Beachwood and St.Thomas cancelling seasons?

PeterBlack

nothing official yet I suppose, but this would leave some teams scrambling to fill open dates. Could be possible that those 2 teams losing that week could create some interesting match-ups.

possibles

Week1 Struthers/Orange

2 Danville/John Marshall

3 Carrolton/Kirtland

4 ? /Trinity

5 Mogadore/Crestwood

6 Rootstown/Cardinal

7 Cambridge/Harvey

8 Warrren JFK/Hawken

9 Southeast/Berkshire

10 Canton CC/Grand Valley

How is a D5 public school that has gone 14-4 the last 2 years unable to field a team? I get why St. Thomas can't, but Beachwood makes no sense.

nothing official yet I suppose, but this would leave some teams scrambling to fill open dates. Could be possible that those 2 teams losing that week could create some interesting match-ups.

possibles

Week1 Struthers/Orange

2 Danville/John Marshall

3 Carrolton/Kirtland

4 ? /Trinity

5 Mogadore/Crestwood

6 Rootstown/Cardinal

7 Cambridge/Harvey

8 Warrren JFK/Hawken

9 Southeast/Berkshire

10 Canton CC/Grand Valley
I spy six blowouts.

I can’t imagine Beachwood cancelling, and certainly not before August. I know their coach left and all, but it only takes about 15-18 boys to comfortably field a varsity team. With 60-70 boys per grade, that should be pretty doable.

How is orange? I have no clue. I remember watching them on tape a few years ago get blown out but I forget the opponent.
Orange only got to play five games due to COVID, but I got to see them play against Lakeside last year. Pretty high scoring game that they lost 43-40. Even though they went winless, and likely would not have beaten Lake Catholic, they lost three of their five games by a possession or less.

They're not world-beaters, but they're not a terrible team either.

What's going on at Beachwood? They had probably their best two-year stretch in school history. I can't see them NOT being able to field a team. If this is even true, then that's not good.

I think that STA will find at least 18-20 kids. Can't see them not fielding a team either. They'll be short on depth, but they won't not field a team.

Orange only got to play five games due to COVID, but I got to see them play against Lakeside last year. Pretty high scoring game that they lost 43-40. Even though they went winless, and likely would not have beaten Lake Catholic, they lost three of their five games by a possession or less.

They're not world-beaters, but they're not a terrible team either.
They lost to Ashtabula lakeside?

It's doesn't sound like the school is very interested in fielding a team, which seems like why the previous coach left and why they are having a hard time finding a new coach.

I posted this in the Beachwood coaching search thread>

From someone in the know>

Numbers are low with significant transfers out; have not heard of anything related to cancelling the season though.

Also.

By the way same source also said former Creel really didn't do the recruiting for the football team thus he was kept by the admin when that (recruiting) situation came up a few years back, it was the football parents that went out and actively got kids from other schools to transfer in. Interesting in that how do you penalize a public school when there is no $ trail or employee of the school involved in securing the talent? Now maybe Creel should have policed his program a little better but then again a nice QB and LB turn an OK Div V team into a playoff team over night so just turn your head and keep that train on the tracks...

It's doesn't sound like the school is very interested in fielding a team, which seems like why the previous coach left and why they are having a hard time finding a new coach.
Why do you say they wouldn't be interested in fielding a team? Seems odd that after two straight appearances in the playoffs, and a decent run last year, that they would just say pack it in....

I can't imagine STA canceling the season this early, although I could see it happening later in the year. From what I have heard they did hire a new coach, but the numbers are extremely low, and there will be a lot of freshman playing up. I would think they will find enough to start the year, but I don't know how they will make it through ten weeks, and if they do I wouldn't imagine they will be very competitive.

Based upon what? A lot of people on here have absolutely no idea what transpired with Coach Cook and some players. The school did the right thing 100% as a Catholic school. A lot of things are much more important than football. The program should be more than fine long term. I, as a supporter and a tuition paying parent, am completely fine with stinking for a year or so in football. It is not a big deal to me. Other things are a big deal to me.

