Summer Olympics

I sort of get the sport, but it doesn’t do it for me. In college, the club team was just an excuse for the members to drink heavily after their matches.
There's three forms of rugby. The rugby played in the Olympics is 7's. Google it and the other forms.

Rugby union is the form most people are familiar with. Rugby league, or chicken rugby as the union players call it, is less physical than Union. 7's is an offshoot of league. Union is what's played at World Cup and Six Nations. Think All Blacks from New Zealand and the haka.

OK, for some reason I thought it was because today they fill it with fluff and inspiring "stories".
Being an old fart I remember way back when and the ratings were sliding and the speculation was the public wasnt connecting with the athletes and went the way of having more features, more inspiring stories so viewers would take more notice.

I watch a decent amount of the Olympics but I will flip from the 3-4 different channels that has things I may be interested in

Part of the attraction of the Olympic games is that people see sports they've never seen, or rarely see. I've seen sports that I never knew existed in the Olympics. I actually saw that rock-climbing is a sport. And not the real, outdoor rock climbing, but the fake rock climbing walls you see at the YMCA or Rec centers!!! Hilarious!!
There's gonna be some kid at some fun center climbing the indoor rock climbing set up telling his mom "look mom I'm an Olympian". For ^&*'s sake.

Part of the attraction of the Olympic games is that people see sports they've never seen, or rarely see. I've seen sports that I never knew existed in the Olympics. I actually saw that rock-climbing is a sport. And not the real, outdoor rock climbing, but the fake rock climbing walls you see at the YMCA or Rec centers!!! Hilarious!!
Is "smear the queer" an Olympic sport yet? We played it every day at recess in 8th grade. Wally was unstoppable...he could have won an Olympic Gold Medal.

As for the fluff, human interest stuff, skateboarding and other different sports, NBC is merely trying to cater to the masses.

If it was up to me we'd all see boxing, basketball, baseball, golf and track and field.

Interesting fact I learned from TV and the Internet regarding US Marathoner Molly Seidle: Although she's a very accomplished collegiate distance runner, her first marathon was in the 2020 Olympic Trials. She finished 2nd.

Bottom of the 4th inning, Japan up 1-0, bases loaded, 2 out, Japan has a .154 hitter come to the plate. You've seen this movie. sigh.

India might go nuts.

Javelin has fascinated me since I was a kid. What other sports has to wait for the skinny freaks they're hunting to get out the way? The announcers here are a hoot. Steve Cram, who is really insightful and colorful on track, maybe a bit shy on understanding in field. Everytime he says something, the lady Auzzie then says clearly why he's wrong. It's hilarious.

Last edited:
Watching Spain Brazil gold medal soccer match. Brazil scores as extra time expires at the half. While watching Brazil hold tryouts for their diving team I thought about red cards. How would it be if the offended team had a choice? Send the offending player off or be awarded a PK.

when your .371 hitting goes full count without a swing, fouls off three..... this game is tense. NBC TV showing France-wannabe Russia V-Ball and wonders why they're rating stink.

Last edited:
I've been trying to rap my head around rugby. Don't understand it.

Dread the idea of a sport with 3 billion fanatical fans becoming an Olympic sport and then we're required to not only understand it, but develop leagues for it: cricket.

eh, if flipping and spinning into water is a sport, I suppose flipping and spinning with a board or bike into concrete is a sport.

Personally, I'm thinking equestrian needs to step it up a notch.
When such a small % of the population competes and then the winner is crowned by arbitrary judges I detest the "sport."

The two bronze medalists of any wrestling bracket have put by far more time and effort and blood, sweat, and tears into their craft than a skateboarder. And the wrestler is decided on the mat.

When such a small % of the population competes and then the winner is crowned by arbitrary judges I detest the "sport."

The two bronze medalists of any wrestling bracket have put by far more time and effort and blood, sweat, and tears into their craft than a skateboarder. And the wrestler is decided on the mat.
There's not a huge percent of people wrestling TBH. I prefer the mano-a-mano to the judged sports almost anyday but flying above concrete is not to be sneezed at. Respects to both.

I wouldn't know if one puts in more blood, sweat and tears over the other. As far as injury rates, rugby is a clear winner. As percent of participants, wrestling is lower than I would have thought. As far as pure numbers, bicycle and skateboard are far above wrestling, due to the shear numbers of participants (not counting what goes on a the bars).

Injuries in New Olympic Sports
bjsports-2020-February-54-3-168-F1.large.jpg
bjsports-2020-February-54-3-168-F2.large.jpg

Last edited:
Japan's gold medal count sits at 27, three previous Summer Olympics combined the Japs won 26. The way the Japs are defending their territory in sports it was probably a good idea to nuke them at the end of WW2 instead of invading their country.
It’s usually a smart move for the host to throw a ton of money at funding their athlete. In normal years it’d have a big economic impact as it’d naturally draw more attention and excitement. I really wish Tokyo could’ve hosted in normal times so we would’ve seen the culture and excitement.

The Olympics have been much better than I anticipated. Refreshing to see Old Glory be the focus. Congratulations to all the Athletes that represented the USA in that fashion.

Last edited: