WILL ALEX MARINELLI COME BACK TO IOWA???

The Iowa boards say he broke a rib in Qtrs
140052524_ScreenShot2021-03-20at10_00_48AM.png.d5ac5d7b64eb3aa11d3fe47590369afa.png

Eierman? Isn't he like 30? Someone please que the Tommy Boy "yeah... They're called doctors" GIF. I'm not smart enough for that

Eierman? Isn't he like 30? Someone please que the Tommy Boy "yeah... They're called doctors" GIF. I'm not smart enough for that

I know of a few guys who play football that had a RS year, medical RS year, four years of playing and now a free year for next year if they decide they want to continue. That would be 7 years on scholarship. Hopefully they'd have multiple degrees by then

I know of a few guys who play football that had a RS year, medical RS year, four years of playing and now a free year for next year if they decide they want to continue. That would be 7 years on scholarship. Hopefully they'd have multiple degrees by then
Same scenario, except Eierman took an Olympic redshirt instead of medical. He will be 25 by the end of THIS school year ?

My son started as a freshman then had a medical redshirt last year and this was a free year. He will be a 22 year old redshirt Sophomore next year. He could still use a redshirt year if needed. He may well be 24 or so when done. lol and oh he is younger than some in his grade. The great part about it is his senior year high school he did College Credit Plus so he will have his undergrad this coming year and then will start his Masters Program.

Last edited:
You could see him touch his stomach and grimace after the match and there it is.
Thanks Said.
Rumor out of State College, the bull broke a rib punching a wall.....or something.

Punched a wall
That sounds like him...I heard he was a hot head....not sure if it was true
Awesome trolling. Got me to respond...:sneaky:

My son started as a freshman then had a medical redshirt last year and this was a free year. He will be a 22 year old redshirt Sophomore next year. He could still use a redshirt year if needed. He may well be 24 or so when done. lol and oh he is younger than some in his grade. The great part about it is his senior year high school he did College Credit Plus so he will have his undergrad this coming year and then will start his Masters Program.
Your son should consider becoming a Mormon. That way, he could compete in college until darn near 30 years old!

Last edited:
I would say that guys that love wrestling and competing should come back if they are given another year of eligibility. This was not really much of a season at all, and someone like Marinelli has to try again to get that championship, or he would likely regret it for a long time. You have to believe his wife is fully supporting him in that opportunity. Why have regrets unless you are certain you are no longer in love with the sport - and even then, I would advise those athletes to give it some time before deciding if they bowed out of this tourney without reaching their goal.

Rumor out of State College, the bull broke a rib punching a wall.....or something.

Awesome trolling. Got me to respond...:sneaky:

Your son should consider becoming a Mormon. That way, he could compete in college until darn near 30 years old!

I wouldn't say trolling. It was all over social media from people at the tournament and it was discussed on the Iowa wrestling message boards. I feel for the guy as he has been one of the best to never win the title. Whether he comes back or not, he has had a great career.

Serious question, with only 9.9 scholarships most top tier wrestlers aren't getting 100% full ride. When athletes are staying in school for 6 years or now even 7, how are they financing their education? If tuition + R&B at a school like tOSU adds up to $24k ish, say a 3x Ohio HS state champ gets a 30% scholly wrestling, and maybe another 20% academic $$, imagine graduating after 6 years being a D1 scholarship athlete and owing $60k in student loans? Crazy...

Serious question, with only 9.9 scholarships most top tier wrestlers aren't getting 100% full ride. When athletes are staying in school for 6 years or now even 7, how are they financing their education? If tuition + R&B at a school like tOSU adds up to $24k ish, say a 3x Ohio HS state champ gets a 30% scholly wrestling, and maybe another 20% academic $$, imagine graduating after 6 years being a D1 scholarship athlete and owing $60k in student loans? Crazy...

I believe the short answer to your question is....they will have to finance their education the same way non-scholarship athletes at more expensive DIII schools have done for decades....with part-time jobs and student loans.

Some colleges give free tuition to employees, their spouses, and their children...does Iowa do this? If so, he doesn’t need a scholarship and it only helps the team.

Some colleges give free tuition to employees, their spouses, and their children...does Iowa do this? If so, he doesn’t need a scholarship and it only helps the team.
Iowa does not do that. I am sure Alex gets enough in scholarships that he can offset the remaining costs doing camps in the summer, although last summer didn’t work out too well. To your bigger point 9.9 scholarships are not very many when athletes are around for 6 or 7 years. Hopefully teams recruited kids who can be shifted to academic scholarships.

I assume this is legal, but not 100% sure, however others may know...I would think some of the money that comes in for fundraising, donors, etc., can be used to fund a scholarship or 2 Above the 9.9.

I assume this is legal, but not 100% sure, however others may know...I would think some of the money that comes in for fundraising, donors, etc., can be used to fund a scholarship or 2 Above the 9.9.
Basically, only academic scholarships can be given in addition to athletic scholarships for equivalency sports(like wrestling). Other scholarships count towards the 9.9 but can save the school lots of money. Let’s say you get a scholarship from a local business. It counts against the 9.9 but the school doesn’t have to pay/offset that part of your scholarship so they save money. This year there is an exception to the scholarship rule due to COVID to help families that might have lost jobs. You definitely can’t have slush fund scholarships for just wrestlers(some will argue that PSU has found a loophole) Also, next year seniors don’t count against the 9.9 scholarships. This sounds great but universities have to pick up the cost of extra scholarships so some are not allowing their teams to take advantage of this waiver.

Basically, only academic scholarships can be given in addition to athletic scholarships for equivalency sports(like wrestling). Other scholarships count towards the 9.9 but can save the school lots of money. Let’s say you get a scholarship from a local business. It counts against the 9.9 but the school doesn’t have to pay/offset that part of your scholarship so they save money. This year there is an exception to the scholarship rule due to COVID to help families that might have lost jobs. You definitely can’t have slush fund scholarships for just wrestlers(some will argue that PSU has found a loophole) Also, next year seniors don’t count against the 9.9 scholarships. This sounds great but universities have to pick up the cost of extra scholarships so some are not allowing their teams to take advantage of this waiver.
Appreciate the clarification. The last 2 sentences is what must be happening with the situation I‘m hearing about. The kid is a redshirt senior that is coming back and will be funded from other sources than the scholarship money Is what I heard, but don’t have any details beyond that. Unique times will cause some creative thinking for sure.