How Old Is Your Gym?

New schools have no distinct architecture. They basically all look the same. I taught and was an administrator in a 100 year old building. It will last forever. The new building that took its place maybe 25!!

Our grade school building, Delphos SJ, opened in 1913. Our high school was built in the 1950's. They are both well maintained and still do their job. And such character, charm and history. Our grade school attic has student graffiti from the 1930's to today. (The graffiti is permitted and not damaging at all.)

Attachments

• attic27 (2).JPG
    attic27 (2).JPG
    240.9 KB · Views: 59
Those pictures from Waite High School are awesome. The architecture of schools from 100 years ago is superior in every way to what it is now. Buildings from 100 or more years ago can still work just fine if the community makes the effort to maintain them, and its clear that Toledo cares a lot about their historic schools. Very cool!

I'm in college now, and the main building on the campus was built between 1868 and 1907. It's built in the Gothic style and looks almost castle-like. Lots of intricate woodwork inside too. There's even a picture of students in a classroom in 1907 that hangs in the same building it was taken in 114 years ago. Last semester part of my job on campus included sorting mail in the mail room, and it's cool to think that someone else probably did the same job in the same room 100 years ago.

Lima South High School (1917-1955), Junior High (1955 to 1992), Middle School (1992 to 2002). The original building was demolished in 2002. The new South opened in 2004 and is now a k-8 magnet school / district office I believe.

Here is the gym of the original South High / Jr. High / Middle School from 1917-2002. Road the pine for one glorious season in that gym.

South 1.jpeg
South 2.jpeg
South 3.jpeg
South 5.jpeg
South 6.jpeg
South 7.jpeg
South 8.jpeg
South 9.jpeg

Lima South High School (1917-1955), Junior High (1955 to 1992), Middle School (1992 to 2002). The original building was demolished in 2002. The new South opened in 2004 and is now a k-8 magnet school / district office I believe.

Here is the gym of the original South High / Jr. High / Middle School from 1917-2002. Road the pine for one glorious season in that gym.

View attachment 14486View attachment 14487View attachment 14488View attachment 14490View attachment 14491View attachment 14492View attachment 14493View attachment 14494
Man I remember playing there! Was Simpson playing back in the late 80s in Lima? I forget whom it was, but he was an all star, that we thought we were going to be facing but maybe he was at a diff JH school? Memory is a little fuzzy.

Last edited:
Those pictures from Waite High School are awesome. The architecture of schools from 100 years ago is superior in every way to what it is now. Buildings from 100 or more years ago can still work just fine if the community makes the effort to maintain them, and its clear that Toledo cares a lot about their historic schools. Very cool!

I'm in college now, and the main building on the campus was built between 1868 and 1907. It's built in the Gothic style and looks almost castle-like. Lots of intricate woodwork inside too. There's even a picture of students in a classroom in 1907 that hangs in the same building it was taken in 114 years ago. Last semester part of my job on campus included sorting mail in the mail room, and it's cool to think that someone else probably did the same job in the same room 100 years ago.

I saw that movie. He's still in there sorting mail surrounded by all the bodies of people tried to take his job......

Thanks for the pictures of the schools in Lima. I never knew that Lima Central and Lima South existed. I always only knew Lima Senior (I'm 61). It was interesting to read about the two schools and especially the year when both Central and South made the 8 team state finals (1935)

This has been a wonderful thread - I love all the turns it has taken. :)

Man I remember playing there! Was Simpson playing back in the late 80s in Lima? I forget whom it was, but he was an all star, that we thought we were going to be facing but maybe he was at a diff JH school? Memory is a little fuzzy.

Greg went to West Jr. High. I think most of the Simpson family went to West. Desmond Lyles went to South Jr. High.

Thanks for the pictures of the schools in Lima. I never knew that Lima Central and Lima South existed. I always only knew Lima Senior (I'm 61). It was interesting to read about the two schools and especially the year when both Central and South made the 8 team state finals (1935)

Central Dragons and South Tigers. Days gone by in Lima for sure.

With all of the Waite pics I figure it deserves a pic of the original upstairs gym. This cramped court with second level seating and a third level indoor track was used from 1914 until around 1954 when the fieldhouse was built onto the school.
DSC_0083-150x150.jpg

DSC_0088-150x150.jpg

DSC_0085-150x150.jpg

There was a time when Lima, Ohio had 2 public high schools and 3 catholic high schools (St. Rose, St. John and St. Gerard)

If it was that time frame, we were thinking it was him tho. What would we know...we were stupid kids!

I want to say Greg would've been at West between 1987 (his 7th grade year) and 1989 (his 9th grade year). Lyles was a year behind Greg at South. This is all based on my so-so math skills haha.

Berning.jpg
GYM4.jpg
GYM3.jpg
GYM2.jpg

Dick Berning Memorial Gym. Built in 1960 when they built the new school building for St. X and moved from downtown Cincinnati to Finneytown. Named after longtime basketball coach Dick Berning in 1995.

