The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

I see you've been reading a blog...

You want to take your SS who has been playing really well and move him to 3B so a rookie can play SS in the middle of a playoff race? GTFO
Like I said...

Barreo has no track record yet you want to shake up the left side of your infield with 6 weeks to go in a pennant race...

Last night was a clear indication of Bell's confidence in Barreo. He had Barreo, Stephenson and Moustakas on the bench with the bases loaded. Stephenson got the call.

Barreo may very well turn into a stud but he isn't there yet.

I would agree. I get giving the rook some playing time but India sets the table. All is good, they won anyway. Lets go 3-3 or better this week. Its fun to be a Reds fan when they are successful.

Like I said...

Barreo has no track record yet you want to shake up the left side of your infield with 6 weeks to go in a pennant race...

Last night was a clear indication of Bell's confidence in Barreo. He had Barreo, Stephenson and Moustakas on the bench with the bases loaded. Stephenson got the call.

Barreo may very well turn into a stud but he isn't there yet.
Did you see the catch he made today? All I want is the best eight out there and Suarez isn’t one of the best eight. Obviously I’m not the only one who thinks this way

Did you see the catch he made today? All I want is the best eight out there and Suarez isn’t one of the best eight. Obviously I’m not the only one who thinks this way
True - there are plenty of uninformed folks out there that agree with you. The key is knowing how to define "best eight". It has nothing to do with what they did during a national anthem in the spring, and involves a lot more than batting average.

True - there are plenty of uninformed folks out there that agree with you. The key is knowing how to define "best eight". It has nothing to do with what they did during a national anthem in the spring, and involves a lot more than batting average.
Since you’re such a stat boy why does Suarez have a negative WAR? Is it because he hits the ball so hard?

Barrero looks like an incredibly talented kid and he should be a solid Red for a long time. But he should just be a role player on this team for now. The numbers (and the actual results) make it obvious that the best lineup (when healthy) is:

vs. a Righty
India - 2B
Winker - LF
Castellanos - RF
Votto - 1B
Naquin - CF
Farmer - SS
Suarez - 3B
Barnhart - C

vs. a Lefty
India - 2B
Winker - LF
Castellanos - RF
Votto - 1B
Stephenson - C
Farmer - SS
Suarez - 3B
Aquino - CF (or Senzel if ever healthy)

Since you’re such a stat boy why does Suarez have a negative WAR? Is it because he hits the ball so hard?
I don't have time to explain WAR to you, and you wouldn't understand it any way. You can read about the formula here: https://www.baseball-reference.com/about/war_explained.shtml

Short answer, his terrible batting average is a factor, and all the early season errors at SS are a big factor. But he has been solid at 3B and his offensive production (beyond the BA) are important to the Reds.

4-2 this coming week keeps them in the hunt.
Agreed. 3 @ the Brewers and 3 @ the Marlins. Starting the week facing Burnes and Woodruff is tough.

Padres have 3 with the Dodgers and 3 vs. the Angels.

Gotta keep an eye on the Cards. They get 2 with Detroit and 4 with Pittsburgh.

Senzel was placed back on the IL with fluid on his knee over the weekend. I would imagine his season is done.
The Reds have some great looking young players. The future could be bright.

Senzel was placed back on the IL with fluid on his knee over the weekend. I would imagine his season is done.
The Reds have some great looking young players. The future could be bright.
Senzel has reached Brandon Lawson bust territory

Quit being so gd negative. Give a kid a chance. Not saying hes gonna get it done but give him the opportunity to rectify the situation. At least the chance to trade him for Vlads brother.

Guaranteed that no one feels worse about Senzel's career progress than Nick himself. That year he played 100+ games it was obvious that he has the baseball smarts, athletic ability, and mindset to be a good MLB player. He just needs some luck to stay healthy. I hope for his sake that it happens.

Mahle vs. Burnes tonight. Two guys having great years; hopefully Mahle is sharp.

While a 4-2 week would be great for the Reds, it would be fun to somehow sweep the Brewers and get them doubting themselves a little, and looking over their shoulder.

Quit being so gd negative. Give a kid a chance. Not saying hes gonna get it done but give him the opportunity to rectify the situation. At least the chance to trade him for Vlads brother.
There's no reason to give up on him. Get him healthy and let him compete.

I think we've seen Nick Senzel's last game as a Red. I'm not sure what happened, but he went from being a few days way, to not being, then fluid on the knee to being on the DL again. I think he's pouting because he doesn't have a regular spot in the lineup anymore. Reds will package him in the off season in a trade. He needs to go to team like the Marlins/ Pirates where he can play everyday and rectify his career. Sadly the Reds will get little in return for him.

I think we've seen Nick Senzel's last game as a Red. I'm not sure what happened, but he went from being a few days way, to not being, then fluid on the knee to being on the DL again. I think he's pouting because he doesn't have a regular spot in the lineup anymore. Reds will package him in the off season in a trade. He needs to go to team like the Marlins/ Pirates where he can play everyday and rectify his career. Sadly the Reds will get little in return for him.
So you think he is pouting? That's 100% speculation, and I highly doubt it. And of course you want to trade him at his lowest possible value. Smart.

If we lose Castellanos in the off-season, which seems likely, Senzel is starting in CF on opening day, flanked by Winker and Naquin hopefully. But you want to trade him for nothing. ?‍♂️

I don't think Senzel is going anywhere. Still under 6 years and certainly would not get much of a bump via arbitration.

Lol

Not a chance.

Senzel is cheap and controlled for 4 more seasons. There is no reason to trade him for nothing.

He is hurt. He's not pouting.

You can't play effectively thru injuries in baseball. Let the kid heal up and then compete.

Imagine where this team would be if they had even a decent bullpen. Unreal

And then you lose Antone after 5 pitches. What a disappointment

Imagine where this team would be if they had even a decent bullpen. Unreal

And then you lose Antone after 5 pitches. What a disappointment
I know. Starting pitching and offense on most nights are playoff caliber. It’s a shame the bullpen is so poor.

Caught the Padres before they started the hard part of their schedule - but have to keep it rolling. Cardinals only 3.5 games behind us. Can Milwaukee start to stumble? Peralta on the IL now, perhaps all those innings catch up to their great pitchers?

PS. If Bell does not play Suarez I may think that Zeeyore is Bell. Moose looks lost at the plate and 1-32 with favorable matchups, and zero RBI and zero runs scored. Dumb to keep running him out there.
Moose looking way better at the plate last two games. Hopefully his timing keeps getting better with more reps. Suarez is hopeless.

Moose looking way better at the plate last two games. Hopefully his timing keeps getting better with more reps. Suarez is hopeless.
Yes, Moose is looking better, hope he stays productive. Suarez should sit more if Moose stays productive, but he will bounce back. Guys who were good hitters their whole life just don't forget how to hit.

As for the bullpen - Lorenzen has been beyond good (12 straight scoreless outings) but last night he just did not have it. And Antone is a crusher...

Can anyone explain why Lorenzen was the guy warming up in the 6th inning of a 4-1 game? Mahle had his pitch count up, but Lorenzen has been the late inning guy / closer. Not sure what Bell was thinking. Did not need to burn the best bullpen guy so early in the game, just to face the #7 hitter in the 6th inning. Probably caught Lorenzen off guard too.