The Official 2021 EBC football thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marlington over Carrollton, I didn’t see that one coming. Great job Dukes.

Big win for Salem over South, they needed a couple of battles before West Branch. They have to be hoping to keep it close early and hang around and win if late.

Alliance had their chances against Louisville, the Marlington game should be a good rivalry game.

the stats say that Carrollton played well but Marlington just played better. Will win big over Minerva,

WB had 77 at the end of the 3rd and really didn’t run up the score. They are that good and the Lions are that bad. A lot of Minerva fans are really worried about the future of the program- will they have a team in 2022?

I usually state my opinions on here just like everyone else. and usually not liked by them but I seen there is a EBC sports talk Twitter page and whoever is running it is tweeting stuff about programs and players in a Negative way. I dont think its the right thing to do. Especially using social media to bash kids. It would be one thing if the tweets was helping out the league. I hope its not an adult running the page

I usually state my opinions on here just like everyone else. and usually not liked by them but I seen there is a EBC sports talk Twitter page and whoever is running it is tweeting stuff about programs and players in a Negative way. I dont think its the right thing to do. Especially using social media to bash kids. It would be one thing if the tweets was helping out the league. I hope its not an adult running the page
Kids should be off limits.

I agree. But I seen some kids in the league posting highlight reels on their twitter and then that Twitter page telling them they are doing a "mediocre" performance and things to that that nature. Just a bad look on the league
I agree, fortunately at least this thread has been pretty civil for the most part

It's a recent graduate running the page, nobody actually associated with the league

Welcome to week 10, didn't think a team would stay undefeated and wrap up the league in week 9 but congrats to WB.. My predictions for Week 10:

West Branch 55
Salem 30
WB has too many weapons. Salem is explosive and will put up some points but not enough.

Alliance 28
Marlington 27
The Dukes have been playing well latey but will go with Alliance in a close one. this is toss up.

Carrollton 45
Minerva 0
Carrollton's running game will be too much for the small and undermanned Lions. Hopefully Minerva can not turn the ball over and keep them under 50. The big question is will Minerva have a football team in 2022?

Howland 30
Canton South 24
South is official done in the EBS. Howland is only 2-7 but their schedule is a lot more challenging and WB barely squeked by them.

Welcome to week 10, didn't think a team would stay undefeated and wrap up the league in week 9 but congrats to WB.. My predictions for Week 10:

West Branch 55
Salem 30
WB has too many weapons. Salem is explosive and will put up some points but not enough.

Alliance 28
Marlington 27
The Dukes have been playing well latey but will go with Alliance in a close one. this is toss up.

Carrollton 45
Minerva 0
Carrollton's running game will be too much for the small and undermanned Lions. Hopefully Minerva can not turn the ball over and keep them under 50. The big question is will Minerva have a football team in 2022?

Howland 30
Canton South 24
South is official done in the EBS. Howland is only 2-7 but their schedule is a lot more challenging and WB barely squeked by them.
West Branch and Salem is going to be last minute touchdown winner type of game. Salem wins
Alliance eliminates mistakes and wins by 2 scores.
Canton South has more to play for than Howland who wants the season to be over. CS by 2 scores.
No Minerva football in 2022?? The remaining teams in the league should all schedule Massillon next year to replace Minerva. And after everyone loses by 40-70 points like Minerva has this season they will all understand the situation the Lions are in and understand why in football it might be better for Minerva to be independent and find easier games. They will not be able to change the football culture now until the program can get some wins and that will not happen in the league play any time soon.

West Branch and Salem is going to be last minute touchdown winner type of game. Salem wins
Canton South has more to play for than Howland who wants the season to be over. CS by 2 scores.
No Minerva football in 2022?? The remaining teams in the league should all schedule Massillon next year to replace Minerva. And after everyone loses by 40-70 points like Minerva has this season they will all understand the situation the Lions are in and understand why in football it might be better for Minerva to be independent and find easier games. They will not be able to change the football culture now until the program can get some wins and that will not happen in the league play any time soon.

Minerva will have a team! From what I am told there is alot of young hungry kids on the team.

