Northwest Ohio Realignment

Where have you been and how many times do you need this explained to you?

I have no idea where this beef is coming from sir lol you need a beer or something.

I’m stunned because Whitmer only has one true peer in NW Ohio, and that’s Central. The Panthers will probably win this league 7 of 10 seasons at least. Their program is head and shoulders above everyone in this league.

I imagine they’ll shed Napoleon and go to a 10 team league with these additions. Regardless you’ll still have to go thru Central and SJJ in the postseason so not much gained really by this move to the NLL, especially with Whitmer coming as well

What’s the expected split gonna look like? Do they split if 10 teams?

If it goes to 10, they would never split. Just play 8 league games and miss out on one team every year. Odd numbers are tough to manage because you're going to have "bye weeks" that need to be filled somehow.

Right now, my guess is the split is:
Whitmer
Findlay
AW
Perrysburg
Northview
‐---------------------
Springfield
Southview
Napoleon
BG
Fremont
Clay

Phone can ring for the Fort Wayne Catholics, but no one's answering.

They're in the 10 team, full round robin SAC with a 9 game schedule. There's no room.

They already have Northview on the schedule. Adding Whitmer to their conference might have been interesting. We'll give them back that piece of Ohio for the Upper. At least enough to get lake access.

I have no idea where this beef is coming from sir lol you need a beer or something.

I’m stunned because Whitmer only has one true peer in NW Ohio, and that’s Central. The Panthers will probably win this league 7 of 10 seasons at least. Their program is head and shoulders above everyone in this league.

I imagine they’ll shed Napoleon and go to a 10 team league with these additions. Regardless you’ll still have to go thru Central and SJJ in the postseason so not much gained really by this move to the NLL, especially with Whitmer coming as well

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about

If Whitmer got left in the cold, I do wonder if there would have been any possibility of Whitmer getting into Bedford's league. Probably not, but it would have been interesting.

So, what happens from here? Does this league get to 12 with Napoleon and BG staying while I assume adding Lima, or does it contract to 10 with one of those schools leaving, or both of them leaving with Lima being added as the 10th? Unless there's a NWOAL implosion those would seem to be the only possible scenarios IMO.

If Whitmer got left in the cold, I do wonder if there would have been any possibility of Whitmer getting into Bedford's league. Probably not, but it would have been interesting.

So, what happens from here? Does this league get to 12 with Napoleon and BG staying while I assume adding Lima, or does it contract to 10 with one of those schools leaving, or both of them leaving with Lima being added as the 10th? Unless there's a NWOAL implosion those would seem to be the only possible scenarios IMO.

If they get to 12, it won't be Lima. There is almost no chance that Perrysburg/AW/Sylvania will go for that.

My guess is it's Defiance to 12 or if the NWOAL implodes, it's Defiance/Wauseon/Bryan to 14 with crossovers or a 5 game schedule with a Week 10 "Championship" in each division. I just don't see any other teams that the conference would add (other than begging Maumee to come back in the 2 years they've got to do so). There just aren't any other schools within the size, demographic, and travel range that the NLL is looking for. Rossford wouldn't be entirely out of left field if the small division is Southview, BG, Napoleon, Ross, and Clay, but even that is pretty farfetched. It kind of seems like Defiance or bust now.

Either way, Napoleon and BG are only staying if there is a divisional format figured out, otherwise, theyre outta here.

Could they do a 6 game league schedule with a Week 10 Championship game to try to hide the odd number in Week 10? There's just no way an 11 team conference will work, and by that thread, a 9 team conference won't either.

I dont think Bedford is an option or at all interested. I may be wrong, but I think OHSAA now has a bylaw in place restricting intrastate conferences, and Bedford would want nothing to do with joining a more difficult conference when they can get their 5 wins where they're at currently for MHSAA playoffs.

I can't see Defiance leaving the WBL for this league to be the 12th member. I think the only way that's even a serious discussion is if you have the NWOAL schools to go to 14 or 16, meaning that that league implodes leaving them needing to find a new home.

If they get to 12, it won't be Lima. There is almost no chance that Perrysburg/AW/Sylvania will go for that.

My guess is it's Defiance to 12 or if the NWOAL implodes, it's Defiance/Wauseon/Bryan to 14 with crossovers or a 5 game schedule with a Week 10 "Championship" in each division. I just don't see any other teams that the conference would add (other than begging Maumee to come back in the 2 years they've got to do so). There just aren't any other schools within the size, demographic, and travel range that the NLL is looking for. Rossford wouldn't be entirely out of left field if the small division is Southview, BG, Napoleon, Ross, and Clay, but even that is pretty farfetched. It kind of seems like Defiance or bust now.