The lighting isn't great and it could definitely be a little larger, but it's a great atmosphere for a big game. It can be incredibly loud and the fans, especially on the end lines, are right on top of you. GCL games in there are incredible.

All of the gyms in the GCL are pretty similar. Majority of the seating is on one side of the gym with smaller seating on the other end. Moeller and X have smaller sections on the endlines for students, which I really think improves the atmosphere. Conference basketball games are some of the most fun events you can go to even more so than GCL football games in my opinion. Close quarters really let the student sections go at it.
IMG_4385.JPG
maxresdefault.jpg

Berning.jpg
GYM4.jpg
GYM3.jpg
GYM2.jpg

Berning Memorial Gym. Built in 1960 when they built the new school building for St. X and moved from downtown Cincinnati to Finneytown. Named after longtime basketball coach Berning in 1995.

The lighting isn't great and it could definitely be a little larger, but it's a great atmosphere for a big game. It can be incredibly loud and the fans, especially on the end lines, are right on top of you. GCL games in there are incredible.

All of the gyms in the GCL are pretty similar. Majority of the seating is on one side of the gym with smaller seating on the other end. Moeller and X have smaller sections on the endlines for students, which I really think improves the atmosphere. Conference basketball games are some of the most fun events you can go to even more so than GCL football games in my opinion. Close quarters really let the student sections go at it.
IMG_4385.JPG
maxresdefault.jpg
Great photos.
Probably unbelievable home court advantages.

Great photos.
Probably unbelievable home court advantages.
Really fun places to attend a game especially in league or against a major opponent. With the bands, students, and standing room only crowds packed in you can’t hear yourself think.

Great thread. One of my favorite things about playing basketball growing up was going around to all the different gyms and the unique layout for each one and how that would affect each game, team, and player differently.

In 8th grade I went to play at an open gym at Jackson Middle School in Stark County. Their middle school, which is probably close to 100 years old, has a tiny auxiliary gym that is clearly the school's original gym. I would guess that it was the first home court Jackson ever had. I remember it because it looked like it hadn't been changed at all since it opened. The backboards were wooden and the stands were built out of cement. The cement had so many cracks in it that parts of the stands were blocked off with yellow caution tape like it was a crime seen. I guess it wasn't safe to sit there. I'd like to think that some repairs could be made so that actual games could be played in that gym again. Any Jackson fans know what gym I am talking about, or what it is like today?

In 8th grade I went to play at an open gym at Jackson Middle School in Stark County. Their middle school, which is probably close to 100 years old, has a tiny auxiliary gym that is clearly the school's original gym. I would guess that it was the first home court Jackson ever had. I remember it because it looked like it hadn't been changed at all since it opened. The backboards were wooden and the stands were built out of cement. The cement had so many cracks in it that parts of the stands were blocked off with yellow caution tape like it was a crime seen. I guess it wasn't safe to sit there. I'd like to think that some repairs could be made so that actual games could be played in that gym again. Any Jackson fans know what gym I am talking about, or what it is like today?

classmates is your friend

This page gives a brief history of the school with eartly photos

This one has posed photos of players
Zoom in ~ place cursor over page and drag page to left
the 2 photos upper right hand corner ~ you can see the seating

:>---

SALT

View attachment 14373

Celina Fieldhouse (Dean White Court) I believe was built in 1939? Is still in use for boys and girls basketball. Capacity is around 1800. Seats are uncomfortable as hell, but when its at full capacity the crowd noise is deafening.
thats not at the high school is it? Ive ridden past the high school many times when I visited my grandparents it loos like the high school was built in the 50s or 60s

Been there a couple of times. Agreed. Really cool gym. Also a gym that could really benefit from an endline seating option. Plenty of room for it.
A wrestling fan could give a definitive answer, but I'll guess that the floor space on the end is needed to run an additional mat when WJ hosts its prestigious Ironman Tournament. They may not be able to spare a few extra feet to install retractable bleachers. You are right that "The Dome" is a cool venue.

thats not at the high school is it? Ive ridden past the high school many times when I visited my grandparents it loos like the high school was built in the 50s or 60s

No, the basketball facility they use for boys/girls varsity/jv games are located at the old jr high building adjacent to the football field. The high school has a basketball gym, which was used for girls varsity games up until early 2000s but now its just mainly for practice facilities.

It's a bit OT since it's not in Ohio, but here's the gym at the high school in my old Chicago neighborhood (lived there in the '90s and '00s, used to go to games here). Senn High School; the building just turned 108 and it's still in use.

View attachment 14839

Without the windows and the many, many banners on the wall, that would be like my old elementary gym, down to some well worn boards. Looks like a successful program. Why change, right!
nicholas sen hs 40.JPG