The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

You do realize that Kyle Farmer is one of the best hitters in baseball since the AS break??
And the Reds bullpen had a stretch about as long where they were one of the better pens in baseball.

Does anyone believe that group should be pitching on a contending team?

It's great that Farmer is playing well but don't act like he is something he is not.

Could you imagine if Votto had not had this better run he's been on the last few months the cries for Schrock to play?

Maybe our bench isn't so bad after all?

Saturday's loss was a killer, we went 5-2 last week and gained one game on SD in the wild card.
You'd be the only calling for Schrock.

Just in time, I like Aquino, but he's not an everyday major leaguer. We're playing real well with an MVP candidate who's not been with us for several weeks. Votto, NL player of the month. Kyle Farmer had to be in the running too.
Come on, Aquino had a great month 2 years ago
He should be an everyday starter.

Calm down - a 5-2 week is never a killer in baseball. Gaining a game a week is exactly the goal. That puts the Reds in the playoffs at the end of the year. Reds just need to keep playing good ball and every week that is 5-2 is a great week. Castellanos took live BP this weekend!
I'd happy if the Reds are within 3 games of the Padres by Sept. 1.

I'd happy if the Reds are within 3 games of the Padres by Sept. 1.
I agree - it would make the games fun to stay in contention. But hopefully we can get a little closer than that.

Next 2 weeks Padres have 2 with Oakland, then a bunch of "easier" games with Arizona, Colorado and Miami. Having said that, they just lost 2 of 3 to the Rockies without Tatis. After that, the bulk of their schedule is tough, lots of games with Dodgers, Giants, Astros, Angels. Reds have a decidedly easier schedule in Sept, but we have to keep playing good ball.

Cool, he is not the future SS for the Reds though and this year is toast, may as well bring up the future kid as he is ripping up AAA

Seriously - 4 games out of the wild card is "toast"? Man you must not be able to enjoy anything.

Reds are right in the hunt. Dig into that coin purse and spend a little extra on a service that carries Bally Sports so you can watch the games. It's been a fun season and promises to get even more interesting. We also use YouTube TV, but for less than $30 a month I got Spectrum's streaming service so I can see my Reds and Blue Jackets games. Way better than 95% of the crap cable channels on YT.

PS. It does suck that Bally only has about 6 commercials and they run them over and over again. I just leave the room.

I agree - it would make the games fun to stay in contention. But hopefully we can get a little closer than that.

Next 2 weeks Padres have 2 with Oakland, then a bunch of "easier" games with Arizona, Colorado and Miami. Having said that, they just lost 2 of 3 to the Rockies without Tatis. After that, the bulk of their schedule is tough, lots of games with Dodgers, Giants, Astros, Angels. Reds have a decidedly easier schedule in Sept, but we have to keep playing good ball.
I'd love to see them within 2 by September 1 but i think the Padres will win at a very high clip in August.

September should be primed for an exciting finish!

Seriously - 4 games out of the wild card is "toast"? Man you must not be able to enjoy anything.

Reds are right in the hunt. Dig into that coin purse and spend a little extra on a service that carries Bally Sports so you can watch the games. It's been a fun season and promises to get even more interesting. We also use YouTube TV, but for less than $30 a month I got Spectrum's streaming service so I can see my Reds and Blue Jackets games. Way better than 95% of the crap cable channels on YT.

PS. It does suck that Bally only has about 6 commercials and they run them over and over again. I just leave the room.
I doubt I could sit through an entire MLB game ??

you can sure biotch and moan about them though. lol all good. your a good sport, not very smart, but still a good sport.

btw, what did you do to EP? you were his punching bag for so long.

jtk
()

2 against the Twins and 4 against the Pirates. Seems like minimum for this week should be 4-2. Anything less is a disappointment. Love to see the Reds go 5-1.

Nick Castellenos was reported taking BP Sunday, and taking it very well....how long before you stick him back in there? I see he's not in today's lineup, but Max Schrock is!

once again Bell puts in the same pitcher and once again the REDS blow a 9th inning lead.....

This team flat out cannot win at home.

that is hembree's first blown save this year. i think lorenzen needs to pitch the 9th, but it isn't the same pitcher blowing a 9th inning lead.

jtk
()

Does anybody really think this is a playoff team? A third basemen stuck on I 74, a SS who is a career back up, no closer or set up men. It’s a miracle this team is above .500

that is hembree's first blown save this year. i think lorenzen needs to pitch the 9th, but it isn't the same pitcher blowing a 9th inning lead.

jtk
()
I recall a KC game in early July where Hembree blew the save and took the L. He has been mostly reliable, but there is a reason he has never closed before. You stick a guy with a 5+ ERA and career 1.35 WHIP in the closer role, you are playing with fire. He needed yanked after 3 batters last night.

I do agree with using Lorenzen in that role, and we desperately need Sims and Antone back.

Mark Aug. 3 as the date that may have turned the season away. The Twins are 45-62, and they've got rid of some of their best players. Tyler Mahle does his thing and runs his pitch count up to 95 pitches through only 5 innings. That makes you use the bullpen for 4 innings. What's the odds of our bullpen holding a 1 run lead for 4 innings?? Very slim.

So you run out Heath Hembree, who's been not very good the past 4 outings. He WALKS the first two batters he faces, both hitting under .200.

Got a strikeout, then on his 29th pitch...his 29th PITCH of the inning, gives up a 3 run homer. Hembree looks exhausted last night, even before he made his first pitch.
The only silver lining is that the Pirates actually beat the Brewers. The Padres did win so we lost a game on them in the wild card.

And another thing...

It's bad enough that the bullpen keeps getting us beat, but then stinkin' David Bell, in the presser afterwards never, EVER criticizes a player? I honestly think he'll put Hembree back in there in the 9th if he gets a chance!! He simply does not adjust. Do you think any of the players are worried about their jobs will Bell??? The man has ZERO energy, his pregame/ postgame comments puts me to sleep... and he's supposed to motivate players???

jtk
()
I recall a KC game in early July where Hembree blew the save and took the L. He has been mostly reliable, but there is a reason he has never closed before. You stick a guy with a 5+ ERA and career 1.35 WHIP in the closer role, you are playing with fire. He needed yanked after 3 batters last night.

I do agree with using Lorenzen in that role, and we desperately need Sims and Antone back.
The Reds have 3 maybe 4 reliable relievers. The starters have to go 6+ every game or this team is in trouble.

The Reds have 3 maybe 4 reliable relievers. The starters have to go 6+ every game or this team is in trouble.
Indian, I completely understand what you are saying. But I think you have to look at trends. Hembree has not pitched well the last week and half. Lorenzen is back, and you traded for 3 bullpen arms who are at least comparable to what we have. Now I understand that Bell is loyal to the guys he's had an I get that, but it's just maddening to see him struggle and know it's going to happen before he steps on the mound.

The way Jose Barreo is playing, I see no reason he's not our starting shortstop in '22, and I like Kyle Farmer. Farmer has a place on this team though, too much flexibility.

jtk
()

Who pitched the 9th in NY before Doolittle came in and gave up the run?

And another thing...

It's bad enough that the bullpen keeps getting us beat, but then stinkin' David Bell, in the presser afterwards never, EVER criticizes a player? I honestly think he'll put Hembree back in there in the 9th if he gets a chance!! He simply does not adjust. Do you think any of the players are worried about their jobs will Bell??? The man has ZERO energy, his pregame/ postgame comments puts me to sleep... and he's supposed to motivate players???
What does criticizing a player to the media achieve?