WILL ALEX MARINELLI COME BACK TO IOWA???

MPhillips

Appreciate the clarification. The last 2 sentences is what must be happening with the situation I‘m hearing about. The kid is a redshirt senior that is coming back and will be funded from other sources than the scholarship money Is what I heard, but don’t have any details beyond that. Unique times will cause some creative thinking for sure.
Sponsors are a thing.

MPhillips

I assume this is legal, but not 100% sure, however others may know...I would think some of the money that comes in for fundraising, donors, etc., can be used to fund a scholarship or 2 Above the 9.9.
Question No. 3: Will spring student-athletes who would have exhausted eligibility in 2019-20 and fall/winter student-athletes who would have exhausted in 2020-21 be exempt from team financial aid limits for the 2020-21 academic year or 2021-22 academic year, respectively, if they transfer to a new institution?
Answer: No.

Question No. 4: Must aid be renewed for a spring student-athlete who would have exhausted eligibility in 2019-20 and return to their same institution for the 2020-21 academic year, or for a fall/winter student-athlete who would have exhausted in 2020-21 and return to their same institution for the 2021-22 academic year?
Answer: Institutions may renew, reduce or not renew at their discretion.

Question No. 11b: For a fall/winter student-athlete who would have exhausted eligibility in 2020- 21, may an institution replace other countable aid from 2020-21 with athletics aid without triggering counter status?
Answer: Yes, provided the student-athlete's total equivalency for 2021-22 does not exceed the student-athlete's equivalency for 2020-21. For example, a student-athlete whose .75 team equivalency consisted of .50 athletics aid and .25 countable institutional aid in 2020-21, but whose other institutional aid is not available in 2021-22, may exempt up to .75 team equivalency consisting entirely of athletics aid in 2021-22.

Question No. 12: Subject to individual and team financial aid limits, for the remainder of the 2020-21 academic year, may an institution provide retroactive aid for 2020-21 to a fall/winter student-athlete who would have exhausted eligibility in 2020-21 and exempt the entire amount of aid that counted toward the team financial aid limit for 2020-21 exempt from that limit for 2021- 22?
Answer: Yes, all financial aid counted toward the team financial aid limit during 2020-21 may be considered when determining what may be exempted from the 2021-22 team financial aid limit.

Coach Root

Sponsors are a thing.
So, I know exactly how 5-6 of the big guys do it... in regards to breaching the 9.9 threshold. I'm not about to throw anyone under the bus, but I will say that it happens often. Teams have become much more creative, both, in their staffing, and the way they fund their team. The more competitive ones have realized that having a person that understands the system and how to "make it work" are amongst the most competitive every single year... At this point, others are playing catch up.

Some colleges give free tuition to employees, their spouses, and their children...does Iowa do this? If so, he doesn’t need a scholarship and it only helps the team.
NCAA rules to take advantage of that tuition remission, and not have it count against your scholarships, the employee must have been on payroll 5 years prior to athletes attendance.

eliwes

NCAA rules to take advantage of that tuition remission, and not have it count against your scholarships, the employee must have been on payroll 5 years prior to athletes attendance.
Maybe time to get a job and spend time with the wife and kids.

WGTJ

Serious question, with only 9.9 scholarships most top tier wrestlers aren't getting 100% full ride. When athletes are staying in school for 6 years or now even 7, how are they financing their education? If tuition + R&B at a school like tOSU adds up to $24k ish, say a 3x Ohio HS state champ gets a 30% scholly wrestling, and maybe another 20% academic $$, imagine graduating after 6 years being a D1 scholarship athlete and owing $60k in student loans? Crazy...
$60k in school loans is a pittance, especially nowadays.