The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

In all honesty there has got to be something wrong going on here. .171 avg, 260 OB%, K's one out of three ABs.
Just watch out the next three days, here come the Cards.

Yeah, but it’s stupid to rather play the team with the best staff in Baseball as a matter of pride. That’s so dumb. It reminds me of in 2010 when the Reds were jockeying for seeding in the playoffs and Thom Breneman was like “Bring on the Phillies” and you know what happened? They got no hit by Roy Halladay. Too many sports fans want this fantasy moment of being the underdog and beating the heavy favorite rather than doing what’s best to give your team a chance to win.
Not a single person on this thread said they prefer to play the Dodgers. But please, feel free to continue ranting.

I cannot believe Suarez continues to get at bats when you have Moose, Cabrera and Schrock available
I guess you missed that Moose got hurt again Saturday trying to move 2 steps to miss a grounder, and got pulled early from that game. He is day-to-day.

Cabrera is washed up - at least the various teams that have dumped him the last few years think so. Schrock seems to hit well against righties, a Schrock/Suarez platoon may be the answer for now.

I guess you missed that Moose got hurt again Saturday trying to move 2 steps to miss a grounder, and got pulled early from that game. He is day-to-day.

Cabrera is washed up - at least the various teams that have dumped him the last few years think so. Schrock seems to hit well against righties, a Schrock/Suarez platoon may be the answer for now.
What is Suarez the answer for? Still sniffing his jock I see, sheesh

What is Suarez the answer for? Still sniffing his jock I see, sheesh
I just have to think there is more to his lack of production. Injury? Eyesight? Chemicals?
I thought last year was the aberration due to his shoulder injury but he’s gotten way worse. Mystery

I just have to think there is more to his lack of production. Injury? Eyesight? Chemicals?
I thought last year was the aberration due to his shoulder injury but he’s gotten way worse. Mystery
If you look at his stats when he came to the Reds until last year there is no indication that he would drop as far as he has, seems like a Steve Sax scenario. He has been absolutely clueless at the plate for more than a year. Sometimes people can’t handle guaranteed contracts

If you look at his stats when he came to the Reds until last year there is no indication that he would drop as far as he has, seems like a Steve Sax scenario. He has been absolutely clueless at the plate for more than a year. Sometimes people can’t handle guaranteed contracts
Please don't say "stats". You don't understand them. Say "batting average", that is what is terrible.

Even other simple stats for Suarez (like HR, RBI, Runs are all decent). No one acknowledges that. And I have wasted far too much time trying to explain advanced stats like Barrells per AB and BABIP to people who do not understand them, and don't want to learn about them.

Please don't say "stats". You don't understand them. Say "batting average", that is what is terrible.

Even other simple stats for Suarez (like HR, RBI, Runs are all decent). No one acknowledges that. And I have wasted far too much time trying to explain advanced stats like Barrells per AB and BABIP to people who do not understand them, and don't want to learn about them.
Because nobody cares about them? He makes a lot of outs and you’re love affair with him is getting creepy

Senzel is cheap and controlled for 4 more seasons. There is no reason to trade him for nothing.

He is hurt. He's not pouting.

You can't play effectively thru injuries in baseball. Let the kid heal up and then compete.
Not dissing your opinion, but how do you know he's not pouting? The only reason I say this is because he went from being ready to go - according to the team - to a knee issue - to being put back on the IR. My opinion is that he was told he may see very little playing time, he didn't like it and caused a stink. He's been away from the team for a long time, he does not seem to be around alot of the guys when you hear about the "team" stuff they do.
Our outfield is pretty full, he's not separated himself and won a position, he's been given any and all playing time to date. I just feel a change of scenery would be best for he and the Reds. He's a high draft pick, someone will be willing to take him. He needs to go to a rebuilding team where he can play everyday.

Max Schrock isn't going to take Geno's place. Cabrera isn't going to take Suarez's place. He's hitting against starting lefties and other spots in games where you need a PH.

Granted, he's having a bad year from the average standpoint and striking out. But he's earned the benefit of the doubt, you're paying him a ton of money and he's just going to play.

The disdain for Suarez is kind of amazing. He's one player. We scored 2 runs in 18 innings vs. the Marlins.

Now, we got a nice break with the Pirates beating the Cardinals yesterday. We are a full 3.5 games ahead of the Cards. I'm actually more worried about them catching us than the Padres. But this just comes down to offense. We are not going to the postseason on our defense and pitching. We have to score and score alot to make a postseason run. One of our main issues is when we go into a funk, we don't have any way to manufacture runs. We have little team speed and Bell never starts runners or even tries to play small ball.

We need someone, Castellenos, Votto, Suarez, Naquin, someone or a couple of guys need to get hot the next 5 weeks to bring us home.

I thought Joey and the team let the umpires get to them too much yesterday. Joey has expanded his plate, so who cares if he gets a few bad calls. He should had been in swing mode anyway. One of the biggest keys to his success this season is expanding the strike zone and swinging at the first pitch. Why get so uptight with one bad call. It had grown during the game and we just can't get caught up in that. Our pitchers get borderline calls all the time too.

Saurez stats since the all star break. He won the game with a homer off of Hader right before the break. Hard hit ball I'd imagine.
99 AB, .162/.250/.364 5 hr and 14 rbi.
Put that dude in the lineup. I apologize for being a douche regarding him but I understand the game a little. The hard hit ball stat is no different than the stats I put out. If someone wants to tell me of his last 14 RBI, 10 put the Reds ahead in a game, I'm all in. Until then .162 is .162. Difficult to steal first especially when you strike out one of every three at bats.