Marlington 28
Alliance 24

Salem 48
West Branch 42

The WB -Salem game should be a good one, a friend from WB told me that they really don’t like each other and it’s a great rivalry. Minerva has a decent freshmen class but sophomore and junior numbers are really low. If some freshmen decide not to play it could be bad..

That sounds great in theory, but what easier games will Minerva find as an independent? There aren't many independent teams out there that would be accused of having easy schedules. Louisville is having a terrible time as an independent. Northwest struggled as an independent in the years between leaving the NBC and joining the PAC. Canton CC is constantly criticized for overscheduling because the critics don't understand that scheduling sucks when you're independent. You can't make teams play you when you're independent. There's also the simple fact that options are very limited in the later weeks of the season when most other teams are involved in league play.

I’ve only seen WB play once against Howland, if they play like that against Salem they could easily lose, Howland is not a good football team, but I’ve only seen them once so I’m not sure I think the game can go either way regardless

Minerva will have a varsity football team in 2022, probably not a JV team but they will field a team on Friday nights. They will be a sophomore heavy team and the jr and sr class will have very low numbers and not a whole lot of talent. A lot of sophomores will start on both sides of the ball and will not be successful as far as wins and losses, you just don't win in high school football with a lot of sophomores playing. They had a chance to turn it around in 2019 and 2020 but only won 3 games in 2 years. Mainly because they had 1 good class (last years seniors) and very little help ahead of them or behind them. Hopefully the freshmen from this year's team keep playing and the 8 grade team gets some kids back out. Minerva usually has good teams in their youth program and as they get older, the teams get worse and the kids stop playing. They need to find a coach that is willing to put in the work, be involved in the community and be passionate about the program. Not aksing for a miracle season, just a team where you see improvement and a glimmer of hope would be a good first step.

Carrollton 42
Minerva 0
I give the Minerval kids tons of credit. They realize that they are outgunned every week, but continue to show up and play!

Howland 31
South 35
Pulling for South in this one. Howland's record isn't good, but they are a strange team. They have stepped up and played well at times, but have also looked below average at others. Who knows which version shows up Friday night?

Marlington 28
Alliance 24
Absolute toss-up. The reason why I went with Marlington is they appear to have improved over the past 2-3 weeks.

West Branch 56
Salem 28
Salem has the athletes to win this contest, but the team tends to "disappear" at times during games. West Branch has been unstoppable on offense all season and the Quaker defense will be tested like it hasn't been all season.

Minerva will have a varsity football team in 2022, probably not a JV team but they will field a team on Friday nights. They will be a sophomore heavy team and the jr and sr class will have very low numbers and not a whole lot of talent. A lot of sophomores will start on both sides of the ball and will not be successful as far as wins and losses, you just don't win in high school football with a lot of sophomores playing. They had a chance to turn it around in 2019 and 2020 but only won 3 games in 2 years. Mainly because they had 1 good class (last years seniors) and very little help ahead of them or behind them. Hopefully the freshmen from this year's team keep playing and the 8 grade team gets some kids back out. Minerva usually has good teams in their youth program and as they get older, the teams get worse and the kids stop playing. They need to find a coach that is willing to put in the work, be involved in the community and be passionate about the program. Not aksing for a miracle season, just a team where you see improvement and a glimmer of hope would be a good first step.
We need to hope all of those freshmen come back after and really rough season. If we lose some of those kids it will be tough to field a team.

We need to hope all of those freshmen come back after and really rough season. If we lose some of those kids it will be tough to field a team.
Minerva 7th grade just won the EBC beating WB 54-20. Finished undefeated and dominant with around 30 kids playing. Number 1 priority- keep these kids playing and get the 5 or 6 really good 8th graders off the cc team and back on the gridiron (the cc team won the ebc too) A lot of talent, don’t blow it!

Minerva 7th grade just won the EBC beating WB 54-20. Finished undefeated and dominant with around 30 kids playing. Number 1 priority- keep these kids playing and get the 5 or 6 really good 8th graders off the cc team and back on the gridiron (the cc team won the ebc too) A lot of talent, don’t blow it!
Don't read too much into 7th grade results, all it takes at that level is one kid to mature before his peers and a coach willing to funnel him the ball at the expense of developing a roster and you've got yourself middle school juggernauts

Carrollton 42
Minerva 0
I give the Minerval kids tons of credit. They realize that they are outgunned every week, but continue to show up and play!

