Midwest Athletic Conference 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love to see the majority of the MAC embrace the sport. I think they could do quite well. It's just Versailles, Parkway, DSJ, and and Coldwater currently if I'm not mistaken.
Correct. Dont think there's any starting on the horizon
I think I stumbled across something on facebook not too long ago where Minster has some sort of youth wrestling club. Not sure though.
Outside of Coldwater and Versailles, most MAC schools don't have the enrollment numbers to support basketball, bowling swimming/diving and wrestling. The latter are typically the one or the other option.
Swimming and Diving is next in line. Six schools offer it as a varsity sport and St. Henry has been flirting with varsity affiliation for years.

I think I stumbled across something on facebook not too long ago where Minster has some sort of youth wrestling club. Not sure though.
Outside of Coldwater and Versailles, most MAC schools don't have the enrollment numbers to support basketball, bowling swimming/diving and wrestling. The latter are typically the one or the other option.
Swimming and Diving is next in line. Six schools offer it as a varsity sport and St. Henry has been flirting with varsity affiliation for years.
yes , the Police chief of Minster is trying to get it started....... he refs wrestling matches also, sounds like he has been doing it for a long time

If the MAC schools would have started wrestling back before Bowling and Swimming options, there might have been a chance for some more good wrestling teams. Football coaches would have urged boys to wrestle and those kids would be parents today promoting the wrestling tradition.
Football is a aggressive contact sport, and wrestling is same kind of sport that gives those kind of athletes something to do in the winter.

Not that it really matters but not only is there 0 players from the MAC, there's no MAC coaches.

Coaches that are members of the OHSFCA nominate both players and coaches by district, one player for each position and one coach from the district. The OHSFCA board then selects coaches for each team, and those coaches pick their own rosters. Look at the D4-7 North roster, Fairview's former head coach is leading the North team and chose his son at QB (no surprise) but chose 2 of his own receivers over 1st team all state Gabe Clement from Grove (who happened to have 130 yards, 1 TD, and 3 picks in the regional championship win over Fairview ;)) I'm shocked that Recker and the other South coaches didn't pick any MAC players, but there's always the possibility that the players you think should be on the roster either didn't get nominated by their coaches, or the players chose not to participate.

Just like the All-State team and every other award, there's some politics that go into it, but I would say that more than likely, many of the players that you would expect to play in the North/South game either weren't nominated by their coaches, or they declined to play

yes , the Police chief of Minster is trying to get it started....... he refs wrestling matches also, sounds like he has been doing it for a long time
I hope he succeeds! That's how the step kids school Crestview (Convoy) got the program started. The head coach of the first HS team (debut year this year) started the club, then the middle school program last year, and now the high school. I believe only 1 HS had did the club and middle school and he is going to District. I know there are some pretty talented middle schoolers that will be coming up. I think they will start competing with the Wayne Trace and Allen East sooner than expected. It doesn't hurt us Hoosiers from wrestling schools helped out as well. Biggest help was getting a multi IN state placer from Bellmont and then a few of us below average AC wrestlers that make better coaches than wrestlers helping. I think if we can get one of the AC placers to come help along with the Bellmont individual, they'll be really dangerous.

I know New Bremen was looking into out of state schools, so that seems realistic.

Looking at the teams available in week 2, Minster may have to look out of state also.

Coldwater has had very good wrestling teams. The TRC will not have 100% participation in Wrestling either. Some of the schools just can't support the numbers needed. Wrestling is one that I would think the MAC kids would embrace.

Coldwater has had very good wrestling teams. The TRC will not have 100% participation in Wrestling either. Some of the schools just can't support the numbers needed. Wrestling is one that I would think the MAC kids would embrace.
I agree. I think some of the programs could be like Lincolnview has been over the years. They sometimes field a dual team, but mostly have it for the individuals. I think if they follow that model (budgets allowing), there could be some good individuals from Ft Recovery, St Henry, and Marion Local to name a few.

There is zero interest in wrestling in Southern Mercer County.
Marion Local has great participation in Jr. High track. I believe this is from Football influencing boys to improve their athletic ability. With that in mind, nothing would improve their athletic ability more during the winter time than participating in wrestling.

Marion Local has great participation in Jr. High track. I believe this is from Football influencing boys to improve their athletic ability. With that in mind, nothing would improve their athletic ability more during the winter time than participating in wrestling.
ML has good participation in all Jr. High sports except maybe CC. As far as wresting goes as serpico said aint happening.

Marion had a all league linebacker this past year. Did he play basketball this year?
Don't know, wasn't allowed to attend the games because of DeWine's jack boot covid policies. I think 4 schools in the MAC have wrestling only 1, Coldwater has been consistently good in football and I think it has more to do with their coaches than wrestling.

Last edited:
Why ? How many MAC players ever get a football scholarship ? Heck at ML I think more athletes play college bball than football.
Depends on what you mean by scholarship. There's D2 guys coming out of the MAC this year with a couple playing at Tiffin and other places like that. Not every kid on those North/South teams are D1 guys. Plenty of D3 players playing in college on those rosters.

So there can be some unintended consequences for football if you add wrestling.

I'll give you an example. My school is a DVI school that has wrestling. We usually have between 12-15 wrestlers each year.

This year we had a sophomore who was a starting guard for the football team. His wrestling season ended this past weekend and he was talking about how he now needs to gain weight back for football. He said he play football at 206 pounds, wrestled the first part of the season at 195 and by the end of the season has gotten down to the 182 class.

Now, if this same kid had not wrestled and ibstead had started lifting for football in early December he'd probably be around 215 right now.

So that means he's currently 30+ pounds behind because he chose to wrestle.

We had four other football players who wrestled and while I don't know there specific numbers I know each of them cut weight as well.

I commend that kid (and any kid really) who cuts that kind of weight for wrestling. That provides a better frame for adding weight in terms of strength through a good weight room regiment in the spring and summer. If kids losing weight and becoming healthier as a result is a bad thing, then I think you need to re-evaluate your stance on HS athletics.

As an OLine coach and wrestling coach, there is no better combination of sport to prepare young men (and women) for life. Go wrestle, become leaner, come back to the weight room, get stronger. Rinse and repeat.

I commend that kid (and any kid really) who cuts that kind of weight for wrestling. That provides a better frame for adding weight in terms of strength through a good weight room regiment in the spring and summer. If kids losing weight and becoming healthier as a result is a bad thing, then I think you need to re-evaluate your stance on HS athletics.

As an OLine coach and wrestling coach, there is no better combination of sport to prepare young men (and women) for life. Go wrestle, become leaner, come back to the weight room, get stronger. Rinse and repeat.
Exactly. Your wrestlers will be better conditioned and will have a better frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.