Moeller AD

Or...

“we have to avoid proactive contact for the next 2 years. If you’re excited about the prospects Moeller provides for you, reach out to us”

Is that really unethical? Sounds like good business and marketing to me.

How is it any different than having youth camps and related AAU teams at a young age? So it’s ok for the feeder kids but not for the non feeder kids? That makes no sense too.
Related AAU teams sounds like grooming and recruiting which is ok up to the OHSAA grade limit. Which by the way most infractions are self-reported because of parent misinformation / mistakes. But that would never happen at Moeller (I mean the self-reporting not the "mistakes) :)

Parochial schools cannot survive without recruiting kids to their schools.

And some public schools are doing the same damn things.

I’m not a Moeller fan and I’m even sick of the whining about them.

So what happened to the AD? There was a thread at one time in the football section but i guess it was taken down.

Parochial schools cannot survive without recruiting kids to their schools.

And some public schools are doing the same damn things.

I’m not a Moeller fan and I’m even sick of the whining about them.
I enjoyed the dichotomy before and after the football state title game between people saying st x didn’t have the athletes to keep up with pick central to after the game when they proceeded to complain that pick central had no chance to compete with st x’s hand picked recruits

And?

So they want kids to come to their school - isn’t that the point of the school existing?

And what kind of stupid rules exists that says you can recruit up to 6th grade but have to stop after that? That makes zero sense.
The "And" is that they have 2 starters that live in Springboro and some rich dude in Dayton pays for them to go to school. The guy even drove them to school before they were 16. It's weird how he didn't pay for just any kids . . . he paid for 2 kids that happen to be good at basketball.

The "And" is that they have 2 starters that live in Springboro and some rich dude in Dayton pays for them to go to school. The guy even drove them to school before they were 16. It's weird how he didn't pay for just any kids . . . he paid for 2 kids that happen to be good at basketball.

What is wrong with that (if true?). Springboro is a 20-25 minute drive to Montgomery. If the person wants to financially support them, that is his choice. I think it has worked out well for at least one of the kids, he has excelled at Moeller and he is going onto to college on a full ride at a great school.

What is wrong with that (if true?). Springboro is a 20-25 minute drive to Montgomery. If the person wants to financially support them, that is his choice. I think it has worked out well for at least one of the kids, he has excelled at Moeller and he is going onto to college on a full ride at a great school.
What's wrong with that? Seriously? Would you also be ok with just giving them money in a McDonald's bag? That's called an impermissible benefit from a booster.

What's wrong with that? Seriously? Would you also be ok with just giving them money in a McDonald's bag? That's called an impermissible benefit from a booster.

Dude, you apparently had a son who had a bad experience at Moeller. Probably didn't get to play, you thought he was the next Michael Jordan, and now your going to drag Moeller thru the mud in any way you get the chance. Grow up and move on.

Well that has nothing to do with proactively recruiting kids early so they have an interest in your school when it’s time to make a decision.

What you imply is a whole other can of worms. Also there’s no rule as to who has to pay for your tuition. And he gave them a ride to school? Oh the humanity.

It makes no sense to me that most people brush off the obvious recruiting (not in a bad sense) they do for feeder kids (camps, tournaments, AAU affiliation), but when it comes to doing the same things for an “outsider”, everyone gets butthurt.

Again, what’s the difference? Stop treating “Recruiting” as a bad word - it’s an absolute necessity.

Put it like this, you can get to Alter, Fenwick, and CJ in under half the time. If I were them, Id be pissed!

Did these school put in the same level of effort as Moeller did? Kids aren’t entitled to go to any school for any reason. Drives me crazy when people act like this.

Moeller's athletic director for the past seven and a half years is no longer at the school. School spokesperson Tara Grewe and Moeller President Marshall Hyzdu confirmed the move Thursday night. Hyzdu, the school's president since 2016 and a 1996 Moeller grad will take on additional duties as interim AD with a search beginning next month and into the spring if necessary.

No further official comment was made on Mike Asbeck's departure, but a message was sent to Moeller parents/guardians from Hyzdu.
As of today, February 4, 2021, Mike Asbeck has been terminated as an employee of Moeller High School. It is a personnel matter, so we can not go into any detail, but please know it did not involve any students.
We will begin a search for a new athletic director next month, but until we have a replacement, I will be stepping in as athletic director.
Asbeck came to Moeller in the summer of 2013 from Bishop Fenwick replacing Barry Borman who had retired after 21 years. Prior to Fenwick, he was at his alma mater Columbus DeSales for six years until 2010. During his time at Moeller, the Crusaders won state titles in football (2013), baseball (2015), basketball (2018, 2019) and lacrosse (2017).

Mike is from Columbus, he coached baseball at Columbus Academy and also Desales.

GOOD LORD PEOPLE

WHAT THE FLIP DID THE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR DO THAT WARRENTED HIM BEING FIRED ??
My brother-in law told me it had to do with him not reporting/taking action on a staff member that was arrested for assault. A female employee complained about the his Cuomo coverup and he allegedly had a "mostly peaceful" protest with this female.

Maybe it had something to do with him inheriting a proud football program coming off back to back state titles and overseeing a total collapse. Just a thought

Maybe it had something to do with him inheriting a proud football program coming off back to back state titles and overseeing a total collapse. Just a thought
Maybe but Hyzdu is responsible for the collapse by hiring Rosfeld over McLaughlin and then following that up with Naumann. (n)

Put it like this, you can get to Alter, Fenwick, and CJ in under half the time. If I were them, Id be pissed!
Which of those is an all boys school?
Moeller's athletic director for the past seven and a half years is no longer at the school. School spokesperson Tara Grewe and Moeller President Marshall Hyzdu confirmed the move Thursday night. Hyzdu, the school's president since 2016 and a 1996 Moeller grad will take on additional duties as interim AD with a search beginning next month and into the spring if necessary.

No further official comment was made on Mike Asbeck's departure, but a message was sent to Moeller parents/guardians from Hyzdu.

Asbeck came to Moeller in the summer of 2013 from Bishop Fenwick replacing Barry Borman who had retired after 21 years. Prior to Fenwick, he was at his alma mater Columbus DeSales for six years until 2010. During his time at Moeller, the Crusaders won state titles in football (2013), baseball (2015), basketball (2018, 2019) and lacrosse (2017).

Mike is from Columbus, he coached baseball at Columbus Academy and also Desales.
Golf and volleyball won state titles also during that time- not sure if boys volleyball is an OHSAA sport though,

Last edited:

Know a Dayton kid who was given a scholly to play baseball for Moe. It just isn't football & basketball.

It's called need based financial aid thru Endowment. It's been going on at catholic high schools well before you were born, and will be what sustains these schools going forward.

Dude, you apparently had a son who had a bad experience at Moeller. Probably didn't get to play, you thought he was the next Michael Jordan, and now your going to drag Moeller thru the mud in any way you get the chance. Grow up and move on.
Bingo! Dads practically throw their kids at moeller coaches. Have heard too many times some dad brag about how their kids got recruited at Moeller and would have gotten a free ride- meanwhile that kid barely cracked the roster of the freshman team at their local public. It’s always rumor and “my brothers friend or my neighbors kid”. It’s tired