Howland 31
South 35
Pulling for South in this one. Howland's record isn't good, but they are a strange team. They have stepped up and played well at times, but have also looked below average at others. Who knows which version shows up Friday night?

Marlington 28
Alliance 24
Absolute toss-up. The reason why I went with Marlington is they appear to have improved over the past 2-3 weeks.

West Branch 56
Salem 28
Salem has the athletes to win this contest, but the team tends to "disappear" at times during games. West Branch has been unstoppable on offense all season and the Quaker defense will be tested like it hasn't been all season.
I would say Howland tested the WB defense, put up 34 and if a shanked punt didn’t bounce off a Howland player they coulda lost that game. Salem usually comes out very hot and tends to slow down as the game goes on, if WB can withstand the first flurry from Salem they win by 2tds

Don't read too much into 7th grade results, all it takes at that level is one kid to mature before his peers and a coach willing to funnel him the ball at the expense of developing a roster and you've got yourself middle school juggernauts
I agree but if they keep most of the 30ish kids playing the program can do nothing but get better. That’s what hasn’t been happening in Minerva. Also they are a very good team, not a one player show. We have had a lot of very good middle school and youth team and they go from 30 kids in middle school to 6 as juniors and seniors, not saying the 7th graders will be league champs in 5 years but if kids don’t quit the program will improve. Whoever coaches needs to make it a priority to retain these kids.

Last edited:

Last time a High School team form the EBC played Massillon was the 10th graders at Alliance. They only lost 30 to 33

You are exactly right. I think the point 88 is trying to make is that we always have good numbers and good teams in youth and 7th grade. In 8th grade kids start to drop off and by the time they are sophomores, juniors and seniors they drop from 25-30 kids to around 6 or 7 kids. Winning a championship in youth or middle school means nothing but keeping 75% of the kids playing means everything. This year's senior class had a lof of kids in youth and 7th grade and were successful and now they have 7 with 1 lineman. The junior class had around 30 kids and were successfull and now they have 6. The sophomore class has around 10 kids and not really much talent since their stud is now a running back at Perry and getting varsity carries. Whoever coaches next year, whether it's Hundley or somene else, they must focus on development and keeping kids in the program. Until that happens Minerva will continue to struggle in football no matter what confernece they are in.

I would say Howland tested the WB defense, put up 34 and if a shanked punt didn’t bounce off a Howland player they coulda lost that game. Salem usually comes out very hot and tends to slow down as the game goes on, if WB can withstand the first flurry from Salem they win by 2tds
I agree everything you posted. I make a concerted effort to see every EBC team at least once per season (I fully realize that one game isn't a tell-all). It appears that the WB defense is what I would term as an average high school defense. Not dominant by any means, but resilient enough to get a few stops, which has allowed the offense to put distance between WB and their opponent. As I noted in my previous post, Salem can definitely win this game. It just appears to me that the Quakers have "lapses" at points during the game and they cannot do that (especially on defense) this week or they could find themselves down 14-20 points and fighting an uphill battle. I will attend this game and am hoping for a great contest.

I agree everything you posted. I make a concerted effort to see every EBC team at least once per season (I fully realize that one game isn't a tell-all). It appears that the WB defense is what I would term as an average high school defense. Not dominant by any means, but resilient enough to get a few stops, which has allowed the offense to put distance between WB and their opponent. As I noted in my previous post, Salem can definitely win this game. It just appears to me that the Quakers have "lapses" at points during the game and they cannot do that (especially on defense) this week or they could find themselves down 14-20 points and fighting an uphill battle. I will attend this game and am hoping for a great contest.
West Branch’s best defense is a great offense. They do a really good job of keeping their foot on the gas early. They score a lot of first half points. If Salem can force turnovers and get stops early and keep it close at halftime, they can certainly have a chance to win a shootout in the 2nd half. Salem is an explosive team too. It looks like Saturday will be nice weather with no rain. I do look for west Branch to score early and often and win but it should be fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.