Either way, Napoleon and BG are only staying if there is a divisional format figured out, otherwise, theyre outta here.

Could they do a 6 game league schedule with a Week 10 Championship game to try to hide the odd number in Week 10? There's just no way an 11 team conference will work, and by that thread, a 9 team conference won't either.

I dont think Bedford is an option or at all interested. I may be wrong, but I think OHSAA now has a bylaw in place restricting intrastate conferences, and Bedford would want nothing to do with joining a more difficult conference when they can get their 5 wins where they're at currently for MHSAA playoffs.
I agree with your comments. There are a number of school along Ohio river that are in leagues with WV schools so that wouldn't stop Bedford from joining. Still don't think they will.

This is well written! However, I see 0% chance Defiance leaves one of the most secure and respected conferences around. Yes, the travel is long, but how many new conferences recently last very long? I do agree, the NWOAL will be the next dominos.

Last edited:
I agree with your comments. There are a number of school along Ohio river that are in leagues with WV schools so that wouldn't stop Bedford from joining. Still don't think they will.
Bedford certainly fits but they have been down that road most of their existence as they were members of the old GLL. I just do not see them leaving the fairly stable SEC South. It would be nice though.

Week 10 championship is impossible by OHSAA rules. It's the big reason Edon and Hilltop joined the TRAC from the SCAA in Michigan. At least at that time, if the game was scheduled as opponent TBA, the OHSAA would treat it as no game. I believe Edon missed the playoffs one year because of it when they would have made it with the win.

Maybe that changed, but there's definitely a reason no multi division leagues play cross division title games.

Week 10 championship is impossible by OHSAA rules. It's the big reason Edon and Hilltop joined the TRAC from the SCAA in Michigan. At least at that time, if the game was scheduled as opponent TBA, the OHSAA would treat it as no game. I believe Edon missed the playoffs one year because of it when they would have made it with the win.

Maybe that changed, but there's definitely a reason no multi division leagues play cross division title games.

Exactly...which is why 11 just won't work. Theyve got to get to an even number, and I don't think they'll be able to find equilibrium at 10 (Napoleon leaving at BG staying).

Exactly...which is why 11 just won't work. Theyve got to get to an even number, and I don't think they'll be able to find equilibrium at 10 (Napoleon leaving at BG staying).

11 could work though. 6 or 8 game league schedule (likely 8), can either go with the previous year's standings or size to determine who doesn't play.

But while I don't think it's a slam dunk Napoleon leaves, I do think they end up in the NWOAL sooner than later. Whether BG leaves or not.

With any odd number someone is playing a nonleague game every week, and who you end up playing weeks, 8, 9, 10 could be a lot worse match up and a lot farther away than Lima.

Yeah...I just don't think there will be enough schools able to swallow their pride and add them. Truthfully, with their size now, it won't even be PB/NV/AW playing them...so will Napoleon, BG, Clay, and Fremont be happy throwing Lima on their schedule by choice rather than by necessity, especially when two of those schools likely will have another option of conference staring them in the face in a year? I feel like it's either going to 12 or they're going to be completely screwed at 9 teams.

It is discouraging that the NLL turned down Lima Sr. on the front end. Tough to walk that back and say we "need" you to fill a gap even though I'm sure Lima Sr. would jump at the opportunity. The NLL, at the very least should invite Lima Sr. for football only. And at the very very least the former TRAC members should not turn their back on the Spartans and still schedule them on their open weeks past week 4.

The remaining private schools would probably be best served trying to work something out with the Detroit Catholic League at this point. Being an independent private school that can openly recruit is/will be a scheduling nightmare. The big private schools, like the Catholic schools from Cleveland and Cincinnati can manage because they still have a decent Catholic base and numbers (Eds 700+ boys, Iggy 1000+ boys, St. X 1000+ boys, etc.) while the Toledo private schools are waning (SF & SJ 400+ boys, CCHS 220 boys). The current voucher program propelled this situation but the bottom line is Toledo is rapidly losing talent and people and the pie that everyone is fighting over (students = revenue) is shrinking to the point of, for some perhaps, unsustainability.

This will make for some interesting playoff games, with unbeaten 1 and 2 seeds facing 6-4/5-5 TCC and SJJ teams that can beat them in the early rounds.