugh took 49ers to SB went to 3 straight NFC championships and got fired as did Andy Reid from the Eagles even though Philly was a consistent playoff team. Marvin Lewis was with the Bengals for a long time, I guess he got fired because he was black.

Really? Harbaugh took 49ers to SB went to 3 straight NFC championships and got fired as did Andy Reid from the Eagles even though Philly was a consistent playoff team. Marvin Lewis was with the Bengals for a long time, I guess he got fired because he was black.
Lewis stuck around so long because he was Mikey Boy's puppet and yes man. Didn't command much, didn't rock the boat, and toed the line to Mikey Boy. Sorta like Garret in Dallas....he stuck around because he was Jerry's puppet.

Marty Schottenheimer twice … he was fired after 4 straight playoffs (two AFC championships) and 3 straight 10 wins or better seasons with the Browns … then fired after going 14-2 in SD

Reactions: y2h
We are going to have an issue if you want to bring facts into these discussions. There are no reasons to do so.

Blacks get discriminated against in the NFL coaching ranks.

THAT is the argument. That is the narrative.

Hell.. Stiller fans wanna fire MT...because he is black.

John Elway calls Brian Flores' claims about Broncos interview 'just plain wrong'

1643927353117.png

So owners are hiring less capable coaches which leads to losing just to spite black coaches?

We are going to have an issue if you want to bring facts into these discussions. There are no reasons to do so.

Blacks get discriminated against in the NFL coaching ranks.

THAT is the argument. That is the narrative.

Hell.. Stiller fans wanna fire MT...because he is black.
Every fan base has people who want to fire their coach … heck Brian wants to fire the Browns coaches every game … KC had fans calling for Andy Reid to me fired … the NE had people calling for BB job last year … nature of the business.

The same people upset Bienemy isn’t getting a job are the same ones who will rip the team that hires him bc of his history of being violent towards women. The media crushed the Lions for allegations far less concrete than what were made vs Bienemy. It’s a no win situation.

I will say either Houston is trying to tank or curry favor with the NFL bc hiring Lovie Smith is a joke.

This is Lovie’s 3rd shot at an NFL HC job, but let’s not forget he also failed as the HC at Illinois as well. Nothing against him personally, but man, that’s a bad hire.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is Lovie’s 3rd shot at an NFL HC job, but let’s not forget he also failed as the HC at Illinois as well. Nothing against him personally, but man, that’s a bad hire.
They want McCown but can’t hire him with everything going on. So they are doing the same thing they did last year: hire a minority candidate to curry favor from society just to fire him when his poor team predictably performs poorly. McCown is the Texans HC in 2 years at the latest unless someone else snatches him up first.