Vandalia Looking For New Head Coach

In leui of a Wayne coach applying for the job, during Wayne's hey days, football players were on the basketball team, outside of DMitrik Trice, there were no good basketball players on the football team.

Not a huge deal but Dues has baseball specific workouts. Like I asked in an earlier post, where are the stud players for kids to get excited about. Outside of Decker, who was the last Butler kid to get a D1 scholly? Who wants to be a WR when the QB play is subpar? Etc.

Butler is a mystery. They have had success in the 7th & 8th grades, but you don't see it translate to Varsity.
That’s not true Ahmad Wagner played football

Any word on if they have started interviews and who they have or plan to interview? I see a lot of talk about hiring a young up and coming coach, but I see the opposite. If they can bring in an established coach that has done it before at any level is the way to go. Somebody that's done it before that can try to establish some sort of culture. Even if it's a 3 or 4 year hire. If you can get someone in to start changing the culture and moving the needle some that in turn will improve numbers which will help Butler have some sort of prolonged success. I think of a guy like Jim Place (not actually hire him but someone like him) who seems to go into places that are struggling and helping flip the culture.

I do like that especially if he can groom an assistant to take over once he leaves. I just don’t know that any established, former HC would want to take the job. I feel like there might be more stuff behind the scenes here outside of just a shallow talent pool that is off putting about the role.

So checking through this thread:

Potential coaches brought up:
Meeks (Shawnee HC)
Cates (Covington HC)
Carter (Northwestern HC)
Derge (Former Tipp HC)
Stokes (Minster HC)
Pearce (MU HC)
Skidmore (VV former HC)
Minton (UD asst)
Smith (current Asst Springfield)
Wright (Current VB Asst)
Sutherland (Current Covington Asst)
Derry (Asst Fairborn)

Handful of other names thrown around: Including Herman Boone.

One poster mentions being down to 4 or 5 candidates.

Another poster mentions 1 or 2 backing out after interviews.

A lot of speculation. Any thoughts on who the 4 or 5 are? Who were the 1 or 2?

So checking through this thread:

Potential coaches brought up:
Meeks (Shawnee HC)
Cates (Covington HC)
Carter (Northwestern HC)
Derge (Former Tipp HC)
Stokes (Minster HC)
Pearce (MU HC)
Skidmore (VV former HC)
Minton (UD asst)
Smith (current Asst Springfield)
Wright (Current VB Asst)
Sutherland (Current Covington Asst)
Derry (Asst Fairborn)

Handful of other names thrown around: Including Herman Boone.

One poster mentions being down to 4 or 5 candidates.

Another poster mentions 1 or 2 backing out after interviews.

A lot of speculation. Any thoughts on who the 4 or 5 are? Who were the 1 or 2?
Carter (NW) and Sutherland (Covington) are the 2 they make the most sense as sure candidates.

Lets get back on track. Supposedly first round interviews were this week. What the tea on this? I highly doubt that some of these old timers ya'll mention are interested in this job. Seems like there's a dark cloud over VB and ego guys like Puckett needed to see what he was about for a couple years, that's all. Everyone knew he was running back to mommy and daddy at Centerville.

Why would a wiley vet want this job? You're second tier to Baseball and apparently admin is suspect. You'd walk into a situation where you probably won't be promised autonomy and control. Guys like Strokes are already out based on that. (Meeks, Shmitty, Skidmark, Menthol, Pierce)
Dirge is attached to Tipp's rear end, he literally got RAN OUT and still stayed---talk about stage 5 clinger. This man is either Jesus himself or has no self respect.
Kates is winning...why leave that for a shot in the dark to run a program that can't consistently beat anyone in a small division? And apparently has all kinds of issues with buy in, community, etc.
Dirry I'm sure will be a HC someday, but today is not his day. He's not even licensed yet, you think VB wants a football HC that has to be an aid? Next.
Carder, also not a teacher and runs several small businesses? Sketchy. BUT he's a real candidate and would not be a bad hire.
Write is the only guy that solidifies VB at the bottom shelf. He's a good coach and good candidate, but he's also like the guy that has a kick me sign and doesn't know it. The Baseball coach will continue to giggle.
Sutherlamb, I like that guy and hes a good coach, but he probably won't touch VB again for a while. As an alumn that's saying something.

What VB needs is a guy like Burmbacker or Karns, come in and do the corny stuff to get the school hyped up about Football again and then leave for another program.

Lets get back on track. Supposedly first round interviews were this week. What the tea on this? I highly doubt that some of these old timers ya'll mention are interested in this job. Seems like there's a dark cloud over VB and ego guys like Puckett needed to see what he was about for a couple years, that's all. Everyone knew he was running back to mommy and daddy at Centerville.

