How Old Is Your Gym?

Gbulldog

A wrestling fan could give a definitive answer, but I'll guess that the floor space on the end is needed to run an additional mat when WJ hosts its prestigious Ironman Tournament. They may not be able to spare a few extra feet to install retractable bleachers. You are right that "The Dome" is a cool venue.
Good call...Here's a picture with the mats almost against the wall. There's a stage on the other end. They also use the Field House for the tournament.

Attachments

Struthersfan

C
Good call...Here's a picture with the mats almost against the wall. There's a stage on the other end. They also use the Field House for the tournament.
Place looks pretty good for wrestling.
But it sort of reminds me of an airplane hangar. Not the best looking gym I've even seen. :rolleyes:

kevinsea

No, the basketball facility they use for boys/girls varsity/jv games are located at the old jr high building adjacent to the football field. The high school has a basketball gym, which was used for girls varsity games up until early 2000s but now its just mainly for practice facilities.
Thank You that’s what I thought I know exactly where that is. My dad told me the Harlem Globetrotters played there once and his friends dad reffed the game and he slipped in some water and he was hurting

wildcat71

I miss the old Warren G. Harding Fieldhouse!! Went to a few tournament games there..old school atmosphere. Anyone have pictures to share??

Struthersfan

I miss the old Warren G. Harding Fieldhouse!! Went to a few tournament games there..old school atmosphere. Anyone have pictures to share??
No photos, but I was also there and loved it.
Another awesome experience was at Warren Western Reserve. Beautiful gym that sat even more than Harding. (3,200)
A shame that school was only around such a short time before they merged the two schools.

thePITman

"The Pit" at Triway High School is 58 years old and is well known for its unique nature.

We are building a new school for approximately the 2024 school year (in the design process right now), so "The Pit" may be in its last few years of existence. The new gym design is still up in the air at this point.

1614266740716.png

ysuindy

"The Pit" at Triway High School is 58 years old and is well known for its unique nature.

We are building a new school for approximately the 2024 school year (in the design process right now), so "The Pit" may be in its last few years of existence. The new gym design is still up in the air at this point.

View attachment 14956
Looks like a fantastic place to watch (and play) a game.

Love the crow's nest hanging from the rafters.

eastisbest

View attachment 14956

A suggestion I wish would have been thought of locally with a few rebuilds: if they still have wood bench seating, save them from the wrecking ball. If it's like most schools, there is a lot of history carved into those seats that can be put to good use, pieces cut up to raise funds or unique decoration in the new building by someone with an eye for such things. Or even reuse some in the student section to continue tradition.

Bull GreenDog

View attachment 14956
That's a nice looking gym. Its a shame it won't be hosting games much longer. A lot of times gyms start to show their age before they get replaced, but this one looks like its been well-maintained by Triway.