Saurez stats since the all star break. He won the game with a homer off of Hader right before the break. Hard hit ball I'd imagine.
Put that dude in the lineup. I apologize for being a douche regarding him but I understand the game a little. The hard hit ball stat is no different than the stats I put out. If someone wants to tell me of his last 14 RBI, 10 put the Reds ahead in a game, I'm all in. Until then .162 is .162. Difficult to steal first especially when you strike out one of every three at bats.
Who would you replace him with?

It's the end of August, there aren't a lot of options out there.

Not dissing your opinion, but how do you know he's not pouting? The only reason I say this is because he went from being ready to go - according to the team - to a knee issue - to being put back on the IR. My opinion is that he was told he may see very little playing time, he didn't like it and caused a stink. He's been away from the team for a long time, he does not seem to be around alot of the guys when you hear about the "team" stuff they do.
Our outfield is pretty full, he's not separated himself and won a position, he's been given any and all playing time to date. I just feel a change of scenery would be best for he and the Reds. He's a high draft pick, someone will be willing to take him. He needs to go to a rebuilding team where he can play everyday.
We know he isn't pouting and actually injured because the Reds medical staff has told us.

Who would you replace him with?

It's the end of August, there aren't a lot of options out there.
Who's trying to make a name for himself or get a contract. Barrero or Cabrera come to mind? I agree there are not any options. Just disappointed watching the effort he gives. I get it, a rookie and a guy released by everyone. I guess hope he has a great September.

I will admit to being wrong. Not saurez fault. I would say they are close to being finished. One hit through 6 plus against a washed up Lester. 2nd and 3rd with one out against another lefty versus our exit velocity guy and we get a one hopper to third. Teams are killing them with leftys because Naquin was on fire and before that Votto against RHP. Farmer with a bomb and a 2b and nothing else. Winker is not hitting lhp. Oh well, it was fun being in the hunt.

Aquino vs LHP-.127/.210/.268 over his last 30 games and Senzel was in Lville.
The Cards are in their clubhouse laughing their rearends off at the this. Two hitter.

Last edited:
Suarez has been very subpar, but until Moose gets/stays healthy he is the best option at 3B. The entire offense is in a funk now, 1 run 3 games in a row, and only 2 hits each of the last 2 games. Everyone except Naquin has struggled the last week plus. When is Winker back - anyone heard?

Gotta get this turned around. Cardinals worry me more than the Padres.

I will admit to being wrong. Not saurez fault. I would say they are close to being finished. One hit through 6 plus against a washed up Lester. 2nd and 3rd with one out against another lefty versus our exit velocity guy and we get a one hopper to third. Teams are killing them with leftys because Naquin was on fire and before that Votto against RHP. Farmer with a bomb and a 2b and nothing else. Winker is not hitting lhp. Oh well, it was fun being in the hunt.
LOL. Giving Zeeyore a run for his money on negativity. They still hold the last WC spot and you think they are finished? If they were 3-4 games behind I might say that. The only way they are finished would be if the players had a quitter's mentality like you.

Starting pitching has been excellent. We know the offense can produce - this is just baseball - teams have cold stretches. They need to snap out of it really soon.

LOL. Giving Zeeyore a run for his money on negativity. They still hold the last WC spot and you think they are finished? If they were 3-4 games behind I might say that. The only way they are finished would be if the players had a quitter's mentality like you.

Starting pitching has been excellent. We know the offense can produce - this is just baseball - teams have cold stretches. They need to snap out of it really soon.
What can i say? We both attended the same HS, as did our children. Athletic excellence is pushed there and mostly achieved. "Quitters mentality", name calling like the rest of this board. Go figure.

The Reds are in a great position to win the 2nd WC.

Ok, understood. But whom else are you going to put there? Max Schrock? I mean at some point you just sink or swim with the guys who you built your team around. And we can discuss his 2021 stats until we are blue in the face. But today is today, yesterday doesn't matter. We do that with pitchers all the time. At any given at bat, Suarez can put it out of the park. He's still an average to above average 3rd baseman and I think you ride or die with him. Moustakas is broken down. He's been hurt no less than 3 times this season.

What can i say? We both attended the same HS, as did our children. Athletic excellence is pushed there and mostly achieved. "Quitters mentality", name calling like the rest of this board. Go figure.
Remember now PRO, wolves is a baseball God

It's called being realistic and not a jock sniffer like you. The Reds are an above average team and it will probably come down to the last days of the season. Barella should be playing every day, this is invaluable experience for a player that will soon be your starting SS. Suarez should not see the field in the last 30 games

It's called being realistic and not a jock sniffer like you. The Reds are an above average team and it will probably come down to the last days of the season. Barella should be playing every day, this is invaluable experience for a player that will soon be your starting SS. Suarez should not see the field in the last 30 games
Realistic?

The team has the 4th best record in the NL. Do they have some flaws? Absolutely. Bullpen; injuries to Winker, Senzel and Antone; lack of expected production from Suarez, Moose, Aquino, Shogo. But they have the 4th best record in the NL.

Saying they are finished is not being realistic. It is being a typical fan who panics at the smallest sign of a team slump.