Why would a wiley vet want this job? You're second tier to Baseball and apparently admin is suspect. You'd walk into a situation where you probably won't be promised autonomy and control. Guys like Strokes are already out based on that. (Meeks, Shmitty, Skidmark, Menthol, Pierce)
Dirge is attached to Tipp's rear end, he literally got RAN OUT and still stayed---talk about stage 5 clinger. This man is either Jesus himself or has no self respect.
Kates is winning...why leave that for a shot in the dark to run a program that can't consistently beat anyone in a small division? And apparently has all kinds of issues with buy in, community, etc.
Dirry I'm sure will be a HC someday, but today is not his day. He's not even licensed yet, you think VB wants a football HC that has to be an aid? Next.
Carder, also not a teacher and runs several small businesses? Sketchy. BUT he's a real candidate and would not be a bad hire.
Write is the only guy that solidifies VB at the bottom shelf. He's a good coach and good candidate, but he's also like the guy that has a kick me sign and doesn't know it. The Baseball coach will continue to giggle.
Sutherlamb, I like that guy and hes a good coach, but he probably won't touch VB again for a while. As an alumn that's saying something.

What VB needs is a guy like Burmbacker or Karns, come in and do the corny stuff to get the school hyped up about Football again and then leave for another program.
Anyone in particular you're thinking of to be that guy?
Seems like you're not too sold on any that we're listed.

My vote is Dan Baker, former Lima Perry coach. Extremely successful in turning Perry from a bottom dweller in their league, to back to back champs. Younger guy and evidently knows how to improve a program. I wonder if he applied, not sure, but haven’t seen him get another job elsewhere yet.

Lima Perry to VB is a big difference. Don't know the guy but know the league and the NWCC is bad...like REALLY bad. I would think a coach with experience at a comparable school as a HC or coordinator is more likely to happen.

Michael Derry of Fairborn is one to look at
Don't be giving them any ideas knights fan. Derry has helped make a huge difference at Fairborn. He will apply for a HC position when he is ready
Did anyone actually find out why Puckett left? I heard they told him to stop lifting so early, so he was going to bring them in after dinner hours and it wasn’t well received by administrators. Another guy told me he got fired over a parking spot. Said he kept parking in the AD’s spot. I don’t believe that, but reporting what I heard. Is going to coach at Centerville? I heard his kid plays there.
Pretty sure Puckett is now the DC for Centerville. I recall seeing that heading on his twitter account last week sometime.

Last edited:
Don't be giving them any ideas knights fan. Derry has helped make a huge difference at Fairborn. He will apply for a HC position when he is ready

Pretty sure Puckett is now the DC for Centerville. I recall seeing that heading on his twitter account last week sometime.
he’s a good coach and seems to be a better man. he’s earned it. no telling what type of HC job he will want. im sure we will find out within the next 2 years. always rooting for Greenon alumni- no doubt about it

Actually, the main reason Derge stepped down as HC was because his wife works 7 to 7 as a nurse at Miami Valley and they had very young kids, including a newborn. She is a Covid nurse right now. There is a lot more stress & time put in as a HC than as an assistant. There may have been other considerations like pressure to throw the ball more, but that was the main reason. It was strictly his decision.

Actually, the main reason Derge stepped down as HC was because his wife works 7 to 7 as a nurse at Miami Valley and they had very young kids, including a newborn. She is a Covid nurse right now. There is a lot more stress & time put in as a HC than as an assistant. There may have been other considerations like pressure to throw the ball more, but that was the main reason. It was strictly his decision.
I know you talk to Derge and he'll say it was his decision. As an outsider with Admin friends in the district, they were singing a different song. Right, wrong, indifferent, he's not leaving Tipp. Just poking fun with a little satire.

Anyone in particular you're thinking of to be that guy?
Seems like you're not too sold on any that we're listed.
Only sniffing around each guy. It's hard to get a true pulse for VB and what kind of dude they'll go for. I'm sure they'll find the diamond in the rough...or they'll hire Smitherman. He's on the market and he's proven, comes with baggage, but doesn't everyone else?
Somebody mentioned Baker--good young coach, but he stepped down from his job to look for another and has already been passed up on a few. My guess is these young Thundercats that think leading young men is found in a book need to put down the highlighters and start being real. Kids don't want librarians as HC's. Too many young coaches make the mistake of trying to re-invent coaching because they heard a joker speak at the Ohio Clinic.
Us "old timers" might not know how to make a twitter graphic, but we're seasoned like a skillet.

I know you talk to Derge and he'll say it was his decision. As an outsider with Admin friends in the district, they were singing a different song. Right, wrong, indifferent, he's not leaving Tipp. Just poking fun with a little satire.
Well, people speculate during coaching changes & give their thoughts which are often mistaken. Tipps Admin has pretty much completely turned over since then. Here is a quote from the Tipp AD at the time from the news article on Derge's resignation: "We were on the same page," Foust said on Thursday. "He understood and agreed as well. I thought everything was right. It was completely his decision. It definitely caught me off guard and surprised me."

Cates from Covington.
I’m shocked that they got an established head coach but sounds like a great hire. Best of both worlds really with a young coach that can relate to the kids and a proven HC that has won and may still have his best coaching ahead of him. Small world too my son played basketball with his younger brother Andrew years ago.