Last edited:
Based upon what? A lot of people on here have absolutely no idea what transpired with Coach Cook and some players. The school did the right thing 100% as a Catholic school. A lot of things are much more important than football. The program should be more than fine long term. I, as a supporter and a tuition paying parent, am completely fine with stinking for a year or so in football. It is not a big deal to me. Other things are a big deal to me.

100% agree... if you can do so without naming names or getting too specific, please provide a little more detail on to shoot down these rumors and innuendo.

All I heard was that Cook really put STA in a bad spot and kind of scr3wed them over....sad given that he was an Aquinas alum and the school had bent over backwards to keep him employed full-time in the school too (first giving him an Athletic Director position that he might not have been capable of handling...then giving him other jobs in the school when he couldn't do the AD job effectively).

STA's first duty is to be a top-notch Catholic and academic school...that can be done while still building a good football (and other sports) program. It's not an either/or proposition.

I hear very good things about the new STA principal and football coach.

100% agree... if you can do so without naming names or getting too specific, please provide a little more detail on to shoot down these rumors and innuendo.

All I heard was that Cook really put STA in a bad spot and kind of scr3wed them over....sad given that he was an Aquinas alum and the school had bent over backwards to keep him employed full-time in the school too (first giving him an Athletic Director position that he might not have been capable of handling...then giving him other jobs in the school when he couldn't do the AD job effectively).

STA's first duty is to be a top-notch Catholic and academic school...that can be done while still building a good football (and other sports) program. It's not an either/or proposition.

I hear very good things about the new STA principal and football coach.

All I can do is to let you know that posters commenting on this issue have absolutely no idea what they are talking about as to the reasons behind the situation. They are free to speculate all they want as many do on Yappi football threads. Aquinas acted properly and is completely on the correct side of the issue. Without naming names, others are not on the right side of things and I wish them good luck. Aquinas is overall in the best shape it has been in a while. The football program will be fine long term. The more important things in the school are moving forward in the right direction.

Last edited:
You think everything will be fine??!!
What about those 3 or 4 seniors who absolutely love football, Friday nights, the teammates, the fans, etc?!?!
If the season in canceled, it’s not FINE!!! They’ve been waiting for this season for 5 or 6 years!!
Let me be more clear...
High school to one person is completely different to another person.
For one person it’s student council, another is homecoming court, another is NHS, another is plays and acting, another is boyfriends or girlfriends, another is band, one gets to do morning announcements, prom, etc,,,,,
and for those 3 or 4 seniors, it’s this football season.

Last edited:
Here is the latest on Beachwood:

• As stated earlier their numbers are really low and their admin does not have the interest to throw more than normal resources at this program to beef it up. While not looking at cancelling the season it is on a razors edge; as of now they will be backing out of three games and going with a 7 game schedule.
  • They canceled the opener against Orange to give the team more time to get their footing.
  • They canceled the Kirtland game due to their inability to compete physically with this state powerhouse.
  • They cancelled the Harvey game due to a recent anti-Semitic incidents when playing this school.
They were considering cancelling the Harvey game before Creel left and are also reviewing the status of competing against Harvey in other sports. Not sure about the particulars of the incidents but I was told they were significant and the Harvey folks have not done much to put a kibosh on it.

It’s not right, though, that you get hosed if you are attending a public school and they cancel your season... and your family is unable to move.

It’s not right, though, that you get hosed if you are attending a public school and they cancel your season... and your family is unable to move.
Going into the 2014-15 wrestling season. A school in our district lost their coach due to military deployment. For whatever reason they did not have an asst. coach and could not hire someone in time to run the team for that season. The SCHSL and our region voted favorably to allow the kids from that team to join with our wrestling team for that season. We picked up an additional 6-7 kids, 4 of which became huge assets to our line up and really helped us out that season in dual matches.

Unfortunately after that season the region and the SCHSL said 5A schools (which we are and the school that the kids came is too) could not combine efforts going forward (I guess nobody thought we'd be that good with the "hired guns"). 1A, 2A and 3A schools can still combine down here but only if it's in the same district.

I know in Montana and Nebraska a lot of the smaller rural schools (which is to say most of the state haha) allows combined athletic efforts known as "co-op teams".